SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#397530 - 12/29/14 01:10 PM Wanna do a freebie?
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
We just finished a gig at the Sr. Center here in town. Nice little crowd of 60 or so.

We used the S950 and Bose Compact...sounded good for the most part but missed the controls of the Tyros.

Anyway, lots of compliments which is always nice. We had about 20 folks up and dancing and the director told us that almost always never happens...the dancing that is...nice to know.

Now the freebie part...

One fellow in the audience, raised his hand, stopped the show and asked us who we were and how to get hold of us...so we explained..nice I thought..we picked up another gig.

After the show, he came up, and said he was with the local YMCA. Would we be interested in doing a freebie for their local Sr's. group? I asked him if the local YMCA might be willing to give us a month's free membership in trade? The Y is very pricey here. "Oh, no, he said, we don't do anything like that". "We don't do freebies".

I was surprised at my own reaction. We're supposed to do a show for free but the YMCA, who asks us to perform, won't?

Fortunately, my wife was present and I said I would consider it. I walked away...steaming just a bit. mad

We put a lot of work, time and money(equipment)into our shows.

I'm getting to the point where I resent being asked to play for free...maybe if someone would give us a keyboard or PA for free. smile

Edited by guitpic1 (12/29/14 01:11 PM)

#397535 - 12/29/14 01:45 PM Re: Wanna do a freebie? [Re: guitpic1]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I've pretty much been preaching this for years. The only places I do freebies are Veteran's Home and hospitals and a few local benefits.
I would do one for Salvation Army if they ever asked me to.
Most of the other places that want you to work for free are for-profit businesses, such as nursing homes, retirement centers, Goodwill, etc. Many other "legitimate" charities have grossly overpaid CEO's and some channel very little of their income to the actual charity. They can afford to pay and if they want me that's what they will have to do!
As far as the YMCA, or YWCA, I know they do lots of good, but I wouldn't put up with that attitude any longer than you did!
While I'm ranting. . . you wouldn't believe how man parties or barbecues or "jams" I'm invited to attend. They they'll say, "oh and bring your musical gear so you can play for us". What if I invited a plumber or a doctor or an electrician to dinner and asked them to be sure and bring their tools?
To paraphrase Rodney Dangerfield, "We don't get no respect!". What we do is considered my most as a hobby and we ought to be glad to perform for them for free, I suppose. I'm sure they don't mean it as an insult, but they sure can be ignorant sometimes.

#397536 - 12/29/14 02:56 PM Re: Wanna do a freebie? [Re: guitpic1]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
I'm with you guys. Don I'm also getting tired of people thinking we do this as an expensive hobby.

As for the Y I'd let it go and not contact them . Let me ask what would you do in this situation.

I'm a good customer of my local VFW which is run by the VFW home association. We go there frequently on Friday nights and occasionally for their Sunday dinners. I get called once and a great while to fill in for their regular Fri. night DJ. They've promised me for three years that they were going to work me into the schedule because everyone likes my combo of live keyboard and DJ better. They don't move fast here to make changes so its been status quo.
Once a year they have a Clambake Picnic fundraiser. The Fri night guy Dj's outside and I do indoors. I've done it for free for three years. Here's the hitch. All the volunteers still have to buy tickets. $35 ea. It seems too many people were volunteering just for free tickets so everyone must pay. My wife works the 50/50 table and I play and DJ. Last year I was on for 8 1/2 hours. Picnic was 12 to 6 and I stayed for a bit of after-party, and paid $70 to do so for our two tickets.
I am friends with lots of people there but after three years feel I've done enough. How do I bow out gracefully ?

#397537 - 12/29/14 03:39 PM Re: Wanna do a freebie? [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Welcome to the club. One of the things I always ask the folks that ask for freebees is what they do for a living. Then I inform them that I will perform for free when they come to my house and build my new garage for free, or mow my lawn, or whatever they do. The same rules apply to those asking for a discount. I tell them I'll give them the same discount they give me. When they tell me they're "Non-Profit" I usually respond by telling them I'm not.

Once in a while I was doing a freebee for the local VA Hospital, that was until I discovered they were paying a KJ guy I know $200 for three hours. The next time they asked, I said that I would do it for the same rate as the KJ - that was the last time I heard from them.

Of course, you always get requests from friends you have not seen in years to attend parties, and to please bring your gear. To those requests I merely tell them I'm booked to perform for another private, whether it's true or not. It's the most graceful way to bow out without offending anyone. Eventually, they get the hint, and some will actually offer to pay your normal rate and provide a meal to boot.

Don is right, We don't get any respect!" Well, dammit, I think we've earned it.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#397539 - 12/29/14 03:46 PM Re: Wanna do a freebie? [Re: Bill Lewis]
wrinkles303 Offline

Loc: worthington ,ohio
Just say you're not available on that date/s. If they ask me why, I tell them that I have a engagement or studio/production event that I commited to due to the amount of money was already paid.. The next year if they ask , tell them the same. Soon they will find someone else to play for free. Or tell them truth that you no longer do freebies no matter what the cause.

#397543 - 12/29/14 05:16 PM Re: Wanna do a freebie? [Re: guitpic1]
Bill Lewis Offline

That was my first thought. "sorry I'm already working" Funny because some of the regular staff who work there don't attend because they have other jobs and its accepted. Forgot to mention we also pay $70 a year to belong to the Home Association and in addition to being regular customers we donate to a lot of events they have. This Thanksgiving they hosted a group of Recruits from the Coast Guard Acadmey for dinner and we donated a good amout of food. Its all worth it for those things.

#397544 - 12/29/14 06:17 PM Re: Wanna do a freebie? [Re: Bill Lewis]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Originally Posted By: Bill Lewis
I'm with you guys. Don I'm also getting tired of people thinking we do this as an expensive hobby.

As for the Y I'd let it go and not contact them . Let me ask what would you do in this situation.

I'm a good customer of my local VFW which is run by the VFW home association. We go there frequently on Friday nights and occasionally for their Sunday dinners. I get called once and a great while to fill in for their regular Fri. night DJ. They've promised me for three years that they were going to work me into the schedule because everyone likes my combo of live keyboard and DJ better. They don't move fast here to make changes so its been status quo.
Once a year they have a Clambake Picnic fundraiser. The Fri night guy Dj's outside and I do indoors. I've done it for free for three years. Here's the hitch. All the volunteers still have to buy tickets. $35 ea. It seems too many people were volunteering just for free tickets so everyone must pay. My wife works the 50/50 table and I play and DJ. Last year I was on for 8 1/2 hours. Picnic was 12 to 6 and I stayed for a bit of after-party, and paid $70 to do so for our two tickets.
I am friends with lots of people there but after three years feel I've done enough. How do I bow out gracefully ?

Just say no. smile
Or maybe tell them if you are going to pay $70., you want to be able to enjoy the festivities for a change.

#397556 - 12/30/14 04:27 AM Re: Wanna do a freebie? [Re: guitpic1]
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
You could be missing an opportunity here .

There is no need to treat this kind of request in any different way than any other sales lead . Tell them simply that this is what you do for a living and tell them your rates and your availability and you would be happy to try and fit them in your schedule if the cost can be agreed . Then see what they say . They will either engage in some form of negotiation or not . There is no downside here. Either you will secure a booking you did not expect to get or not .

Be truthful , be clear and be polite . You are professionals so be professional and you will be treated like one .

#397558 - 12/30/14 05:09 AM Re: Wanna do a freebie? [Re: spalding1968]
Keith W. Bailey Offline

Loc: New Castle Indiana USA
I played off and on for a retirement home and for free. Then I asked for $25.00 per I hour program. They didn't call me but twice! I felt that if my time wasn't valuable to them! I would not come. Gas , equiptment and still they wanted it free!

#397562 - 12/30/14 07:55 AM Re: Wanna do a freebie? [Re: spalding1968]
Bill Lewis Offline

Don't think trying to charge them now would be a good way to go. "Horse is out of the barn" Once I started "donating" my services its expected. Try to be a nice guy and you get labeled.
I did suggest that next year I don't do the actual party times of 12-6 but come on afterwards to keep thing going. A lot of people still want to hang out and party and the bar does great. I had trouble quitting at 8:30 last year. The response was that's a great idea but no mention of paying me for it so the only ones making out would be the bartenders and the VFW.
BTW the thing that started me thinking of bailing next year is the fact I found out that the bartenders keep all their tips that day and make out big time. And because its their regular shift day they don't have to buy tickets. They are all volunteeers too but I just feel that everyone invloved should be donating their time that day.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online