SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#396383 - 11/25/14 03:27 PM centre point space station keyboard amp
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Has anyone had any experience of using this keyboard amp. It is getting very very positive reviews on Sweetwater and on various forms on the Internet.

http://www.centerpointstereo.com/buy.php

Edited by spalding1968 (11/25/14 03:28 PM)

#396388 - 11/25/14 07:18 PM Re: centre point space station keyboard amp [Re: spalding1968]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Sounds like a lot of money for a 100 watt amp, that makes some pretty brash claims, but clearly states on the front panel that it's a monitor.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#396391 - 11/25/14 10:55 PM Re: centre point space station keyboard amp [Re: spalding1968]
spalding1968 Offline

It's definately a keyboard amp and it has 100 percent rave reviews on sweet water and on music player forum by some very skeptical musicians until they bought it and used it .

It gives 300 degrees dispersion like the bose L1 but in stereo ! I am really keen to try one . Read here http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2602284/25

Here is just one review

"The Traynor K4 is a stereo "pretender". The stereo effect is hardly noticeable. Besides I didn't like it for digitalpiano because it colored the sound in a very unpleasant way. BTW back then I had bought the Traynor K4 based on internet reviews. Big mistake.

But now the good news: I received my Spacestation V3 this week. I also bought it only based on the reviews here in the KC forum. What a good call! Blissfull auditory sensations! And it reproduces digitalpiano sounds pretty nicely. MUCH better than any keyboard amp I ever used. To my ears the basic sound quailty level is very similar to good active speakers. But the latter lack the CPS sensation. When you open the "Wide" control the stereo cloud just spreads everywhere. Very cool little speaker with big sound "

And this one .

I just came home from a rehearsal in a small studio, maybe a 12x15 room with a drum set and some clutter. We had 5 people in there including the drummer. Because this is for a jazz piano gig I brought my PC3 instead of my SK1. I was jammed against the back wall looking at the drummer with the SS literally right beside my drum throne, if it was up high enough I could have sat on it. That's usually a very bad spot for a keyboard speaker but the SS sounded just great.

The Kurz pianos sounded really good but when I played some EP and turned up the stereo mod wheel that whole room was filled with stereo EP swirling all over. In that small room at volume it sounded like it was coming from everywhere like pure surround sound and this is with me right on top of the thing. I really couldn't believe it, it was very impressive.

When we finished one particular song the drummer said, man what is that little amp? It's his studio and he knows equipment. When we finished I stayed and played some stuff for him including the KB3 organ for about 15 minutes and he was looking it over and was really impressed. The KB3 sounded really good too. Not quite up to my SK1 but very good nonetheless. This amp makes any keyboard sound better than it's ever sounded and it's not just the stereo, the tonal quality is excellent too, very hifi like.

I know after all my posts I'm sounding like I work for Aspen. I don't but I also know what so many of you are looking for in a keyboard amp because I've been looking for the same thing for oh, 30 years. This amp is it for me, I'm never using anything else unless this one gets destroyed or otherwise dies.

Edited by spalding1968 (11/25/14 11:15 PM)

#396396 - 11/26/14 12:43 AM Re: centre point space station keyboard amp [Re: spalding1968]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Great find, Spalding. This is something I was looking for as well. I tried the Traynor K4, and although it was acceptable with a digital piano (both a Yamaha and a Roland), it sounded pretty lame on my demo arranger at the time, which was a PSR-S910. Even at a reasonably short distance, the stereo field was very hard to distinguish, although, to be fair, the K4 sounded far better than a single Bose or a mono Keyboard amp.

I certainly can't speak for others, but I suspect that many here will want the Spacestation to be a stereo PA system and expect it to carry vocals as well as the arranger. I think in a smaller sized venue it would be fine, but whether it would project far enough (especially against a Bose) for bigger rooms remains to be seen. Perhaps more reviews will give us this info. As far as stereo sound, I suspect it will blow away a single Bose system; the latter I have tried and found extremely poor for reproducing Stereo sound from my arranger (although, to be fair, the Bose was quite good in coverage).

I should add that the best stereo PA system I've ever used was two Bose Standard L1's... stereo separation was very good even at a considerable distance, and they covered quite an area. However, this was a very expensive setup ( I rented mine), and, although a PA should only be a one time buy, the cost will turn off most people.

If I was to ever get back to gigging full time, especially with another player (guitarist/vocalist) I'd invest in two Bose L1's without any hesitation, as nothing gives the spread, coverage, and stereo separation like they do.

If the Spacestation would do as good or better than two Bose Compacts (in stereo - in mono, a single Compact sounds lame to my ears)), I'd say they (Aspen) have a winner, and I will quite likely look into getting one to use here in my apartment, and replacing my two Yamaha MS-60S's that serve the Tyros4 at present.

The weight of the Spacestaion seems a little high at 40 lbs, but, that will also depend on how balanced it is for carrying. I think it would make a superior keyboard stage monitor, especially for clonewheels and digital pianos, and hopefully, we'll hear from someone on how it performs using an arranger keyboard.

Again, great find...you always manage to dig out the greatest stuff.

Ian

#396398 - 11/26/14 02:59 AM Re: centre point space station keyboard amp [Re: spalding1968]
ianmcnll Offline

I just noticed it also has a Sub Woofer output...très cool!

Ian

#396400 - 11/26/14 04:16 AM Re: centre point space station keyboard amp [Re: spalding1968]
spalding1968 Offline

yes I am pretty sure this wil be my first big purchase for the new year.

I have always wanted o get a Bose for the coverage but the costs and lack of stereo has been a real issue for me. But an amp such as this in the price range it is , is an answered prayer to a keyboard player.

Certainly all the reviews I have read have been very positive and it appears to achieve wide dispersion in stereo which is really the only way sound should be heard in my opinion.

I am going to contact dikki and see what he thinks as for me , noone knows how to critique a product as well as him. (I mean that in a positive way and as a complimnet to Dikki.

I only wish I could actually try one before I buy....

#396402 - 11/26/14 06:04 AM Re: centre point space station keyboard amp [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
Sounds like a lot of money for a 100 watt amp, that makes some pretty brash claims, but clearly states on the front panel that it's a monitor.

Gary cool

Ditto.......big time!! wink

#396404 - 11/26/14 07:07 AM Re: centre point space station keyboard amp [Re: spalding1968]
mirza Offline

Loc: london,ontario.canada
I don't even see why buying a keyboard amp in the first place.Powered speakers are much better and more versatile choice. Especially at that price.

TYROS 5,BEHRINGER X32PRODUCER,YAMAHA DSR112,JBL PRX618s XLF,EV ZLX12p,SENNHEISER E945,....ETC

#396406 - 11/26/14 07:09 AM Re: centre point space station keyboard amp [Re: spalding1968]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: spalding1968
yes I am pretty sure this wil be my first big purchase for the new year.

I have always wanted o get a Bose for the coverage but the costs and lack of stereo has been a real issue for me. But an amp such as this in the price range it is , is an answered prayer to a keyboard player.

Certainly all the reviews I have read have been very positive and it appears to achieve wide dispersion in stereo which is really the only way sound should be heard in my opinion.

I only wish I could actually try one before I buy....

The price is excellent, especially if it delivers on its promises. I sent the link to a buddy of mine who has a Hammond XK-3c double manual (he uses the internal Leslie sim) and he's going to try and find out more as well, and perhaps try a Spacestation out when available.

He's very interested, especially at that more than reasonable price tag.

A rotary speaker simulator always sounds at its best through a stereo system...I suspect the rotary sim in my Tyros4 will also react the same way.

Definitely a clever idea, and just might break new ground if it can be used in PA speakers.

Ian

PS...not that it matters all that much, but it is a really cool looking rig.

#396409 - 11/26/14 07:56 AM Re: centre point space station keyboard amp [Re: spalding1968]
spalding1968 Offline

its a 200 Watt amp not 100 and achieves stereo sound in prerty much every part of a room. powered speakers can only achieve stereo in a single spot in any room !! thats why I am really intersted in this amp. it can also be used as a PA.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online