Walter McLaren Offline

Loc: Borders. Scotland
Good one Alec!!!.
Walter.

#39642 - 06/08/02 06:56 AM Re: Chord Modify change
technicsplayer Offline

I did not mean to put Gerbo off, it was just meant as a joke

To give a practical example:

In my last song I had a string line in the accompaniments in 5ths. The song was in F so when changing to the relative minor of Dm the string line would normally change from C to A.

To make the backing more harmonically interesting, I wanted to keep the strings in A for these particular measures, while the rest of the bass and accompaniment went into the relative minor. Thus the high strings would sail on regardless as the rest of backing changed gear, a very interesting effect.

In the past this was easy to do after the event in a sequence, because you just went into note edit and changed the note in the measure you wanted. But you could not neccessarily play it live in all circumstances in just that measure in a song you wanted it.

The chord modify change enables you to choose not only how each track of the accompaniment reacts to chord changes, but each individual note of the accompaniment can be programmed to respond in a different way to each other note in any track.

Thus I could go to the composer and change the behaviour of this note in this accomp track to keep the A constant, while the rest of the accomp reacted to the relative minor chord.

I have often mentioned the chord modify change in the past but never with much feedback, since I think it is one of the big advances on the Kn6000 giving great flexibility for a really harmonically rich backing - sounding quite unlike the general pattern generators on much rival gear. There are 23 types of response to chords programmable for each note and track in the accompaniment. Highlighted it enthusiastically on page 49, for those interested.

#39643 - 06/08/02 11:47 AM Re: Chord Modify change
Walter McLaren Offline

Loc: Borders. Scotland
Quote:
Originally posted by Walter McLaren:
Good one Alec!!!.
Walter.

Hi Alec, that's how I took it, I have a funny and twisted sense off humour, (wife quote), probably some have noticed it. Regards. Walter.

#39644 - 06/08/02 01:18 PM Re: Chord Modify change
Bud Whipple Offline

Loc: The Plantation, Leesburg, Flor...
Alec, I got a chuckle out of your answer, too. I've noticed the chord modify change, and I've seen you mention it, but since I didn't know what it was, didn't use it, I just didn't bother with it, or even try to learn more. Now you have my interest up, so I'll turn to page 49, give it a read and see if I can make something of it. I don't wander far from the music sheet when I play, but there have been too many times when the chord change has been jerky and odd sounding, so maybe this has been the answer all along. Once again, you've shown the way!

#39645 - 06/12/02 01:52 PM Re: Chord Modify change
gerbo Offline

Loc: Vaassen, Netherlands
nice joke , and thanks for the info!!

Gerbo

[This message has been edited by gerbo (edited 06-12-2002).]

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online