SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#42714 - 06/01/02 05:26 AM Reverse Low Tom
Bart_dup1 Offline

Hi,

In a song I want to insert a "reverse low tom" sound. In the standard sounds there is a "reverse snare" sound and a "reverse crash" sound, but I cannot find a "reverse low tom" sound.
Is it possible to create this sound in the sound edit menu ?

I hope someone can help me...

with kind regards,
Bart

#42715 - 06/01/02 06:49 AM Re: Reverse Low Tom
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi Bart, Just a suggestion but it may put you on the right track....
In the sound editing facility, have a look at the envelope, filter etc parameters of the reverse snare drum and maybe thye reverse cymbal, and make a note of all relevant settings. Start with a basic Tom-Tom sound and then alter the envelope, filter etc parameters until you achieve a desired sound. Another way that occurs to me - load the snare or maybe even cymbal sound and then in the editor, change the original sound to Tom-Tom.
I haven't done very much in the way of editing sounds except in the Easy Edit function so what I've suggested may not be the best solution. If I get a chance this weekend, I'll have a play with this on my KN6000. I'm sure you will get some other suggestions from members of the forum.

Good Luck

------------------
Willum

[This message has been edited by Bill Norrie (edited 06-01-2002).]

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#42716 - 06/01/02 11:31 AM Re: Reverse Low Tom
technicsplayer Offline

I'm afraid the reverse sounds are actual samples and have been manipulated in a wave editor to be a mirror image of the original waveform before being made into the ROM. Thus the envelope settings for them are no help in substituting other sounds since you need a sample with a waveform decay at the beginning and a reverse transient at the end, the exact opposite of all the normal drum samples in the machine.

For simulation you would need a constant bass type sound and adjust a slow attack and peak with a high sustain 2 envelope. Swamp it with enough reverb and a suitable dsp and you might get something to pass muster in a mix with other things playing.

I would be inclined to use the sound edit menu rather than the drum edit because there you have a valuable delay available enabling a second sample to be superimposed at the end of the sound, time aligned with the reverse envelope of the first sample. You could use an actual drum sample with its envelope attack and decay adjusted to disguise the origin of the sound on this second sample, preventing it sounding too 'normal'.

#42717 - 06/09/02 03:11 AM Re: Reverse Low Tom
Bart_dup1 Offline

By the way, I need this sound for the song "It's my life" from Bon Jovi.
So far, I've tried several settings, but I'am not satisfied with the result yet. Maybe I must wait on the KN7000 where I can mix and edit audio

#42718 - 06/09/02 04:30 AM Re: Reverse Low Tom
technicsplayer Offline

very good point... I wonder if you can sync the sequencer to an audio file, or just play along with it live?
If sync, you could sample your favourite snare drum on the pc, and use that!

#42719 - 06/11/02 08:30 AM Re: Reverse Low Tom
Sparky Offline

Loc: lewiston maine usa
Can't help you with the sound of Bon Jovi, but I wanted to mention his keyboard set-up. He uses multiple key sounds and multiple external sound generators and amps the up with one heck of a system. He layers many sounds on some songs and getting that power from one keyboard is not posible. I believe its more the way the sound resonates through the amps that define the true tone you are looking for, more than the instrument itself.
combining multiple tone generators gives him hundreds of note poly. He has some huge sounds. Wouldn't we all want to have his sound. But anyways he gets his sound from more than just one board. He has a real cool video on his keyboards and key playing. He is awesome!

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online