SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#396383 - 11/25/14 03:27 PM centre point space station keyboard amp
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Has anyone had any experience of using this keyboard amp. It is getting very very positive reviews on Sweetwater and on various forms on the Internet.

http://www.centerpointstereo.com/buy.php

Edited by spalding1968 (11/25/14 03:28 PM)

#396388 - 11/25/14 07:18 PM Re: centre point space station keyboard amp [Re: spalding1968]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Sounds like a lot of money for a 100 watt amp, that makes some pretty brash claims, but clearly states on the front panel that it's a monitor.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#396391 - 11/25/14 10:55 PM Re: centre point space station keyboard amp [Re: spalding1968]
spalding1968 Offline

It's definately a keyboard amp and it has 100 percent rave reviews on sweet water and on music player forum by some very skeptical musicians until they bought it and used it .

It gives 300 degrees dispersion like the bose L1 but in stereo ! I am really keen to try one . Read here http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2602284/25

Here is just one review

"The Traynor K4 is a stereo "pretender". The stereo effect is hardly noticeable. Besides I didn't like it for digitalpiano because it colored the sound in a very unpleasant way. BTW back then I had bought the Traynor K4 based on internet reviews. Big mistake.

But now the good news: I received my Spacestation V3 this week. I also bought it only based on the reviews here in the KC forum. What a good call! Blissfull auditory sensations! And it reproduces digitalpiano sounds pretty nicely. MUCH better than any keyboard amp I ever used. To my ears the basic sound quailty level is very similar to good active speakers. But the latter lack the CPS sensation. When you open the "Wide" control the stereo cloud just spreads everywhere. Very cool little speaker with big sound "

And this one .

I just came home from a rehearsal in a small studio, maybe a 12x15 room with a drum set and some clutter. We had 5 people in there including the drummer. Because this is for a jazz piano gig I brought my PC3 instead of my SK1. I was jammed against the back wall looking at the drummer with the SS literally right beside my drum throne, if it was up high enough I could have sat on it. That's usually a very bad spot for a keyboard speaker but the SS sounded just great.

The Kurz pianos sounded really good but when I played some EP and turned up the stereo mod wheel that whole room was filled with stereo EP swirling all over. In that small room at volume it sounded like it was coming from everywhere like pure surround sound and this is with me right on top of the thing. I really couldn't believe it, it was very impressive.

When we finished one particular song the drummer said, man what is that little amp? It's his studio and he knows equipment. When we finished I stayed and played some stuff for him including the KB3 organ for about 15 minutes and he was looking it over and was really impressed. The KB3 sounded really good too. Not quite up to my SK1 but very good nonetheless. This amp makes any keyboard sound better than it's ever sounded and it's not just the stereo, the tonal quality is excellent too, very hifi like.

I know after all my posts I'm sounding like I work for Aspen. I don't but I also know what so many of you are looking for in a keyboard amp because I've been looking for the same thing for oh, 30 years. This amp is it for me, I'm never using anything else unless this one gets destroyed or otherwise dies.

Edited by spalding1968 (11/25/14 11:15 PM)

#396396 - 11/26/14 12:43 AM Re: centre point space station keyboard amp [Re: spalding1968]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Great find, Spalding. This is something I was looking for as well. I tried the Traynor K4, and although it was acceptable with a digital piano (both a Yamaha and a Roland), it sounded pretty lame on my demo arranger at the time, which was a PSR-S910. Even at a reasonably short distance, the stereo field was very hard to distinguish, although, to be fair, the K4 sounded far better than a single Bose or a mono Keyboard amp.

I certainly can't speak for others, but I suspect that many here will want the Spacestation to be a stereo PA system and expect it to carry vocals as well as the arranger. I think in a smaller sized venue it would be fine, but whether it would project far enough (especially against a Bose) for bigger rooms remains to be seen. Perhaps more reviews will give us this info. As far as stereo sound, I suspect it will blow away a single Bose system; the latter I have tried and found extremely poor for reproducing Stereo sound from my arranger (although, to be fair, the Bose was quite good in coverage).

I should add that the best stereo PA system I've ever used was two Bose Standard L1's... stereo separation was very good even at a considerable distance, and they covered quite an area. However, this was a very expensive setup ( I rented mine), and, although a PA should only be a one time buy, the cost will turn off most people.

If I was to ever get back to gigging full time, especially with another player (guitarist/vocalist) I'd invest in two Bose L1's without any hesitation, as nothing gives the spread, coverage, and stereo separation like they do.

If the Spacestation would do as good or better than two Bose Compacts (in stereo - in mono, a single Compact sounds lame to my ears)), I'd say they (Aspen) have a winner, and I will quite likely look into getting one to use here in my apartment, and replacing my two Yamaha MS-60S's that serve the Tyros4 at present.

The weight of the Spacestaion seems a little high at 40 lbs, but, that will also depend on how balanced it is for carrying. I think it would make a superior keyboard stage monitor, especially for clonewheels and digital pianos, and hopefully, we'll hear from someone on how it performs using an arranger keyboard.

Again, great find...you always manage to dig out the greatest stuff.

Ian

#396398 - 11/26/14 02:59 AM Re: centre point space station keyboard amp [Re: spalding1968]
ianmcnll Offline

I just noticed it also has a Sub Woofer output...très cool!

Ian

#396400 - 11/26/14 04:16 AM Re: centre point space station keyboard amp [Re: spalding1968]
spalding1968 Offline

yes I am pretty sure this wil be my first big purchase for the new year.

I have always wanted o get a Bose for the coverage but the costs and lack of stereo has been a real issue for me. But an amp such as this in the price range it is , is an answered prayer to a keyboard player.

Certainly all the reviews I have read have been very positive and it appears to achieve wide dispersion in stereo which is really the only way sound should be heard in my opinion.

I am going to contact dikki and see what he thinks as for me , noone knows how to critique a product as well as him. (I mean that in a positive way and as a complimnet to Dikki.

I only wish I could actually try one before I buy....

#396402 - 11/26/14 06:04 AM Re: centre point space station keyboard amp [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
Sounds like a lot of money for a 100 watt amp, that makes some pretty brash claims, but clearly states on the front panel that it's a monitor.

Gary cool

Ditto.......big time!! wink

#396404 - 11/26/14 07:07 AM Re: centre point space station keyboard amp [Re: spalding1968]
mirza Offline

Loc: london,ontario.canada
I don't even see why buying a keyboard amp in the first place.Powered speakers are much better and more versatile choice. Especially at that price.

TYROS 5,BEHRINGER X32PRODUCER,YAMAHA DSR112,JBL PRX618s XLF,EV ZLX12p,SENNHEISER E945,....ETC

#396406 - 11/26/14 07:09 AM Re: centre point space station keyboard amp [Re: spalding1968]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: spalding1968
yes I am pretty sure this wil be my first big purchase for the new year.

I have always wanted o get a Bose for the coverage but the costs and lack of stereo has been a real issue for me. But an amp such as this in the price range it is , is an answered prayer to a keyboard player.

Certainly all the reviews I have read have been very positive and it appears to achieve wide dispersion in stereo which is really the only way sound should be heard in my opinion.

I only wish I could actually try one before I buy....

The price is excellent, especially if it delivers on its promises. I sent the link to a buddy of mine who has a Hammond XK-3c double manual (he uses the internal Leslie sim) and he's going to try and find out more as well, and perhaps try a Spacestation out when available.

He's very interested, especially at that more than reasonable price tag.

A rotary speaker simulator always sounds at its best through a stereo system...I suspect the rotary sim in my Tyros4 will also react the same way.

Definitely a clever idea, and just might break new ground if it can be used in PA speakers.

Ian

PS...not that it matters all that much, but it is a really cool looking rig.

#396409 - 11/26/14 07:56 AM Re: centre point space station keyboard amp [Re: spalding1968]
spalding1968 Offline

its a 200 Watt amp not 100 and achieves stereo sound in prerty much every part of a room. powered speakers can only achieve stereo in a single spot in any room !! thats why I am really intersted in this amp. it can also be used as a PA.

#396410 - 11/26/14 08:06 AM Re: centre point space station keyboard amp [Re: spalding1968]
ianmcnll Offline

As I implied above, Spalding, this amp/speacker won't be for everyone...but, the important thing is...it just might be for us!

Michael Boddicker seemed very impressed with the system, and he's a pro in every sense of the word.

A Traynor K4 is well over $1000...you could get the SpaceStation and a nice powered Sub for close to that.

Ian

#396416 - 11/26/14 09:44 AM Re: centre point space station keyboard amp [Re: spalding1968]
Dnj Offline

You need separation for stereo...I wouldn't buy it unless I played thru it.........unless you can return it.
remember the player makes it sound good not the amp..

#396420 - 11/26/14 09:58 AM Re: centre point space station keyboard amp [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj
You need separation for stereo...I wouldn't buy it unless I played thru it.........unless you can return it.
remember the player makes it sound good not the amp..

Maybe...but if you play a crap keyboard sound or style through it, don't be surprised if it doesn't sound good either.

Plus, many people are using SMF nowadays, so often talent isn't necessary to have a great sound. Just press "Play".

It produces separation, Donny...this, remember, is quite a new concept, so other rules regarding stereo keyboard amps like the Traynor K4 don't apply. The Traynor's separation falls off really quickly, whereas the Spacestation projects the stereo image for a much longer distance.

I think it would be terrific for small to medium gigs and avoid that mono plainness that comes from using a mono amp/speaker or a single Bose, but still be able to have the convenience of only one speaker/amp setup, especially if one is doing multiple gigs.

In any case, I'm certainly interested.

Ian

#396421 - 11/26/14 10:02 AM Re: centre point space station keyboard amp [Re: spalding1968]
Dnj Offline

I hear it doesn't have much bottom end also only goes down to 90db ?..
there are many better choices out there for KB amplification ...
if anyone feels they want to spend that kind of money to find out so be it its their prerogative....I wish them luck.

your put down of using SMF of which I use none anyway I won't even address.

Please after you buy one share your reviews also...

Edited by Dnj (11/26/14 10:08 AM)

#396423 - 11/26/14 10:22 AM Re: centre point space station keyboard amp [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

I hear it doesn't have much bottom end also only goes down to 90db ?..
there are many better choices out there for KB amplification ...
if anyone feels they want to spend that kind of money to find out so be it its their prerogative....I wish them luck.

your put down of using SMF of which I use none anyway I won't even address.

Please after you buy one share your reviews also...

The amp has a sub out, so no issues with bottom end, and even with the sub, it's still under the price of a Traynor K4.

SMF are what they are...nothing more...no put down whatsoever, but, it certainly doesn't take a whole bunch of talent to load in a SMF, press play and sing over it...the resulting product is then focused on the capability/talent of the singer, not the arranger...but I digress.

There should be all kinds of reviews out once it's on the market...I won't order one till I actually try one out in the store.

In any case, if it proves to work well, it will save a fair amount of fuss when gigging.

Ian

PS...it's probably not going to be ideal for player/ vocalists, unless they run in/out of a separate mixer or use the keyboard's mic input as in this demo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL-GImXEaHk

Here it is used with a sub woofer and a stringed instrument player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_VnqSRprYA

#396425 - 11/26/14 11:11 AM Re: centre point space station keyboard amp [Re: ianmcnll]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
SMF are what they are...nothing more...no put down whatsoever, but, it certainly doesn't take a whole bunch of talent to load in a SMF, press play and sing over it...the resulting product is then focused on the capability/talent of the singer, not the arranger...but I digress.

So your saying the "talent" it takes to record tracks and play/create a SMF backing track to play on top of and sing....doesn't mean anything? What talent is operating an automatic "Style" you didn't create which are smaller Midi files also just sayin' playing a few chords to trigger them? The style vs SMF thing is getting really old at his point I'd say...crating music in any fashion should be respected and enjoyed... keys

#396427 - 11/26/14 11:14 AM Re: centre point space station keyboard amp [Re: spalding1968]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I almost went for the SFX100...the original Spacestation...it's design really works, problem, it was underpowered, and had no real bottom...
The new model is spec'd at 280 watts, (nearly 3 times the original)..
It still only goes down to 100kw...not exceptable, without a sub..
Although a lot of folks here on SZ use sound systems that only go down to 90 kw, and they seem happy...Personally I need sub 40 kw...Good news the sub out will give you a collective out for the added woofer..

What is funny, the Bose folk are knocking the same attributes of their Bose Compact...

Listening to the demo, you can actually hear the difference in the sound quality....

Add a sub woofer and this may be the system to beat in moderate size venues....It takes the dispersement of the Bose a big step farther...I recall the ripple effect explained before, illustrating the overlap when using two Bose in a stereo position..causing phase cancelation..This design answers that problem, and is explained very acurately..

I would love to see this design with a decent bottom, but I think it would take too much modification in the housing design, speaker size and overall weight...

Edited by Fran Carango (11/26/14 11:18 AM)

#396431 - 11/26/14 11:57 AM Re: centre point space station keyboard amp [Re: spalding1968]
ianmcnll Offline

I don't think I'd do without the sub if I was to get the Spacestation...I like lots of low end, too. Even with the sub, the Spacestation is still very competitive price-wise with other keyboard amps/monitors without one.

I hope it delivers what's been promised.

Ian

#396434 - 11/26/14 12:09 PM Re: centre point space station keyboard amp [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll

So your saying the "talent" it takes to record tracks and play/create a SMF backing track to play on top of and sing....doesn't mean anything?

If you actually read my post, you'd realize that is not what I said.

A SMF is still a pre-recorded background of a full song, no matter who created it...if you can make your own, that's peachy.

However, anyone can take said SMF, load it into a keyboard or file player, press PLAY, and then sing over it. Then, the actual talent becomes how well the singer performs, because they aren't actually playing while singing...it's basically Karaoke.

Of course, nothing wrong with Karaoke...it's very popular.

Kudos on making your own files.

Ian

#396438 - 11/26/14 12:26 PM Re: centre point space station keyboard amp [Re: spalding1968]
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
We had a discussion on this amp's initial intro in 2006.

The Groove tube SX100. I went to Guitar center and they let me try it for 30 days. I took it back the same day. I wasn't impressed.

http://www.synthzone.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/92205/Groove_Tube_SFX_100

Regards,

JerryGHR

#396440 - 11/26/14 12:46 PM Re: centre point space station keyboard amp [Re: spalding1968]
ianmcnll Offline

I think they are now demoing Ver.3 of the Spacestation (name changed to protect the guilty) so perhaps more than a few things have changed since it's initial intro of 8 years ago.

A relatively small system like this with a big sound and wide stereo spread will be welcomed by many players, not just keyboardists, so I hope it delivers all that's been claimed.

Ian

#396445 - 11/26/14 02:27 PM Re: centre point space station keyboard amp [Re: spalding1968]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
BTW: I meant to say 100 HZ not KW.....We should not judge the new Spacestation to the old Groovetube or original.....surely there is a vast improvement spec wise...
It would be like me, not trying a Tyros 4 after my experiece with a PSR2100 smile

#396467 - 11/27/14 05:13 AM Re: centre point space station keyboard amp [Re: spalding1968]
spalding1968 Offline

This is a very comprehensive review from a jazz musician on the music player forum . He was at the amp show last month where an entire band , keys guitar bass and vocals all went through a single space station amp . No additional sub was used . This is his very detailed and glowing review . I am literally salivating now 😀

"I went to the Amp Show this afternoon, met Aspen and heard a couple hours worth of demo. For the first hour I didn't see anyone I knew but then sure enough out comes a guitarist buddy of mine from the main Guitar Center room and I no longer felt like the Lone Stranger. I've done too many gigs around here to go to a show like that and not know anybody there, I was starting to feel lonely <sniff>. That put me in a good mood. And Howie had a buddy with him who's a B3 fanatic. He showed me pics in his phone with a bunch of Hammonds, Leslies and related stuff in a big workroom. He would fit right in here. Anyway, I think this little amp is really good and so did he.

The set up was a small meeting room in a hotel, maybe 20 by 50 feet or so. 40 seats in the front half and standing room in the back. There was a portable stage in the front that was about two feet from the back wall with about three feet of space on each side. He had a four piece band, two guitars, bass and keys with two vocals using a harmonizer. Everything went through the amp and to me it sounded really good. The volume was louder than I expected and it was crystal clear. Aspen said he was holding the max volume at 105db and the amp still had quite a bit of power left.

I can say this for sure, the overall volume was louder than quite a few lounge/supper club gigs I've done. I mentioned this to him at one point and he suddenly says "great point" and runs up to the stage, grabs the mic while the band is playing and says, "Have you ever been asked to turn down?" He tells them to keep playing and reaches for the mixer and turns down the master slider and then says "you can turn down the whole band with one knob yet the mix stays the same for both the band and the audience". It really sounded like someone simply turning down a commercial CD. Another thing, he has a big voice with real presence and several times he was talking over the band when they were already pretty loud and I heard him quite clearly with no interference from the instruments.

At one point they were doing a song where the keys guy Al, was doing a lot of organ so I walked to the left corner against the back wall right behind him and I could hear everything perfectly clear, including the leslie and the vocals. I then slowly walked along the wall to the back of the room and the mix was exactly the same, just the volume dropped a bit. I did the same thing on the right side of the stage and stood right behind the bass player in the corner and it still was the same overall mix including the organ. It was remarkable, I was actually behind the SS off center and the other side of the stage yet I still heard the entire band and especially the organ very clearly.

Now, here's a really funny thing. The amp was sitting on a small sub and Aspen was talking about how if you are using a bass player it's best with a sub and he said how he picked this one up at a thrift shop for $50. I thought the bass sounded pretty good, not too deep but it was definitely there. After the second demo someone asked how the amp sounded without the sub and he leans over behind it and discovered it wasn't plugged in! I was blown away, both hour long demos were nothing but the SS by itself. He plugged in the sub and now the bass really had some bottom to it but I'm telling you, the bass with just the amp alone was plenty for a small jazz gig in a restaurant or a bass and guitar duo for example.

They did a Steely Dan tune with lots of keys and vocals and the organ was cranked at one point to where my ears were really feeling it. Again this was still holding Aspens 105db limit. I don't think I would have any problem being heard at a medium loud bar gig. Especially when Al told me he will use his with a JBL eon when he needs more power and the overall stereo sound is still there. I believe him.

This thing is a winner. I would have been impressed if the Spacestation was only used for the instruments and the vocals had their own PA but to have everything going through this small innocuous little amp in full stereo? Impressive and I'm getting one."

Edited by spalding1968 (11/27/14 05:15 AM)

#396505 - 11/28/14 05:04 AM Re: centre point space station keyboard amp [Re: spalding1968]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
I'm intrigued.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09jiNR86M9c

Wish I could just try it out...or rent it.

I'm always looking at the latest and greatest PA. Sometimes I think it would be great if I just paid somebody so much a month to rent equipment just to try it out.

grin

#396506 - 11/28/14 05:13 AM Re: centre point space station keyboard amp [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

just buy it ...make sure it has a 30/45 day RETURN if you don't like it.

#396509 - 11/28/14 08:14 AM Re: centre point space station keyboard amp [Re: Dnj]
guitpic1 Offline

just buy it ...make sure it has a 30/45 day RETURN if you don't like it.

Probably a good idea..buy it that is.

Anyone else own one of these?

Edited by guitpic1 (11/28/14 08:15 AM)

#396515 - 11/28/14 09:06 AM Re: centre point space station keyboard amp [Re: spalding1968]
spalding1968 Offline

I will be getting one in the new year . Guaranteed

#396518 - 11/28/14 10:28 AM Re: centre point space station keyboard amp [Re: spalding1968]
guitpic1 Offline

Apparently Sweetwater is the only place to get these?

#396549 - 11/28/14 11:59 PM Re: centre point space station keyboard amp [Re: spalding1968]
spalding1968 Offline

Yes sweet water and direct from centre point

#396648 - 12/01/14 09:09 AM Re: centre point space station keyboard amp [Re: spalding1968]
guitpic1 Offline

Update:

Called Sweetwater today. They are backordered up to 90 units and not sure when they will see more.

#396650 - 12/01/14 09:55 AM Re: centre point space station keyboard amp [Re: guitpic1]
guitpic1 Offline

This was my response from Aspen Pittman re: his Space Station amp.

Thanks for your interest in our Center Point Stereo Spacestation v.3 powered stereo monitor.

Unfortunately, due the to unprecedented (and unanticipated) demand, both our exclusive reseller partners Sweetwater Sound and our parent company Aspen & Associates are completely sold out at this time.

We have 3 more production runs in process now and the next shipment is expected to arrive at our warehouses in the last week of December, just after Christmas.

We recommend you contact Sweetwater, place an order and "get in line" for that delivery as it is mostly sold out. A&A's delivery quota is already sold out.

We have increased the size of our production runs, and the next larger delivery will be early February, then followed by a double run that arriving in early April 2015.

Thanks again for your interest, and we are very sorry for the long delivery schedules. We hope to be caught up to demand and have some stock on the shelf by April 2015.

God bless, Aspen Pittman

Center Point Stereo
www.centerpointstereo.com
1547 Truman Street
San Fernando, CA 91340
818-512-4500

#396655 - 12/01/14 02:30 PM Re: centre point space station keyboard amp [Re: spalding1968]
spalding1968 Offline

Yes they are selling very very well because of the real life experience of in the trenches musicians reviews .keyboard magazine will be doing a review next month and they have already hinted that this is the amp to beat medium gigs for keyboard players . I have ordered mine . Don't sleep on this one folks !

#396669 - 12/02/14 12:28 AM Re: centre point space station keyboard amp [Re: spalding1968]
guitpic1 Offline

If I do go this route, I'm going to be waiting until spring. We don't do much playing winter months here.

I'm also looking at Nano 600 and there should be more info on that in the next few months. My local music store sells Yamaha and I still check those PA's out from time to time. Our store folks also tell me that there's other very good line array systems that will be coming out in 2015 that they are looking into...however pretty pricey...one unit = $2,500.

Also, I'm looking at doing nothing. After all, I've got two Compacts, a Nano 300 and a couple of JBL 515XT's. I still use the Compacts from time to time and Nano 300 gets used daily for practice and goes out on all gigs.

I can remember when amp choices weren't that great. Nice to have so many good choices. But it does seem that the good choices start at $700 apiece or more.

smile

Edited by guitpic1 (12/02/14 12:31 AM)

#396672 - 12/02/14 01:02 AM Re: centre point space station keyboard amp [Re: spalding1968]
spalding1968 Offline

You seem to have all the bases covered in terms of amplification ! I play predominately in a church that holds 500 to 600 people. Massive volume is not important but absolute clarity and dispersion is. This keyboard amp sounds like a complete marriage made in heaven for the way that I play and for the audience i play too .

You can appreciate that being able to hear the sound in stereo everywhere in the room is a killer feature that I don't think any of the Amps you have mentioned can achieve at all. Even the HK Nano will only provide a stereo spot in a given area of two bose compacts and the majority of your audience will not be hearing in stereo although possibly you will which is just as important I guess . Anyway it will be while before I received mine as the amp is so far backordered !

Edited by spalding1968 (12/02/14 01:04 AM)

#396675 - 12/02/14 01:14 AM Re: centre point space station keyboard amp [Re: spalding1968]
guitpic1 Offline

You're right about the stereo thing. Even with two powered monitors plugged into, the keyboard, it isn't stereo unless you happen to be in the right spot in front of them.

The folks at Centerpoint weren't quite clear as to whether or not this was intended as a personal monitor or could be used in smaller gigs. I think as more folks try them out, we'll get more info on that.

Even the Sweetwater sales person I talked to hadn't heard one up close, his info was from YouTube. But he did say this amp was different than anything else he had experienced.

I'm in no rush at this point. There's no point, doesn't sound like one will be available until the spring anyway. Apparently they are having quite a success with this system.

I have spent some money trying to find that 'perfect' system and there are a lot of new systems coming out. Once I settle on a system, I'm guessing that I will use that system until I retire from playing publicly.

One other thing that I do like about this system is that I think I could use it at home to get a stereo sound out of my TV...not sure about that but possibly.

Edited by guitpic1 (12/02/14 01:16 AM)

#396677 - 12/02/14 04:44 AM Re: centre point space station keyboard amp [Re: spalding1968]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
All major concerts and most professional venues are in mono. The only place you're going to achieve a stereo effect in every part of a large venue is in BizzareWorld. It's just not possible. Although I too fall prey to the myth that it MUST be in stereo, intellectually I know that the stereo effect I achieve using two powered monitors, is primarily for me (and a handful of folks in the 'sweet spot'). Still, it's a great way for music stores and speaker manufacturers to get you to buy two of everything.

Trust me (he said slyly smile ), 'bridge' that stereo power amp and send a mono signal to as many speakers as you want (placed strategically all around the room) just as pro acts send a mono feed to their sound engineer.

Don't forget about the diminishing effect of stereo as you get further away from the source.

chas

Ps: Most of what I say is sometimes true.

#396679 - 12/02/14 05:18 AM Re: centre point space station keyboard amp [Re: spalding1968]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: spalding1968

You can appreciate that being able to hear the sound in stereo everywhere in the room is a killer feature that I don't think any of the Amps you have mentioned can achieve at all.

When I did a series of concert gigs at a local theater several years ago,, I was able to achieve a huge improvement in the stereo sweet spot, literally mostly everywhere in the room, with a pair of Bose L1's Standards (each had a sub). It sounded superior to, and the dispersion was also much better than, anything else I've ever used.

But, here's the rub...this system was EXPENSIVE, so, in my case, it had to be a rental. I'm sure you could get similar, but less adequate results with two Bose Compacts, each of which is considerably more money than a single SpaceStation.

Being able to have my "stage" and "out front" sound in glorious stereo is what I've always thought to be the ultimate in reproducing the sound of my arranger, which has so many features that thrive on stereo sound, especially effects such as Stereo Chorus, Delay and Rotary Speaker. The samples in my Yamaha also sound way better in stereo.

I don't want to compromise the sound quality of my arranger in any way (it was a rather pricey investment) either for my listening pleasure or that of my audience. A good PA system, unlike keyboards, which are sometimes updated/replaced with newer models, should only be a one time investment.

I'll be very interested to hear your review on this product Spalding...I'm in no rush for new gear, but, if this does what is claimed, it will make a great addition to what I have at present.

Ian

#396683 - 12/02/14 07:38 AM Re: centre point space station keyboard amp [Re: spalding1968]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Ian you are certainly right about using two Bose L1's!. I had two for a few years but only used them together on a few occasions! Just too much to worry about lugging and setting up for a small one-night stand.
My friends Dean Mathis, Joe Lee Richards and I played a fourth of July celebration up in Arkansas at the fair grounds, and the sound was phenomenal.
I ran Dean's keyboard, pedal steel and fiddle, a send from Joe's guitar amp, my keyboard and four mics (one guest mic for announcements) all through my 16-channel mixer, left output to one Bose and right to the other. The keyboards sounded fantastic; of course everything else was mono. People 100 yards and more away came up to see the system and tell us how great the sound was. Their big point was that previous bands had made their ears bleed up close, but lost clarity at the far reaches of the venue (which was an open field). Of course there was no stereo effect past perhaps 20 or 30 yards, but it was sure sweet where we were sitting!
We played that job every year for five years. It was one of my best-paying gigs ever.
I found myself only using the dual system for this job and one New Year's Eve party. When they brought out the Compacts I tried them, and really haven't used much else since then. They are better suited for the small jobs I generally do.
I now also have two Nano 300's and I love the sound of them. Setup is a little more time-consuming than the Compacts though, and the dispersion is different. I have a job next week in Oklahoma where I plan to take both Nanos and both Compacts. Can't wait to hear how that works!
Lots of great choices now!
P.S. I sold one of the L1's to Bill Semilivemusic and the other to another friend, both with the stipulation that if I ever needed them I could use them. I haven't needed them.

#396684 - 12/02/14 08:03 AM Re: centre point space station keyboard amp [Re: DonM]
guitpic1 Offline

I agree the Nano takes a bit more fiddling. But with that effort I think I get a bigger sound.

The only drawback is that I like the vocal pre-amp in the Compact better than the single input on the Nano.

Here's the other thing. I've A/B'd running the keyboard through a single Compact with one input and running the keyboard(two inputs out)through the Nano with it's two inputs. Granted the Nano is not stereo at this point but the sound coming from the Nano with it's two inputs really sounded much more full(to my ears anyway) than the single input to the Compact.

That sound two inputs into an amp from the keyboard convinced me that if I use one amp it will be the Nano. If I use two amps, then I think both the Bose and Nano work.

#396685 - 12/02/14 08:23 AM Re: centre point space station keyboard amp [Re: spalding1968]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I sincerely believe that because they are two totally different systems, that the EQ of the keyboard must be set differently as well in order to compare apples with apples.

I could be wrong, though,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#396711 - 12/02/14 02:27 PM Re: centre point space station keyboard amp [Re: spalding1968]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I don't really e.q. either very much. They are basically flat and any e.q. is from the keyboard.
Might have to roll back the bass on Nano just a little.
And, I never use just one unit, always two, no matter which system I'm using. You CAN get stereo from one Nano if you set it up properly as per instructions. You need an extra pole and balanced extension cables.

#396712 - 12/02/14 02:33 PM Re: centre point space station keyboard amp [Re: DonM]
guitpic1 Offline

My experience is the same as Don's. Right now I have the Nano hooked up to the S950 for practice...everything is flat with the exception of the bass sub.

The bass sub is set between 10 - 12 oclock. Otherwise the bass is often too powerful.

With the S950, the Nano gives a nice, warm, full sound.

Edited by guitpic1 (12/02/14 02:33 PM)

#398316 - 01/17/15 12:01 AM Re: centre point space station keyboard amp [Re: spalding1968]
spalding1968 Offline

The thread on the musicians forum on this amazing amp is now 37 pages deep ! The latest testimonial is from David Bryce who will be doing a review on it for keyboard magazine .

"Okay, I finally got to use the SSv3 at a rehearsal. boing

First of all, putting it sideways on the amp stand really didn't work for me, and the guitar player immediately asked me to turn down....so then, I tried putting it right on the floor leaning up against the back wall.

That did it. thu

Right away, the clarity of the parts jumped out at me...and the other members of the band as well! Volume was excellent, bass was nice and full without stepping on the bass player at all...but the clarity and detail of the sounds was the thing that really grabbed me the most. I use some fairly detailed layered sounds in this band, and both guitar players commented that they could hear tones they hadn't heard before, especially on the synth heavy stuff.

I'm really impressed with this bad boy. I like it much better than the V2... cool"

dB".

And hear is the most recent testimonial from one of the earliest purchasers of the amp

"Used my SS3 in what I thought would be the most volatile situation last night- the weekly blues jam. It's a really live room, wood floor, high ceiling. They use a thick carpet for the band area but it's still easy for things to get out of control with a bunch of players on stage at once. With my K10, aimed right at me, I still had the sound guys telling me I'm too loud. With the SS3, and having been asked to turn down on several occasions with my other bands, I knew it was coming. Add in it's a tight space and the SS3 was about 2' from me, I was prepared for the worst. I set it on the floor and leaned it against the wall, off to my left but angled a bit towards me. There is a set of double doors to my right and one of them was open so it gave a place for the side speaker to reflect off of.

The sound guys loved it. They said the amp sounded perfect, the volume was perfect, and they couldn't be happier! All the players commented on how good it sounded.

Another guy said he owns one of the older ones and uses if for a PA, on a pole, with a sub for a duo he's in.

I've done just about every gig/jam scenario with the SS3 now, from large stages and big rooms to tight spaces and small rooms, and it's handled every one of them very well. In the next few weeks I'll do a couple of my remaining venues I haven't used it on. Both are rooms I normally use IEM's on, but I'm going to try the SS3 on them.
www.echoesrocks.com"

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online