SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#396440 - 11/26/14 12:46 PM Re: centre point space station keyboard amp [Re: spalding1968]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I think they are now demoing Ver.3 of the Spacestation (name changed to protect the guilty) so perhaps more than a few things have changed since it's initial intro of 8 years ago.

A relatively small system like this with a big sound and wide stereo spread will be welcomed by many players, not just keyboardists, so I hope it delivers all that's been claimed.

Ian

#396445 - 11/26/14 02:27 PM Re: centre point space station keyboard amp [Re: spalding1968]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
BTW: I meant to say 100 HZ not KW.....We should not judge the new Spacestation to the old Groovetube or original.....surely there is a vast improvement spec wise...
It would be like me, not trying a Tyros 4 after my experiece with a PSR2100 smile

#396467 - 11/27/14 05:13 AM Re: centre point space station keyboard amp [Re: spalding1968]
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
This is a very comprehensive review from a jazz musician on the music player forum . He was at the amp show last month where an entire band , keys guitar bass and vocals all went through a single space station amp . No additional sub was used . This is his very detailed and glowing review . I am literally salivating now &#128512;

"I went to the Amp Show this afternoon, met Aspen and heard a couple hours worth of demo. For the first hour I didn't see anyone I knew but then sure enough out comes a guitarist buddy of mine from the main Guitar Center room and I no longer felt like the Lone Stranger. I've done too many gigs around here to go to a show like that and not know anybody there, I was starting to feel lonely <sniff>. That put me in a good mood. And Howie had a buddy with him who's a B3 fanatic. He showed me pics in his phone with a bunch of Hammonds, Leslies and related stuff in a big workroom. He would fit right in here. Anyway, I think this little amp is really good and so did he.

The set up was a small meeting room in a hotel, maybe 20 by 50 feet or so. 40 seats in the front half and standing room in the back. There was a portable stage in the front that was about two feet from the back wall with about three feet of space on each side. He had a four piece band, two guitars, bass and keys with two vocals using a harmonizer. Everything went through the amp and to me it sounded really good. The volume was louder than I expected and it was crystal clear. Aspen said he was holding the max volume at 105db and the amp still had quite a bit of power left.

I can say this for sure, the overall volume was louder than quite a few lounge/supper club gigs I've done. I mentioned this to him at one point and he suddenly says "great point" and runs up to the stage, grabs the mic while the band is playing and says, "Have you ever been asked to turn down?" He tells them to keep playing and reaches for the mixer and turns down the master slider and then says "you can turn down the whole band with one knob yet the mix stays the same for both the band and the audience". It really sounded like someone simply turning down a commercial CD. Another thing, he has a big voice with real presence and several times he was talking over the band when they were already pretty loud and I heard him quite clearly with no interference from the instruments.

At one point they were doing a song where the keys guy Al, was doing a lot of organ so I walked to the left corner against the back wall right behind him and I could hear everything perfectly clear, including the leslie and the vocals. I then slowly walked along the wall to the back of the room and the mix was exactly the same, just the volume dropped a bit. I did the same thing on the right side of the stage and stood right behind the bass player in the corner and it still was the same overall mix including the organ. It was remarkable, I was actually behind the SS off center and the other side of the stage yet I still heard the entire band and especially the organ very clearly.

Now, here's a really funny thing. The amp was sitting on a small sub and Aspen was talking about how if you are using a bass player it's best with a sub and he said how he picked this one up at a thrift shop for $50. I thought the bass sounded pretty good, not too deep but it was definitely there. After the second demo someone asked how the amp sounded without the sub and he leans over behind it and discovered it wasn't plugged in! I was blown away, both hour long demos were nothing but the SS by itself. He plugged in the sub and now the bass really had some bottom to it but I'm telling you, the bass with just the amp alone was plenty for a small jazz gig in a restaurant or a bass and guitar duo for example.

They did a Steely Dan tune with lots of keys and vocals and the organ was cranked at one point to where my ears were really feeling it. Again this was still holding Aspens 105db limit. I don't think I would have any problem being heard at a medium loud bar gig. Especially when Al told me he will use his with a JBL eon when he needs more power and the overall stereo sound is still there. I believe him.

This thing is a winner. I would have been impressed if the Spacestation was only used for the instruments and the vocals had their own PA but to have everything going through this small innocuous little amp in full stereo? Impressive and I'm getting one."

Edited by spalding1968 (11/27/14 05:15 AM)

#396505 - 11/28/14 05:04 AM Re: centre point space station keyboard amp [Re: spalding1968]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
I'm intrigued.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09jiNR86M9c

Wish I could just try it out...or rent it.

I'm always looking at the latest and greatest PA. Sometimes I think it would be great if I just paid somebody so much a month to rent equipment just to try it out.

grin

#396506 - 11/28/14 05:13 AM Re: centre point space station keyboard amp [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

just buy it ...make sure it has a 30/45 day RETURN if you don't like it.

#396509 - 11/28/14 08:14 AM Re: centre point space station keyboard amp [Re: Dnj]
guitpic1 Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj
just buy it ...make sure it has a 30/45 day RETURN if you don't like it.

Probably a good idea..buy it that is.

Anyone else own one of these?

Edited by guitpic1 (11/28/14 08:15 AM)

#396515 - 11/28/14 09:06 AM Re: centre point space station keyboard amp [Re: spalding1968]
spalding1968 Offline

I will be getting one in the new year . Guaranteed

#396518 - 11/28/14 10:28 AM Re: centre point space station keyboard amp [Re: spalding1968]
guitpic1 Offline

Apparently Sweetwater is the only place to get these?

#396549 - 11/28/14 11:59 PM Re: centre point space station keyboard amp [Re: spalding1968]
spalding1968 Offline

Yes sweet water and direct from centre point

#396648 - 12/01/14 09:09 AM Re: centre point space station keyboard amp [Re: spalding1968]
guitpic1 Offline

Update:

Called Sweetwater today. They are backordered up to 90 units and not sure when they will see more.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online