SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#39306 - 07/21/06 09:08 AM Correct Setting of My KN7000
Kennykay Offline

Loc: London, UK
To Technicsplayer

Please I need your kind help. If any Forum member has any suggestions, I'd appreciate them, please.

I have owned a KN5000 for long and have in the past few months acquired a KN7000. I have been trying to get used to the KN7000 and the settings. A problem that I encounter is that when I start playing any of the preset rythmns and I put the APC (auto accompaniment) on the keyboard sound becomes becomes very very bassy (i.e. too much bass sound) from the middle part of the keyboard. And this tends to drown the sound I play from either the RT1 or RT2. The bassy sound also tends to drown the drums accompaniment. I try ruducing the bass volume control to reduce the bass. It does not help. And when I dtry solving the problem by pushing down the APC volume control, this affects the entire volume of the accompaniment.

With the KN5000, I find the accompaniment very impressively heavy and clear with the APC on. And when I play any of the RT1 or Rt2 voicings either at the middle or righthand end of the keyboard, the sound of both the voicings and the accompaniment are distinct and what I play doesn't ever tend to drown the drums and other APC accompaniments (which I enjoy when they sound heavy and clear).

I looked at the KN5000 equaliser settings and decided to apply the KN5000 equaliser settings to the KN7000. But it didn't help.

Can I please get some advice and help to enable me solve this problem. I love the KN7000 and would expect it to give me an output better than the KN5000. If I can configure it properly to get rid of the too bassy sound at the middle part of the keyboard when the APC is on, I will be glad.

The second thing, please, is that I copied some KN5000 preset rythmns onto the KN7000 Custom channel. However, when I try to part-edit any of them, I get a message that I cannot part-edit them because they are not KN7000 preset rythmns. Please is there any way I can part-edit any of these?

Finally, I love this Forum and I thank all of its members for their kindness and help to one another.

Thank you.

Kenny

#39307 - 07/21/06 09:51 AM Re: Correct Setting of My KN7000
technicsplayer Offline

I would start with the overall equalizer assuming there is no fault with this 7k since the sound should certainly be better than the 5k, clearer if anything. Press Program Menus, Reverb & Effect, Equalizer. At FLAT the first slider should affect 125Hz from the initial state. Select that slider, move down to FC with the lower button, trying each range from 40 upwards to 300 or 400 Hz, moving back to the slider and taking it down 3 or 6dB etc to taste, you should be able to find the frequency range of the bass heaviness that annoys you. Naturally EQ ON has to be switched in the corner of the screen. If you find a setting that suits you can prevent new loads from altering it in Data Protection and/or different panel memories from changing it in the Expansion filter.

I'm not entirely clear what is meant with part-editing Customs but Custom styles generally need to be edited in the Composer. Press Program Menus, Composer, Custom Style Copy. Set the Direction at the bottom for Custom to Composer and dial in the relevant locations and OK. The style can now be comprehensively edited (including individual bass and part EQ etc) in the Composer, then sent back to Custom in the same way, with the opposite Direction setting.

#39308 - 07/23/06 03:22 PM Re: Correct Setting of My KN7000
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Alec said...
"If you find a setting that suits you can prevent new loads from altering it in Data Protection and/or different panel memories from changing it in the Expansion filter."

Can anyone further elaborate "Data Protection" for a personal EQ setting?
I would like to save my custom EQ setting so it's always there when the keyboard is switched back on.

Thanks
Larry

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#39309 - 07/23/06 06:03 PM Re: Correct Setting of My KN7000
technicsplayer Offline

the simplest way to keep a preferred overall equalizer setting is to store it in custom panel and press that button after switch on. The default expand panel memory filter for equalizer is OFF, so changing panel memories will not change the overall equalizer even if different settings are stored in those panel memories. Then if you go to Customise, Data Protection, Total Equalizser, set to ON and OK, loading a file with a different equalizer setting will be prevented from changing your preferred setting.

#39310 - 07/24/06 04:15 AM Re: Correct Setting of My KN7000
Kennykay Offline

Dear Technicsplayer

Thanks for your kind and prompt response to my KN7000 problem.

I have tried what you suggested but I discover that I still experience the very bazzy sound when I play any of the 12 black and white notes from the middle C of the board.

Maybe I should explain better my experience: When the APC button is switched off, the sound that I get across the breath of the keyboard is very crisp, wonderful and all that I could ask for in a keyboard. But I always require the accompaniment when I play. I need the APC to be switched on so I could use the accompaniment. However, when the APC button is switched on, any key that I play with my right hand from the Middle C white key all through the 12 white and black keys from Middle C upwards - they sound very deep and bazzy and they tend to drown any accompaniment that is on. After the 12th note from the Middle C, the keys start sounding beautiful and crisp again even with the APC on. Again, when I switch off the APC, those same notes/keys sound very good.

As you suggested, I went to the overall Equalizer and under FLAT, I set all the five Gain sliders to zero, changed all the 5 FC(Hz) settings to the minimum which is 40 each, and changed the four Q(Hz) settings also to their minimum which is 0.1. And when I tried playing with the APC on, there was no change at all. I tried switching OFF the equalizer, and still there was the same problem - very deep and bazzy sounds produced by any keys played with the 12 black and white keys from the Middle C upwards. I really need help to solve this problem. I believe there must be something to turn off or on, or something to adjust somewhere in order to solve this problem. But I don't know, and I therefore need your help and that of members of the Forum out there.

eanwhile, I need to mention that I have just discovered that my KN7000 is PAL ver 1.3. I have read in some other Forum postings about members updating to ver 1.6. I have not yet updated mine, and hope that it is not the reason that I have the problem.

I look forward to your kind and expert advice on this. Thank you and thanks to all you members of the Forum for all your help to fellow members.

Kenny

#39311 - 07/24/06 04:54 AM Re: Correct Setting of My KN7000
technicsplayer Offline

Hi,
The test is to try and find out if there is a hardware fault on your 7k or if adjusting the sound is enough to improve things. If the problem is specific to certain keys only then it looks like a fault. But to find if a frequency range is the problem here is the procedure:
Initialise the kn7000.
Go the equalizer (now all flat) and switch ON in the bottom right hand corner.
Reduce the FIRST slider ONLY to say -9dB (minus) for example.
Go down to FC and start at say 63Hz, try the sound.
Adjust to the next 80Hz, try the sound.
Try 100, 125 etc etc in turn and see if any setting improves the sound.
IF a setting does improve the sound the next step could be to try the second slider but a much "fatter" Q than 0.1 would be needed to hear a difference.

Again if the problem is specific only to 12 keys this will not help and it looks like a fault. You could try taking out any footswitches, leads etc and a factory reset, hold down 8&16, Rock, Ballad and Jazz rhythm buttons and switch on.

It would not harm to take it up to version 1.6 though whether it helps depends if the problem is hardware or a firmware that somehow got corrupted. If you want to do that leave your email address and I can supply the required 6 floppies.

#39312 - 07/24/06 08:06 AM Re: Correct Setting of My KN7000
Kennykay Offline

Dear Technicsplayer

Thanks for your reply and advice. I will try out the steps you have suggested. If I may ask,please do you have the same experience with those keys on your KN7000 when the APC is turned on - OR has any any member of the Forum experienced this with their KN7000. I hope all this is not the result of any malfunction with my KN7000!

Meanwhile, I would like to update to 1.6 if you would please send me the six files as promised, and if possible, please, with instructions on the update procedure. My email address is wisdom2@gmail.com.

Thanks you very much.

Kenny

#39313 - 07/24/06 11:08 AM Re: Correct Setting of My KN7000
technicsplayer Offline

Hi there,
Files are sent. If you have ver1.3 at the moment:
1 first upgrade to 1.4 table with two disks
2 then upgrade to 1.6 table with two disks
3 then finally upgrade to 1.6 system with two disks.
The procedure is identical for each set of two disks.

Do not upgrade the keyboard if there are any risks of power cuts.
Double click each file in turn with a freshly formatted floppy in the A drive. Click Write/Start, close program when floppy stops writing and label disk.

It is VITAL to check each set of disks in the keyboard before attempting an upgrade.

1 insert disk 1 of a 2 disk set
2 hold down panel memories 1, 2, 3 and 4
3 switch on
4 release panel memories when screen appears
5 press checkdsk in screen
6 confirm with check in screen
7 swap with disk2 when screen prompts
8 wait for OK in screen
9 switch off

if each set of disks pass the test only then proceed to upgrade:

1 insert disk 1 of a 2 disk set
2 hold down panel memories 1, 2, 3 and 4
3 switch on
4 release panel memories when screen appears
5 press update in screen
6 confirm with update in screen
7 swap with disk2 when screen prompts
8 wait for OK in screen
9 switch off

again do 1.4 table first, then 1.6 table, then 1.6 system.

after the upgrade try a hard reset:
switch off
hold down 60s&70s, Mod Dance, Soul&RB rhythm buttons and switch on.

let's hope it's not a hardware fault but this should confirm if it is.

#39314 - 07/24/06 03:08 PM Re: Correct Setting of My KN7000
dpeisic Offline

Loc: San Deigo, Ca, USA
Hi all,

Concerning the KN7000 firmware version, I have the following questions:

1. What is the procedure to check the current kn7000 firmware version?

2. Version 1.6 versus version 1.3, what are the main enhancements in the 1.6 versions?

P.s. Kennykay, thanks for sharing this with us.

Cheers,
Doron

#39315 - 07/24/06 03:56 PM Re: Correct Setting of My KN7000
technicsplayer Offline

check firmware: hold down piano, guitar, mallet buttons and switch on.
improvements, the vast majority of users never even noticed: bitmaps for home page loading, SD % corrected, backup inf on SD, a couple of advanced technichords improved, audio on SD etc.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online