SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 11 of 15 < 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 >
Topic Options
#392522 - 08/31/14 02:52 PM Re: Have Arranger KBs died out ? [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Dnj
"- arranger keyboards allow you to very quickly make a song using the automatic patterns, and record the notes to your DAW via MIDI, all parts (drums, bass, accompaniment, melody etc.) at the same time, and - depending on the level of the arranger keyboard - you get sounds that are about the same of synths (the top ones, like Yamaha Tyros or Ketron Audya, arguably sound better than some synths). The downside is that usually their synth section editing parameters are not as many as you'd find on a synth, not even close.

- synths allow you to sculpt the sound exactly to your specification, and create new, even exotic ones via a myriad of parameters. They also are usually expandable with cards / boards / samples. But you have to record each part separately on each DAW's track, so you can get better sounding songs thanks to sounds that are more customizable, but the downside is that it takes much longer to compose the song.

In short, if you are in a situation where you have to compose and create finished songs very quickly, an arranger is probably your best choice; if you can afford time in your studio with your DAW, I'd go with a proper synth.

EDIT: it also depends on your playing ability level: if you aren't yet at the level where you can proficiently play / program different instrument patches (drums, bass, synths, strings, piano etc.) in a variety of styles, then an arranger is going to be very helpful to you, because it will do the job for you, and you can learn from it. It's a quick way to create professional-sounding songs very quickly - simply press the Intro, Verse 1, Verse 2, Chorus, Ending etc. buttons at the appropriate moments in the song. The downside is that there might be other people out there who are using the same accompaniment patterns that you're using, so you run the risk of having a song with the same sounds and arrangement that someone else is already using..."

You should put a link and give credit to someone else's quotes... http://www.gearslutz.com/board/electroni...nction-daw.html

Ian

#392524 - 08/31/14 03:12 PM Re: Have Arranger KBs died out ? [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
You all can go ahead and argue, I'm going to start returning phone calls from people wanting me to play for them.

#392525 - 08/31/14 03:13 PM Re: Have Arranger KBs died out ? [Re: tony mads usa]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: tony mads usa

But it is my PLAYING that is triggering those electronic events!!! ... if I turn on my Pa900, as 'SMART' as it is, it is as dumb as a rock ... it does NOTHING on its own ... even if I select a style and hit play, nothing changes unless I change it !!!... and how good it sounds is up to me and my imagination - as others have said or implied here - and how I use those "ELECTRONIC EVENTS" ...
Now, am I going to satisfy every type of audience out there with my KB - NO!, but I'm not trying to either ...

Yes, and your choices might be different than what another arranger player may use, and your music will have it's own stamp on it.

Also, Tony, we have to remember we are there to please the "common ear", not put on a virtuoso performance that would bring the house down, although if we can manage that, all the better. wink It's not a competition. wink

Plus, you may decide to play different inversions of the regular chords, or even add some of your own to further personalize your tune.

To look at it another way, a guitarist forms the chords with one hand and plays the notes with the other, which is what we do when using a style...is it any less professional, especially if we are using a complimentary sound to the left of the split?

The scarcity of pro arranger players in my area worked to my advantage, and myself and another arranger player pretty much got a lot of jobs because of it.

Also, if we've had experience on Rhodes or Hammond, we can apply that knowledge to the relevant sounds on our arranger, for as you know, proper voicing (just one example) is critical on these instruments as opposed to an acoustic piano for instance.

We are lucky to be at a point in time where these instruments are so powerful and yet still easy to work with.

Ian

#392527 - 08/31/14 03:35 PM Re: Have Arranger KBs died out ? [Re: ianmcnll]
Dnj Offline

Quote:
You should put a link and give credit to someone else's quotes... http://www.gearslutz.com/board/electroni...nction-daw.html
Ian

Agreed SZ edit ran out after I noticed that sorry.

#392528 - 08/31/14 03:36 PM Re: Have Arranger KBs died out ? [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Ok so what have we all learned from all these replies to the question

"Have Arranger KBs died out ?"

#392530 - 08/31/14 03:41 PM Re: Have Arranger KBs died out ? [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

In my estimation, the answer is....not yet.

Still lots of activity on arranger forums such as Korg and Yamaha.

Ian

#392533 - 08/31/14 04:00 PM Re: Have Arranger KBs died out ? [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Good Lord! I went sailing for three days, came home, logged on to the zone, and 73 new responses to THIS! Are you kidding me?

Like my old friend, Don Mason, I'll just continue to answer the telephone calls from folks that want to book this old man and his Yamaha S950. Yeah, one day, probably long after most of us have taken the dirt nap, arranger keyboards will no longer exist.

Sure glad I keep the bar stocked with Margaretta mix,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#392535 - 08/31/14 04:05 PM Re: Have Arranger KBs died out ? [Re: ianmcnll]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
In my estimation, the answer is....not yet.

Still lots of activity on arranger forums such as Korg and Yamaha.

Ian

Agreed!!! keys

Good for you, Gary !!! wink

#392536 - 08/31/14 04:26 PM Re: Have Arranger KBs died out ? [Re: Dnj]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By: Dnj
sorry with that alone I rest my case.

Sorry Gumbah ... I've known you a long time, and you will NEVER rest your case. Man, you're pushing the devils advocate thing to limits I can't imagine. Relax ... play a few more polkas ... buy something ... You need a break from the advice column.

#392539 - 08/31/14 04:33 PM Re: Have Arranger KBs died out ? [Re: Uncle Dave]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
BTW .. I am very much looking forward to one of my up coming gigs - a picnic sponsored by my Church for its Parishioners - because I am taking a number of rock tunes - Beatles, Steve Miller among them - and playing them with acoustic styles .. why? ... because I can, because I play an arranger keyboard ... and because I am a OMB ... bounce

Page 11 of 15 < 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online