SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 9 of 15 < 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 14 15 >
Topic Options
#392495 - 08/31/14 10:27 AM Re: Have Arranger KBs died out ? [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Glad I don't have to please "the masses", rather just a gathering of people who like what I do in most cases.
DNJ, from the photos of your dances you have posted I don't see anyone younger than about 80.
I really can't remember the last time someone criticized my choice of instruments. The out-of-work bands who come to my "gigs" trying to get my job have no clue what is generating the music, but they do see me actually playing and are generally more jealous than judgmental.
If they look up there and see Korg, or Yamaha they often ask what synth I'm using. If they saw Casio they would most likely turn noses up and thumbs down. It's all perception.
I think arranger use by pros, around here at least, is so rare that most people don't know what they are and generally don't care.
If I wanted to sound "just like the record", I would use backing tracks or midi files, but I don't. I mostly keep the styles quite simple, with bass, drums and a piano/and or guitar strum and do all the lead playing and arrangements myself on the fly, in real time.
In case some are not aware, this requires a LOT more talent, dexterity, mental awareness, etc., than just playing an instrument in a band, softly comping until it's time to solo for 8 bars, or doing the same while "playing" with a backing track of some sort.
If they want a DJ, then hire one. I'm a one-man-band!!

#392497 - 08/31/14 10:50 AM Re: Have Arranger KBs died out ? [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Don don't judge a book by its cover .... wink
I perform for all ages all the time....
I can hear the hostility in some of these posts but it is what it is. Anyway let's get back to the OT....or should the topic have been..."Are Arranger Kb's dying out?"

Attachments
IMG_0547.jpg

Edited by Dnj (08/31/14 10:56 AM)

#392499 - 08/31/14 10:58 AM Re: Have Arranger KBs died out ? [Re: DonM]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: DonM

If I wanted to sound "just like the record", I would use backing tracks or midi files, but I don't. I mostly keep the styles quite simple, with bass, drums and a piano/and or guitar strum and do all the lead playing and arrangements myself on the fly, in real time.
In case some are not aware, this requires a LOT more talent, dexterity, mental awareness, etc., than just playing an instrument in a band, softly comping until it's time to solo for 8 bars, or doing the same while "playing" with a backing track of some sort.

Well said, Don.

I like "personalizing" my music, and generally I'm hired for what I play rather than what someone thinks I should play.

It's also why I get a fair amount of studio work as I can provide a background unique to a particular need. Oftimes I'll become an integral part of the production of a song writer's music simply because of the vast scope of styles and genres the arranger provides, as well as being able to customize to my heart's content.

I also decline gigs that require some sort of compromise where I may be expected to provide DJ music or play in genres I know I'm not suited for or, quite frankly, not interested in either.

I'm a firm believer in not "spreading myself too thin" and I avoid venues and gigs that expect more than what I actually produce...I'd rather turn down a job rather than screw one up and make a bad name for myself.

I guess what I'm saying, is that I'm aware of my limitations and try to stay within what I am good at, and that goes for the limitations of my instrument as well.

Ian

PS...I'm glad to see you are getting back to gigging.

#392500 - 08/31/14 11:41 AM Re: Have Arranger KBs died out ? [Re: Dnj]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
The arranger keyboard is a pre-set instrument, as an example the Tyros SA Guitar, everything is built in to make it sound good even if played by an inexperienced player, however unless one of the on-board guitars matches what is required in a production or band setting, they are of no use.

With a workstation you get basic guitar sounds, which you then add the embellishments you want, (Using real time controls) for your production or band play and save it in a patch.

To setup the guitar on the arranger, you have to remove all the manufacture applied embellishments then add what you want, however because an arranger has severely limited real time controls and limited editing features, (You have to keep switching between menus which is time consuming) means making a setup for your specific use a pain in the rear. (Yes it can be done, but no one in a production or band environment wants all that hassle)

Bill

#392501 - 08/31/14 11:43 AM Re: Have Arranger KBs died out ? [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: Dnj
Restaurant background gigs are like playing in your living room compared to performing alone in front of a 300-400 pp high energy "dance crowd"an Arranger in that scenario alone ain't gonna cut it using just styles & vocals in today's world............

Obviously there is no comparing those two scenarios, but that doesn't mean all restaurant gigs are 'background' either ... in a couple of weeks I will be filling in for another OMB at an upscale (great food, high prices) Italian restaurant in Massachusetts ... after about an hour of bossas, ballads, light 'jazz' tunes, I will be expected to get people on the dance floor ... now I will admit, it's not a large room - about 75 - 100 people or so, and they will not be looking for me to be performing top 40, floor thumping music, but 'background'??? not really ... and I will be mixing it up with self made backing track mp3s and a few midi files, but mostly it will be me PLAYING and singing ...

#392504 - 08/31/14 11:52 AM Re: Have Arranger KBs died out ? [Re: Dnj]
J. Larry Offline

Loc: University, MS 38677 USA
Ian’s observations are my views, as well. I pick and choose gigs, knowing full well my strengths and limitations. I hope they never stop making arrangers, since they fit perfectly the retired-age groups that supply most of my gigs. My community is loaded with many loud bars, with bands catering to the young set. Let ‘em pack those places.
I hope and pray they don’t show at my gigs. They’d be sadly disappointed. But, many others are not disappointed. To my knowledge, I’m the only one around here playing an arranger. It’s served well, now, for 8 years steady work in a fine dining restaurant setting. No dance floor, only background music. I’m part of a larger group, when dance music is called for. No arranger is used in those settings.

#392505 - 08/31/14 12:03 PM Re: Have Arranger KBs died out ? [Re: tony mads usa]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: tony mads usa
Restaurant background gigs are like playing in your living room compared to performing alone in front of a 300-400 pp high energy "dance crowd"an Arranger in that scenario alone ain't gonna cut it using just styles & vocals in today's world............

Obviously there is no comparing those two scenarios, but that doesn't mean all restaurant gigs are 'background' either ... in a couple of weeks I will be filling in for another OMB at an upscale (great food, high prices) Italian restaurant in Massachusetts ... after about an hour of bossas, ballads, light 'jazz' tunes, I will be expected to get people on the dance floor ... now I will admit, it's not a large room - about 75 - 100 people or so, and they will not be looking for me to be performing top 40, floor thumping music, but 'background'??? not really ... and I will be mixing it up with self made backing track mp3s and a few midi files, but mostly it will be me PLAYING and singing ...

Tony WTG mixing it up....it's a big necessity gigging today for sure. keys

#392507 - 08/31/14 12:14 PM Re: Have Arranger KBs died out ? [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Regardless of whether you use a workstation or an arranger, it still comes down to the amount of creativity and talent in the user.

I've heard stuff created on an arranger that would be impossible on a workstation, and vice versa.

All instruments have their limitations...even the everyday ones like piano and guitar...some music sounds dreadful if played on a different instrument than it was written, or intended, for.

I use an arranger because its features are more conducive to the type of work I do and the music I play...a workstation would be too slow and tedious for me. I can easily live with the minor limitations of my arranger, the Tyros4, so the choice for me was easy.

Back to Donny's question, "Have arranger keyboards died out?"

I'd say, based on what I see on the various arranger forums...not yet!

However, IF they will remain popular, is anybody's guess.

The numbers don't seem to have changed much in regards to being used by professionals if our SZ forum is any indication, but it looks pretty healthy in the home use area if what we see on YouTube is any evidence, and that's what they are primarily designed for....HOME. It's just that some pros were able to see the value of using an arranger in a one-man-band format, and hence the number of dedicated users here on SZ.

I simply like the work flow an arranger keyboard provides for what I do musically, and I love it's versatility in being able to be used "live" (like being able to sit down and play a complete song with no hassle) as well as in a recording environment.

To me, an arranger has always been the "Swiss Army Knife" of keyboards....that's why I am confirmed user and supporter of the instrument.

Ian

#392508 - 08/31/14 12:24 PM Re: Have Arranger KBs died out ? [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Obviously if the HOME Arranger Kb market stays a bit steady due to previous Home wooden organ players trying to still enjoy the hobby of playing organ but now have benefits of using a arranger......The pro market for arranger & the OMB concept using them Decreases due to the younger crowd and their music 99% being Dj'd arrangers do still have a chance for longevity but has splintered and branched out to specific areas as mentioned. But I would have to say that Arranger KB's as a whole with world wide public acceptance not so much any more. That said I don't think they will ever totally die unless manufactures stop making them all together and players have to hold on to what ever units they can grab and stock pile them. The home organ market will keep them alive until they are gone in years to come and the younger set finds a new way of doing it.

#392509 - 08/31/14 12:26 PM Re: Have Arranger KBs died out ? [Re: Dnj]
Bachus Offline

The biggest problem in the thinkings of synth workstation users and arranger players is that they view styles as an automatic NON creative lazymans idea vs creating music "from scratch" the way the musician wants it to sound track by track ....part by part......There's nothing wrong with repetitive auto styles but lets face it "Real music" in no way sounds & is orchestrated like an arranger style. then you have the thinking of LAZINESS on the part of the arranger player vs a workstation player who has the talent to CREATE track by track a song that has certain parts that cannot be reproduced using a repetitive style variation method. Nobody is right,....no one is wrong, it's all perception in thinking and what the masses will embrace,...

Sad things .... How can those synthworkstation people call style files non creative, while they themselves use midifiles that are even less creative then playing with styles...

Personally i think arrangers are the best for replaying music otheres created, and vpfir rearranging that music to give it your own soul and arrangeemnts..

Synth workstations and daws are best for people that want to create their own music and sound... And since a DAW is better at it then a hardware workstation, my best bet is that synth workstations are dying.

Good example is Yamaha, their last real update to their Motif line was... Like 6 years ago, when they released the XS, but they are still upgrading their Tyros line... The difference between a T3 and a T5 is huge, and the T5 sounds actually better then the current Motif in allmost every way....

http://keyszone.boards.net

Page 9 of 15 < 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 14 15 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online