SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#39183 - 12/22/05 12:07 PM Re: Willum's web page...Help
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
ps...the music plays fine, although even with broadband there is a slight delay for the page and music to load.

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#39184 - 12/22/05 01:17 PM Re: Willum's web page...Help
technicsplayer Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Norrie:
I informed Larry that I had several other people check out my website and no problems were reported so they were not just checked on my PCs

naturally, this thread is just so amusing to see the blindingly obvious stated as if some revelation I came across the exactly the same problem maybe 10? years ago when making my first commercial website. Checking through and simplifying the page headers and layer order partially solved the problem but changing the html editing program solved the problem entirely on the affected browsers... at least those I knew about

#39185 - 12/22/05 03:06 PM Re: Willum's web page...Help
AnthonyCian Offline

Loc: Arizona, USA
Hi Larry:

Well it was worth a shot. Curious about what your monitor dpi setting is?

In XP, goto the Display Properties, Click on the Settings Tab, there click on the Advanced button. In the General Tab you should be able to see your monitor dpi setting. Is it set at 96 the normal setting? If it is then scratch that off the list. If it is not at 96, be careful in changing it back, this can be tricky on some machines. I never changed mine and thought of this as an after thought.

Anthony

[This message has been edited by AnthonyCian (edited 12-22-2005).]

#39186 - 12/22/05 03:11 PM Re: Willum's web page...Help
Marilyn Boissoneault Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Florida, USA
Larry I see exactly the same as you do on Bill's site. I've always had that problem. I usually use Opera. I notice in Firefox the problem goes away when I make the fonts smaller....in Opera the problem never goes away, even at a tiny size. Glad I know now I can view it ok in Firefox, just have to make the letters a little smaller to clear it out.

I suspect I know why I have the problem. I have bad eyes so I have set the fonts larger in XP. In display properties I have the fonts set to 120% DPI. I don't know if that might be your problem or not.

Marilyn

#39187 - 12/22/05 07:04 PM Re: Willum's web page...Help
lahawk Offline

Here is my setup:

An updated Windows XP Home with SP2
Internet Explorer 6.0....
Display Settings: 1024 x 768
32bit highest color quality
DPI settings: 124%
Screen Refresh Rate:75 Hertz
Internet Explorer Text Size: Medium
Encoding: Western European (Windows)

I, like Marilyan, prefer an increased font size when using a 1024 X 768 display setting. Thus far, the only site that I have display problems using this setting is Willum's.

Since Alec has similar trouble on one of his laptops, and Marilyan's computer has the same symptoms on Willum's site, I must aggree with Alec, that it's Willum's HTML program that is the problem for some displays.

Larry

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#39188 - 12/22/05 07:13 PM Re: Willum's web page...Help
AnthonyCian Offline

I believe the culprit is the screen resolution size setting. It's my guess to view Willum's site correctly, one must have the normal dpi of 96 set.

If this setting is different then the display may not be 100% compatible with certain webpages. Just a thought.

Anthony

#39189 - 12/22/05 07:58 PM Re: Willum's web page...Help
lahawk Offline

Anthony

Bingo !

You have found the answer!

I tried the normal DPI setting of 96, and I am able to view Willum's site with no problem.

However, even though I can increase the text size for most sites, most everything else is too small at 1024 X 768 /normal 96 DPI. I'll need to change back to 124 DPI.

So, again thanks for solving this "mystery".

Case Closed?

Larry

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#39190 - 12/22/05 10:00 PM Re: Willum's web page...Help
AnthonyCian Offline

Glad to help and that the mystery was solved.

Merry Christmas Larry and everyone here in this forum!!!

Anthony

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online