SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#391347 - 08/01/14 07:05 AM Re: No Sound from Speakers on Yamaha PSR-2000 Arranger [Re: Riceroni9]
billyhank Offline

Dave,

The headset board is a plug-in board and very easy to install.

Just lay the keyboard face down on a bed to protect the keys.
There are a bunch of Phillips(cross head) screws with several being longer than the others, so be sure to mark where those go.
When you lift the bottom up, you will want to open like a book because all the connecting cables from bottom to top halves are at the back of the board.
The headphone board is right there where the plug is located - easy to see and easy to replace. It may just have a bit of corrosion on the contacts.

Bill G

#391354 - 08/01/14 08:22 AM Re: No Sound from Speakers on Yamaha PSR-2000 Arranger [Re: Riceroni9]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Thanks, Bill:

I'll copy down your instructions and have them ready if a simpler alternative is not discovered. Sounds pretty straight-forward to me.

Regards,

Dave

#391358 - 08/01/14 10:11 AM Re: No Sound from Speakers on Yamaha PSR-2000 Arranger [Re: Riceroni9]
billyhank Offline

Dave,

Having seen this problem a number of times in the past, both Gary and I have recommended just plugging the headphone in and out repeatedly a few times sometimes clears up the problem.

You can even try this while a song or style is playing to see if there is any noise in the speakers or music.

This switch is very, very simple set of contacts that just open and close to mute or unmute the speakers.

#391368 - 08/01/14 03:22 PM Re: No Sound from Speakers on Yamaha PSR-2000 Arranger [Re: Riceroni9]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
It's a stand alone board with a single plug, which may have vibrated out. The very first thing to do, after removing the keyboard case, would be to unplug the PC board connector, then plug it back in. If that doesn't work, download the schematic diagram of the board, which will allow you to see where the connections are made. You can than use a test cable (multi-meter cable) and jump out the jack connections to see if the speakers then activate. If not, then there's always the possibility that another plug is not making good contact, possibly the one on the main amp section of the mother board. If you cannot access the schematics, I have them on file and can post them for downloading.

Good Luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#391373 - 08/01/14 04:42 PM Re: No Sound from Speakers on Yamaha PSR-2000 Arranger [Re: Riceroni9]
Riceroni9 Offline

Thanks Gary and Bill:

Tomorrow afternoon, I will begin the simple tests before I open up the case. Plugging and unplugging the 1/4 Headphone Jack several times will be first on my list. Next, I'll plug the mic into the back, adjust the volume and see if it creates any speaker sound.

Don, I really don't plan to waste any good "Spirits" on the 2000 'cause it might develop some bad habits... or Heaven Forbid... become dependent on booze.

I'll be back with tales of my adventure into Yammie land in a few days. Oh yes, I forgot to mention... the power chord will be unplugged when I begin "surgery!" LOL!

Have a great weekend, guys... and many thanks for your care and concern.

All the best,

Dave Rice

#391374 - 08/01/14 05:20 PM Re: No Sound from Speakers on Yamaha PSR-2000 Arranger [Re: Riceroni9]
billyhank Offline

Good luck Dave - we await your report. :-)

#391417 - 08/02/14 06:09 PM Re: No Sound from Speakers on Yamaha PSR-2000 Arranger [Re: Riceroni9]
Riceroni9 Offline

Hi Guys:

No progress to report. My wife discovered she could use ear buds instead of the headphones and she has been happily (and quietly) playing the feaux piano (my old 2000 arranger) off and on all day. She won't give it up long enough for me to perform my "surgical inspection."

I did attempt to use the microphone by plugging it into the back of the 2000 after removing the headphone "dummy jack" to see if any sound might emanate from the speakers in that fashion. No luck. Dead silence.

I also tried the trick of plugging in and removing the dummy jack into the headphone connection rapidly and repeatedly. Still no sound from the speakers. It may be days before I get to find out if the board is the problem... but I will let you know what I discover if I ever get the opportunity to open it up.

Thanks again for your suggestions and interest,

Dave Rice

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online