SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#390819 - 07/20/14 10:53 PM playing music and your Higher Power
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
I was commenting on a subject in another thread and it started me thinking about something I’ve been wanting to post about for a while now.

I’ve noticed a few of the members here have made reference to religion in their posts. I didn’t want to bring religion into a synthesizer group up to now, but I’m thinking, why not, if it has to do with music?

When I first started playing back in my teens, I realized I was given a gift (music talent). Then after a couple of years of thinking about it, I decided not to focus on the paycheck anymore but to play for my Higher Power and to concentrate more on entertaining His people. (That, by the way, was the best decision I ever made.)

So I’m wondering how many of you out there have strong religious beliefs they live by and that they play music by or do you have any comments about how your own Higher Power affects your attitude towards playing your music (to audiences or to yourself even)?

Mark ..............

#390821 - 07/21/14 12:49 AM Re: playing music and your Higher Power [Re: Mark79100]
Henni Offline

Loc: South Africa
Hi Mark,

Okay, so I'll bite...

We play ONLY Gospel - period. I think we compare quite well to many playing secular music on their arrangers.

However, we use music as a tool. We'll start off with high energy music that stirs up the soul realm (the mind, will & emotion realm). Next we'll flow into softer music that touches the spirit realm (the heart). Often I'll end up using my guitar only like over here. Normally, when we do this we see the extra normal manifesting like in that 10 min video clip.

So yes, to us music is a God giving talent that we are trying to utilize to the fullest extend. We use it to lay down the foundation (atmosphere) where He can do His work.

Also, where we reach out normally, everyone is busy doing his own thing. We have to grab the attention of the bystanders enough to come listen to what we have to say. And here music plays no small part in it. It has to be powerful & it has to be loud to start off with.

And yes, we are used to the police being called out as a result. However, to this day they've never stopped or even harassed us. They just listen for awhile and then move on & let us be to do His work...

Cheers,

Henni

#390822 - 07/21/14 04:17 AM Re: playing music and your Higher Power [Re: Mark79100]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
I'm sorry Henni, but don't the people who are being subjected to this UNSOLICITED and in some cases, UNWANTED (someone DID call the police) high-decibel 'entertainment' have some rights.....like the right not to have their ears blasted off by someone trying to 'get their attention' (in order to) force THEIR beliefs down their throats. I know that if it happened in my neighborhood, the police WOULD be called, but mainly to clean up the mess and identify the bodies.

I get so tired of self-appointed 'do-gooders' trying to impose their will and beliefs on the rest of society, as though the rest of us are children, in need of parental guidance. I say, you believe what you believe and let the rest of us do the same. Want to feed the hungry? clothe the naked; fine, I applaud that; but do it without the proselytizing.

JMO, of course. And yes, this topic does need to be discussed in THE BAR (in fact, a BAR is a very appropriate place for this type of discussion, as it takes quite a few drinks for most religions to make sense).

chas

#390823 - 07/21/14 04:51 AM Re: playing music and your Higher Power [Re: cgiles]
Henni Offline

Loc: South Africa
Yup mate,

Bet you don't watch any ads on TV also! Wish I could show you some of the changed lives as a result... We actually meet some of them from time to time! From stone drunk, jobless, clothed in rags to well dressed, employed & living a normal lifestyle once again!

So the police should put an end to this???

Henni

#390825 - 07/21/14 05:24 AM Re: playing music and your Higher Power [Re: Mark79100]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Oh Boy! Another opportunity to thank god I'm an atheist.

I totally agree with Chas...this stuff should be in THE BAR.

Ian

#390826 - 07/21/14 05:40 AM Re: playing music and your Higher Power [Re: Mark79100]
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
I am a Christian but I can see this discussion going South very quickly. If folks dont want to participate in the discussion its really easy to ignor it. But given the immediate strength of feeling ..I do think that some discusssion however well meant are prone to cause more heat than light.... best take it to the Bar .

#390828 - 07/21/14 05:57 AM Re: playing music and your Higher Power [Re: Mark79100]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I think it is quite appropriate since it is a discussion of using arrangers to make music in certain situations and being inspired by that situation. No different from discussing best way to use them in nursing homes, or honky-tonks and being inspired by the applause or shouts of "Play Mustang Sally!"
The thread is clearly labeled. If it doesn't interest you, just don't read it.
Right or wrong, the atheists here are quite likely in the minority. I certainly believe there is a Higher Power. I KNOW there is.

#390830 - 07/21/14 06:03 AM Re: playing music and your Higher Power [Re: spalding1968]
mirza Offline

Loc: london,ontario.canada
I usually play multiethnik and multi-religeous parties, and I refuse to even learn any religous songs.That way there is no way for me to do any religous songs.

TYROS 5,BEHRINGER X32PRODUCER,YAMAHA DSR112,JBL PRX618s XLF,EV ZLX12p,SENNHEISER E945,....ETC

#390831 - 07/21/14 06:39 AM Re: playing music and your Higher Power [Re: DonM]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By: DonM
I certainly believe there is a Higher Power. I KNOW there is.

The difference though, Don, is YOU don't insist that I believe it to. That's a mighty BIG difference for me. Plus, 'Higher Power' could be anything from NATURE to a Voodoo doll. The highest power I'm aware of is knowledge, scientific fact, logic, common sense, and empathy for the other inhabitants of our planet.

BTW, I'm used to being a minority so that doesn't bother me as I've seen too many examples of the 'majority' not necessarily being 'right' (and the horrible consequences of same).

chas

#390836 - 07/21/14 07:49 AM Re: playing music and your Higher Power [Re: Mark79100]
mirza Offline

Loc: london,ontario.canada
I guess, people think whatever you do in the name of god must be a good thing.Even killing!!
As long as you do "God's" work , it's ok.It's been done thousands years ago, it's been done hundreds years ago, it's being done today and it will be done tomorrow too.Haleluya!!!!!

TYROS 5,BEHRINGER X32PRODUCER,YAMAHA DSR112,JBL PRX618s XLF,EV ZLX12p,SENNHEISER E945,....ETC

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online