SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#389648 - 06/11/14 07:46 AM Re: HK Lucas Nano 600 Discussion / Reviews? [Re: robinkeyboardmagic]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: robinkeyboardmagic
Hi guys - just to add my thoughts to this. I have recently bought the Lucas nano 600 and I have to say, so far, I am very impressed! I had been using the Yamaha stage pas 600i, which is also a great system. For the type of bookings I mainly do (ballroom dancing etc using keyboards - Korg pa600 and tyros 4) I think the lucas nano 600 gave a really nice, high quality 'full' sound. This is probably because of the sub (the stage pas 600i is just the 2 top cabinets). Overall, I enjoyed the sound of my keyboards better through the nano 600. It is also very compact and the little top speakers very neat and don't distract visually on stage the way I find bigger top speakers can. Not sure how the nano 600 would be at a 'loud' party type booking - but I have some coming up, so we will see! Just out of interest, I have had the Bose L1 in the past (all models except the compact). My thoughts were that they were great quality, but I like playing in stereo and it seemed a lot of Bose pieces to take in to the booking to achieve this.

I agree on All those Pieces also Grrrrrr!

#389649 - 06/11/14 07:57 AM Re: HK Lucas Nano 600 Discussion / Reviews? [Re: jimlaing]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Two Bose Compacts=two very light speakers, two extremely light extensions, four cords.
Two powered speakers=two speakers, two cords, two big stands. Also add sub if you want deep bass.
Compacts weigh a lot less and either system will set up in no more than 30-45 seconds. You don't have to lift the Bose onto stands.
There are uses for both types of set ups depending on whether you want to cover the entire room fairly equally or want loud sound up close with significant fall off in the back.

#389651 - 06/11/14 08:47 AM Re: HK Lucas Nano 600 Discussion / Reviews? [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

I'm talking about L1 systems not compacts... 8 out of 10 venues that I see are NOT using Bose systems, DJ's & live bands around here use conventional PA's w/ Subs .....
so I guess the myth of filling a room with sound is just that. The Bose system in stereo is not worth $5000.00 vs some of the great powered sound systems you can buy like Yamaha, JBL, QSC, EV, at so much less cost thats sound phenomenal. Plain and simple, I tried both Bose models for a while on stage, but the compacts would distort on big jobs when pushed hard, ....yes they have their limits!!...... and the bigger L1's left an emptiness in the sound to my ears that after a while I couldn't live with anymore plus the fact of transporting ALL those odly shaped pieces and covers on a cart night after night, day after day, put the nail in the coffin. I respect others who enjoy the Bose systems, .....
but it wont be on any of my stages ever again. cool2

#389658 - 06/11/14 04:13 PM Re: HK Lucas Nano 600 Discussion / Reviews? [Re: jimlaing]
J. Larry Offline

Loc: University, MS 38677 USA
.....and the bigger L1's left an emptiness in the sound to my ears that after a while I couldn't live with anymore plus the fact of transporting ALL those oddly shaped pieces and covers on a cart night after night, day after day, put the nail in the coffin. I respect others who enjoy the Bose systems, .....

That's the same way I saw it when I had the L1 model II.

#389696 - 06/12/14 02:14 PM Re: HK Lucas Nano 600 Discussion / Reviews? [Re: robinkeyboardmagic]
jimlaing Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
So, the Nano 600's are finally shipping? Where did you buy yours? I'll be eager to hear more reviews now that they are out there and available to buy ...

Thanks,
Jim

#389704 - 06/12/14 11:23 PM Re: HK Lucas Nano 600 Discussion / Reviews? [Re: jimlaing]
robinkeyboardmagic Offline

Hi - I'm based in the UK - bought from a local dealer. So far, really liking the nano 600. Used it on a couple of bookings and the sound was very good - still can't hide my wrong notes, though! Also looks very neat on stage. Very compact way of getting stereo, enough volume for me, so far and with nice amount of bass.

#389708 - 06/13/14 06:20 AM Re: HK Lucas Nano 600 Discussion / Reviews? [Re: robinkeyboardmagic]
jimlaing Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Hi - thanks. I use the StagePas 500, a near equivalent of your StagePas 600i. So, I'm particularly curious how you like the Nano 600 as compared to the StagePas ... both for sound quality, projection/power, bass response, loudness if needed, ease of setup and time to set up Nano vs. StagePas ... also, how you like the mixer being "near the floor" (on the Nano subwoofer) vs. the StagePas's small mixer that can be placed (perhaps) closer to your keyboard.

I like the idea of the Nano 600 ... wondering about how well it can cover a venue as compared to the StagePas.

Did you get the HK speaker stands, or use mic stands or something else?

Thanks!
Jim

#389778 - 06/15/14 04:45 AM Re: HK Lucas Nano 600 Discussion / Reviews? [Re: jimlaing]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
While there are varying opinions of the Bose L1 there something that can't be ignored. Speaker arrays as the Bose L1 uses are the future of PA speaker systems. Go to any major concert now and the PA will use a speaker array. The advantage is the mix sounds good anywhere in the room or arena. It maybe that the Bose L1 array could cover the midrange frequencies more if a larger speaker size was used for the array. But the success of a speaker array over conventional systems is obvious.

http://www.performing-musician.com/pm/feb09/articles/technotes.htm?print=yes

#389785 - 06/15/14 08:42 AM Re: HK Lucas Nano 600 Discussion / Reviews? [Re: jimlaing]
124 Offline

Thanks, Nigel. Back in the day, we had a pair of Selmer colums (didn't everyone?) that we'd perch on chairs, beer crates, etc., and, thinking back, they did produce a good PA sound - never any complaints from anyone. To drive them we had an H/H guitar amp head (still doing duty with one of my old buddies), really basic tone controls and singing through Shure Unidyne III mics.

It all seems a bit antiquated now, but portability was pretty lightweight. Things got heavier as time went on (myself included:)), and now that portability is more of an issue, today's lightweight gear is a nice progression.

#389786 - 06/15/14 08:52 AM Re: HK Lucas Nano 600 Discussion / Reviews? [Re: 124]
Dnj Offline

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online