SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#38806 - 08/09/02 01:54 PM new kn7000
New Yorker Offline

Loc: St. Petersburg, Russia
I've always played Roland or Yamaha keyboards but heard about Technics' awesome sequencer and now considering of buying new kn7000.

However, I'm into modern dance music and I wonder if anyone can help me by answering a few of my questions based on your 6500/6000 arranger:

- does it have dance/techno drum kits
- how many?
- synth sounds for this type of music? Are they really good and approximately how many of them?
- Good bass?
- Is it easy to create styles with technics?

Thank you.

------------------
New Yorker

#38807 - 08/09/02 04:24 PM Re: new kn7000
Frank Bez Offline

Loc: Avila Beach, CA, U.S.A.
Hi New Yorker,

- does it have dance/techno drum kits
- how many? IT HAS JUST ONE TECHNO KIT, HOWEVER THE DANCE, ELECTRIC, POWER AND HOUSE KITS MAY BE USEFUL TO YOU.
- synth sounds for this type of music? Are they really good and approximately how many of them? THERE ARE DOZENS OF SYNTH SOUNDS, AND IT’S DX7 SYNTHESIS TECHNOLOGY ALLOWS YOU TO CREATE VIRTUALLY ANY SOUND YOU WISH, WITH OUTSTANDING SOUND PROCESSING.
- Good bass? THE BUILT-IN SPEAKERS ON THE KN6000/6500 HAVE EXCELLENT BASS RESPONSE. WITH A GOOD PA SYSTEM, CHEST THUMPING IS NO PROBLEM.
- Is it easy to create styles with technics? THIS IS THE BEST PART OF THIS INSTRUMENT. WORKING IN THE COMPOSER IS SOOOO EASY. AND, ADAPTING MIDI FILES INTO TECHNICS FILES REQUIRES JUST A FEW SIMPLE STEPS.

I think you would do well to check it out.

Frank

#38808 - 08/09/02 04:54 PM Re: new kn7000
Jupitar5 Offline

Loc: United States
Hello New Yorker.

I think I remember you asking a similar question here a while back

KN6000/6500

And I would agree with the replies that followed in general. I had a kn6000/6500 for about 2-3 years, but was unable to obtain the sounds you are after (Dance sounds at a Pro level that is). The Use of the Controller ball helped a little on "basses" (Moog basses etc), but the controller ball will, I think, be absent in the KN7000 (bad omission IMO).

The Drums, Bass, and Synth sounds were just "OK" IMHO, but would not be acceptable in a professional dance mix (also IMO). Just one Idea though (one I thought of doing) how about getting (say) a Yamaha CS1X or CS2X...(more money I know - but are fairly cheap) to use for your "Dance" sounds, and the KN6000/6500 for the soloist/Piano/Other sounds etc, and the "Meat & Potatoes" sounds as they say. Just a thought. You could then of course use this Synth to play back through the Technics Sequencer (40,000 note capacity)

For me, the KN6500 didn't "cut" for a dance machine, but with the addition of a Drum "N" Bass/Solo Synth, you could do a lot with the Sequencer in conjunction with it. And with a Yamaha CSX1 Weighing only 5.7 KG's its a fairly light affair too.

J5

#38809 - 08/09/02 05:01 PM Re: new kn7000
New Yorker Offline

Loc: St. Petersburg, Russia
I'm relatively new to the scene and have 0 knowledge of the suggested stuff from you to work. I mean, if I have an arranger and would like to use the drums or other synths from Motif... How can I implement all that into the arrangements of an arranger? I'm confused. Can I give you a call and we can talk a little about this setup?

i'd really appreciate that.

------------------
New Yorker

#38810 - 08/09/02 05:08 PM Re: new kn7000
Jupitar5 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Frank Bez:

- Good bass? THE BUILT-IN SPEAKERS ON THE KN6000/6500 HAVE EXCELLENT BASS RESPONSE. WITH A GOOD PA SYSTEM, CHEST THUMPING IS NO PROBLEM.

Frank

The Speakers on the KN6000 do have some thump about them, but I'm not sure if New Yorker meant this when he mentioned "good Bass". I think he was talking about the Samples that are used to create the "Dance sound" he wants, rather than the actual output volume (I think!)

J5

#38811 - 08/09/02 05:25 PM Re: new kn7000
Jupitar5 Offline

New Yorker, without the keyboard or manual besides me, It's not so easy to remember the midi channels used in this set up for the kn6500 etc. And besides, I have a digital Piano now (KR577 Roland 128 note poly) so I don't do Midi/keyboard/synth connections now (except PC), but just use this instrument alone.

However, It was possible to record an external device straight into the composer/Sequencer by assigning the same midi channel etc. Poly 1, poly 2 (channel 1/2) Bass/Drums (Channel 3/10 etc). Someone who has a KN6000 may be in a better position to answer your Question in more detail.

J5

[This message has been edited by Jupitar5 (edited 08-09-2002).]

#38812 - 08/10/02 01:42 AM Re: new kn7000
technicsplayer Offline

in case you're confused the 7000 is a high quality sampled instrument with additive/subtractive synthesis, albeit extremely comprehensive, many would say to pro standard, but has nothing to do with DX7 technology.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online