SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#38750 - 10/05/02 02:39 PM Expression With Rhythm
Sissle Offline

Loc: USA - South Dakota
Hi Everyone,

Have just had an opportunity to learn something about the Yamaha CVP209. It has one "outstanding" feature and am wondering if the KN7000 has this or there are any plans in the future of Technics to add this wonderful tool.

The 209 has the ability to program in "key notes". The "key notes" are notes within your song where you want to add expression by slowing the rhythm down for maybe a note or two, or a whole measure (or as many notes in the song as you wish). How it works is you play the rhythm normally and program in the key notes by playing just those notes where you want to input expression. For instance, if in measure 9, I wanted to slow the song down on beats 3 and 4, I would play just those notes on beat 3 and 4 in the song so they record to the key note track. When done inserting the key notes for the whole song, you play the song as normal, but with expression instead of just 1,2,3,4; 1,2,3,4. Here is how it works -- when you get to those pre-programed key notes, your rhythm pauses on the beat prior (in my example, it would be beat 2) to your key note until you actually play the note for beat 3. Then it will hold beat 3 until you play the key note for beat 4. This is way cool, and adds so much to an expressive song. Come on, Technics, I want this feature!

What do you think folks? Is it on the 7000, or do we have to wait -- buying the 209 is out of the question as it is selling at a very inflated price!

Carol

#38751 - 10/05/02 04:38 PM Re: Expression With Rhythm
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi Carol, Couple of things to think about - if you are playing live, you could always use a foot pedal to stop the auto rhythm, maintain a Left hand chord, play the particular notes or passage on right hand and then restart. It doesn't of course make the rhythm step forward as you play the right hand notes. This is a method which I have used on some songs to quite good effect.
If you wish to incorporate the effect in a sequenced song, then it can be done in 'Step-Record' editing, after recording the sequence. Just select the Control Track, measure/cursor forward to where you want to slow down, rotate the 'Tempo' wheel until the desired tempo reduction is indicated, then press the 'YES' key to lock in the new tempo. Then cursor forward to the point at which you wish to restore the tempo, rotate the 'Tempo' wheel to the original value and again press the 'YES' key.
There may be other ways to achieve this effect and if there are, I'm sure we will hear about them.
Hope this helps

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#38752 - 10/05/02 06:07 PM Re: Expression With Rhythm
Sissle Offline

Hi Willum,

Thanks for the info. I have never tried that before, so will give it a shot. Am wondering tho, how difficult it is to depress the pedal at just the "right spot" in the measure so the tempo change is seamless? Also, do you find that programming the changes in the Control Track creates a smoother transition in comparrison to the pedal change? I ask this question because changing from Panel Memory to Panel Memory using the pedal has to be done precisely at the exact time in order to have a flawless performance, and I am sometimes all fumble fingers and toes at this. Occasionally I think the only point of contact I have with Mother Earth while playing is the part that I sit on because everything else is on the move! (Not sure that God intended for me to be this coordinated!) The idea of how Yamaha has incorporated this feature into their instrument still fascinates and excites me. I want a Technics instrument with this feature. AND I WANT IT NOW!! (How is that for being a spoiled brat?)

And, by the way, there are no live performances for me! First I would have to find someone who wants to hear me play! Not an easy task! But, I sure can entertain myself for hours and hours! Pay isn't too hot tho!

Carol

#38753 - 10/06/02 12:14 PM Re: Expression With Rhythm
Walter McLaren Offline

Loc: Borders. Scotland
Hi Carol,
when I use the footswitch I depress it some time before I need it and lift my foot at the appropiate time,I find this very accurate with very little practise, worth trying. (I assume all footswitches, non latching, work the same way).
Regards. Walter.

#38754 - 10/06/02 04:17 PM Re: Expression With Rhythm
Sissle Offline

Hi Walter,

Thanks for the tip! I never thought of doing that. I have always done a quick down/up on my pedal. Your method would make it much easier to hit the exact spot right before the beat where you want to make the change. You wouldn't waste the millisecond with the down motion and end up with the change being obvious to the listeners because you weren't quite quick enough. Not only that, but your method is a much more relaxed motion which by itself is an improvement over my method. Thanks again, you Forum members are way cool!

Carol

#38755 - 10/07/02 03:48 AM Re: Expression With Rhythm
John North Offline

Loc: Alfreton, Derbyshire, England
Hi Carol
Another method that I use is to set Memory to Off and Synchro to On. That way as soon as you take your left hand off the keys, the rhythm stops. It will then start on beat 1 when you play the next left hand chord. The only problem with it, is remembering to keep a note depressed on the left hand so the rhythm doesn't stop. You could just use this setting in one of your panel memories
John

#38756 - 10/07/02 09:18 PM Re: Expression With Rhythm
Sissle Offline

Hi John,

Thank you also for your suggestion. I will try that one too. You people are doing your best to make a musician out of me in spite of myself! Thanks for all the wonderful help.

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the MP3 file showing me how shutting off the rhythm mid measure, slowing down for expression, and then resuming the rhythm on beat one of the next measure sounds. I appreciate your kindness!

Carol

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online