SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#387352 - 04/01/14 09:26 PM Re: Audya versus the S950... [Re: Henni]
Henni Offline

Loc: South Africa
Hi Gary,

Your explanation hits it squarely on the head. I think the Audya sounds more crisp, clean or whatever one would call it. It's like the individual instruments each stand out on it's own.

In my opinion at least, the Yamaha sounds more "muffled". I do not know how else to describe it, so this should suffice for now. The styles on the Yamaha are AWESOME!!! No argue there. I think I've grown too accustomed to the overall sound of the Audya over the two years I've had it.

It's NOT specifically the drums on the Audya as I've come to the conclusion that many styles that I've converted and tweaked to the Audya sounds just as good as those with the default audio drums.

I'll give you the best example I can. I've downloaded some of the songs recorded by Eileen on her Tyros. I do not know how she does it, but her recordings (at least those I've listened to) sounds much more "clean" and better processed than any others I've heard from over there. There is a distinct difference. It is some processing she does to the overall sound. I do not know what she uses or how she does it.

It seems that the Audya has this built in as standard. I say again, I do not know how or what, I just know that it's there.

My next test will be to route the S950's "out" to the Audya's "in" and hear if there is any difference. I'll put a dummy plug into the earphone jack to kill the Yamaha's sound. I'm also going to hook the mic to the Audya's input and try playing the S950 on it's own. Yes, I realize I won't have harmonies, but it'll be worth the try.

Once again I say & I want to make this perfectly clear to all: I have absolutely nothing bad to say about Yamaha, this is purely my perception of what I currently hear. I have absolutely no intention to get rid of my S950. Maybe I'll still get to the bottom of this...

The modern recording companies do some wonderful tweaking to the later recordings. They create an "ambience" to it that was not there during the recording. It sounds "warm" & pleasing & "natural" to the ear. (note, I'm a novice to this - I try my best to describe what I hear only). It must be some special software they use. Well, I think the Audya does this by default - I have no other way to describe it.

Either this or they've found a way to alter how their midi voices sound and also a way to make definite distinction between them. I'm sure someone like AJ would be able to explain the technicality behind it - I can only testify to the fact that it is there.

Cheers,

Henni

#387382 - 04/02/14 09:57 AM Re: Audya versus the S950... [Re: Henni]
Henni Offline

Hi all,

I concur with what I've said above. I just routed the S950s "out" to the Audyas "in". Used the headphones in the Audya jack only. Muted the S950 with a dummy earphone plug. Used the same style, "Homebeat" on both arrangers.

I could not have described the results more accurately above. Anyone with both an Ajamsonic Audya and late model Yamaha can go through the same excersize for themselves & post their findings here. Would be interesting to compare their findings with mine.

Keep well all,

Henni

#387391 - 04/02/14 11:33 AM Re: Audya versus the S950... [Re: Henni]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I came to the same conclusion a long time ago. PSRS950 is really nice and fun but the overall sound is not what I want to hear.
Free opinion for what it's worth. smile

#388618 - 05/05/14 03:38 AM Re: Audya versus the S950... [Re: DonM]
Henni Offline

This highlights this clearly. The quality of that is hard to believe being for real...

Henni

#388634 - 05/06/14 09:43 AM Re: Audya versus the S950... [Re: Henni]
Henni Offline

Hi all,

I so much want to make the S950 work as it is so easy to carry around. Played with the vocal/harmonizer for three hours again. I do not have enough savvy to make it work, no matter what I do.

Next we fire up the Audya. Recorded this on first try, no sweat. We are only two novices, so I have to be satisfied with this attempt.

I guess I'll give up on the Yamaha for now. I really don't want to, but I just CANNOT get it to sound as clear as this.

Cheers all,

Henni

Attachments
Mybestfriend.mp3 (83 downloads)

#388636 - 05/06/14 12:29 PM Re: Audya versus the S950... [Re: DannyUK]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: DannyUK
Do Ketron have mid-range keyboards in their line anymore? In fact, I am not even sure they ever made them, I've always known them to be TOTL. I think a fairer comparison would be with a least a Tyros 4 at the very minimum as the T4 does have a fuller sound than the S950 and it's most noticeable in the drums.

Danny,

The Audya has dropped in price dramatically from £4200 to £2900, it was old technology when it came on the market and even older now, still it sounds good, but I think what's on the T5 will see it off, I don't think Ketron have the money to bring out a new KBA to catch up, don't think they will ever catch up.
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#388637 - 05/06/14 01:01 PM Re: Audya versus the S950... [Re: Henni]
DonM Offline

I think it's the other companies that have not caught up with Audya! smile
All in the eyes of the beholder, or player.

#388638 - 05/06/14 01:21 PM Re: Audya versus the S950... [Re: Henni]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Henni
Hi all,
I so much want to make the S950 work as it is so easy to carry around. Played with the vocal/harmonizer for three hours again. I do not have enough savvy to make it work, no matter what I do.

"Just for the heck of it this morning before my gig I took another attempt to adjust the VH2 setting in the S950 of which up to this time 1 yr+ was useless to me for so many reasons.
On the suggestion of a friend I tried to follow all the settings given in this You Tube Video explained by Robbiedoes.nl ... just stop the video make changes & continue till your done then save and name file. Then assign to whatever registrations needed.
It will also work on T4, etc,..I followed ALL his recommendations exactly, ....EXCEPT I changed his Chordal selection 3Abv.Jazz.....to 3Abv.Chordal....
and his Vocal Effect Type 80sPOP Rev to R&R Delay..w/ 16 rev.
This made a BIG difference in chord/vocal tracking your voice. headphone

I might even use the VH again when I'm performing with just the keyboard on small gigs......it's no TC Helicon,..
But now tracking is possibly acceptable for light duty gigs.

check it out let us know what you think?." cool2

Edited by Dnj (05/06/14 01:22 PM)

#388639 - 05/06/14 01:54 PM Re: Audya versus the S950... [Re: Henni]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
What's the definition of a light duty gig v/s a heavy-duty gig? To me they're all the same. No changes in anything. Today, 50 couples on the dancefloor throughout the afternoon, they had a ball, wanted to know when I was coming back, several took cards for private parties and said they would call when they got things arranged. I told them all to call me first for date availability cause I only have a few days open each month, literally.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#388640 - 05/06/14 02:01 PM Re: Audya versus the S950... [Re: Henni]
DonM Offline

As most of us can, I can make any modern arranger work to entertain the people. Where I'm critical is what I hear myself. I know what I want it to sound like, and I'm not really happy if I don't hear it, despite the audience response.
I'm fairly close with Korg. Closer with Audya, but at this point, it's too heavy, and the expense is not worth it to me, given the number of jobs I'm doing.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online