SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#385309 - 02/26/14 01:26 AM Audio styles
Bachus Offline

I keep wondering why Yamaha choose the easy way out with their audio styles.... Because i dont think they are true audio styles but audio drums.

Personally i dont think audio drum tracks add all that much, because i am absolutely sure that if i would let the same drummer play a midi drumset instead of a real drum over audio, the result would be just as sparkling and live.. If only the drumset samples would be of the highest quallity.. But Drums and percussion are in my humble opinion some of the easiest things to sample in high quallity.. And even the resonance created by a drum on the other parts of the the drumkit can be implemented by a good effects system

I dont see audiio drums as something sensational...

Personal, i think if you add audio to a style, you can get most of it on natural accoustic things.... Like a realistic strumming guitar, brass and wood instruments... And even accoustic and electric basses.... Or just full orchestra sounds...

This is something Yamaha realised to see with their Audio styles in the s950 and the T5, adding audio drums to a style does not make it an audio style...

As an owner of a ( mostly living in the ketron repair system ) audya, i can tell you that having real audio tracks for basses guitars and such adds much more then audio drums. But all this comes at a cost of these tracks only reacting based on the major chord changes... Maj/min/sept, but not on the more subtle things like advanced chord progressions.. It also lacks a lot in the department of creating your own styles... But overall the Ketron implementation of audio styles by far exceeds what yamaha has done in the S950 and T5

There really is a future for audio style parts, and i am wondering if Ketron will add another step with their upcomming products or if they allow the likes of Korg to catch up ...

But in general i would prefer if everyone talked about Audio drums ( wersi has them for almost a decade now) when they talk about the Yamaha styles..... And about audio styles when they talk about the Ketron styles..

http://keyszone.boards.net

#385321 - 02/26/14 07:32 AM Re: Audio styles [Re: Bachus]
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.

I completely concur with what Bachus says. Better still I prefer Midi drums over audio drums any time. Both on my Korg PA800 and even more on the old Ketron X1 I can manipulate the drums in a way you can't even get close with audio drums.
How about indvidual settings for each part of the drumset for volume, reverb, panning, on/off, etc. But if you are happy with the audio drums that's fine by me!!!

regards,
John

#385324 - 02/26/14 08:06 AM Re: Audio styles [Re: Bachus]
Dnj Offline

Yammy should dump the audio drums and redesign the VH. & MFD.

#385326 - 02/26/14 09:04 AM Re: Audio styles [Re: Bachus]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
OK guys, just fire up those word processor programs and send Yamaha USA via Steve Demming a letter stating what you think they should do - who knows, you may get your wishes. smile Think about it: You asked for a black keyboard, you got it. You asked for a 76-key TOTL arranger, you got it. You asked for a better vocal harmonizer - you got it. You asked for an onboard audio recorder - you got it. You asked for an MFD that could access style files from any storage area - you got it. You asked for a better onboard sound system - you got it. You asked for a better LED display - you got it. In fact, Yamaha is probably the only company that had their company rep put a questionnaire on various forums and request input from the membership. "Yamaha Listens" Within reason, Yamaha pretty much did everything that everyone asked for. All you had to do was ask. So, step up to the plate and spend a few minutes compiling a written list in the form of a letter, send it to Steve Demming, and who knows, you may get exactly what you asked for. With Yamaha, it's not all that uncommon.

Thanks Yamaha,

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (02/26/14 09:10 AM)

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#385327 - 02/26/14 09:14 AM Re: Audio styles [Re: Bachus]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Oh yes, Gary, they are real good about listening to what we want.
Is there an icon about having your tongue in your cheek?
We've been complaining about the drum kits and vocal harmonizer for a lot of YEARS now.
Steve is great, and maybe Yamaha Japan listens to him a little, but don't hold your breath. Still, it certainly can't hurt to try.

#385347 - 02/26/14 02:48 PM Re: Audio styles [Re: Bachus]
travlin'easy Offline

Don and Donny, I really cannot complain about any Yamaha arranger keyboard I've owned in two decades. I'll admit, they could have done a better job with the vocal harmonizer in the past, but the new one on the S-950 seems to do a bang-up job. It really sounds good, in fact, almost as good as my TC Helicon Harmony-M, but not quite. The drum kits have never been a problem for me or my audiences. Keep in mind, though, that I really don't rely heavily on the drum kits - my best attribute is my vocal ability. Today I performed at the oldest retirement community in the nation, Pickersgill Retirement. I was in their auditorium, had about 125 people in the audience, and one of the assistant ADs came in with a half-dozen college girls from Towson State University - damned those gals were purdy! The assistant AD asked my to play Hot Hot Hot, which I did live, using the Zuke style on the keyboard. Within a few minutes I had 50 people in a conga line winding through the huge room and out into the halways. Later, a young lady from the book keeping department came in, walked up to me while I was playing Elvira, and asked if I would perform "He Stopped Loving Her Today." She said I sound a lot like George Jones and thought I could really belt out the song. When I finished the song, she came up and gave me a big hug and kiss - God I love this job.

In all the years I've been playing, both with bands and when I picked guitar with a Roland drum machine, no one has ever come up and said anything positive or negative about the drums - not one person, including a lot of musicians. So for me, it's a non-issue.

All the best,

Gary cool

#385351 - 02/26/14 03:26 PM Re: Audio styles [Re: Bachus]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Some of us have highe/ woops I mean different standards! smile

#385353 - 02/26/14 03:31 PM Re: Audio styles [Re: Bachus]
travlin'easy Offline

Yeah, but I've Got Friends In Low Places! wink

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (02/26/14 03:31 PM)

#385355 - 02/26/14 04:15 PM Re: Audio styles [Re: Dnj]
KORG80 Offline

Definitely rework the Vocal Harmony, If it was any good I'd be playing an S 950 instead of my PSR S 750.

God Bless,
Don

#385356 - 02/26/14 04:42 PM Re: Audio styles [Re: Bachus]
zuki Offline

If I recall, Korg had a questionnaire on their web site, although not through a rep. I filled in requests, but can't remember what I asked for smile

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online