SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#384677 - 02/17/14 10:13 AM My Story-A Musical Life
Joesax Offline

Loc: Southern New Jersey
Don't know if this had been suggested before but I thought it might be interesting to read a short bio of members musical life. I know I would be interested in reading about other member's musical life experiences. So to kick it off I am sending mine:

I’ve loved music all my life. A day without music is a bad day. Even as a small child I loved movie scores and I was listening to big bands, Sinatra, etc by the time I was 10. Listening was not enough. I wanted to play it. I would have loved to play piano but we couldn’t afford lessons or a piano. In my teens I discovered Jazz and Jazz Saxophonists. I became obsessed with the Tenor Sax and Coltrane, Getz, etc were my idols. At 16 I pleaded with my Dad to get Sax lessons. He relented. I took to it quickly practicing for hours every day using an old C Melody sax provided by Payne Music where I took lessons in South Philly. My teacher luckily was a Jazz musician so he schooled me on improvising and told me not to join a String Band as it would destroy my sound. Eventually my Dad bought me a used Conn 10m Tenor for $189 at 8th Street Music. I wanted a Selmer but used ones were $400-$500. Within a year I met 4 other guys in High School and we formed a band, The Jay 5, so-named because we were all named Joe. I spent the next 25 years playing every type of job: Swim Clubs, Bars, Fashion Shows, a Square Dance, many, many Weddings and New Year’s Eve events, etc. Career, Family, etc ended the group but it was fun while it lasted. I continued to play my sax but playing alone was not as interesting even with the numerous play-along tapes and CDs I had. Plus a wind instrument requires continual playing to keep in playing shape. Stop for a few months and you have to work hard to get back in playing condition. So in 2008 when I realized what I could do with modern keyboards I sold my Tenor for $450 and my classic mouthpieces (some vintage) for another $500 and bought an Arranger Keyboard. Two years later I got a Motif Workstation and now I am having wonderful musical time. I find that I enjoy improvising and composing more than just playing or covering songs and have written enough works to create 5 CDs that I share with friends and family. I also post some on sites like this as well as my own site. It amazes me every day what we can do with these keyboards. I even have a great Tenor sound on my Tyros. These keyboards (any brand) are truly magical devices and I am so happy I live in a time when they exist. It is something I could not even imagine I would have when I was that child enthralled with Max Steiner’s or Korngold’s film scores or Getz and Coltrane’s recordings. It’s a great time to be a musician.
Tyros 3, Motif XF6, Quad Amp/Pre-Amp/DAC, Quad Monitors, Tascam Digital Recorder

#384681 - 02/17/14 11:45 AM Re: My Story-A Musical Life [Re: Joesax]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Great idea!
I don't have time to do all that right now, but here it is in short.
Went to school, got a real job, didn't like to work, started playing music. smile

#384682 - 02/17/14 12:04 PM Re: My Story-A Musical Life [Re: Joesax]
Tyrosman5
Unregistered

I loved music at a very early age (4) and used to play a windup phonograph at my Aunts for hours. Started ear playing on a player piano my folks had. Found a book on chords for piano
at a downtown store and in a short time was playing songs from
memory. In high school I belonged to a small group of players
who got together once a week in the auditorium.
From these players, I Joined a small group and we played weddings and dances. Also listened much of the time to Big Bands and paid attention to how they worked together.
After visiting a Rollar Skating Ring I was fascinated by the
organ and bought many records of Organists to study.
Finally bought an organ and began to learn how to play it including pedals. Had many organs including Lowrey, Hammond,Wersi.
After hearing keyboards I bought one and have played Yamaha,Korg,Roland. Now have a Tyros 5-76 and keep in contact
with many who enjoy the same hobby. Music has been a major
source of enjoyment and even now as I am 84 years Young ! Lloyd

#384683 - 02/17/14 12:49 PM Re: My Story-A Musical Life [Re: Joesax]
Joesax Offline

Thanks Lloyd that was very interesting. I can still remember when organs can out with other instrument sounds. I was fascinated but they were very expensive at least for where I was financially at the time.
Tyros 3, Motif XF6, Quad Amp/Pre-Amp/DAC, Quad Monitors, Tascam Digital Recorder

#384684 - 02/17/14 12:53 PM Re: My Story-A Musical Life [Re: Joesax]
Joesax Offline

Thanks Lloyd that was very interesting. I can still remember when organs can out with other instrument sounds. I was fascinated but they were very expensive at least for where I was financially at the time.

#384687 - 02/17/14 01:56 PM Re: My Story-A Musical Life [Re: Joesax]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
You guys have heard about me way too many times, but I did want to tell you that I am enjoying reading about others here.

Russ

Edited by captain Russ (02/17/14 01:56 PM)

#384705 - 02/17/14 06:39 PM Re: My Story-A Musical Life [Re: Joesax]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Funny, I recently posted this on fb to chronicle my involvement in the arts a bit too.. (It's long winded .... get a cup of tea)

Here's a brief timeline of how music shaped my life, fed my family, and kept my accountant busy:

1955: born ... screaming at 2am. A night owl from the start
1959: singing my baby sister to sleep with a rousing rendition of "over the seas, let's go men" ... woke her up more than soothed her to sleep
1961: got a guitar for Christmas. A cheap, plastic Sears toy that I sat on and busted that same day. My hero (Dad) took it back, and got it replaced. He failed to mention how his chubby little son was at fault, and not the manufacturer.
1964: February 9th, Sunday night with millions of others, watching Ed Sullivan .... saw and HEARD the Beatles. Thought to myself .... "I could DO that!"
1965-69: formed small garage bands with schoolmates. I played 12 string acoustic and sang, Mike Revak played lead guitar, George Shay on Bass and Mike Harkins on drums. We played our first paid gig as eighth graders at a college graduation party. We knew 7 songs, so we repeated them 2 or 3 times. $5 each, all we could eat and got to hang with the college girls on breaks. Life was good, and I was a professional, paid musician.
1969: Started High School: played Freshman football with buddies ... didn't realize the band was cooler than the jocks just yet. After weeks and weeks of hearing "Boyd - give me 20!" "Boyd, hit the dirt!" "Boyd, start runnin’!" ... I finally figured out that sports was not my strongest suit ... especially since on the other practice field, the marching band had about a hundred girls in the band-front with batons and rifles .... oh, baby. I went to join the band - the director asked what do I play. I responded "Guitar" ... he said "We don't have a cord long enough to reach the football field ... play drums"... so I did. Well, the drummers were just a tad "too cool" for school … basically, jocks with sticks that didn't have to pick up their feet as high as the other players .... like a separate society within the band. I was the odd man out, for sure. So, I go back to Mr C, the band director, and asked for something else. He handed me a small briefcase ... a clarinet. I took one look at it and said "This is a sissy instrument!" (tactful, even at an early age) ... he looked back at me, and with ZERO emotion in his voice told me "This is MY instrument, son." (note to self: remove foot from mouth) I took it home and showed my Dad. He took out a few Pete Fountain records (remember RECORDS?) and said "listen to these" … I did, and fell in love with the sound. I began my quest to be the best clarinetist I could be. Over the next 3 years at HS, I reached 1st chair clarinet, played the solo from "Rhapsody in Blue" at Graduation, earned a scholarship to Temple as a music major, and still found time to act in plays, gig on the weekends (piano, bass, guitar and drums), and fall in love with my high school sweetheart (not a redhead) Marie, who is the mother of my son, Christopher, and someone I deeply admire and respect to this day. Our kids are friends, our lives still connect at family functions and I consider Mark (my husband-in-law) to be a welcome addition to our blended family.

So, the “70s” …here I am entering Temple U as a clarinetist during the Disco years. Hmmmm ... what to DO with this instrument? If I am so bold to believe that I'm good enough, my options are:
1)local Philly/NY theater: ... naw - I could never play the SAME THING day after day for years on end. I'd go nuts.
2)Philadelphia Orchestra ... those guys pretty much have a job till they die ... tough breaking into THAT club.
3)teaching school ... NO WAY - all day long with a bunch of high school kids? I just LEFT that world. (sign of things to come, perhaps?)
4)form a top 40 band and play the circuit locally, marry Marie, make babies and music.

1975: I chose #4. After 2 years of college - I decided that full time music was my future, so I left school, got married and shifted my career into high gear.
Bass players who sang were not as common in our area, so I never had a problem finding a working band. We played the top hits, stayed local and went home to our families every night. It was a good living, and it provided 6-7 night of work each week for almost a decade. By 1978, the night shift, and the youth factor hit Marie and I pretty hard, and she was tired of going to sleep alone every night, and that led to our decision to separate. She went home to Mom, and I stayed in the house. Dad had lent us the money for the down payment, so it seemed fair.
From 1975 till 1985, there were duos, trios, 14 pc swing bands, 10 pc funk/dance bands, and the occasional solo piano bar thing. Work was plentiful, I was single and the business was still fun.
Mid 80s: DJs and drunk driving laws put a dent in the live scene, so the bands kept shrinking .... I figured, the last guy standing will be the keyboardist, so I concentrated on that for a while. Karaoke put the final nail in the coffin of many bands in the area, but the soloist (power single, we were called) had no problem working the same rooms. I played venues that 5 pc bands used to play, and got almost the same money. In some cases ... even more, because I had a great local following.

April 15th, 1984: Proud moment at the Phillies/Mets game in South Philly. I sang the National Anthem in front of 35,000 screaming fans, and to make it even sweeter ... Ford Motor Company sponsored the night, so all my Dad's work buddies were there to see it. It was a blast! Funniest part was when the Phillies hostess seated my (soon to be) wife, Donna, my son Chris and nephew Matt ... she looked at the boys, looked at Donna and said "They look JUST LIKE YOU!" hee, hee ... no relation at all. Still a great musical memory - standing on the pitchers mound ... hearing that 2 second delay from the loudspeakers to my ears ... it was surreal, for sure, and in my own way ... I hit one "outta heeeeeeere!" (HK)

Late 80s: Still hanging on to a few band scenarios, mostly me and a guitarist, or a sax ... drums were all electronic now. My go to rig was a Rhodes piano, Moog bass, Clavinet, and whatever "synth du jour" was making the scene. Setups were big and bulky, and took up loads of stage real-estate. Still, the work was there, the dancers showed up, and money kept coming in.
1989: Full time soloist now ... the Rhodes and Clav are retired to home studio, and I'm using all digital arranger keyboards now ... singing through the built in speakers in most, and using much more efficient sound systems to cover the room. Bose was monumental in reshaping the entertainer’s sound needs, and I tried them all. I had one of the earliest vocal harmonizers, and became known for the vocal sound that I put out. I also started doing little dinner theater" shows ... Phantom of the Opera, Lez Miz, Oklahoma, South Pacific ... just 7-8 minute medleys (in full costume) at a featured time each night. This became another "calling card" for me. It was something no one in the area was doing, so the crowds continued to come out.
Some still refer to me as “The Phantom of Washington’s Crossing.”
The 80s saw a second marriage (1984-2002), three daughters, loads of gear changes, but somehow ... I managed to find 4-5 nights each week to play and sing for my supper. There was also the advent of the Nursing Home jobs ... these were brand new back then, and a great source of income for the full timer who was off during the day. 1 hour job - 4 hour pay … sweet. Add to that about 15-25 weddings, parties and corporate affairs each year, various studio sessions (making CD’s and demos for friends) and you have a professional music career.
2005: I turned 50 (gulp) ... I'm single (again), work is plentiful, but getting stale ... harder to find more than one night in a row in the clubs, and the every night setup/teardown is gettin’ old. One winter day, I get a random phone call from a female singer I worked with in the 80s ... she says "come down to Florida for a few days and we can catch up" .... (big mistake)
3 days in the sun, 2 nights in the hot tub, and I was brainwashed into thinking I actually KNEW this woman enough to be with her. The last time we hung out was when we were 25. Geeeze … what was I thinking?? (I shoulda bought a SPORTS CAR!) The attention was too much for this tired, chubby, lonely old man to handle, and since I still had young(ish) kids ... I didn't want them to see Daddy shacking up with some woman, now known as "The Miami hurricane" ... so (another gulp) I married her. (I know, I know ... shush!)
From that first phone call, till the day I came home to an empty house and a pile of bills after work one night, was SEVEN MONTHS. What a whirlwind lesson in stupidity. There may even be a mark still on my forehead, where the "stupid stick" hit me. My fault for not finding a redhead, I guess. There was ONE redhead in my life up to this point, but that's a whole different story for another time. Those who know me, know that there is still a place in my heart that will never be fully available. Moving on …

2005 was like a Lifetime Movie – I was carjacked, shot at and almost
broke from the left over bills from the "hurricane" ... she left quite an impact on my wallet, but thankfully, my heart is unscathed. Just that silly "S" on my forehead is all that's left. I hope all my furniture is happy in Miami, cuz I'll never see it again. But, I digress ...

The best part is about to happen! I read an ad in a music newsletter for a teacher in my area. "Non traditional school seeks full time, well rounded music teacher for multi-instrumental and vocal classes. WOAH ..... did that have MY NAME on it? Am I ready to finally, set up house in one building and share the many years and stories of the biz with young musicians? I took the plunge and that's where I am today. It's my 8th year as a New Hope teacher, and I still find time to play all summer at my favorite places, I have a few monthly jobs during the school year in local eateries, and the band work, private parties and dances come in with surprising regularity. I help to produce 2 plays and 3 concerts each year too – GREAT FUN!

So, it's 44 years since that $5 graduation party I played on guitar, and after Friday night's job with the Topics (my friend’s band of guys in their 70s and 80s!!)... I feel like I'm just learning the darn instrument! Sigh ... we're never too old to learn, and the thrill of the achievement is SO worth the effort. Sorry I rambled on so long, but I'm avoiding taking the Christmas tree down as I write this ... so many snowmen … so little time …

#384718 - 02/18/14 06:10 AM Re: My Story-A Musical Life [Re: Joesax]
Joesax Offline

Dave:

WOW. That is quite an adventure and would make a pretty good movie. You should write a script.

#384727 - 02/18/14 08:31 AM Re: My Story-A Musical Life [Re: Joesax]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: Joesax
Dave:
You should write a script.

... seems like LIFE has written one for him ...

#384745 - 02/18/14 02:08 PM Re: My Story-A Musical Life [Re: Joesax]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Although I don't come from a musical family, I do come from a family of music lovers. My dad would always play all the great American song book standards and my mom would play a lot of great Latin music. I'm the youngest in the family so I would hear what my brothers and cousins listened to: What we now call classic rock.

As a little kid I fell in love with the drums after seeing all the marching bands at Rose Parade in Pasadena Ca. My parents stared to take me to see Buddy Rich, Tito Puente, Poncho Sanchez, Louie Bellson, and any other noteworthy drummer they could find that was in town. What cool parents!

I eventually got some drums when I was around ten and put on some head phones on and just tried my best to play along to all sorts’ records that were around the house. Rock, big band, symphonic…. I don’t think I had any real natural talent, I must have sounded horrible but my folks NEVER complained. I told you they were great!

I had buddies in middle school that were stating up an original punk rock band. We had a blast jamming. I remember just pounding on those drums tell my hands would bleed! Awful, ugly, loud “music” with screaming for vocals. Even for that style of music, we must have sucked, but we had so much fun! The only place we could play was in my parents garage but the others kids parents could not stand our “music” I’m sure my parents weren’t that into it but they still were supportive.

My dad would look at my bleeding and blistered hands and he would say “ Buddy, Gene, and Louie’s hands never bleed. Maybe you need to learn how hold the sticks” So he sent me to take lessons with this hard core, disciplinarian, drum guru.

All through high school and college (where I majored in music) I played drums and percussion in just about all the ensembles. I think I must have played just about all the styles that you’ll come across in the States. All sorts rock bands, musical theater, symphonic, big band, all sorts Latin and some C&W too.

Playing arranger KB has let me put all my experience to good use. Currently I do mostly solo and a Latin/variety act with my lovely wife of 18 years.

Great thing about music, is there is always something new to learn. I can’t say I’ve mastered any one instrument but here’s what I’ve tried and still work: piano, arranger KB, guitar, voice, harmonica, drums, Latin percussion, symphonic percussion, Mallet percussion. There’s always something to work on!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online