SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#38438 - 04/06/00 06:33 PM Help with Recording on Computer!
agnostic98 Offline

Hey, I'm a beginner electronic musician and desperately needs help... i want to make songs on my computer. i have a poly 800 and cakewalk 7.0. My problem is that midi works fine, I can sequence the notes on cakewalk, but how do I record the actual sounds into my soundcard so when i play back everything's played back off my sound card?! desperate help needed, thanks in advance!

#38439 - 04/10/00 06:51 AM Re: Help with Recording on Computer!
Cinda Private Offline

Okay... first a couple things in terms of introduction...

Unless you have a sound card like the GUS (Gravis Ultra Sound) you do not actually record sounds on the sounds card for playback.

Most sound cards have their own sounds that are burned into the chips on the cards.

IF you want to take a composition and have it recorded, then you will need something that has the ability to record the actuall audio - which does not travel via MIDI.

Go to www.pgmusic.com and take a look at a program called PowerTracks Pro Audio - this will help you out - alot.

#38440 - 04/10/00 07:45 AM Re: Help with Recording on Computer!
Cinda Private Offline

Okay...

First, a quick lesson. All sound cards with the exception of a few have built in sounds that cannot be changed. (Cards like the GUS - Gravis Ultra Sound - can actually have samples stored on them that can be played back using sounds that were not originally on the card.)

All that being said - there is a distinct difference between MIDI and audio. Is sounds like you want to record audio.

For that, you would need something like Cakewalk Pro Audio.

For more information - before you spend several hundred dollars - try www.pgmusic.com - look at a product called PowerTracks.

#38441 - 04/17/00 03:08 PM Re: Help with Recording on Computer!
WS Offline

if you have you midi song recorded (that is what it sounds like)you need to take the audio outs of your synth and route them to your soundcard (the best way to do this is with a mixer). Sounds like you are trying to convert a midi file to a .wav file. Cakewalk is a great program. Set up 2 audio tracks and then hit record. It's very easy.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online