SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 35 of 52 < 1 2 33 34 35 36 37 51 52 >
Topic Options
#384216 - 02/09/14 05:14 PM Re: Damned I hate winter.... [Re: travlin'easy]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Our long term forecast calls for 25-30 cm (10-12 in) of wonderful white coming our way late Thursday.

It sure could make that weekend interesting.

Snow is piled up so much, it will be hard to find a place for it.

Ian

#384220 - 02/09/14 06:29 PM Re: Damned I hate winter.... [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I know exactly how you feel,Ian. When we lived in Spokane we had 100-inches of snow on the ground the first winter we loved there.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#384221 - 02/09/14 06:49 PM Re: Damned I hate winter.... [Re: travlin'easy]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
I know exactly how you feel,Ian. When we lived in Spokane we had 100-inches of snow on the ground the first winter we loved there.

Gary

So it wasn't all bad, Gar...

Ian

PS...this is the worst winter we've had here in at least a decade...a lot of main sidewalks still not plowed from last weeks storm...the public works can't keep up with it.

Most dangerous part is the intersections, where the snow on either side is piled so high, you can't see the cars coming unless you pull out a bit into the road...makes for some interestingly quick exits or reversals, usually accompanied by uniquely expressive hand gestures from oncoming drivers. smile

#384222 - 02/09/14 07:13 PM Re: Damned I hate winter.... [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

typo - should have said lived there. I loved there as well - that's where my daughter was born. It was a beautiful city, one of the most beautiful in the U.S.. But, that first winter was unreal. 100 vertical inches of snow, had to shovel the roof of the house off three times to prevent it from caving in from the weight of the snow. I have some photos from that time of my life, but my scanner is shot and I have no way of scanning them into the PC and posting them.

I drove a 57-Ford Econoline van back then, and had a 10-foot bicycle antenna mounted on the front bumper with a red ribbon on top. Every car in town had the same rig. This was for when we got to an intersection and it let other cars know there was someone coming out. When the snow melted that year, the Spokane River rose 20 feet. A Chinook wind hit sometime in mid March and you could watch the snow melt. It was pretty incredible to see that happen.

The following winter was relatively mild, temperatures rarely went below zero, and the snow was less than three feet. Unfortunately, the economy went to Hell that year, and the following year we returned to Maryland. The only industry there was logging, mining, agriculture, and education. There was, at the time, 7 colleges in that small town of 180,000 people.

I just went out and sprayed the snow blower with furniture wax to prevent the snow from sticking to the chute, which is problem with wet snows. Tomorrow morning ain't gonna be a picnic, but with just 3 inches of snow, I'm not gonna pay $100 for the snow plow guy to come.

Cheers,

Gary cool

#384224 - 02/09/14 07:54 PM Re: Damned I hate winter.... [Re: travlin'easy]
ianmcnll Offline

Good idea with the furniture wax...we used to spray it on our snow shovels, but putting it in the blower's chute is brilliant.

I usually wipe down the door rubbers in the car with WD-40 to keep them from freezing shut, and also put each windshield wiper in a plastic grocery bag so that it doesn't freeze to the glass.I always keep a few in my trunk for just this purpose. I just open a bag up and slide it over the wiper. Wrap it around a little bit with any openings facing downwards and you're done. It may not look elegant but it's better than spending 10 minutes trying to get the wipers off of the windshield and then breaking all the bits of ice off of the wipers

I'm definitely used to cold winter weather and dealing with it, but, as you say, some winters are unreal.

Also a great idea with the antenna on the front bumper.

Where I live, the town of Glace Bay (which means "Ice Bay"), was once called the "Big Town" as it was the biggest town in Canada. Several coal mines, a huge Steel Plant and Coke operation at nearby city of Sydney, a thriving fishing industry...all gone, mainly through political manipulation over the years.

But, the upside, is the town is cleaner and comfortable, and mainly a retirement community, and being retired, it's a nice place for me to live (and love, when I'm lucky...ha ha!)

One thing for sure...our seasonal climates aren't boring.

Ian

#384227 - 02/09/14 08:26 PM Re: Damned I hate winter.... [Re: travlin'easy]
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
Hi Gary. I drove to Havre de Grace this afternoon on a ham radio adventure. There is a 70 cm repeater system in Pa that links 15 repeaters together and you can talk all the way to New York. I wanted to get closer to the repeater which I did and was having an amazing qso with a half dozen guys when I had to bow out because the snowfall was too much to deal with and do something else as well. Oh well, once again, here comes tomorrow.

Joe confused1

#384239 - 02/10/14 07:03 AM Re: Damned I hate winter.... [Re: travlin'easy]
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
It was so cold today in Buffalo that I had to put on a longer pair of shorts. rotf2

JerryGHR

#384250 - 02/10/14 09:06 AM Re: Damned I hate winter.... [Re: travlin'easy]
124 Offline

It's not so much the snow here, it's the bone-chilling temps. My wife and I usually go out for a walk in the morning, but not today. It's -25 right now and was -33 overnight and the windchill was knocking that down a bit farther. I remember when we first came here and seeing the lakes still frozen over in May. Don't ask:)

We've got snow forecast for tomorrow night and the next couple of days, but it won't be in eastern proportions. And we don't get the wet heavy stuff, most of the moisture in it is wrung out by the Rockies. Anyway, it'll warm it up a bit.

#384251 - 02/10/14 09:07 AM Re: Damned I hate winter.... [Re: travlin'easy]
124 Offline

Oh, Ian will know this one, and it'll give you a laugh.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QsxV49pmnL8&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DQsxV49pmnL8

#384252 - 02/10/14 09:15 AM Re: Damned I hate winter.... [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Just got in from clearing the driveway and sidewalk - damned it's cold and damned I'm old! There was just 2 inches of snow on the ground from yesterday, but when your driveway is 300 feet long and all uphill, and today's high is just 29 degrees f, that snow would stay there till spring. Gotta go back to my real job tomorrow, playing music to the ladies. wink

Gary cool

Page 35 of 52 < 1 2 33 34 35 36 37 51 52 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online