Damned I hate winter....

Posted by: travlin'easy

Damned I hate winter.... - 12/10/13 10:25 AM

This morning at 8 a.m. the snow was coming down hard, but by 11 it stopped and changed to sleet. The driveway, which is 300 feet long and up a steep hill to the road was covered with a new layer of 3 inches of wet, slippery, sloppy snow. Just enough to make the roads slippery and too damned dangerous to drive on. Another job lost, but fortunately, rescheduled for later in the week. Now, the 3 inches that fell during the night was on top of the 12 inches we got Sunday - sure makes for a lot of work for an old codger.

Those of you that use a snow blower every winter know what a wet, sloppy snow does - plugs the discharge chute like a frozen cork. Consequently, you spend a lot of time unplugging the chute so you can finish the arduous task before the temperature begins to fall and everything turns to a cake of ice.

The only problem about driving in snow in this part of the world is that if there is any snow at all, the schools close. When that happens, all the high school kids with 4-wheel drive Jeeps hit the snow covered roads to have fun while driving like nut cases. They think it's neat to go busting down the road until they loose control and run into a recently harvested cornfield. "Hey, I have 4-wheel drive - I can drive under any conditions." Yeah - Right!

I was broadsided by one of these individuals several years ago - my cost, $15,000 and the loss of a half-dozen jobs. Yes, I'm fully insured, but as anyone that has been involved in an accident knows, you only get book value for your vehicle - not replacement value. My van was 10 years old, in great shape, and probably would have lasted another 5 years if this idiot kid hadn't nailed me while playing in the snow. So, the insurance company paid me $1,200 for my old van, and I had to purchase a new one, that cost $16,000.

So, my policy is as stated in the past and clearly spelled out in my contract that I send out annually - freezing rain or snow at either end means I'm not gonna go. It's just not worth it.

Yeah, I know there are folks that claim they love the change of seasons and all that stuff, but for me, the only thing white I want to see during the dead of winter is that sugar white sand on the beaches of the Florida Keys. Some white, puffy clouds in a clear, blue sky are OK, too. The only ice I want to see is just enough to keep my Margaretta chilled to 32 degrees and situated in a 12-ounce glass with a little salt around the rim. OH YEAH!

Maybe we can get a Winter Synthzone Jam set up for Marathon Key, Florida for 2015 - sure would be nice.

Cheers,

Gary cool
Posted by: brickboo

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 12/10/13 11:16 AM

Gary, My boat won't sail that far.

We got 6 inches last week and another 3 inches a couple of days later, My driveway is only maybe 60' long. I'm not as rich as you.

Also 90% of the time the snow is mostly dry. We are between -4 and -7 at night and haven't been above the low 20's but once or twice and we won't get above freezing for some days to come. When it's this bad in December, usually January and February are more tamed with less snow.
Posted by: Gunnar Jonny

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 12/10/13 11:39 AM

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy

...Yeah, I know there are folks that claim they love the change of seasons and all that stuff...

Here in Norway we mostly have two seasons during the year, the white winter and the green winter! sick

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 12/10/13 11:44 AM

Jonny, which do you do best? Play the keyboard or ski? LOL

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 12/10/13 11:53 AM

I was in Oslo when I was a kid in the Navy - it was freezing cold there in early June. Went to Copenhagen a couple weeks later, it was a little warmer, the ladies were beautiful and I didn't want to leave. Unfortunately, the Navy had some nasty regulations about jumping ship so we left there and went to Hamburg for a couple weeks. I would have rather stayed longer in Oslo or Copenhagen, but I wouldn't want to be at either location when winter arrived.

Cheers,

Gary cool
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 12/10/13 01:31 PM

Copenhagen is cool in summer, but rather mild in winter, averaging around 0C/32F. And the west coast of Norway is even milder due to the Gulf stream, Bergen has an average of 2C / 36F in January, very different to Oslo and warmer than NYC although it's so far north. But the flip side again: no real summer...
We still haven't had any snow yet here in the western part of Germany, and I haven't missed it yet.

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 12/10/13 04:40 PM

@Gunnar Jonny: BTW, I didn't believe it one or two weeks ago when I saw on my favourite weather site that Oslo had an afternoon temperature of 14 C (57F), while at the same time some mediterranean locations like ROME had 7 C (45F) and some places in Southern Germany were even below freezing. Really upside down conditions, but it didn't last long of course...

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 12/11/13 08:16 AM

Originally Posted By: brickboo
Jonny, which do you do best? Play the keyboard or ski? LOL

Hehe, I really do hope I'm a bit better at the keyboard than skiing.
If not so, I feel bad for the pain of those ears who are unlucky enogh to hear me act like playng. laugh sofa

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 12/11/13 08:20 AM

...... the ladies were beautiful and I didn't want to leave....

You know Gary, it's our beautiful ladies who keep us warm, not only when snow and ice rules, but also during the green winter to make us forget the bad weather conditions. wink
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 12/11/13 09:45 AM

Originally Posted By: rosetree
Bergen has an average of 2C / 36F in January, very different to Oslo and warmer than NYC although it's so far north.

FWIW ... the average temp in NYC in January actually ranges between 36F and 39F depending on the source ... December and February are warmer ... smile

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 12/11/13 11:00 AM

Originally Posted By: tony mads usa
Bergen has an average of 2C / 36F in January, very different to Oslo and warmer than NYC although it's so far north.

FWIW ... the average temp in NYC in January actually ranges between 36F and 39F depending on the source ... December and February are warmer ... smile

So, about the same January average for two locations which have a north-south difference of 20 degrees of latitude or 1,500 miles. (BTW, the US averages used to be calculated differently in the past, resulting in higher values compared to the European standards, (max+min)/2 versus (temp.at 3 times per day)/3. FWIW ;-) )

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 12/11/13 05:36 PM

Tony, most of the time it's warmer in NYC during winter than it is here, and I'm 285 miles south of NYC. I think it may have something to do with the heat emitted from the buildings and underground steam pipes.

Gunner, I firmly believe if it were not for the ladies, most of us would soon be out of business. It's the ladies I dress up fancy for, the ladies I sing to, and mostly ladies that provide the biggest tips. They guys could care less, especially if there's a sporting event on the big screen TV at the bar.

Cheers,

Gary cool

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 12/12/13 04:02 AM

Maybe you are not as close to the waterfront compared to NYC? That's a huge factor in winter. The official stations are normally not located downtown to avoid urban microclimate, I guess for NY you mostly get JFK airport measurements (taken above a grass field or course).

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 12/12/13 07:05 AM

Just found a great map with many weather stations for NYC and anywhere:
http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/
Just type in NYC, there are lots of stations (although some private and not necessarily all accurate). The one in Central Park is an official one, but it's colder than JFK airport at the moment. (Sorry, I don't want to turn this into a weather forum).
Posted by: Dnj

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 12/12/13 07:10 AM

Just found a great map with many weather stations for NYC and anywhere:
Just type in NYC, there are lots of stations (although some private and not necessarily all accurate). The one in Central Park is an official one, but it's colder than JFK airport at the moment. (Sorry, I don't want to turn this into a weather forum).

best part is the active radar map....
Posted by: 124

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 12/12/13 08:05 AM

Here's the one I use.
http://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/ab-50_metric_e.html

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 12/12/13 09:03 AM

Another fun day in Paradise. Today's high is 30f, tonight it should dip to 12f and I'm just heading out to do the first of today's double. Snow due on Saturday, which I hope holds off till late in the day.

Stay warm everyone,

Gary cool

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 12/12/13 09:16 AM

I hear ya, Gar ... just a single for me today, but not 'til later this afternoon ... temp here in Li'l Rhody is a balmy 25F with a 'soft breeze' that has it feeling like 13F ... tonight's low about 14F ...
Being an 'older' OMB ain't for wimps !!! ...

Keep spreading that Christmas cheer ... rocker

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 12/13/13 04:45 PM

The weather doodles are calling for about 4 inches of wet snow in my area, followed by freezing rain, sleet, and finally rain with a high temperature of 38 degrees. Looks like I'll loose another job to the weather. Glad the bar is fully stocked. wink

Gary cool

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 12/13/13 04:47 PM

The weather doodles are calling for about 4 inches of wet snow in my area, followed by freezing rain, sleet, and finally rain with a high temperature of 38 degrees. Looks like I'll loose another job to the weather. Glad the bar is fully stocked. wink

Gary cool

I lost one last Sunday due to the Snow, we rescheduled,all part of the game Gary wink ......but, I enjoyed the football games lol.. cool2
Posted by: Uncle Dave

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 12/14/13 08:33 AM

I'm ready to trudge out in this potential winter wonderland in a few hours for a cushy country club affair. C'mon, Gary .... you lived in this area for a long time - this is what happens here!
smile
I could never live in a one season climate - I needs me some change!
Plus, when would I get to wear my soft, leather/cashmere gloves from Men's Wearhouse?
Suck it up - pay a teenager to shovel that monster driveway of yours, leave a little earlier, drive a little slower, dress warmly and enjoy the view!

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 12/14/13 09:05 AM

Dave, about three years ago, we paid some teenagers to clear the driveway. They had two snow blowers, some shovels and were all about 17 years old. They went home with $150. They have some nice seasonal changes in the Florida Keys, Temperatures sometimes dip as low as 50 during mid January, but quickly come back to 75, Summer usually gets into the 80s, sometimes the 90s, just like here, but those ocean breezes and beautiful sunsets make the hotter days a lot cooler. I love the shad of the coconut palms, dips in the turquoise colored waters with 30-foot underwater visibility, and catching a fat grouper for dinner. Can't find any of that in the mid-Atlantic region. Wait till you get old, like me and those sugar white, sandy beaches will have a lot more attraction to you, Dave.

Cheers,

Gary cool

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 12/14/13 09:08 AM

Originally Posted By: Uncle Dave
I'm ready to trudge out in this potential winter wonderland in a few hours for a cushy country club affair. C'mon, Gary .... you lived in this area for a long time - this is what happens here!
smile
I could never live in a one season climate - I needs me some change!
Plus, when would I get to wear my soft, leather/cashmere gloves from Men's Wearhouse?
Suck it up - pay a teenager to shovel that monster driveway of yours, leave a little earlier, drive a little slower, dress warmly and enjoy the view!

clap clap clap

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 12/14/13 09:41 AM

Wait till you get old, like me and those sugar white, sandy beaches will have a lot more attraction to you, Dave.

I seriously doubt it Gary ... I am always the one who wants the A/C colder and the windows open ... I carry blankets in mycar so my kids can travel with me! I am a cold weather boy, for sure. I love my pool (as long as I have shade), I like to visit the beach, and I love playing for the vacationers at the shore, but LIVE there ??? No thank you ... not now, and not when I'm old like you either.
smile

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 12/14/13 09:46 AM

[quote=travlin'easy] Wait till you get old, like me and those sugar white, sandy beaches will have a lot more attraction to you, Dave.

Gary attraction is one thing, if thats your dream.. making the move permanently is the hurdle if at all,.....life is TOO short to dilly dally! wink
Posted by: DonM

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 12/14/13 01:37 PM

Gary's leash is too short.

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 12/14/13 02:13 PM

Originally Posted By: DonM
Gary's leash is too short.

OUCH!!! coffee

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 12/14/13 02:37 PM

Don is right about that part, though I told her if I'm still breathing in 2015 I'm putting the sails up again and pointing the bow of the boat south till the temperature and my age are equal. Maybe she'll fly down and join me this time.

Today, I performed for the first time at an upscale assisted living facility next door to Bulle Rock Country Club and Golf Course. It's brand, spankin new, beautiful decor inside and outside, and the residents had a ball. Unfortunately none could get up and dance because of their physical impairments, but he visitors did, which made things a bit more lively. Additionally, the daughters of one of the ladies there came to visit, and while I was singing Unforgetable she came up and put her arms around me and sang the song with me. She had a great voice, and I enjoyed the attention.

About halfway through the performance, the snow began to fall, and at times looked like a full scale blizzard outside. When I left to come home the snow was a couple inches deep, and mixed with freezing rain. So, until tomorrow, the keyboard will remain snuggled in the confines of the van. Thus far, this year, we've had 17 inches of snow, and the worst months, January, February and March are still ahead of us. I think it's gonna be a nasty winter here in the People's Republic of Maryland.

Gary cool

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 12/14/13 07:40 PM

Thank goodness for global warming, or we'd be all frozen to death by now.

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 12/14/13 09:31 PM

Don, Are you being sarcastic again and referring to the fear mongers about "Global Warming" as a bunch of nuts with a few loose screws?

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 12/14/13 10:31 PM

Not me. I'm too old to worry about it anyway!

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 12/18/13 05:53 AM

So much for winter in Central Europe: yesterday the station of Hohenpeißenberg near the Alps in Bavaria (elevation 986m or about 3200 feet) had 60 degrees F. Christmas will be windy and mild.

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 12/18/13 10:07 AM

Winter is nice here in north Louisiana today. High will be in mid 70s. Time for some golf!
Posted by: ianmcnll

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 12/18/13 10:42 AM

View from my window...been snowing the past few days...might turn to rain...that'll be a mess.

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 12/18/13 01:17 PM

Winter is nice here in north Louisiana today. High will be in mid 70s. Time for some golf!

Good thing ... hate to see you guys drive in SNOW !!!

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/12/...in-america?lite

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 12/18/13 01:31 PM

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
View from my window...been snowing the past few days...might turn to rain...that'll be a mess.

Yep, looks a lot like the view out of my window, too. Hey, we're in the Great White North after all. Time to warm up the rum and ginger wine I reckon.

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 12/18/13 01:33 PM

We do not drive in snow. Sometimes they close schools and businesses if it is even in the forecast! smile

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 12/18/13 02:08 PM

Tonight the temperature will drip to 20 degrees f, tomorrow's high is 38, but forecast is for 70 by Sunday - G0 Ravens!

Gary cool

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 12/18/13 02:58 PM

From freezing to 70 in a few days... how do you stand these rollercoaster changes? Too much for Central Europeans, most of us would get a circulatory collapse (except the Bavarians maybe, as they're used to foehn winds...)
Posted by: Dreamer

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 12/19/13 01:33 AM

From freezing to 70 in a few days... how do you stand these rollercoaster changes? Too much for Central Europeans, most of us would get a circulatory collapse (except the Bavarians maybe, as they're used to foehn winds...)

The beer helps too...

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 12/19/13 06:17 AM

Originally Posted By: Dreamer

The beer helps too...

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 12/19/13 06:39 AM

... so THAT'S how they get those big 'pec' muscles ... surprised

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 12/19/13 07:47 AM

... so THAT'S how they get those big 'pec' muscles ... surprised

No kidding...

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 12/19/13 07:51 AM

Where did I go wrong? I knew I should have headed that boat south in early October - I might be divorced by now, but at least I would be warmer, and of course, the gals would be wearing less. wink

Gary cool

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 12/19/13 08:40 AM

I wouldn't want to be on the streets or highway after one of these parties.....do you need a designated driver in Germany? surprised

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 12/19/13 12:09 PM

That's not familiar as a concept in Germany. It's up to the individual driver to drink no more than 1 beer (well, a Bavarian Mass might already be too much...) or to have someone sober who drives back, but nobody will ask. But I'm sure police are very strict especially during Oktoberfest season.
BTW, your picture is from the Hippodrom, I guess, it's not the biggest tent of Oktoberfest, 3,300 seats. (Edit: just checked, the Hacker Pschorr tent has 7,000 seats.)
http://www.hippodrom-oktoberfest.de/en/

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 12/19/13 12:58 PM

If they wanna kill themselves that's fine,.... but when innocent people die because of it that is plainly NOT acceptable and the driver should be held liable and incarcerated to the fullest extent of the law. I see people drinking bottles of wine at dinner in restaurants all the time .......if the police stay outside any bar in the world...when someone comes out gets in their car to drive I would say 99% are above the LEGAL limit.

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 12/19/13 02:46 PM

I often wonder what one has to drink to be over the legal limit ???
Donny, it used to be far worse years ago ... at every wedding or party there would be a bottle of rye whiskey and a bottle of scotch on every table ... I remember playing one New Year's Eve where the price of dinner for each couple included a bottle of your choice of liquor - so at a table of 8 people there were 4 bottles of liquor!!! drink

... meanwhile, back to those 'pec' muscles ... thank you, Andrea ...

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 12/19/13 03:08 PM

They have lowered it so much that one good drink puts you over unless you wait a few hours. I may have a glass of champagne New Year's Eve, but really don't drink at all, so I'm always the DD.
My wife and my boys have all called me at one time or another to come to a restaurant or party and get them because they are afraid to chance it, even though none of the drink to excess.

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 12/20/13 12:49 AM

... meanwhile, back to those 'pec' muscles ... thank you, Andrea ...

You are welcome.

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 12/21/13 02:01 PM

Coming back to the winter topic: this is where I like snow: picture of the Christmas market in my city (Dortmund), the biggest of its kind in Germany. The tree is composed of over 1000 single spruces and is 45 metres (150 ft) tall.

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 12/21/13 08:06 PM

Temperature here tomorrow about 70, but down to 30 by Monday.

Gary

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 12/22/13 02:24 PM

I got a "board rule reminder" asking that I should just post music-related things. In fact I was just active in this thread, which doesn't seem to deal with music mainly and which wasn't created by me. So am I the only one who got this reminder?
@administrator: Please feel free to erase my last post with the attached picture here.

Just to risk another board rule reminder: Today I saw the temperatures in New York state varied from the upper 60s in the south to the lower 20s in the north of the state. Dramatic differences!

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 12/22/13 02:57 PM

I got one too.

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 12/22/13 03:08 PM

Well, this thread is about the business side of music. If the weather's too nasty, snow, freezing rain, guess what? Most of us will not be making a living as musician/entertainers that particular day. So, it IS music related.

Gary cool

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 12/22/13 07:51 PM

I got one too.

ditto ... but not sure what caused it ... confused1

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 12/22/13 09:03 PM

Maybe everybody got one?

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 12/22/13 11:37 PM

I didn't get one...and I agree with Gary; this thread could be related to music as bad weather always makes our playing jobs a lot harder.

I'm very glad to be sittin' this winter out...we have had four fairly big snow storms in the past several days.

The retail and grocery stores are sheer madness, as a few pre-Christmas shopping days were lost due to the weather, and quite a few functions like Christmas concerts and staff parties were cancelled.

Usually we don't see a lot of snow until January, but it's arrived early this year, and caught the snow removal people unprepared, making things even worse.

Ian
Posted by: Nigel

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 12/22/13 11:52 PM

I got a "board rule reminder" asking that I should just post music-related things.

Huh ??? What is that ??? .... it's certainly not from the forum software .... it doesn't care what you chat about whether it's about music or shoveling s***

Did another forum member message you? If so ... just ignore them. But next time it happens take a "screenshot" using the Print Scrn key, paste into a paint program and save ... and send it to me to see.

While the forums are all music related ... the occasional OT thread related to something that is affecting a musician's life is always allowed.

Posted by: big741.1

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 12/23/13 05:56 AM

I got one too.

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 12/23/13 05:59 AM

It wasn't a message stored in my message folder, but only appeared once directly after logging in. I had to click a confirm button to proceed to the normal screen, as far as I remember.

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 12/23/13 07:47 AM

Same here. couldn't bypass the screen - had to click OK and agree to terms.

Gary cool

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 12/23/13 08:02 AM

yes, same thing on my phone ... haven't seen it since ...

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 12/23/13 08:04 AM

I tried logging off, and then back on again, but nothing unusual.

Very strange, indeed.

Ian
Posted by: Diki

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 12/23/13 02:27 PM

I think it is overall SZ admin stuff. Maybe there's a timer on the AUP agreements that needs renewing.

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/02/14 06:06 PM

... 10 to 14 inches of snow expected in RI and tomorrow's temps are forecast to be a high of 15 and a low of -3 ... looks like a good couple of days of keyboard practice coming up ... keys singer rocker
Be careful out there ...

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/02/14 06:58 PM

3 - 6 Here tonight. Sure wish I were in the Keys right now!

Gary cool

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/02/14 07:04 PM

Mmmmmm ... smell that crisp, clean, winter air! Just finished shoveling 3-4 inches off the drive and car .... when I wake up - there will probably be another 3-4 waiting for me. Looks like my school kiddies get another break. Geeze! We'll be in school till mid June at this point! (bragging, I know ... we get out earlier than everybody up here!)
Bundle up, Gary ...
smile

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/02/14 09:18 PM

We got another blizzard scheduled for tonight and tomorrow...getting 30 cm of snow is bad enough, but nearly zero visibility means very little moving about...including emergency vehicles and power line repair trucks. I made an extra trip for groceries so I'm stocked up with all the essentials.

Hopefully we will not lose electricity...looking at -25 C temperatures, so it will be colder than a mother-in-law's kiss out there.

As Tony said above, it looks like a few days keyboard practice coming up...unless we lose power...then it will be the ancient, but well maintained, upright piano down in our main lounge, which has an emergency generator so we can at least make a pot of tea.

One of the really good perks about living in this new apartment complex, is snow removal is done by someone else...and is free!

Ian

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/02/14 10:02 PM

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/02/14 10:42 PM

Ian, I just got back from Shediac yesterday - dodged a bullet, eh? Not really. Edm is freezing rain and now 10cm of the white stuff is going to sit on top of that. Should be fun on the roads tomorrow. wink

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/03/14 12:14 AM

35ºF here in Florida...

Brrrrrrr....! I might have to put my heater on...

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/03/14 01:18 AM

Originally Posted By: 124
Ian, I just got back from Shediac yesterday - dodged a bullet, eh? Not really. Edm is freezing rain and now 10cm of the white stuff is going to sit on top of that. Should be fun on the roads tomorrow. wink

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/03/14 01:43 AM

Originally Posted By: Diki
35ºF here in Florida...

Brrrrrrr....! I might have to put my heater on...

Florida...where else can you put up Christmas decorations in shorts?

Some people simply love seeing their palm tree wrapped in Christmas lights at night.

Ian
Posted by: cgiles

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/03/14 03:58 AM

Just recently bought a spanking new diesel motorhome so wifey and I will be heading south next week to Tampa, Sarasota, Marco Island, and Key West, then back up the east coast (of Florida) to visit friends in St Augustine and then home. It's 21F outside at the moment so can't wait. Never should have left Hawaii (or Florida).

chas

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/03/14 06:43 AM

It's Antarctica outside this morning....
we got slammed down the shore last nite.....
trucks haven't even plowed the streets yet!! Grrrr! mad

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/03/14 07:23 AM

You are being battered with one winter period after the other in North America, while we still haven't even had one inch of snow yet in the north-west of Germany. The ski-lift operators in the medium-range mountains nearby are beginning to worry about going bankrupt, I guess, it's too warm to produce artificial snow even in 2,600 feet altitude. See webcam pic from those mountains:

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/03/14 08:01 AM

Originally Posted By: Dnj

I read about the hard and cold winter in some areas of the USA and elsewhere, but at snow level as low as in that picture, they don't bother plow at all here. wink

I'm really happy that all snow coming down here at the moment are "ready showelled", and that it is downhill from our house down to the fjord. laugh
But, it's still only January, a couple of months to go until spring is here......

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/03/14 08:08 AM

hahah...last night was 10" here but last year,? ....wellll,...look at the picture!!! wink

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/03/14 08:13 AM

What a lucky guy, it's sunshine!!!

Have'nt seen the sun for weeks, if not months. Only a lot of wind and water pouring down, even if it is wintertime.
Well, at least the calendar say so....

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/03/14 08:51 AM

Donny ... the street in that photo looks pretty plowed to me !!! laugh2

We got lucky ... only 8 inches ... but it is 9 degrees at almost noon ... ain't gonna git much warmer !!! ...

Street's plowed, driveway's plowed, time to go out and get the snow off the vehicles ...

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/03/14 08:53 AM

rosetree ... that's too bad ... those people rely on that snow for their livelihood ...

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/03/14 09:00 AM

Donny ... the street in that photo looks pretty plowed to me !!! laugh2

We got lucky ... only 8 inches ... but it is 9 degrees at almost noon ... ain't gonna git much warmer !!! ...

Street's plowed, driveway's plowed, time to go out and get the snow off the vehicles ...

Tony we only got 8-10" around here this time....light plowing but roads are derivable with my 4x4's now.....main roads are better now too.. stay safe Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/03/14 09:15 AM

Originally Posted By: cgiles
Just recently bought a spanking new diesel motorhome so wifey and I will be heading south next week to Tampa, Sarasota, Marco Island, and Key West, then back up the east coast (of Florida) to visit friends in St Augustine and then home. It's 21F outside at the moment so can't wait. Never should have left Hawaii (or Florida).
chas

chas ... that sounds like a great trip ... enjoy ...
When in Sarasota visit the Sarasota Opera House ... the artistic director is a cousin of mine ...
http://www.sarasotaopera.org/about/artistic_director.aspx
just tell him you know cousin Tony from Staten Island who first taught him how to play a musical instrument ...

Don't forget to tell us about your travels ...

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/03/14 09:16 AM

Consider yourselves lucky, all of you... here is a view from my house, this morning.

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/03/14 09:20 AM

rotfl rotf2 ...
That weather in Rome must have changed in a hurry, seeing as it was 56F/13C at 6PM your time ...
laugh2

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/03/14 09:25 AM

Andrea, that looks like a picture of all the Synthzone members with Chas on the extreme right side. smile

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/03/14 09:43 AM

Behave, Don.

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/03/14 09:44 AM

It's too cold to play golf. High today 47. It's still 35 right now. Nice and sunny though.

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/03/14 10:09 AM

It's up to 28 here now, but it was 12 degrees f when I rolled out to start moving snow. We got about 6 inches, but 30 MPH winds piled it up pretty good in spots, a couple feet maybe in the drifts. Then the snow blower broke down, and this old man had to shovel 160 feet of sidewalk by hand. I'm definitely too old for this $hit! How do you like that cold weather now, Donny? Yeah, right! wink

Gary cool

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/03/14 10:33 AM

It's up to 28 here now, but it was 12 degrees f when I rolled out to start moving snow. We got about 6 inches, but 30 MPH winds piled it up pretty good in spots, a couple feet maybe in the drifts. Then the snow blower broke down, and this old man had to shovel 160 feet of sidewalk by hand. I'm definitely too old for this $hit! How do you like that cold weather now, Donny? Yeah, right! wink

Gary cool

I Love it Gary...sittin here enjoying a hot cocoa watching
new movies, playing my S-950, soon gonna make some stuffed burgers in a bit,...it's all good. probably hit the Casinos in AC over the weekend too...life is good! cool2

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/03/14 10:36 AM

... and this old man had to shovel 160 feet of sidewalk by hand. I'm definitely too old for this $hit!
Gary cool

Gary ... like it or not you DEFINITELY ARE too old for this ...
Don't do any more at least until you see the pulmonary and cardio guys ...

I just got back in from clearing the snow off the vehicles ... I have a guy plow the driveway ... while I was out there a neighbor came by with his snow blower and cleaned up around the mailbox ... he then asked me to move the vehicles and he cleaned the spots the plow couldn't get to ... He's a real nice guy, a good 10+ years younger than I am ... I'll have to make him and his wife some of my Tiramisu and bring them a bottle of nice Chardonnay ... two of their favorite things ...

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/03/14 10:39 AM

... and this old man had to shovel 160 feet of sidewalk by hand. I'm definitely too old for this $hit!
Gary cool

Gary ... like it or not you DEFINITELY ARE too old for this ...
Don't do any more at least until you see the pulmonary and cardio guys ...

Gary..no body like a dead hero......pay someone to do it & shovel in the long run its a better deal then taking a risk with your health. Kids are knocking on doors to make money all day long..or call any landscaping guys they love plowing this..

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/03/14 10:48 AM

Get out there and shovel Gary. Can I have your stuff when you die? smile

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/03/14 10:48 AM

Donny, the kids around here don't shovel snow, mow lawns, rake leaves, none of the stuff we did as kids. They sit around and play video games and take selfies of lower body parts with the I-phone cameras and post them on facebook. Only old people work - I should know.

Gary cool

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/03/14 11:23 AM

Andrea, that looks like a picture of all the Synthzone members with Chas on the extreme right side. smile

smile smile smile smile

chas

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/03/14 03:07 PM

Don, You don't a body of water large enough for the boat, unless you take it down the Red River. wink You can have all the other stuff, though - including Carol.

Gary cool

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/03/14 03:09 PM

Deals off!

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/04/14 07:05 AM

Some desperate skiers are keeping up business for one of the Westphalian ski-lifts today:
Posted by: Duane O

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/04/14 01:16 PM

It took me 40 years to figure out that I didn't like Chicago winters, but the past 25 years in California have been great. 66 degrees today, with a low of 41 tonight.

Duane

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/04/14 02:29 PM

It's 19 outside right now, the snow blower blew a belt for the auger drive and I can't get one till Monday, tomorrow's forecast is for freezing rain, sleet and snow, Monday's is about the same. The weather sucks in The People's Republic of Maryland. I gotta' get out of this place, it it's the last thing I ever do. Must be a song there somewhere. wink

Gary cool

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/04/14 02:52 PM

Just don't go trying to 'move' any of that stuff tomorrow ... we like you just the way you are ... must be a song somewhere in there too ... laugh2
Head up north, Gary... it's 25 right now and tomorrow will be 40 and a balmy 50 on Monday, with rain ... of course Tuesday it will be back down to 17 with a chance of snow ...
Gotta LOVE New England weather ... dancers

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/04/14 03:16 PM

Duane,
I grew up in Connecticut and worked there until my retirement in 1984. In 1989 we moved to Florida and have enjoyed the warmth and sun of Florida ever since. The winters there were miserable
an how I managed to live there for so long is unbelieveable .
Lloyd

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/06/14 11:35 AM

Congratulations to the US record low of -36F in Minnesota. In contrast, the upper Rhine valley will reach 59F again tomorrow. But they say next week we in Central Europe might be in for continental polar air for the first time this winter, with air coming from Russia. If this happens, I'll refresh my Dixie version of 'Midnight in Moscow'...

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/06/14 01:53 PM

Looking forward to hearing that rendition, Rosetree.

Cheers,

Gary cool

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/06/14 02:35 PM

Looking forward to hearing that rendition, Rosetree.

Cheers,

Gary cool

Here's an extract of Midnight in Moscow I recorded on the BK-7m in 2012 by using 2 to 3 record tracks (only the last part of the file, before it's Santana and Cantaloop):
https://soundcloud.com/rorosetree/demo-bits-roland-bk-7m-yamaha

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/06/14 02:47 PM

Love it! Very creative.

Gary cool

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/06/14 03:18 PM

Thanks. I like dixieland. Unfortunately, you could never play something like this completely live, with the simultaneous improvisation of clarinet, trombone and trumpet. (Unless you have four hands, two split keyboards and a multitasking brain.)

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/06/14 08:35 PM

Or you could study your Bach Four Part Inventions and Fugues...!
Posted by: Songman55

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/06/14 10:13 PM

Or not!

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/06/14 10:46 PM

Something to work on for the new year... wink

"String Quartet No. 556(b)
for Strings In A Minor (Motoring Accident)"

It comes with helpful advice: "if arm falls off, re-attach and play much slower",
"shock therapy may be necessary to finish"...

Don't forget to "leap over cellist", and make "glissando using tip of nose".

Also, notice the fine print: "Really big notes do not exist", and the 23/4 measure (officially unplayable)

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/06/14 11:35 PM

Here's an extract of Midnight in Moscow I recorded on the BK-7m in 2012 by using 2 to 3 record tracks (only the last part of the file, before it's Santana and Cantaloop):

Something tells me that you have this LP wink :

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/07/14 04:50 AM

No, I really don't. I just heard a dixie version of Midnight in Moscow several times as a child, my father had it in some collection LP, so maybe it was the same version. But I didn't listen to any version when I played this, it was by 'dixie feeling'. So I'm quite sure the improvisations of clarinet and trombone cannot be identical to any original. But certainly I had the idea of this song as a dixie in mind from havinv heard it as a child ;-)

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/07/14 04:58 AM

Originally Posted By: Diki
Or you could study your Bach Four Part Inventions and Fugues...!

I play the church organ. Bach fugues including foot pedal are really a hard coordination training... It took me about a year to get the left hand independently move from the feet when I took the first lessons in 1985... But still, dixie with three improvising parts - no way.

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/07/14 05:30 AM

keys

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/07/14 05:40 AM

No, I really don't. I just heard a dixie version of Midnight in Moscow several times as a child, my father had it in some collection LP, so maybe it was the same version. But I didn't listen to any version when I played this, it was by 'dixie feeling'. So I'm quite sure the improvisations of clarinet and trombone cannot be identical to any original. But certainly I had the idea of this song as a dixie in mind from havinv heard it as a child ;-)

OK; have a listen to this song and then tell me if it's the same LP your father had (...I am kind of embarassed now, because I still have this LP... blush )

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/07/14 05:46 AM

Actually, now that I have heard the song again I am kind of nostalgia-struck, and think that it would be a lot of fun to record this song, doing all the improvisations, countermelodies, etc, in sync... You learn a lot of things in the process.

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/07/14 05:49 AM

Why embarrassed? I'm almost sure that it is the same version I heard as a child, especially the ending phrase sounds very familiar. Maybe I can check my father's collections in a few days, I guess it was an LP of various artists from the 1960s or 70s.

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/07/14 08:22 AM

I think Kenny Ball scored a No. 1 hit with that. About 1962?

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/07/14 02:26 PM

http://www.ktbs.com/story/24385572/dog-in-east-texas-freezes-to-death-owner-charged

Those of us in areas that aren't normally this cold should be aware that our pets and wives left out in the cold may be in real danger.

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/07/14 02:37 PM

I had a 12-noon doctors visit today at a location about 45 minutes drive away. When I left the house it was 6 degrees and when I got home about 2 the temperature had soared up to 12 degrees f. Damned I'm cold.

Gary cool

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/07/14 02:39 PM

http://www.ktbs.com/story/24385572/dog-in-east-texas-freezes-to-death-owner-charged

Those of us in areas that aren't normally this cold should be aware that our pets and wives left out in the cold may be in real danger.

...Damn! I had almost forgotten...

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/07/14 02:41 PM

I don't care what you think, that's funny!

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/07/14 04:01 PM

Under those conditions she might survive...

The chances for real winter in Germany are still low, next week the Russian air will probably only brush the northeast north of Berlin, which is 350 miles away from me.

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/07/14 04:10 PM

keys

Donny, the temps in your neck of the woods seem pretty cosy compared with Chicago and Minneapolis.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-25638881

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/08/14 12:59 AM

The chances for real winter in Germany are still low, next week the Russian air will probably only brush the northeast north of Berlin, which is 350 miles away from me.

... so it will be business as usual in the Westfalenstadion?

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/08/14 05:51 AM

Yes, although I'm not a football fan (which almost makes me an alien in Dortmund), for the moment no match has to be cancelled. BUT: Situation has changed, I don't like this newest forecast: the Moscow air WILL get to us next week, and everybody is spoilt be mild temperatures for months over here... and it looks it might even cool down somewhat in ROME...

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/08/14 06:20 AM

keys

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/08/14 06:39 AM

Those are Fahrenheit degrees; translated to Celsius they go from - 18 (Monticello) to -10 (Montauk).
Stay put, guys...

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/08/14 07:21 AM

This morning, here in The People's Republic of Maryland, the temperature is 12 degrees f. By this afternoon, it will be a balmy 22 degrees f. But by next Monday, the forecast is for 55 degrees f. Keep in mind, the winter is still quite young this time of year. Sure glad Donny DNJ) got his wish for cold weather and as much as he says he enjoys the cold, I suspect he's polar bearing right now somewhere near Coney Island. wink

Gary cool

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/08/14 07:31 AM

That pic looks more like polar baring, rather than polar bearing. laugh

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/08/14 07:32 AM

smile

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/08/14 07:44 AM

Different strokes...
here is how some people celebrate the New Year in Rome:
what's better, the first of January, than jumping head first into the Tevere river from one of its bridges?

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/08/14 11:05 AM

eek2

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/08/14 11:29 AM

... that is BRITTLE cold ... WOW ... I thought I had it bad yesterday when the windows wouldn't go down until the temp rose in the car ...

BTW ... you guys are STILL leaving your KBs out in this weather ... sincerely, I wish you the best ...

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/08/14 11:36 AM

Not leaving mine in the car, Tony, not even in the attached garage. It comes back into the house every time. My LCD screen is no fan of the cold.

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/08/14 11:39 AM

Different strokes...
here is how some people celebrate the New Year in Rome:
what's better, the first of January, than jumping head first into the Tevere river from one of its bridges?

Better do it in January although nippy, as I guess in August it might be suicide when the Tibero has shallow water level:/)

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/08/14 11:39 AM

I NEVER leave mine in the car ... now I realize that I am extremely fortunate that my garage leads directly to the downstairs family room, but even when I lived in 'not so convenient' homes, I didn't leave the gear out ... and that includes the days I played a Fender Rhodes 73 !!! ...

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/08/14 12:17 PM

I brought mine in before the cold front came through. Normally. I
Am too busy to take the gear out of the van.

Gary

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/08/14 12:52 PM

eek2 WTF!!!

Even air bubbles freeze ...
http://www.today.com/id/53963638

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/08/14 12:55 PM

Nature is a beautiful thing, eh?

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/08/14 02:04 PM

Delaware River ice jams cause flooding in Trenton NJ, flash flood watch issued upstream........... surprised

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/08/14 03:24 PM

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/08/14 04:35 PM

62F in Munich yesterday! The Russian air will be a total shock next week...

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/08/14 05:31 PM

eek2

Funny ... above the picture reads "attachments" .... hahahahaha NOT!

Hmmmm - I thought I replied to the pic of the "DE"tached handle.

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/09/14 04:46 AM

HEAT WAVE TODAY !!!! dance2

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/09/14 05:02 AM

HEAT WAVE TODAY !!!! dance2

No kidding... time to turn the AC on...

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/09/14 06:14 AM

Email from a friend in Perth, Australia this morning telling me they"ll be at 43C today. Think I'd take a pass on that.

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/11/14 09:53 AM

WHOA !!! 109 degrees F ... whew ...

Today the temp in L'il Rhody is in the 50'sF, compared to freezing yesterday, so I've added "What a Difference A Day Made" to the playlist for today's gig... grin

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/11/14 09:57 AM

Back into the 70s here today in North Louisiana.

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/11/14 10:39 AM

It has been raining here for three days, began with freezing rain, some sleet and snow a couple days ago, now it's 50 degrees and has been pouring all night and into today. Good day to record and learn some new songs.

Gary cool

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/11/14 11:43 AM

Sadly, the forecasts for cold Russian air flowing in to Germany has been completely revoked, it won't get farther west than Hamburg and Berlin. This means the misery for the ski-lift owners in the medium-range mountains will go on.

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/21/14 05:49 AM

Today: The first tiny bit of snow for this whole winter...

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/21/14 06:41 AM

12"+ on its way here now we gonna get slammed today YIKES!!

12"+ for NENJ. expecting the rest of the state (CNJ and SNJ) to get hit hardest. Areas between the I-95 corridor and the coast have a real chance at getting crushed. 12-24 is possible should any areas of heavy banding set up over one location for a prolonged amount of time (very possible with this). There should be many 12+ measurements come Wednesday morning in those areas. I suppose extreme SENJ could have slightly less if it's too far SE of the heaviest snow axis. Maybe just 6-12 there. It's going to be a dynamic situation during live-casting so we won't know where the jackpot is until during the storm. This should give you a general guideline going into it though.

Timing: Arrives between 10AM and noon today from west to east then intensifies between 6PM and midnight. It should clear out by sunrise tomorrow morning.

Temperatures: Winds will be whipping around later tonight/overnight which will cause bitter wind chill factors as actual temps should drop to single digits and teens. Be safe everyone and stay off the roads if you can! JC

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/21/14 08:32 AM

Weather forecast is for about 8 to 10 inches here, ending sometime late this evening or early tomorrow morning. That will give me just enough time to clear the driveway, which is the length of a football field and 10 feet wide with a 40 X 60-foot parking apron at the bottom, and 126 feet of sidewalk cleared so I can go back to work tomorrow. Of course, that's if the snow plows get to my neighborhood, which sometimes can take up to a week. When you live out in the sticks, you have to get used to this crap. That's why the Florida Keys are so inviting this time of year. I repeat "DAMNED I HATE WINTER!"[i][/i][u][/u]

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/21/14 08:45 AM

Gary ... I don't know why you keep clearing that driveway yourself ... STOP IT !!! stop stop stop

Hire a plow guy and if you can't get out to a gig, you don't ... it's not worth risking your life ... besides, you've got that "act of God" clause in your contracts, no?!?

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/21/14 08:57 AM

Brutal here too guys. Highs not expected to be over the 50's today. At least there's no rain. smile

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/21/14 09:20 AM

I can almost hear you snickering, Don....over 50...it's 16 friggin' degrees here, and everyone of them degrees is cold!

We also have the wonderful expectations of another 11 inches of snow on top of the 12 inches we got yesterday.

The beauty of my new digs is that I no longer need to shovel snow...removal is done by a guy with a truck as part of the perks of living here.

At around $30 or so, it can sure add up in a string of storms like we've had this year.

The local ski resort is doing very well, nonetheless.

50 degrees? Showoff!

Ian

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/21/14 09:38 AM

Nobody likes a smartass! wink

Tony, no neighborhood kids do this stuff anymore. I'm old, but I ain't dead yet (well, with the exception of some body parts.) The snow is falling at about an inch an hour right now, I have the space heater fired up in my office, and I'm still cold. Gonna fire up the S-950 and make some registrations I've been thinking about, once specifically for John Denver songs.

Another fun day in Paradise,

Gary cool

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/21/14 09:40 AM

surprised

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/21/14 10:03 AM

Gary we know you ain't dead yet and we don't want you to be... I'm not talking about neighborhood kids, I'm talking about guys with plows on their 4 by 4 ... look in your local paper no doubt there'd be a ton of ads in there for them... stay inside with that 950 ...

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/21/14 10:17 AM

mad

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/21/14 10:34 AM

Tony, those guys are all making huge amounts of money doing shopping center parking lots. One of my neighbors has a monster 1-ton pickup truck with a snow plow on the front and salt speader in the back - he picks up $10,000 clearing the snow from just one local shopping center's parking lot. And he has done as many as 3 during one night of snow. Not a bad way to make a year's income. Of course, last winter, we didn't have any snow at all here and he had to get a regular job working as a brick layer for a local contractor. I don't think he's worried about laying bricks this winter. wink

Gary cool

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/21/14 10:40 AM

Oh, the weather outside is frightful, but the fire is so delightful . . . let it snow! Doesn't bother me a bit.
Leaving for Dallas to deliver the Bosi to Janet.
Sun is so bright, I need darker sunglasses driving that direction. Problems never end, do they? smile

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/21/14 01:13 PM

surprised

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/21/14 02:15 PM

... taking pics while DRIVING?!? ...

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/21/14 02:21 PM

Tony, those guys are all making huge amounts of money doing shopping center parking lots. One of my neighbors has a monster 1-ton pickup truck with a snow plow on the front and salt speader in the back - he picks up $10,000 clearing the snow from just one local shopping center's parking lot. And he has done as many as 3 during one night of snow. Not a bad way to make a year's income. Of course, last winter, we didn't have any snow at all here and he had to get a regular job working as a brick layer for a local contractor. I don't think he's worried about laying bricks this winter. wink
Gary cool

Gary ... I am sure SOME of them are, but my neighborhood isn't much different from yours, and there are numerous independent guys picking up extra cash plowing people's driveways ...
If you WANTED to have someone do it, I KNOW you could find someone ... but if you want to continue doing it yourself, by all means do it ... but for Carol's sake, make sure the life insurance policy is paid up !!! ...

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/21/14 02:39 PM

Life insurance? I don't need no stinking life insurance! Lets see now, if I kick the bucket this evening she gets the house, the boat, my retirement account, half of my Social Security. all the music gear, and my bony ass gets incinerated and dumped in Chesapeake Bay. I haven't had life insurance since in turned 70. Insurance companies don't want 70-year-plus old men having Term Life policies, and if you try to buy it, it costs a fortune. I figured I would try to piss the money away so it would be a break even situation when I kicked off, but that ain't working out any better than getting shot in the back of the head by a jealous husband at 108 while climbing out a second story window with my pants down around my ankles and a 19-year old screaming "Don't leave me, Gary - Don't leave me." wink

Thanks for the concern, though guys - but I just take a leisurely walk behind the snow blower at low travel speed and steer it. Nothing strenuous about that, but damned it's cold out there right now and the snow is still piing up at an inch an hour.

Gary cool

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/21/14 07:45 PM

Well, the snow just stopped, so I'll wait till morning to tackle the driveway and sidewalk. The temperature is dropping like a stone, forecast is for 3 degrees f tonight, high of 12 tomorrow. If I can clear the driveway and sidewalk in three hours of less, I might be able to make tomorrow's job. If not, I'll call the AD and reschedule for next week.

Don't you just love those seasonal changes, Donny and Dave! Give me the sunny south and I'd be a happy camper.

Nite all,

Gary cool

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/21/14 08:28 PM

Gary - I absolutely love the changes! Mmmmm ... smell that snow - beautiful! Me and my school kiddies have 2 unexpected days off to play in it, and recharge our youthful batteries before we get down to work again. You could never appreciate the majesty of spring if it didn't follow winter! Say hello to my parents next time you run away to the south ... they're snow-birds and I won't see them till April!
As for me and my house .... we shall play in the snow.
smile

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/22/14 05:42 AM

Gary - I absolutely love the changes! Mmmmm ... smell that snow - beautiful! Me and my school kiddies have 2 unexpected days off to play in it, and recharge our youthful batteries before we get down to work again. You could never appreciate the majesty of spring if it didn't follow winter! Say hello to my parents next time you run away to the south ... they're snow-birds and I won't see them till April!
As for me and my house .... we shall play in the snow.
smile

Oh baby we are all here making home made pancakes with Vermont maple syrup and sausages YUMMMY!!! Gonna watch movies,
play music, There is a calmness after the storm that cant be explained cool2 ...sun is out bright as ever and it looks magical......4 seasons for me!! Yeah!!

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/22/14 06:20 AM

confused2

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/22/14 06:42 AM

It's 4 degrees outside, I'm putting on my insulated coveralls with a hood, and headed out to clear 300 feet of driveway. Just talked with the AD for today's job and told her I wouldn't be able to get the driveway cleared in time to make the 1 p.m. job. Rebooked for next week. Donny, either you and Dave have pretty short driveways and sidewalks to clear, or you have someone else doing the clearing for you. wink If Nancy clears sidewalks and driveways, tell her I'll marry her and take her on summer cruises down the bay in my sailboat. wink wink wink

Gary cool

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/22/14 06:44 AM

It's 4 degrees outside, I'm putting on my insulated coveralls with a hood, and headed out to clear 300 feet of driveway. Just talked with the AD for today's job and told her I wouldn't be able to get the driveway cleared in time to make the 1 p.m. job. Rebooked for next week. Donny, either you and Dave have pretty short driveways and sidewalks to clear, or you have someone else doing the clearing for you. wink If Nancy clears sidewalks and driveways, tell her I'll marry her and take her on summer cruises down the bay in my sailboat. wink wink wink

Gary cool

not me snow removal is included here, driveways too.....
be safe Gary out there. take a few pics also for us..

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/22/14 07:14 AM

The snow-plow was by early this morning pushing the 20cm of "global warming" off the parking lot.

Ian

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/22/14 07:28 AM

Just came back in - it's so cold the snow blower wouldn't start, so I had to bring it into the basement to defrost enough for the gasoline to vaporize in the carburetor. I shoveled the sidewalk, the snow was about a foot deep there, but at 4 degrees with the wind kicking along at 20 mph, the wind chill index is -14 degrees f. After about 30 minutes of shoveling, I made it to the cars, that was enough for this old man until I can get the snow blower started. I called a snow removal service I found in the newspapers, the guy said he might be able to get here my late afternoon or tomorrow morning, and the charge to do just the driveway, which will probably take him about three minutes, is $100. I told him I'll call him back - NOT! By noon the temperature is supposed to get up to 12 degrees, and by then the snow blower should be warm enough to start. (fingers crossed)

Gary cool

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/22/14 07:44 AM

It was that cold here yesterday, I saw several guys pushing a bungalow down the street...tryin' to jump start the oil furnace.

Buddy down the road from me, said it was that cold in the house last week after the power went off, that the flame on the candle froze and they couldn't blow it out.

He threw it out the window, and the next day, when it got warmer, the candle flame thawed out and set the field on fire.

Thank goodness for global warming!

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/22/14 08:45 AM

LOL! Cape humour at its finest, Ian!

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/22/14 08:54 AM

Donny ... that is a LOT of snow !!!
Got up this morning, the road was plowed, my plow guy had plowed the driveway, I just had to clear the snow of the vehicles and shovel the walk ...
We did get lucky in that our area only got about 6 inches ...

Gary ... I love ya man, but you are one of the most headstrong (hard-headed??? wink ) people I know ... grin
Did you really expect a plow guy who has probably been up all night servicing his REGULAR customers to run to clear your drive way ??? ... and if he could clear 300 ft of foot high snow -not counting drifts - in 3 minutes I would LOVE to see his equipment in operation ... grin
And $100 ?!? ... supply and demand my friend ... my driveway is 85 ft and level to the street and I pay $35 (it is well worth it ... I will find better ways to spend my time and energy) ... knowing your driveway, I would think $100 on short notice isn't bad with that much snow, - what is it one gig?
... do yourself a favor while you are waiting for the snow blower to defrost ... call a number of snow removal places and see if you can get a decent price for FUTURE snow falls ... TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF !!!
Sell that snow blower and buy yourself a back up 950 keys grin
"I'm going to wait for the snow blower to defrost so I can clear the driveway" ... what's wrong with THAT statement ???
dancers

rocker

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/22/14 10:51 AM

The snow blower defrosted, the temperature outside is 12, winds slowed to 10, not much drifting, did the driveway in 2-1/2 hours. Tony, the guy I talked with came by when I was just finishing up, he has a small dump truck, with an 8-foot blade on the front of it and everything is hydraulic. I asked about getting on his schedule and if I would get a price break for that, to which he said "Not this year, and if you're over 65 I give a 10 percent discount. I gave him my card, he said he would get back to me next summer when he lines up his 2015 schedule. Now I'm trying to convince Carol that we should be spending the 2015 winter in Marathon Key, Florida - but I don't think she'll go for it.

Gary cool

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/22/14 11:30 AM

My advice would still be to look around for another guy for this year ... winter ain't over by a long shot ...

but - to paraphrase - "I advise, YOU decide" ...
rocker

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/22/14 11:38 AM

Yeah, I know it's not - more snow coming tomorrow and Saturday.

Gary cool

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/22/14 11:39 AM

Yeah, I know it's not - more snow coming tomorrow and Saturday.

Gary cool

And a big one Monday too... surprised

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-ne...6R1YYM.facebook

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/22/14 11:46 AM

I just hope the following weekend (Jan 31) is ok weather wise - 10 day forecast says 'snow shower' ... I've got a nice gig that I am playing with the sax player from the NY band and I want to make sure he gets up here from NJ ok ... I don't care if he gets snowed in up here - we've been friends since high school, plus I will force him to watch the Super Bowl grin ... he's NOT a sports fan - other than tennis ...

PS ... see that little rectangle above Long Island and next to Connecticut? ... that's us ... grin

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/22/14 11:49 AM

I just hope the following weekend (Jan 31) is ok weather wise - 10 day forecast says 'snow shower' ... I've got a nice gig that I am playing with the sax player from the NY band and I want to make sure he gets up here from NJ ok ... I don't care if he gets snowed in up here - we've been friends since high school, plus I will force him to watch the Super Bowl grin ... he's NOT a sports fan - other than tennis ...

PS ... see that little rectangle above Long Island and next to Connecticut? ... that's us ... grin

tell him to leave now....its gonna be a rough week coming snow wise..

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/22/14 01:12 PM

A chilly 46ºF here in sunny Florida today...

Brrrrrr...!

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/22/14 01:24 PM

I just read it's in the 40s in Alaska! So why not warm up a little in Anchorage?

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/22/14 03:25 PM

Anchorage is situated on the Humboldt current. It's fairly warm year round.

Gary
Posted by: captain Russ

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/22/14 03:38 PM

Gary 1s right. I lived in Fairbanks...no wind at all, and negligent wind chill factor. Smoke went straight up.

Trips to Anchorage were pleasant...noticeably warmer, but much higher in elevation.

Really cool part of the world (no play on words intended)!

R.

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/22/14 03:50 PM

Anchorage is situated on the Humboldt current. It's fairly warm year round.

Gary

OK, FAIRLY warm: average 16F in January and 59F in July...

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/23/14 01:25 PM

Be prepared for the end of time. It's snowing in Shreveport!

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/23/14 02:04 PM

You're thinking of 'The Day After Tomorrow'? US citizens crossing the Rio Grande into Mexico...

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/23/14 02:23 PM

Mardi Gras on Ice... I can see it now!
drink confused2

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/23/14 02:37 PM

Damned Don, now you know how it is up here in the frozen wilds of Maryland.

Gary cool

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/24/14 01:22 AM

surprised

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/24/14 05:24 AM

eek2

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/24/14 07:53 AM

I went to check on my boat last week, the entire Susquehanna River was frozen and there was a massive pile of ice at Conowingo Dam. The trees on the far side of the dam were filled with American eagles, but I couldn't stop on the dam to take a photo of them. Must have been at least 25 of them, waiting for the water to come gushing from the base of the dam so they could feed on the fish caught in the currents. It's an amazing sight when this happens.

Gary

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/24/14 12:54 PM

Just went outside to fire up the snow blower, but the snow and slush that had accumulated in the auger and blades has frozen solid. Therefore, once again, I had to bring it inside to thaw out so it will run properly. And, Tony, I found a guy who said he can fit me in for the next storm, $100 for snows under 6 inches deep. Haven't got a price yet for deeper snows. He's coming over tomorrow to look at what the job entails.

Gary cool

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/24/14 12:59 PM

Just went outside to fire up the snow blower, but the snow and slush that had accumulated in the auger and blades has frozen solid. Therefore, once again, I had to bring it inside to thaw out so it will run properly. And, Tony, I found a guy who said he can fit me in for the next storm, $100 for snows under 6 inches deep. Haven't got a price yet for deeper snows. He's coming over tomorrow to look at what the job entails.

Gary cool

could be time for a nice heated garage... confused1

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/24/14 01:02 PM

Donny, I would rather move to the Florida Keys than spend $40,000 on an attached, heated garage. Makes a lot more sense to me.

Gary cool

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/24/14 01:19 PM

As soon as you've done these investments, the next winters will probably be entirely without snow...

Finally, enough cold air is currently creeping in to produce a tiny snow cover above 2,000 feet altitude in western Germany, so a small relief for skiing tourism.

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/24/14 01:31 PM

Gary, unless you have a very big driveway, $100 is a lot of money for plowing snow less than 6 inches deep.

My old house had a fairly big driveway with two entrances as I was on a corner lot, and the most I got charged for that amount of snow was $25 Canadian.

Certainly, getting your driveway plowed is preferable to doing it yourself and running the health risks involved, but that does seem a bit steep.

Ian

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/24/14 01:45 PM

Ian, my driveway is 10 feet wide, 320 feet long, with a 40 X 60-foot parking apron at the bottom. On a good day I can snow blow it in 2 to 3 hours with a self-propelled, 8 HP, 24-inch wide snow blower. That's if the snow is dry. When it's wet, it could take up to 5 hours, and at 73 I'm just too damned old for that anymore. Like Clint Eastwood said "A man's gotta know his limitations."

Donny rents a home in New Jersey where the snow removal is included in the cost of rent. I never had that option because I've owned all the homes I've lived in since 1965, which means if you want the snow removed, you either buy a snow blower, or get out the shovel. So, when he says he loves the change of seasons, that doesn't involve any of the work of home maintenance. I don't know about Dave, though, but I suspect a similar scenario there as well - I don't see UD out there shoveling a football field length driveway and 128 feet of sidewalk - all uphill.

I take care of a 2.5 acre front lawn, 7 rock gardens with lots of flowers, one with a pond, a huge deck, larger brick patio, maintain the household repairs, do the grocery shopping, and run a full-time music business. And on top of it all, I still make time for sailing and maintaining a 33-foot sailboat, which some say is a full time job in itself. Because I couldn't get out of my driveway during three snow storms this winter, I've lost 4 jobs, which translates to $500. So, that $100 snow removal fee is a bargain as far as I'm concerned.

On top of it all, I've had two heart attacks, my lungs are shot to hell from asbestos, the joints are shot from Lyme Disease, and the telephone is ringing off the hook with people wanting to book me for more and more music jobs. I sure wish I lived in a warmer climate and was 30 years younger. wink

Cheers,

Gary cool

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/24/14 01:59 PM

"A man's gotta know his limitations."

So, that $100 snow removal fee is a bargain as far as I'm concerned.

the joints are shot from Lyme Disease,

Cheers,
Gary cool

AMEN !!!

... glad you came to your senses over the past couple of days ...

... it would be better if the Lyme Disease was shot from the joints ... smoke laugh2

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/24/14 02:05 PM

. . . and I suppose your love life is pretty much over too?
smile

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/24/14 02:20 PM

Hey, Gary...you really have your work cut out for you with a driveay and property like that.

That's why sold my house...paid off as many bills as possible, bought a new Tyros4, and tucked away what was left over, and moved into a secure apartment building with very reasonable rent, and all maintenance done for me, including snow removal and lawn care.

I was lucky as well, to have some great friends and a few new acquaintances that helped me out considerably, and I'm very grateful for having them.

I figure I put in enough years, and really, after all, we only really rent what we have...we can't take it with us. I've never seen a U-Haul trailer in a funeral procession.

I spend every day doing pretty much what I want, which is usually playing my keyboard.

I'm no financial genius, or doctor, but I do know there comes a time when it's best to be a passenger on the bus instead of having to always be the driver.

$100 is cheap insurance, especially considering the size of your property and the potential risks involved.

Ian

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/24/14 02:22 PM

No, I'm still lovin life, but damned it's cold outside - just finished snow blowing the parking apron. It's 11 degrees out side and you'll probably walk on the golf course tomorrow in a short sleeved shirt. I have to get out of the driveway and go to work before the next snow storm hits. Both of us are gonna have fun, though. smile

Gary cool

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/24/14 03:00 PM

It really has disadvantages to have a long driveway... In Germany most detached houses are right next to the street with just a few metres to the garage, except residences of very rich people. And in addition, in Westphalia we have an average of just 7 days of snow cover per year.

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/24/14 03:26 PM

Donny, I would rather move to the Florida Keys than spend $40,000 on an attached, heated garage. Makes a lot more sense to me.

Gary cool

keep taking vacations with carol top Marathon key FL...
2x or 3x a year until she gives in .. dance2

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/24/14 03:28 PM

I'm working on it, Donny.

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/24/14 03:35 PM

Gary ... I think it is pretty cold in Don's area right now ... he might even need a sweater on the course tomorrow ...

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/24/14 03:50 PM

I'm working on it, Donny.

Good luck buddy life is too short... cool2

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/25/14 11:30 AM

Sleeted here in Florida briefly, yesterday. Brrrrr!

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/25/14 11:32 AM

snowing now here on the NJ shore.. mad

Another heavier area of snow is moving into SENJ and should cross SNJ from west to east. More precipitation is falling in Eastern PA but it will be a little until that makes it to NJ later this evening.

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/25/14 11:59 AM

Weatherman predicted 1 to 3 inches today here, lost another job to the snow, and Monday is supposed to be a good size storm. Global warming - yeah - right!

Gary cool

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/25/14 12:08 PM

Weatherman predicted 1 to 3 inches today here, lost another job to the snow, and Monday is supposed to be a good size storm. Global warming - yeah - right!

Gary cool

cool2

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/25/14 12:30 PM

Gary cool

That's why it's called global warming and not local warming... rolleyes

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/25/14 12:56 PM

Cept it ain't happening - http://dailycaller.com/2014/01/22/nasa-data-shows-that-the-pause-in-global-warming-continues/

Gary cool

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/25/14 02:08 PM

We had several inches of "global warming" plowed out of the parking lot this morning.

Ian

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/25/14 02:16 PM

It's always the same, in 2010 everybody in Germany laughed about global warming, too, as we had 3 weeks of substantial snow cover in our region, which we hadn't had for decades. This year the ski-lift operators are going bankrupt, so global warming is being discussed again. People always think global warming is something you can experience directly in your region, otherwise it wouldn't exist. On the other hand, it's true that there is a break in the upward trend - which doesn't mean it fell back to former levels.

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/25/14 03:00 PM

Whether or not it's manmade is the controversial aspect of global warming. I, along with many in the meteorological scientific community do not believe for one second that man has the slightest ability to effect climactic changes of the planet.

Gary cool

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/25/14 03:29 PM

Been thawing like crazy this past couple of days here in Alberta at +8C. We're getting the Pineapple Express, a warm blast in off the South Pacific. Come Sunday, though, arctic air swoops in from the Yukon and we tank to -18C.

smile Well they say variety is the spice of life, eh?

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/25/14 03:30 PM

I, along with many in the meteorological scientific community do not believe for one second that man has the slightest ability to effect climactic changes of the planet.

Gary cool

You're right. It's cow farts. However, if you eat too much fiber, you may also be contributing. JMO.

smile

chas

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/25/14 03:41 PM

Been thawing like crazy this past couple of days here in Alberta at +8C. We're getting the Pineapple Express, a warm blast in off the South Pacific. Come Sunday, though, arctic air swoops in from the Yukon and we tank to -18C.

smile Well they say variety is the spice of life, eh?

Is it the Chinook?

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/25/14 04:34 PM

Not quite. That's what they're known as in southern Alberta, but we don't typically get those farther north. There can be quite a disparity in temperatures between the north and south of the province.

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/26/14 02:36 AM

Your profile doesn't show where you are from. How far north in Alberta is it? Much north of Edmonton?
I've only been to BC, I was fascinated by the Okanagan valley climate.

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/26/14 03:38 AM

confused2

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/26/14 05:33 AM

You're right. It's cow farts. However, if you eat too much fiber, you may also be contributing. JMO.

smile

chas

For those who might not have been aware and thought I was just being crude, here is just one of many articles on the subject.
http://www.ibtimes.com/cow-farts-have-la...-change-1487502

chas

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/26/14 05:41 AM

Whether or not it's manmade is the controversial aspect of global warming. I, along with many in the meteorological scientific community do not believe for one second that man has the slightest ability to effect climactic changes of the planet.

Gary cool

I'm critical in both directions, so I don't accept all the warnings in a naive way either. I have heard some 'pro man made climate change' scientists state very questionable things just to make climate change appear more dramatic - and as a consequence I got sceptical and always ask myself: Does this scientist speak rationally about facts and observations or does he have an incentive to present things in a certain way (e.g. does he want more funds for his institute to grow, sell his own books, be part of the climate change industry...).

But on the other hand, don't overrate the size of the atmosphere. The decisive layer for our climate is only 10 miles high, and there are some examples of eruptions of a single volcano that changed the entire climate worldwide for 2 years.

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/26/14 05:47 AM

Oh BTW, Gary. Just got back from Key West, passing through Marathon, of course. Took my new Motorhome on it's maiden voyage
(is there a song in there -- well only if you listen to jazz).
Stopped in Tampa for the RV Supershow (cold as hell), then Sarasota (cold as hell), then the Everglades National Park (cold as heck) and finally the Keys (chilly at night). Wow, if you can't get warm in Florida, then where? We still have a house on the Big Island (Hawaii) which is up for sale but I may take that 'for sale' sign down smile. It was down to 6 f here in Atlanta a few nights ago. Might as well move back to Philly, at least I can be close to Fran smile.

chas

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/26/14 09:05 AM

Hi rosetree. Yup, Edmonton at, wait for it, 53.427512N - well, that just about pinpoints the birdbath in the garden:). I took the liberty of looking up North-Rhine and see that you are only marginally south of me at, wait for it, 51.433237N. Vast difference in climate, though. I remember my old geography teacher saying how extremes of climate always occurred in the midddle of a landmass. She was certainly right about that in my case.

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/26/14 09:08 AM

Headed out in the Falling Snow last night to the GIG,....
I thought they would cancel but NO the SHOW Must Go On!!

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/26/14 10:35 AM

chas ... in the 'traditional' understanding, if a place is "cold as hell" wouldn't that be pretty 'damned' hot ?!? wink ...

... and personally, if I was going to move somewhere, the Big Island would be the choice over a LOT of other places ... just sayin' ... grin

... anyway, glad you are enjoying your new rig ...

... and nice "Herbie" reference ... grin

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/26/14 11:15 AM

I have several friends that lived on the big island, all moved back to this part of the world for various reasons. One, who was also a forum member, now lives in the Florida Panhandle area and sells real estate there. Though I've been to many Pacific countries, I must say it's one of the very few places in the world I've not seen, but would love to visit one day.

Gary cool

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/26/14 11:55 AM

I've been to Mexico and Canada.
. . . "And Carolina in my dreams."

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/26/14 12:05 PM

Climb aboard the the sailboat with me next fall and you'll see a whole lot of the south east U.S. coast and maybe the Bahamas and Dry Tortugas. Now that would be braggin rights for you, Don.
Currently, it's snowing here, few patches of blue sky as well, temperature outdoors is just 24 degrees and supposed to drop to 10 tonight.

Gary cool

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/26/14 12:27 PM

Hi rosetree. Yup, Edmonton at, wait for it, 53.427512N - well, that just about pinpoints the birdbath in the garden:). I took the liberty of looking up North-Rhine and see that you are only marginally south of me at, wait for it, 51.433237N. Vast difference in climate, though. I remember my old geography teacher saying how extremes of climate always occurred in the midddle of a landmass. She was certainly right about that in my case.

Yes, we are strongly favoured by the gulf stream. Actually, the climate in northwest Germany is very similar to Vancouver or the lower Frazer valley, nearly same averages for winter and summer; but Vancouver is even slightly milder in winter due to the protection from the coast mountains. In Germany we sometimes get air from Northern Russia, and there is no mountain chain in between, so once in 20 years it can get down to about -22C (-8F) (which probably won't shock you).

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/26/14 12:27 PM

I have several friends that lived on the big island,....
I must say it's one of the very few places in the world I've not seen, but would love to visit one day.
Gary cool

Gary ... DO IT !!! Hawaii is absolutely BEAUTIFUL ... and each island has ts own beauty and 'magic' ...

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/26/14 12:31 PM

Currently, it's snowing here, few patches of blue sky as well, temperature outdoors is just 24 degrees and supposed to drop to 10 tonight.
Gary cool

HEAT WAVE coming ... gonna reach 40 in l'il rhody tomorrow ... bounce

... of course it will be back n the 20's on Tuesday ... frown

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/26/14 03:04 PM

chas ... in the 'traditional' understanding, if a place is "cold as hell" wouldn't that be pretty 'damned' hot ?!? wink ...

Picky, picky. Ok then, how about "cold as Rhode Island"; same thing smile.

... and nice "Herbie" reference ... grin

Ha! I figured you and Russ and Boo would be the only ones to pick it up - oh, and Diki, who knows EVERYTHING.

chas

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/26/14 04:23 PM

Picky, picky. Ok then, how about "cold as Rhode Island"; same thing smile.

... hey ... you would LOVE it up here ... "Democrat Heaven" ... but HELL for the rest of us ...

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/27/14 05:59 AM

Finally, good news for the NR-Westphalian skiing resorts...

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/27/14 10:57 AM

I'd like to ride that thing if they'd let me ride it back down as well.
Seems our weather here in North Louisiana is into a "cold one day, warm the next day" mode. Yesterday was 64, right now at noon it's 36 and windy.

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/27/14 11:10 AM

It's 46 degrees f outside right now, the wind is woofing at about 25 and another cold front is approaching. Tonight, the temperature is supposed to drop to 6 degrees f. Tomorrow's high will be 12, but by the weekend the temperature should moderate and get into the mid 30s with rain forecast.

Seems like spring is a long way off - wait it is a long way off. What the Hell was I thinking? It's still January and the worst of winter is yet to come.

Gary cool

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/27/14 11:39 AM

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/27/14 11:58 AM

LOVE IT !!! rotf2

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/27/14 03:38 PM

I have a bunch of those weather forecasting stones for sale - cheap! wink Tonight, it's going down to 6 degrees, tomorrow's high is 12, I brought the gear in from the van just to be on the safe side, but by this weekend, the heat wave will hit - might get above freezing. Damned, that would be nice.

Gary cool

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/28/14 04:06 AM

surprised

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/28/14 02:20 PM

Today's high here in Forest never got above 9 degrees - damned that is cold, especially with a 15 to 20 MPH wind. So, as Jay Leno said "How Cold Is It?" Well, when I took the small fan out of the van and put it on the Rock & Roller, it was so cold that the insulation on the wire to plug it in cracked in several places. It was so cold that if you had a piece of wet rope you could have shot pool with it. wink The bright spot is tomorrow it's gonna get up to 15 degrees here - big deal!

Gary cool

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/28/14 02:38 PM

Absolutely no chance of snow in the lowlands of the western half of Germany. Next week the mild atlantic air will completely take over again. So I've just decided to make a short trip to the snow-covered Sauerland mountains at the weekend to get a brief impression of winter - probably the only occasion this year... (This would rather fit to a thread called: "Damned, I love winter...")

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/28/14 04:00 PM

surprised
Posted by: Bachus

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/28/14 11:55 PM

All the bad weather is going to the other side of the pool..

Overhere in Holland still no sign of winter at all, not even freezing at nights where i live..

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/29/14 03:10 AM

surprised

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/29/14 04:20 AM

OK .... I think we beat the weather issue to a pulp. I can get this from the news channels. Maybe this thread can be done soon? Just sayin'
smile
Posted by: Bachus

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/29/14 04:54 AM

OK .... I think we beat the weather issue to a pulp. I can get this from the news channels. Maybe this thread can be done soon? Just sayin'
smile
maybe we should talk about the weather in Hawaii... With some lovely aloha girls and some tropicall tunes..
Posted by: mirza

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/29/14 06:36 AM

Right now, in London On. it's so cold they had to turn on heat in hell too.

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/29/14 06:56 AM

smile

C'mon UD ... only 9 pages, 10,000+ views, and 250+ responses ... Gary's going for the "Longest Thread Ever Posted" award ... laugh2

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/29/14 07:48 AM

surprised

Margaritaville?.. surprised

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/29/14 08:28 AM

When do we leave Donny? party

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/29/14 08:39 AM

Originally Posted By: Songman55
When do we leave Donny? party

NOT today Joey lolol surprised

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/29/14 08:46 AM

I'll bet UD wishes he was the guy on the stage here. Just sayin!

We got dumped on during the night, just an inch or two on the driveway, but this was easy to get off with the snow blower - only took about 30 minutes, but at 10 degrees, that was longer than I would like to be outdoors, and wasn't worth calling the snow plow guy and spending $100. Beside, I needed the exercise. wink Damned Margarettas make you fat, but they sure taste great.

Gary cool

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/29/14 08:51 AM

woot Jimmy Buffet baby!!!!!! party

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/29/14 08:54 AM

Those are house monitors, Donny. You need a fork lift to move those babies. wink I know Joe Ayala recognizes that stage and probably spent some time on it. smile

Gary cool

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/29/14 09:00 AM

Those are house monitors, Donny. You need a fork lift to move those babies. wink I know Joe Ayala recognizes that stage and probably spent some time on it. smile

Gary cool

Stop torturing yourself and GET DOWN SOUTH ASAP!!

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/29/14 12:01 PM

Winter Wonderland Brrrrrrrrrrrr!

make it Stop bounce

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/29/14 01:03 PM

Hell has frozen over in Florida! My yard is a sheet of ice, the whole town (the whole South!) has ground to a halt.

I can drive on snow, but ice, I draw the line at. We had to cancel rehearsal today because all the bridges are closed.

Brrrrrr!

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/29/14 01:13 PM

make it Stop bounce

... but Donny, you LOVE this ... confused1

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/29/14 01:23 PM

Mainly very cold here (-20 C)...just had about 11 inches of snow on top of what had melted/dissolved the day before when it hit a balmy 9 C with rain. Now it's hard to tell what is soft snow and what is frozen slippery ice that looks like snow.

Walking is especially tricky. I'm very used to driving in bad weather, but some days it's just not worth beating the daylights out of the car, or, risking getting hit by a driver who hasn't learned to slow down. Then there are the hot-doggers who can't wait to go ripping around in their 4-wheel drive pickups and SUV's, not realizing that although their vehicle can get better traction pulling away, it isn't any better than a regular car when it comes to stopping on really slippery roads.

oh oh...just looked out the window...more snow.

Ah well...it is WINTER after all.

Ian

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/29/14 01:52 PM

make it Stop bounce

... but Donny, you LOVE this ... confused1

correct Tony Love cold weather .....hate snow... wink

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/29/14 07:56 PM

I'll bet UD wishes he was the guy on the stage here. Just sayin!

Nope:

Uncle Dave is a happy clam in Philly. In fact he braved the chill to go to the local theater tonight for "Tuesday's with Morrie" - Friday night, playing a public dance with old friends on guitar - Saturday night, my monthly vertical at Mamma Floras ... if I was THAT guy, I'd miss what THIS guy has been doing his whole life ... enjoying and embracing my hometown crowds.

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/29/14 08:13 PM

confused2

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/29/14 08:26 PM

Sigh ... the bandwidth bandit strikes again!

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/30/14 12:21 AM

surprised

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/30/14 01:08 AM

We got nearly 30 cm of "global warming" through the night. More expected this evening.

Thankfully, I don't have to shovel as snow removal is included here at my new digs, but I do have to clean off the car...it looks like a cake with boiled frosting on it.

It's cold too...-17 C (or 1 F ) but, it ain't cold inside, and there's lots of tunes and styles to work on...

Ian

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/30/14 07:31 AM

Regular heat wave here today - 26 degrees and no wind for a change. I have the next 5 days off and just gonna sit around and play the S-950.

Gary cool

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/30/14 07:45 AM

I have the next 5 days off
Gary cool

surprised confused1 surprised

What?......go set up in the nearest MALL and put out a tip cup for 5 days !!! keys rotf2

Just kidding? wink .....enjoy your down time buddy. cool2

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/30/14 03:57 PM

WINTER STORM DOWN SOUTH

surprised

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 01/30/14 04:13 PM

Just talked to friend who's boat is stuck in the ICW just above Charleston Harbor. The drawbridge is frozen shut with 6 inches of ice. Temperature there was 26 today.

Gary

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/01/14 10:19 AM

Here we go again this MONDAY!!!! mad

The 12Z Canadian now throws 6-10 inches of snow across SNJ on Monday...right through Baltimore and Philly too. This seems a bit high considering the system be moving so quick. 6+ sure but not sure about double digits. I guess we'll see... Model image reproduced with permission from WeatherBell Analytics. Be safe!

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/01/14 11:16 AM

The forecast for here just changed to 5 to 8 inches of manmade global warming for Monday. If those damned Martians would stop driving those gas guzzling SUVs we wouldn't have this problem.;)

Gary cool

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/02/14 11:39 AM

Today I've touched deep snow for the first time in 12 months. Had a nice 2 hour snow hike on the Ebbe mountains 40 miles south of Dortmund (altitude 2,180 feet), whereas the lowlands were in the upper 40s today.

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/02/14 12:09 PM

Sleeting in Dallas I'm told. Probably coming our way.

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/02/14 12:38 PM

Here we go again 4-8+" Monday morning mad

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/02/14 01:53 PM

67f here north of Atlanta. Just took one of my bikes (Triumph Triple - no windshield) out for a little 50mi RT up to the local airport. Can't believe every inch of it was ice covered just a few days ago. It's not just 'climate change', it's climate QUICK change.

chas

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/02/14 02:45 PM

12,000 view about the weather. Unbelievable!

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/02/14 02:50 PM

12006!

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/02/14 03:15 PM

Maybe if we all sing this, we'll forget about the weather:

Well, I don't care if the sun don't shine. I get my lovin' in the evening time
When I'm with my baby.
Well, it ain't no fun with the sun around. I get going when the sun goes down
And I'm with my baby.

Well, that's when we're gonna kiss and kiss and kiss and kiss,
And we're gonna kiss some more.
Who cares how many times we kiss,
'Cause at a time like this, who keeps score?

Well, I don't care if the sun don't shine I get my loving in the evening time
When I meet my baby.
And it don't matter if it's sleet or snow, The drive-in's cozy when the lights are low
And I'm with my baby.
Makes no difference if the rain comes down I don't notice when she's around.
Oh boy, what a baby.

Well, that's when we're gonna kiss and kiss and kiss and kiss, and
We're gonna kiss some more.
Well, one kiss from my baby doll Makes me hot...
More more more more.

When I'm with my baby.

Well, that's when we're gonna kiss and kiss and kiss and kiss, and
We're gonna kiss some more.
Well, one kiss from my baby doll Makes me hot...
More more more more.

When I'm with my baby.

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/02/14 03:20 PM

Weather effects us all every moment of every day of your life.

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/02/14 06:09 PM

Yep. I'm gonna lose a 2 hour restaurant job tomorrow night.

Gary

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/02/14 06:17 PM

Yep. I'm gonna lose a 2 hour restaurant job tomorrow night.

Gary

warm up the Snow Blower baby!!! here we go again! confused2

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/03/14 07:12 AM

Here's the ultra short range high-res HRRR model which has been very consistent so far with this system. By noon there should be punishing rates of snow coming down in the pink areas (snow) and this should persist until at least 3PM.

surprised

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/03/14 10:27 AM

Looking out my front door, it looks SO beautiful ...
BUT WHEN IS IT GOING TO END?!?!?

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/03/14 10:33 AM

Looking out my front door, it looks SO beautiful ...
BUT WHEN IS IT GOING TO END?!?!?

more snow tuesday nite and this saturday also..

This has been one of the most stubborn snow/rain lines I've ever seen. Even though there was high pressure pushing it southeast, low pressure at the 850mb level has pushed the warmer rain back against it. These are mesoscale (short-range analysis) situations that are impossible to detect until it happens. For this reason, most of SNJ is a rainy bust today. NNJ saw a bit more than the expected but the heaviest axis of snow Philly<->NJTP<->NYC performed exactly as expected. The western edge of precipitation is on its way east which should start wrapping up precipitation by 3PM or so.

This is the first of a train of winter storms this week. Tomorrow night into Wednesday looks like a snow to rain situation with NWNJ having the best chance to stay all snow and SENJ having the best chance to stay all rain. For everyone in-between the changeover process (reverse from today-from south to north) could produce ice in the form of sleet and/or freezing rain.

Then we turn our heads to the weekend. There is still a lot of uncertainty which is why I've chosen to wait until Wednesday 12Z model suite to start confident analysis. Radar image reproduced from Penn State University's EWALL site.

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/03/14 10:52 AM

Man, the whole county I live in averages just under a mile high. We're at 4800 feet or so I think, and all year with it snowing right this minute, we've gotten maybe a total of 12 inches or so all winter. It's melting as it hits the ground. However, it is still 7-15 degrees at night and near freezing in the day, until Friday it said yesterday.

You guys must all have snow blowers. eh?

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/03/14 11:02 AM

Tony makes his wife go out an shovel it by hand.

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/03/14 11:12 AM

... shovel?!? ... SHOVEL?!? ... she don't need no stinkin' shovel ...

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/03/14 11:34 AM

Some enterprising guys found a way to make a few extra bucks to add to the pensions...it's quiet too...emissions are relatively low...with the right amount of fiber.

Posted by: Fran Carango

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/03/14 11:50 AM

How does Uncle Dave get 4 or 5 inches, and I get 8 plus inches...??
Only 4 miles apart..

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/03/14 11:53 AM

Originally Posted By: Fran Carango
How does Uncle Dave get 4 or 5 inches, and I get 8 plus inches...??
Only 4 miles apart..

I bet Dave has a different doctor.

Ian

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/03/14 12:03 PM

Don't need no doctor! Not yet, anyway. Fran's the old timer in our posse ... not sure if he even knows HOW to measure inches anymore.
smile

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/03/14 12:05 PM

Fran understands the old adage, "You are only as old as the woman you feel!"

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/03/14 12:21 PM

Of course she doesn't. I was using shovel as a VERB!

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/03/14 12:44 PM

Of course she doesn't. I was using shovel as a VERB!

laugh2

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/03/14 12:48 PM

mad

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/03/14 01:43 PM

Did it snow there?...It's looks more like a frost smile

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/03/14 01:49 PM

Did it snow there?...It's looks more like a frost smile

Here in Cape Breton, we'd consider it a "light" frost.

I believe summer just might be on a Friday this year. wink

Ian

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/03/14 02:40 PM

You want cold? Here's the cold-ass prairie for ya. Read the synopsis for Tuesday night. I put it in Fahrenheit for the benefit of you guys down south.

http://weather.gc.ca/forecast/city_e.html?ab-50&unit=i

Oh, BTW, this is not really 'in the tank' for us yet. Probably more to come yet. smile

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/03/14 03:23 PM

You want cold? Here's the cold-ass prairie for ya. Read the synopsis for Tuesday night. I put it in Fahrenheit for the benefit of you guys down south.

Oh, BTW, this is not really 'in the tank' for us yet. Probably more to come yet. smile

I believe Edmonton gets the lowest temperatures in Canada, rivaling even places on Baffin Island.

Do you ever get "ice fog", 124?

I was in Goose Bay Labrador many years ago, playing at the US Air base, and one evening we weren't allowed to go outside unless we had something to cover our nose and mouth, as the ice particles in the fog would rip the lungs out of you.

I have friends who worked out west and say the winters are brutal...you can get frostbite in a very short time, and not even realize it;'s happened, until you get back inside in the heat again.

Ian

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/03/14 03:30 PM

I believe Edmonton gets the lowest temperatures in Canada, rivaling even places on Baffin Island.

Do you ever get "ice fog", 124?

I was in Goose Bay Labrador many years ago, playing at the US Air base, and one evening we weren't allowed to go outside unless we had something to cover our nose and mouth, as the ice particles in the fog would rip the lungs out of you.

I have friends who worked out west and say the winters are brutal...you can get frostbite in a very short time, and not even realize it;'s happened, until you get back inside in the heat again.

Ian

Yep, little (or large) white patches of hard skin under your eyes and on your cheeks isn't a good thing. I learned this the hard way. frown

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/04/14 08:49 AM

Another round of nasty coming in this afternoon - only this one is predicted to be 1/2 to 1-inch thick cover of freezing rain. Sure glad I have a backup generator here - this could take down a lot of power lines. And, of course, I'll lose another job if the predictions hold true.

Gary cool

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/04/14 08:54 AM

Another round of nasty coming in this afternoon - only this one is predicted to be 1/2 to 1-inch thick cover of freezing rain. Sure glad I have a backup generator here - this could take down a lot of power lines. And, of course, I'll lose another job if the predictions hold true.

Gary cool

sun into Monday is the BIGGIE baby get ready!

"the Euro went KABOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM earlier today for this weekend! Major snow accumulation for most of New Jersey this Sunday-Monday." mad

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/04/14 08:58 AM

Remember this? Thank goodness I now have a roof-rake for snow. I'm too old to shovel the roof of the house off again.

Gary cool

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/04/14 09:01 AM

The deer are bedded down in the snow right behind the house to get out of the wind and cold. They trample down the snow to make a depression in the snow, then spend the night there. They curl up like a dog in a dog bed.

Gary cool

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/04/14 09:05 AM

Remember this? Thank goodness I now have a roof-rake for snow. I'm too old to shovel the roof of the house off again.

Gary cool

haha yes Gary I remember it well lol rotf2

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/04/14 09:21 AM

More snow coming here tomorrow...grocery stores are nutty busy with people getting stuff in case of being snowed in.

Ian

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/04/14 09:23 AM

More snow coming here tomorrow...grocery stores are nutty busy with people getting stuff in case of being snowed in.

Ian

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/04/14 09:44 AM

That Sunday into Monday storm has me really concerned ... I've got a 6 hour gig for some nice $$$ that could be in jeopardy ...

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/04/14 09:58 AM

That Sunday into Monday storm has me really concerned ... I've got a 6 hour gig for some nice $$$ that could be in jeopardy ...

I just turned down a last minute double gig for Wednesdays someone called about because of tomorrows snow ice storm coming. I'm concerned about this weekend also Tony sat/sun two more big gigs in jeorpardy......it's a wait and see at this time?.. eek2

"Mother of God...look at that "thing" coming. I'm close sounding the "over-performance" alarm for just about all of New Jersey with the exception of SENJ counties. I'm looking and listening to obs in the mid-west and it is much stronger of a winter storm than originally expected. It really doesn't look good for travel tomorrow in our region. Flights will be canceled. Schools will be closed. Please take this seriously and be safe"

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/04/14 10:06 AM

Forecast here is for about 8 inches from that storm. Just found out, though, that snow removal from my driveway is tax deductible because if I can't get out of my driveway, I can't go to the jobs, which are all under contract. Therefore, it's no difference than snow removal from the parking lot of any business and I conduct my business from my home office. Today, though, I'm just gonna fire up the space heater, clean my junked up office, and get started in the taxes. One more reason to hate this time of year. wink computer

Gary cool

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/04/14 10:16 AM

6 to 10 forecast here for Wednesday, but as long as it is clear on Thursday ... we are heading for NY to see a granddaughter in a school play ... we will be even more disappointed than she will if we don't get there ...

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/04/14 10:23 AM

Tony..take the train..

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/04/14 10:27 AM

Tony..take the train..

getting to Mamaroneck NY on I 95 might be easier than getting to Providence from my house ... rolleyes

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/04/14 04:26 PM

Cold comfort (sorry;)) for you snowbound guys, but not much forecast in the way of snow up here. Still don't want to be a brass monkey, though. Stay safe, you guys.

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/05/14 10:30 AM

Another day lost to the weather. 1/2 inch thick ice on the driveway, the river's are frozen over, can't get out of the driveway.

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/05/14 11:31 AM

Gary ... did you take those photos?

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/05/14 11:45 AM

Got this in my email today...

St Joseph Lighthouse, Lake Michigan 1/2014 after storm.

This is the St. Joseph Lighthouse on Lake Michigan. Today, it is encased in ice as the Midwest was hit with wind chills that reached -50 degrees.

What it normally looks like...

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/05/14 11:50 AM

Tony, yes those are mine.

Gary cool

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/05/14 12:08 PM

Nice pics Gary, especially the ones with the berries and branches.

We are expecting 30 cm (11 in) overnight, with high winds.

Sort of used to it now, but I'm always concerned about losing power.

I'd be bored to death...ha ha!

Ian

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/05/14 12:17 PM

Tony, yes those are mine.
Gary cool

nicely done ...

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/05/14 12:25 PM

Thanks guys. The camera I've been using for more than a decade is an old Sony Mavica MVC CD1000, which at the time I bought it was very expensive - somewhere around $1,000. Over the years it has provided me with some incredible shots, several thousand of which were sold to leading magazines and newspapers that published my articles. And, of course, I have two of them - just in case. smile Ironically, you can now purchase a used one in excellent condition for $59.95 at Amazon.

Gary cool

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/05/14 03:23 PM

mad

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/06/14 12:28 AM

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/06/14 12:42 AM

Cool Nigel...literally!!

We gettin' 35 cm (13 in) of the global warming as I write this. Can't see out the window.

I'm some glad I moved to this apartment complex...had to pay to get snow removed at old digs...it's free here.

Even the warmer states are having colder weather. Brutal!

Ian

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/06/14 12:54 AM

Cold Outside is a live recording of an original band I played in during the early 80s. You can hear this and other original songs we played at http://girlscanswing.com

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/06/14 01:03 AM

I thought that might have been your band, Nigel...I just wasn't sure...I thought I recognized you in the opening bits with the pics of the band.

Pretty heavy stuff, and very well done. You were playing bass then? Didn't you switch to guitar at some point?

Ian

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/06/14 02:06 AM

Yes I was playing bass then. I have always switched between bass, guitar and keyboard as was need at the time. I just love to play music, the instrument is not important.

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/06/14 02:09 AM

The Name used to open for INXS and The Divinyls

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/08/14 12:09 AM

Dang if it's not snowing here in North Louisiana. Mostly ice now though. Oh well, one more cold day and then warm again Sunday at least for a day.

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/08/14 09:38 AM

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsOMeru8pxQ#t=23[/video]

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/09/14 05:07 PM

Well, the weather lady called for one inch of global warming, just looked out on the deck and three inches fell so far and it's snowing like crazy right now. Longest, coldest damned winter in my entire life.

Gary cool

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/09/14 05:14 PM

Our long term forecast calls for 25-30 cm (10-12 in) of wonderful white coming our way late Thursday.

It sure could make that weekend interesting.

Snow is piled up so much, it will be hard to find a place for it.

Ian

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/09/14 06:29 PM

I know exactly how you feel,Ian. When we lived in Spokane we had 100-inches of snow on the ground the first winter we loved there.

Gary

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/09/14 06:49 PM

I know exactly how you feel,Ian. When we lived in Spokane we had 100-inches of snow on the ground the first winter we loved there.

Gary

So it wasn't all bad, Gar...

Ian

PS...this is the worst winter we've had here in at least a decade...a lot of main sidewalks still not plowed from last weeks storm...the public works can't keep up with it.

Most dangerous part is the intersections, where the snow on either side is piled so high, you can't see the cars coming unless you pull out a bit into the road...makes for some interestingly quick exits or reversals, usually accompanied by uniquely expressive hand gestures from oncoming drivers. smile

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/09/14 07:13 PM

typo - should have said lived there. I loved there as well - that's where my daughter was born. It was a beautiful city, one of the most beautiful in the U.S.. But, that first winter was unreal. 100 vertical inches of snow, had to shovel the roof of the house off three times to prevent it from caving in from the weight of the snow. I have some photos from that time of my life, but my scanner is shot and I have no way of scanning them into the PC and posting them.

I drove a 57-Ford Econoline van back then, and had a 10-foot bicycle antenna mounted on the front bumper with a red ribbon on top. Every car in town had the same rig. This was for when we got to an intersection and it let other cars know there was someone coming out. When the snow melted that year, the Spokane River rose 20 feet. A Chinook wind hit sometime in mid March and you could watch the snow melt. It was pretty incredible to see that happen.

The following winter was relatively mild, temperatures rarely went below zero, and the snow was less than three feet. Unfortunately, the economy went to Hell that year, and the following year we returned to Maryland. The only industry there was logging, mining, agriculture, and education. There was, at the time, 7 colleges in that small town of 180,000 people.

I just went out and sprayed the snow blower with furniture wax to prevent the snow from sticking to the chute, which is problem with wet snows. Tomorrow morning ain't gonna be a picnic, but with just 3 inches of snow, I'm not gonna pay $100 for the snow plow guy to come.

Cheers,

Gary cool

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/09/14 07:54 PM

Good idea with the furniture wax...we used to spray it on our snow shovels, but putting it in the blower's chute is brilliant.

I usually wipe down the door rubbers in the car with WD-40 to keep them from freezing shut, and also put each windshield wiper in a plastic grocery bag so that it doesn't freeze to the glass.I always keep a few in my trunk for just this purpose. I just open a bag up and slide it over the wiper. Wrap it around a little bit with any openings facing downwards and you're done. It may not look elegant but it's better than spending 10 minutes trying to get the wipers off of the windshield and then breaking all the bits of ice off of the wipers

I'm definitely used to cold winter weather and dealing with it, but, as you say, some winters are unreal.

Also a great idea with the antenna on the front bumper.

Where I live, the town of Glace Bay (which means "Ice Bay"), was once called the "Big Town" as it was the biggest town in Canada. Several coal mines, a huge Steel Plant and Coke operation at nearby city of Sydney, a thriving fishing industry...all gone, mainly through political manipulation over the years.

But, the upside, is the town is cleaner and comfortable, and mainly a retirement community, and being retired, it's a nice place for me to live (and love, when I'm lucky...ha ha!)

One thing for sure...our seasonal climates aren't boring.

Ian

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/09/14 08:26 PM

Hi Gary. I drove to Havre de Grace this afternoon on a ham radio adventure. There is a 70 cm repeater system in Pa that links 15 repeaters together and you can talk all the way to New York. I wanted to get closer to the repeater which I did and was having an amazing qso with a half dozen guys when I had to bow out because the snowfall was too much to deal with and do something else as well. Oh well, once again, here comes tomorrow.

Joe confused1
Posted by: Jerryghr

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/10/14 07:03 AM

It was so cold today in Buffalo that I had to put on a longer pair of shorts. rotf2

JerryGHR

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/10/14 09:06 AM

It's not so much the snow here, it's the bone-chilling temps. My wife and I usually go out for a walk in the morning, but not today. It's -25 right now and was -33 overnight and the windchill was knocking that down a bit farther. I remember when we first came here and seeing the lakes still frozen over in May. Don't ask:)

We've got snow forecast for tomorrow night and the next couple of days, but it won't be in eastern proportions. And we don't get the wet heavy stuff, most of the moisture in it is wrung out by the Rockies. Anyway, it'll warm it up a bit.

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/10/14 09:07 AM

Oh, Ian will know this one, and it'll give you a laugh.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QsxV49pmnL8&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DQsxV49pmnL8

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/10/14 09:15 AM

Just got in from clearing the driveway and sidewalk - damned it's cold and damned I'm old! There was just 2 inches of snow on the ground from yesterday, but when your driveway is 300 feet long and all uphill, and today's high is just 29 degrees f, that snow would stay there till spring. Gotta go back to my real job tomorrow, playing music to the ladies. wink

Gary cool

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/10/14 09:38 AM

Just got in from clearing the driveway and sidewalk - damned it's cold and damned I'm old! There was just 2 inches of snow on the ground from yesterday, but when your driveway is 300 feet long and all uphill, and today's high is just 29 degrees f, that snow would stay there till spring. Gotta go back to my real job tomorrow, playing music to the ladies. wink

Gary cool

You should of waited gary........because this Wed into Thursdays Snow storm is gonna be a Humdinger! Again! mad

The 12Z GFS has continued the NW trend and now impacts NENJ, CNJ and SNJ with heavy snowfall and wind on Wednesday night-Thursday. I'm not buying such a sharp cutoff of precipitation to the NW though. Yes, it will cutoff somewhere but with sub-1000mb pressure, I think the precipitation shield will extend a bit further into NWNJ and Eastern PA. Either way, with all operational guidance on-board now, this is going to happen. The I-95 corridor between DC and Boston should be on high alert for possibly the strongest nor'easter we've seen this winter. Be safe!

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/10/14 09:53 AM

Gary Hold on baby!! Fill that snow blower up with gas lol...

That's a foot plus of snow from DC through NYC. Still looks to start late Wednesday last well into Thursday. That includes most of SWNJ, CNJ, and NENJ. Sharp cutoff for NWNJ but still a significant event. Marginal temperature issues would likely hold down accumulations for SENJ/Coastal NJ but everyone ends as accumulating snow. Expect media to run with it now. I'm going to the store tonight to get the Bread & Milk..!!. surprised

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/10/14 10:06 AM

Oh, Ian will know this one, and it'll give you a laugh.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QsxV49pmnL8&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DQsxV49pmnL8

Yep...not that far from the truth...

That storm Donny is talking about is the same one we'll be getting on the weekend.

Oh Joy!

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/10/14 10:43 AM

Donny, don't forget the toilet paper. wink

Gary cool

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/10/14 10:44 AM

Donny, don't forget the toilet paper. wink

Gary cool

This storm on Wed-Thurs could rival some of the storms we had in 2009-2010. buy a case lol

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/10/14 04:10 PM

The 18Z NAM has redonkulous amounts of snowfall by the end of Thursday. That's 20 inches from Baltimore along the NJTP and through NYC.

I'm not sure I agree with that much moisture but I think this axis of heavy snow is pretty close to how it's going to set up. Maybe just a little NW towards the Euro to bring a little more of Eastern PA and NWNJ into the jackpot zones. Mixing is likely in SENJ/Coastal NJ but should start and end as snow. If precipitation comes down hard enough, it will keep more of it snow. Everyone ready? You should be hearing about this in the news soon as the National Weather Service has already started to issue Winter Storm Watches. Be safe!

Gary I think your gonna hate winter a bit more after this baby!!! confused2 get the green margarita ready & Kickapoo joy juice!! eek2

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/10/14 04:21 PM

This is what living in the South is like:
We have snow or ice about one every two years. Forecast in Shreveport tonight is 50 percent chance of freezing rain, low of 28, warming to 40 by noon tomorrow. SO, they have already announced that all schools in Caddo Parish (County) will be closed!
Amazing.

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/10/14 06:26 PM

This is what living in the South is like:
We have snow or ice about one every two years. Forecast in Shreveport tonight is 50 percent chance of freezing rain, low of 28, warming to 40 by noon tomorrow. SO, they have already announced that all schools in Caddo Parish (County) will be closed!
Amazing.

When we went to school...blizzard in 1958, over 2 foot of snow and drifts more than 5 feet...we still had school smile

Thank heaven for those horse drawn buggies.. grin

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/10/14 06:48 PM

I remember that storm vividly, Fran. My sister has a photo of my brother standing next to a parking meter and only the top of the meter was showing. I was home on leave from the Navy, and because there were no buses running I couldn't get back to my ship for a week. Fortunately, they gave me a break and I didn't spend time in the brig for being AWOL.

Gary cool

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/10/14 07:05 PM

We walked eleven miles to school, uphill both ways. Had to carry six brothers and sisters on my back, of course we had no shoes. We made soup by melting snow and dropping a piece of licorice in it.
But our neighbors didn't have all this because they were poor.

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/10/14 07:07 PM

smile

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/10/14 07:29 PM

My son and I went down to the crek for a swim today. We got all the way up to 43 today. Freezing everyday since early December.

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/10/14 07:37 PM

We walked eleven miles to school, uphill both ways. Had to carry six brothers and sisters on my back, of course we had no shoes. We made soup by melting snow and dropping a piece of licorice in it.
But our neighbors didn't have all this because they were poor.

Me? I didn't grow up in the ghetto.....but we were going to move there as soon as we could afford it.

chas

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/10/14 08:45 PM

I saw a truck today. Side of the door it said, “Driver has no cash.”

I said, "I’m broke, too – but I don’t post it all over the side of my car."

When I was a kid, I went to school one cold winter day and showed up with one mitten.

The teacher said, "Did you lose a mitten?"

I said, "Nope, I found one!"

Ian

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/11/14 03:23 AM

My old neighborhood was so tough all the birds sang bass.

chas

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/11/14 03:54 AM

...and any cat with a tail, was considered a tourist.

Ian

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/11/14 07:03 AM

Geez, Chas, Ian, if we would have been as poor as you guys, I would have been the happiest kid in America.

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/11/14 08:55 AM

-19C/-2F here today. Positively balmy. Little bit of snow, but now the sun's coming out.

On being poor, when I was a kid the neighbours used to come round to read the curtains.

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/11/14 09:16 AM

Just checked a local weather source, the forecast is for 12 to 18 inches of snow, temperatures in the teens and down to the single digits. This winter has cost me 9 jobs that I could not reschedule for a later date, and they way it's going, I suspect it will cost me a few more. Unfortunately, the loss of income from those jobs cannot be deducted from out taxes as a loss because there is no category for that. However, having the driveway cleared by a snow removal company is tax deductible the same as having a shopping center parking lot cleared is deductible, but this is only true if you claim a home office. I know guys that WILL NOT claim a home office deduction for fear of being audited. Hey, if you comply with the law and do things legally, there's no reason for you to be audited. If you have a home office, claim it - it's deductible and can amount to a substantial savings in taxes each year.

All the best,

Gary cool

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/11/14 09:19 AM

After all the fuss about closing schools today, not a drop or flurry. They are doing the same thing for tomorrow! Ridiculous!

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/11/14 09:30 AM

I can relate to that, 124, we were made to eat our cereal with a fork to save on milk.

The neighbours weren't any better off...I had a ham sandwich next door, and the piece of ham was that thin, I bet the pig didn't even oink when they cut it off his bum.

Eventually, we were that poor...the mice left.

Ian

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/11/14 10:52 AM

A powerful nor'easter will ride up the coast and impact all of New Jersey starting late tomorrow night and lasting well into Thursday afternoon. Somewhere between I-81/I-84 in Eastern PA and just SE of 95 will likely see jackpot accumulations (12 inches of snow or more). SENJ/Coastal NJ will likely see mixing and/or a period of rain that will knock down final accumulations. Everyone ends as heavy accumulating snow though. I'll have another snow map out tonight with amounts. Expect that around 9PM. Be safe! surprised

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/11/14 11:46 AM

. . . and what's that got to do with being poor? smile

I remember mama taking me to KFC and letting me lick other peoples' fingers!

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/12/14 09:27 AM

I were so poor that I couldn't even pay attention!!

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/12/14 10:45 AM

The only thing poor in this thread is the quality of the jokes. grin

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/12/14 11:02 AM

Originally Posted By: brickboo
I were so poor that I couldn't even pay attention!!

I'm was so poor, I'd go to KFC and lick other peoples fingers. rotf2

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/12/14 11:16 AM

My grandpa took me into a really cheap greasy spoon diner one time.
There was a short-order cook that looked as if he hadn't had a clean shirt on in days. Cigarette hanging from his mouth, sweating profusely, he said "can I get you something?" My dad said "yes, bring us a coconut and a boiled egg, something you can't get your greasy hands on."
Grandpa was like that.
Jokes are getting worse.

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/12/14 02:34 PM

Well, Richmond, VA is getting snow as I type this, the weatherman here called for 11 to 14 inches here by mid day tomorrow and that'll kill another couple jobs. Hence the title of this thread - Damned I Hate Winter." At least I was able to fix the snow blower this morning, a little W-40 took care of a rusted auger drive cable and spring.

Cheers,

Gary cool

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/12/14 04:16 PM

surprised

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/12/14 07:21 PM

It is 1 degree Fahrenheit here, and a VERY COLD degree it is!

It is supposed to shoot up to 2 degrees by morning, and it is expected one of those two degrees will be slightly warmer than the other.

In other weather news, two couples from Glace Bay froze to death at the local Drive-In Theater...they went there to see "Closed For The Season".

And, skeletal remains were found in a tree in the Park, believed to be the winner of last summer's Hide-And-Seek contest.

But first a word from our sponsor, Koologg's, the makers of Ice Krispies..."they don't snap, crackle or pop...they just lie there and shiver".

Now, back to our weather eye, Donny, for the synopsis...

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/12/14 07:30 PM

Stay tuned to the PSR comedy hour. Lloyd

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/12/14 07:31 PM

Stay tuned to the PSR comedy hour. Lloyd

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/13/14 06:35 AM

confused2

what a mess here eek2
Posted by: KORG80

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/13/14 09:02 AM

Hope that misses Brampton Ontario. I was just starting to see my driveway again. Going to the fishing show tomorrow with a couple of friends. Get to think spring and summer for a day.

God bless,
Don

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/13/14 11:17 AM

I just finished clearing the sidewalk, all 128 feet of it. High winds caused the snow to drift to 3 feet in places, so it took me the better part of 2 hours to clear the sidewalk with a snow shovel.

I fired up the snow blower and tackled most of the driveway before blowing an auger drive belt. Called the snow plow guy and he said we're gonna get another 5 inches this afternoon and evening, so that'll kill tomorrow's double. The past two days of snow cost me $450, not counting another $100 for snow removal tomorrow morning.

Between the job losses, paying through the nose for snow removal, and incredibly high home heating oil and propane costs, this has to be one of the most expensive, longest and coldest winters I can recall in my 73 years on the planet. Next winter, I think I'll give all my winter jobs to Uncle Dave - he loves winter! He said so! wink The only people that I know that love this kind of weather are those that don't have to shovel snow, schools are closed and get paid even if they don't go to work because the road conditions are too bad for driving. Those are the folks that always seem to say "I love the change of seasons." Yeah -Right! The only change I like is when it's 75 degrees outside and the weatherman predicts a high of 80. I'll take that over what is forecasted for here now - 20 degrees will be today's high and we're gonna get at least another 5 inches of snow on top of the 18 we got last night.

Go make a snow man UD and post some photos of it,

Gary cool

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/13/14 11:19 AM

round two tonight again 6+'.. surprised

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/13/14 11:50 AM

Well, bless your heart, as we say in the South. I'm going out to play golf. I will take a light jacket in case it cools off. It's an even 60 degrees right now! smile

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/13/14 03:44 PM

I just finished clearing the sidewalk, all 128 feet of it. High winds caused the snow to drift to 3 feet in places, so it took me the better part of 2 hours to clear the sidewalk with a snow shovel.
I fired up the snow blower and tackled most of the driveway before blowing an auger drive belt.
Gary cool

DAMMIT, Gary, when the hell are you going to stop trying to tackle these huge snowfalls ??? ... you can't get to the gigs, so stay inside, drink some margaritas, and wait for the plow guy to do the drive way ... you ain't gettin' any younger, and we sure want you to keep gettin' older !!!

BTW ... apparently the snow blower knows when it's time to quit !!! wink

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/13/14 03:53 PM

Had to come to Hartford CT for some personal business and of course we are getting hit with the same storm ... pretty much 'room bound' at a Marriott Residence Inn ... wish I had taken the KB with me ... could have gotten in some practice time ... maybe even provide some entertainment in the dining area for tips ... keys singer laugh2

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/13/14 04:27 PM

It snowed 15 inches here in Phoenix, MD and it is espected to snow another 4 to 5 inches tonight mixed with sleet. So like Gary, no jobs today or tomorrow. I am lucky that I do have my 20 year old son at home and he is good about clearing the driveway and walkway. And I have my recently newfound hobby of ham radio which is very active during times like this to keep me busy. Has anyone seen spring out there anywhere?

Joe wave

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/13/14 04:40 PM

Joe we had a hint of Spring here in Western Colorado today. We went to the creck again for a swim. It got to 55° after being below freezing 99% of the time since early December.

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/13/14 04:53 PM

Joe, it was 85 today in Marathon. Guess it's spring there - the flowers are blooming, but they always are. wink

Gary cool

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/13/14 05:27 PM

confused2

here we go again now....

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/14/14 04:42 PM

Round three - another 1 to 3 inches of global warming tonight - we really need that. My daughter just left, got a couple yards up the driveway and that was it - solid ice from today's melting snow. Old dad had to trudge out to the shed, get a bucket of sand, then gingerly walk on the icy sidewalk to where she was stuck, spread sand over the ice and she was able to get out of the driveway. Damned winter is gonna kill this old fart!

Gary cool

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/15/14 08:09 AM

More to come: Seems like winter will never end and the ice age beginneth. wink

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/15/14 08:12 AM

There's the low down in North Carolina and the track it's going to take over the next 6-12 hours (red curve). As it travels from the Outer Banks, NC area to the region just SE of New England, it will rapidly strengthen. As this occurs, the line of freezing (white line) will move SE and offshore making it cold enough for everyone to snow and stick. Until then (which shouldn't occur until afternoon), the line of freezing cuts through NJ and will be working it's way SE. This is why the SE lighter blue and pink regions on my map from last night have less accumulations. I wouldn't expect areas along/SE of I-95 to go over to snow until later today though. This thing hasn't even started yet besides some light initial front-running precipitation. Be safe!

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/15/14 08:17 AM

It has been snowing here for the past hour - my house is right on the white line, and today's job is on the line as well, just a bit farther northeast.

Gary cool

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/15/14 09:44 AM

so glad my weathermen are on the job ... don't know how I'd ever get the scoop without them!
wink

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/15/14 10:34 AM

Yep...forecasts are okay, and we have two of the best, but I like finding out what the weather is like by looking out the window...sort of a minute by minute update.

Ian

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/15/14 10:38 AM

Yep...forecasts are okay, and we have two of the best, but I like finding out what the weather is like by looking out the window...sort of a minute by minute update.

Ian

yea just like the colonists did many years ago...especially when your out on the road and get caught in a blizzard unknowingly.. surprised

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/15/14 11:37 AM

Of course, you have to actually be out on the road...

All my work, if you call playing a beautifully sounding Tyros4 several hours a day "work", is now done at home.

If I do get back to gigging, I'm definitely not working over the winters.

According to Environment Canada, we are getting some nasty weather over the next few days....do I care?

Nope.

Ian

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/15/14 01:06 PM

so glad my weathermen are on the job ... don't know how I'd ever get the scoop without them!
wink

Yeah! They're a great help to those of us without access to TV, Radio, Internet, Ham Radio, or Telephone; in other words, those of us living in remote parts of Antarctica. Thanks Donny, keep up the good work.

smile

chas

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/15/14 01:18 PM

The low is now SE of the Jersey Shore. This has arranged the flow pattern (white arrow) in a way that's saturating the atmosphere. On radar we can see precipitation back-filling into Eastern PA. I don't expect this to back-fill any further west. It should actually start pulling away to the east now. Temperatures at all layers are crashing below freezing from NW to SE...so soon it won't be long until even SENJ is snow. I've circled the areas of highest precipitation. Expect accumulations to start now throughout the region. The Be safe!

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/15/14 02:41 PM

Fortunately, we only got a trace of snow, not enough to keep me at home. Just returned from the job, Uncle Dave is looking at his weather rock that I sold him last summer, and by the end of next week, the 28 inches of snow on my lawn should be down to a smidgeon. At least I hope so.

Cheers,

Gary cool

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/15/14 04:21 PM

Temperature plummeted here today. High was 72 yesterday, and never go past 65 today. frown Had to leave the windshield up on my golf cart!

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/16/14 07:45 AM

It Ain't over yet !!!!!... surprised

We now turn attention to this Tuesday. This is the 12Z Canadian showing another clipper but more of a direct NW hit instead of a coastal back-fill like today. It currently looks like a widespread 3-6 inch event for New Jersey...maybe 1-3/2-4 for SENJ. This winter just keeps on keeping on. Be safe!

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/16/14 07:47 AM

Same for here, but supposed to warm up by Thursday. 50s sure sounds good at this point.

Gary cool

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/16/14 09:15 AM

I really do feel for those of you getting hit so hard. We've only had a touch of it here, and don't like it at all. If it were real snow it might be different, but we normally get some freezing rain, which causes lots of problems.
Right now at 11 a.m. it is 58, on the way to 70 this afternoon. The big decision is whether to play golf or go fishing.

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/16/14 09:50 AM

Well, it was 28 here at 9 a.m., the snow melted down a bit during the past few days and is only two feet deep. That's why I'm in the office working in my income tax return. Damned sure wish I were out sailing in 70 degree weather instead.

Gary cool

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/16/14 11:37 AM

2-week North America Outlook: The first 15 days of February certainly came in like a lion trending the 2nd coldest and 2nd snowiest of the past 25+ years for the U.S. as a whole and 1st snowiest in 30 years for the Northeast.

THIS WEEK: a February thaw warm up with the U.S. as a whole trending the warmest and driest in 3 years and only some light snow the 17th in the Midwest, 18th in the Northeast and 21st in New England (none look particularly big). A big warm surge will sweep the U.S. mid-week but all good things come to an end with another Arctic Cold Front moving into the Plains the 21st, Midwest 23rd and off the East Coast by the 24th ushering in much colder weather for the Eastern 1/2 of North America.

WEEK 2: the month will end with the coldest conditions in 4 years and driest in 12 for the U.S. overall. Bigger snow events still very likely with the 27th in the Great Lakes a favored period and 28th for the entire Northeast (TBD on exact timing and amounts but we think March will bring much above average snowfall to the Great Lakes and Northeast). March 1st looks to come in like a lion with the coldest conditions for the U.S. overall in 18 years.

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/16/14 04:48 PM

From the highest of mountains, to the tallest of trees, comes the cry of the "Ga,Ga Bird," ga,ga,ga-damn it's cold up here.

Here's a little lagniappe. Who remembers what lagniappe is?

http://cajunenterprises.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Yes-Its-Me-And-Im-In-Love-Again.mp3

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/16/14 05:14 PM

surprised

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/16/14 05:36 PM

Another storm headed your way Monday night and Tuesday - gives me that warm fuzzy feeling.

Gary cool

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/16/14 06:16 PM

2-week North America Outlook: The first 15 days of February certainly came in like a lion trending the 2nd coldest and 2nd snowiest of the past 25+ years for the U.S. as a whole and 1st snowiest in 30 years for the Northeast.

THIS WEEK: a February thaw warm up with the U.S. as a whole trending the warmest and driest in 3 years and only some light snow the 17th in the Midwest, 18th in the Northeast and 21st in New England (none look particularly big). A big warm surge will sweep the U.S. mid-week but all good things come to an end with another Arctic Cold Front moving into the Plains the 21st, Midwest 23rd and off the East Coast by the 24th ushering in much colder weather for the Eastern 1/2 of North America.

WEEK 2: the month will end with the coldest conditions in 4 years and driest in 12 for the U.S. overall. Bigger snow events still very likely with the 27th in the Great Lakes a favored period and 28th for the entire Northeast (TBD on exact timing and amounts but we think March will bring much above average snowfall to the Great Lakes and Northeast). March 1st looks to come in like a lion with the coldest conditions for the U.S. overall in 18 years.

So - enjoy the brief warm up later this week as it won't last.

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/17/14 07:27 AM

"I'm starting to get a bit concerned about what short-range guidance is suggesting for tomorrow (coastal re-development). Here's the latest 12Z high-res NAM showing a lot more snow along and NW of the NJTP than what has been modeled all week. Will have to watch other short-range guidance and possibly make adjustments to the final thoughts snow map tonight. Be safe!"

I had to sadly cancel & reschedule Two gigs for tomorrow mad ....It would have been a long 1:45 min each way drive directly into this storm eek2 .I'd rather stay home & watch movies cool2 ..lol

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/18/14 05:10 AM

this morning here...... mad

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/18/14 06:21 AM

This is AMAZING I want them NOWWWWWWWW! clap clap clap

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/18/14 07:07 AM

Donny, studded tires were outlawed in the U.S. many years ago because they tore up the roadways. I had them on my van in 1965 and they were great. I drove on ice and snow, almost as if it were dry road. They were amazing. Sure wish I had them right now, but unfortunately, we'll never see them again.

Gary cool

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/18/14 07:51 AM

Fortunately, we only got 2 inches of snow last night, and I was able to clear the sidewalk in about 20 minutes. The driveway should melt off in a few hours and the temperature is up to 34 now, so with any kind of luck I'll be able to get out by 1 p.m. and go to my 2 p.m. job, which is only 8 miles from here.

Gary cool

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/18/14 07:59 AM

... as Gary said ...

http://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=151

the fact that these would be retractable is good, but how many drivers would remember to do it? ...

how about this:

https://www.google.com/#q=tire+chains&tbm=shop

I remember driving with tire chains ... a link would break and the chain would get all tangled around the wheel ... trying to free it up in freezing cold weather ... what a PITA !!! ...

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/18/14 08:43 AM

rocker

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/18/14 09:05 AM

... nothing to do but search the web, eh ? ... instead of wasting time doing that, sit down and record something for us to listen to !!! singer keys

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/21/14 02:24 PM

... so now we've got DENSE fog, and a THUNDERSTORM !!! ... man this weather is CRAZZEEEEeeeee crazy

at least it's not more snow - for NOW, anyway ...

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/21/14 02:28 PM

Yeah, we had heavy thundershowers here this morning, a tornado warning, now the sun is out and the temperature is falling like a stone. Supposed to get snow again by the end of next week - WTF!

Gary cool

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/21/14 02:36 PM

This is an interesting explanation of how the snowy winter in most parts of the USA as well as the complete lack of winter in Central Europe could be connected to climate change. The changed pattern of the jet stream just causes much longer periods of extreme weather, so next year it could just be the opposite depending on which side of the jet stream wave strikes your region. I hope this model will prove wrong...

http://nation.time.com/2014/02/15/tired-of-endless-winter-blame-changing-jet-stream/

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/21/14 02:47 PM

Cold spell here. High was only 64 today, but at least there was no wind. Fish are moving into the shallow water to spawn. Feeling sorta frisky myself. smile

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/21/14 03:00 PM

more snow Tuesday and Wednesday

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/22/14 08:11 AM

German and Dutch skiing tourists desperately exploiting the last remainders of snow in the Sauerland montains today...

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/25/14 09:38 AM

IT'S BACK! Woke up this morning thinking I was going to have a normal day, do a 1-hour job, come home take life easy. The snow began falling at about 8 a.m., weather guy said maybe 1/2 inch at most - the weather guy tends to lie a lot. It's still coming down, about 2 inches deep and hopefully, it will soon end, at least according to the weather map. Then I have to go out and fire up the snow blower - Damned man-made global warming is gonna cause me to freeze me to death. It's just 26 degrees outside so this stuff ain't gonna melt off.

Gary cool

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/25/14 09:41 AM

IT'S BACK! Woke up this morning thinking I was going to have a normal day, do a 1-hour job, come home take life easy. The snow began falling at about 8 a.m., weather guy said maybe 1/2 inch at most - the weather guy tends to lie a lot. It's still coming down, about 2 inches deep and hopefully, it will soon end, at least according to the weather map. Then I have to go out and fire up the snow blower - Damned man-made global warming is gonna cause me to freeze me to death. It's just 26 degrees outside so this stuff ain't gonna melt off.

Gary cool

Job cancelled for 2"? or? confused1 im headingit out in the flakes baby for a nice double! dance2

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/25/14 09:43 AM

The 12Z Canadian = KABOOOOM for next Tuesday!

We're just getting into the 7-day window so it has to be mentioned. Just keep in mind that tomorrow's light event was once modeled as a bigger snow storm too. As I've said, the overall pattern is changing which greatly impacts the models. Take this with the grain of salt but...yeah, model consensus indicates a high-impact snow storm in the March 3-4 window. Will watch track for next 3-4 days before even thinking about making a snow map. Be safe!

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/25/14 09:54 AM

Donny, keep in mind that you live in the flatlands of New Jersey - there's nothing flat in my part of the world. I'm out in the sticks, winding roadways, lots of hills and valleys, steep grades, etc... Not much different than living in the foothills of the mountains. It's a totally different ballgame when confronted with snow and ice covered roads in this area.

Gary cool

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/25/14 10:01 AM

Donny, keep in mind that you live in the flatlands of New Jersey - there's nothing flat in my part of the world. I'm out in the sticks, winding roadways, lots of hills and valleys, steep grades, etc... Not much different than living in the foothills of the mountains. It's a totally different ballgame when confronted with snow and ice covered roads in this area.

Gary cool

Yes Gray I remember your beautiful house very well wink I can understand your driving concerns, be safe,.....rollin, rollin, roliin, isn't that a song? confused2

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/25/14 01:02 PM

Then I have to go out and fire up the snow blower -

Gary cool

no you don't ... that plow guy is still looking for work ... life is all about choices ... confused1

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/25/14 01:35 PM

Got lucky with this one so far, the sun came out and melted the snow from the driveway and sidewalk. But unfortunately, too late in order to get out and do the job.

Gary cool

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/25/14 05:12 PM

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/25/14 06:50 PM

Gary to make a batch of margaritas and relax baby! cool2

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/25/14 07:02 PM

I just about finished my second Green Coconut Margaretta of the night - might have to make a short one before hitting the sack, though. Also just looked at the weekend forecast on Weather Underground, which has been real accurate this year - another 1 to 3 inches for Monday, enough to cancel Monday night's Italian Restaurant job. Oh well, just part of the deal around this part of the world. That's OK, though. The restaurant jobs pay the same now as they did 40 years ago, so it's not a major loss of income.

Cheers,

Gary cool

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/25/14 07:39 PM

1 to 3 inches and they are cancelling??? What wimps!

tell him, Ian ... rotfl

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/25/14 08:08 PM

Tony, we live in one of the most traffic congested areas of the United States. Lots of older folks come to this restaurant to enjoy the music and dance. However, they got old because they don't take chances driving in the snow and freezing rain - how do you think I got this old? wink

Gary cool

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/26/14 05:46 AM

its snowing on the shore now Grrrrrr! mad

Here comes the clipper for the morning. This should start by sunrise and clear by afternoon. Again, CNJ and SNJ should see more snowfall than NNJ. All levels necessary to support stickage are below freezing so no problems with temps. The key to how much snow NJ will get will depend on the interaction with a low pressure system southeast and out to sea. If there is more interaction then the precipitation shield will fill in and concentrate, delivering the higher range of accumulations. If there is less interaction then there's a better chance of a fizzle/dusting. The system that hit DC this morning over-performed. Just saying.

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/26/14 09:02 AM

Just cleared a couple inches of clipper off the driveway and sidewalk so I can make today's job. Of course, the snow plows hit the streets and promptly shoved two feet into the top of my driveway, which I just got finished clearing. Think I'll wait for that hillbilly SOB when the next snowfall hits. I'll be waiting with a shotgun at the top of the driveway. Damned I cannot stand stupidity and thoughtlessness. My neighborhood is filled with elderly people that all have medical issues. It would have only taken the push of a lever to turn the plow blade so this would not happen at every driveway.

Gary cool

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/26/14 09:18 AM

I'm staying inside until it warms up again here. Had my bass boat all ready to go but had the medical problems while the temps were in the 70s. It was below freezing last night and supposed to get into the 20s tonight. High today maybe 50. BRRRRR! Guess I'll set the PA900 up and entertain myself.

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/26/14 02:36 PM

Just heard on the local news that we can expect single digit temperatures here tonight, so I brought the keyboard in from the van to be on the safe side.

Gary cool

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/26/14 03:01 PM

... atta boy, Gary ...

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/27/14 08:33 AM

Showing a major snow storm through Philadelphia and NYC...crushes NNJ and CNJ while still bringing significant accumulations to SNJ after a changeover/mixing. This is total snowfall over the next 114 hours (through the early AM hours of Tuesday morning). This system would start Sunday evening around/after sunset. You should start hearing about this from mainstream media and larger weather outlets soon. Model analysis continues. Be safe! surprised confused2

Here we go again!!

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/27/14 06:59 PM

I might lose a NICE 6 hour gig on Monday depending on what happens with this storm ! ... mad

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/27/14 09:56 PM

surprised

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/28/14 06:40 AM

March is not coming in like a lion..it's coming in like an avalanche at Warp Speed! This snow storm set up is a classic "over-running" case where mild air to the south rides up and over cold Arctic air at the surface creating a very large band of heavy snow. What's unusual is the widespread coverage from Kansas to New Jersey and the prolonged 48-60 hour event. Models show several "waves" of low pressure moving along this front this weekend into early Tuesday next week so timing will be nearly impossible as there could be several periods of heavier snow with lulls in between. The total 2-day accumulations look to be 12"+ in many areas from KS to NJ. The difference between 12" and rain is likely less than 50 miles so where the exact line sets up is not 100% certain but most likely from Southern Missouri to Southern Delaware will be rain and the further north of that line all snow to heavy snow. The tail end of the storm could bring lighter 1-4” amounts in parts of the Northern Southeast and even Central Virginia next week. This is going to be a record shattering snowy start to March - surprised

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/28/14 07:55 AM

Well I'm off to some Bass Fishing this morning then a round of golf a 11AM and a dip in the creek around 2 PM. 65 again today at 4750 ft alt. on the Western Slope of the Great Rocky mountains.

Man it could stay between 60 and 65 for me forever. I hate 20 and I'm very uncomfortable above 70, especially if I'm dressed neat and have to carry music equipment.

I'm as happy as a hog in the slop sty, today again at least !!!

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/28/14 08:04 AM

Weather forecast was revised here this morning for up to a foot of snow Sunday/Monday - that'll kill at least four more jobs.

Gary cool

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/28/14 08:08 AM

Weather forecast was revised here this morning for up to a foot of snow Sunday/Monday - that'll kill at least four more jobs.

Gary cool

just reschedule and whip up a batch of margaritas.... cool2
this aint gonna be fun Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 02/28/14 10:17 AM

it's official my Monday $$$$ gig has been cancelled ... mad

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 03/01/14 11:50 AM

surprised

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 03/01/14 11:57 AM

I can take the snow ... just can't stand the weather alerts!

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 03/01/14 12:30 PM

Dave, if I recall, don't they close the schools where you live when they get a bad snow storm? If that's the case, don't you get to stay home and still get paid? wink My children always used to say how much they liked the snow. School closed and they got to stay home, sleigh ride, make snow forts, have snowball battles, build snowmen, and when they got cold them came inside, warmed up in front of the wood stove that good ol dad kept stoked up and hot for them, then mom fixed them a big bowl of homemade soup. Under those circumstances, what's not to like? Now they're much older and both hate snow as much as I do. They're now the ones shoveling their own sidewalks, driveways, and my 6-1/2-year-old grandson says "Pop-pop, I love snow." Gee I wonder why? wink

Just sayin'

Gary cool

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 03/01/14 12:43 PM

I can take the snow ... just can't stand the weather alerts!

without the alerts people could die out there in the cold, snow, hurricane tornado etc, ....alerts is a good thing for everyone concerned....so many have no clue what about to happen during any storm until it's too late. Spread the word save a life. cool2

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 03/01/14 01:10 PM

Weather forecast just got updated here for 8 to 12 inches of snow Sunday night and into Monday. Maybe, with luck I'll make Wednesday's jobs. Yeah, I'm doin a double, playing catchup for the ones lost during the last storm.

Gary cool

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 03/01/14 02:00 PM

Weather forecast just got updated here for 8 to 12 inches of snow Sunday night and into Monday. Maybe, with luck I'll make Wednesday's jobs. Yeah, I'm doin a double, playing catchup for the ones lost during the last storm.

Gary cool

oh baby we gonna get slammed again....8-14" eek2

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 03/01/14 04:34 PM

mad

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 03/02/14 10:52 AM

Here in Germany, the complete lack of winter has now resulted in a crazy phenomenon: the first CANOLA fields are beginning to bloom in yellow - usually typical for the beginning of MAY...

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 03/02/14 12:57 PM

... so, due to the forecasts of IMPENDING DOOM from another "MAJOR" snowfall, on Friday, the client for my lucrative $$$$ 6 hour gig on Monday cancelled ... now the forecast has been changed to 1 to 2 INCHES, but there is no way the client can reverse the decision ... frown mad frown

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 03/02/14 01:17 PM

Tony, it's raining cats and dogs here right now, but a cold front is approaching, the temperature fell from 44 to 39 in less than two hours and in another few hours all this rain will change over to snow - about 12 to 14 inches of it. Next year, I'll be talking to you guys from my laptop while enjoying the sunshine of the Florida Keys. I won't care if the snow gets aSS deep to an elephant. wink

Gary cool

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 03/02/14 01:21 PM

To account for trending in short-range model guidance, I've shifted everything south by about 20 miles. It's now live-casting time. This keeps most of Ocean and Burlington County on south through Cape May County in the heavier accumulation axis. The spread is 8-14 because there is that much uncertainty. Most of SNJ will start as rain this evening before changing over to snow. This will happen quickly once the frontal boundary crashes south (before midnight). It should be snowing in SNJ by 10PM. This storm should then dump snow from Midnight through tomorrow afternoon and taper off by tomorrow night. The bottom line here is that NNJ will see the least snow, CNJ will see significant-to-heavy snow, and SNJ will hit the jackpot. Be safe!

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 03/02/14 01:37 PM

The center of that 8 to 14-inch band goes through my neighborhood - you know I'm gonna get hammered - AGAIN!

Gary cool

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 03/02/14 01:43 PM

The center of that 8 to 14-inch band goes through my neighborhood - you know I'm gonna get hammered - AGAIN!

Gary cool

Gary warm up your snow blower now and hang on baby!

oh yeah and make a batch of Kickapoo Joy Juice too & watch Academy Awards later!!!

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 03/02/14 01:58 PM

I would rather sit outside in the cold dark night naked than watch the Academy Awards.

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 03/02/14 02:13 PM

I would rather sit outside in the cold dark night naked than watch the Academy Awards.

not a Movie goer Don?

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 03/02/14 02:56 PM

I like good movies as much as anyone. I don't care to watch overdressed, overpainted, overpriced "celebrities" act surprised when they get an award and act glad when someone else gets it.
Just no interest, that's all. May be some Andy Griffith reruns on somewhere!
I'd rather listen to really bad arranger recordings even. smile

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 03/02/14 04:11 PM

Geez, I'm gonna stay snuggled here at my 5000 foot altitude 65 degrees and forget about living near Gary and DNJ and making all those big bucks. I wouldn't shovel that much snow for all of the tea leaves in China.

Don, DNJ people really still watch those award shows with all of the weirdos making movies. Geez, I can't believe it. Grown men watch it too?

I'm sticking with Lonesome Dove, Open Range, Gunsmoke, True Grit, Big Jake, Randolph Scott and anything with a football, a horse or a cowboy hat. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 03/02/14 04:51 PM

If you paid me to watch the Academy Awards I still would watch them.

Donny, got lots of Margaretta mix on hand, so I'm good for about four days till the next job. I just fired up the snow blower and sprayed wax into the blades and chute so it doesn't jam up when the snow stops and I have all that fun clearing the driveway and sidewalk. Tony, don't worry about me, I'll play it safe. wink

Gary cool

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 03/02/14 06:27 PM

Tony, don't worry about me, I'll play it safe. wink
Gary cool

Gary, I'll ALWAYS worry about you ...

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 03/03/14 05:51 AM

mad

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 03/03/14 06:47 AM

Do those vehicles EVER move from those spots ?!? ... do YOU ever move from that spot ?!?!? ... crazy laugh2

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 03/03/14 07:15 AM

Do those vehicles EVER move from those spots ?!? ... do YOU ever move from that spot ?!?!? ... crazy laugh2

thats "SNOW PARKING" around here our 13th snow storm this year I stick my head out the door and take a pic..lol..bumper to bumper gotta stay off the streets during a snow emergency so they can plow the streets....what a mess here again eek2

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 03/03/14 07:35 AM

... as I said earlier, the forecast of 'snow doom' doomed a very lucrative gig for me today ... mad woke up this morning to a 1/2 inch dusting and no gig ...
On the bright side - there HAS to be a bright side - there is nothing to plow or shovel ...

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 03/03/14 07:56 AM

... as I said earlier, the forecast of 'snow doom' doomed a very lucrative gig for me today ... mad woke up this morning to a 1/2 inch dusting and no gig ...
On the bright side - there HAS to be a bright side - there is nothing to plow or shovel ...

It finally stopped at least here we got 8+ inches just spent 30 min shoveling the driveway and cars etc ....man Im getting too old for this snow crap Argggggg!

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 03/03/14 09:36 AM

[quote=Uncle Dave]I can take the snow ... just can't stand the weather alerts!

Donny, You know I love ya, but I was actually referring to YOUR alerts! We all have access to the weather channel, with pics and graphs etc ... no need to assume that we need to hear it on a music forum.
smile

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 03/03/14 09:47 AM

[quote=Uncle Dave]I can take the snow ... just can't stand the weather alerts!

Donny, You know I love ya, but I was actually referring to YOUR alerts! We all have access to the weather channel, with pics and graphs etc ... no need to assume that we need to hear it on a music forum.
smile

at least they are on topic & with 24,141 views I think people are interested?... wink hows the snow up your way today?

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 03/03/14 09:48 AM

Snow - 1(ish) inch, AND THEY STILL CLOSED SCHOOL.
grrrr

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 03/03/14 09:50 AM

Snow - 1(ish) inch, AND THEY STILL CLOSED SCHOOL.
grrrr

Im a big believer in "snow day lessons" on the internet at home....common this is 2014....otherwise you'll be teaching in July lol..

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 03/03/14 09:56 AM

Just cleared six inches of manmade global warming from 300 feet of driveway and 128 feet of sidewalk. The snow was dry enough so that the snow blower made just a 2-hour job of doing the driveway, and the sidewalk only took 30 minutes with the shovel.

Dave, Donny is right - everyone is interested in the weather, and while there's absolutely nothing we can do about it, weather, especially nasty weather, is something that effects us all. For some of us, we lose money because we cannot go to work. For a significant number of individuals, they have to pay close attention to severe weather conditions when there is a possibility of a medical emergency. Yeah, I know, you LOVE snow - enjoy!

Gary cool

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 03/03/14 12:21 PM

Here you can see global warming: I took this photo today, a canola field which should bloom in May instead of beginning of March. Two months ahead - incredible. Remember I'm on the 51st degree of latitude (like Calgary). Maybe the snow will hit us in Central Europe next winter...

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 03/03/14 01:37 PM

Wow! Nothing growing here for a while yet. Just coming out of a cold snap. Windchills last night were pushing -40.

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 03/09/14 03:24 PM

Crazy temperature record for early March today in the western parts of Germany: up to 75 F (exactly 24.4 C), along with desert-like low humidity. This air must have come right from the Sahara...

http://www.t-online.de/nachrichten/panor...turrekorde.html

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 03/09/14 04:47 PM

Yesterday, it was 63 degrees f here - today, the high was 38. Spring yesterday, winter again today.

Gary cool

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 03/10/14 08:23 AM

Sunny for the next week, temps are: 6, 6, 10, 4, 5, 10, 11. Nice!

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 03/10/14 10:17 AM

124 ... I ass-u-me those are celsius numbers ..Local forecast - Rhode Island - for today and next 2 days is for high temps to be 45; 56; 48; (F) and then on Thursday the high will be 27 with the potential for 4 - 8 inches of snow ... so just when we would start to feel like Spring is coming, ol' man winter is going to say "not so fast ..."

frown

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 03/10/14 11:29 AM

124 ... I ass-u-me those are celsius numbers ..Local forecast - Rhode Island - for today and next 2 days is for high temps to be 45; 56; 48; (F) and then on Thursday the high will be 27 with the potential for 4 - 8 inches of snow ... so just when we would start to feel like Spring is coming, ol' man winter is going to say "not so fast ..."

frown

Yup, in C. The range there is 39 to 52F. Not bad when a week ago the windchills were -40 (that's the same in either language).

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 03/13/14 05:27 AM

surprised

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 03/17/14 04:28 AM

5 inches snowq so far now & still snowin here.......Grrrrrrrrrrr!
It ain't a happy St Pattys day so far mad
Posted by: Stephenm52

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 03/17/14 06:02 AM

Yikes feel bad for you guys. My wife and I are spending the month of March/first week of April in Ocala, Florida. We aren't too happy becuase it's raining, but 64 degrees guess the rain beats snow. If we weren't here to tend to family matters with some very sick elders we'd be up in New England freezing our butts off as well.

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 03/17/14 06:07 AM

Happy St Shovel Day !!!

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 03/17/14 06:51 AM

WOW ... fortunately this storm goes out to sea before it goes North so we will not get it ... long range has 60% chance of next snow 'event' a week from Wednesday ...
... and the hits just keep a'comin' ...

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 03/17/14 07:51 AM

Originally Posted By: Stephenm52

Yikes feel bad for you guys. My wife and I are spending the month of March/first week of April in Ocala, Florida. We aren't too happy becuase it's raining, but 64 degrees guess the rain beats snow. If we weren't here to tend to family matters with some very sick elders we'd be up in New England freezing our butts off as well.

Steve ... this storm is going to miss us, but it is 20 degrees and windy so it goes right through you ... I don't feel bad for YOU !!! wink ... at least you don't have to shovel rain ...

Hope all is going well down there ...

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 03/17/14 08:03 AM

Five to six inches here last night, it's still coming down, but very light now. Unfortunately, I blew my knee out a couple days ago and can barely walk, so the snow plow guy gets to make another $100. So far this year, 16 jobs lost to snow and you can't deduct the losses on your income tax return.

Gary cool

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 03/17/14 08:30 AM

Gary ... what does "blew my knee out" mean exactly? ... and how the heck did you do it???

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 03/17/14 08:34 AM

Tony, the orthopedic surgeon says I have a bone spur where the tendon attaches to the top of the femur which is punching into the tendon. I didn't do anything, it just happened to flare up and hurts so bad I can barely walk. This getting old crap sucks.

Gary cool

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 03/17/14 08:40 AM

Gary, I wouldn't live there and put up with that crap unless you'd put the New Orleans seafood along with red beans and rice, the gumbos etc, and you'd positively have to move the Western Slope of the Rockies there too.

On second thought I'll stay here or move back to New Orleans. Why do people live there? There's more to life than making money playing music. Man there's the best mountain fishing here on earth, hiking the mountains, searching for dinosaur bones on the desert 1/2 hour away, skiing at 10,00o feet in the mountains 1 hour away, biking the Kokopelli Trail from here to Moab Utah, driving to all the old Doc Holiday little towns and the list goes on and on.

Man with snow 6 months out of the year your place must be boring. No wonder you gig 7 days a week. There's must not be anything else to do but sail a few weeks a year.

You need to move here to Paradise. I shoveled a total of possibility 12 inches of snow in 3" amounts maybe.

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 03/17/14 08:54 AM

Boo, I get to sail from April to November, then winter hits, and this has been the longest, coldest, snowiest winter I ever endured in my 73 years on planet Earth. The only place I would consider living is south Florida, mainly the keys.

Gary cool

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 03/17/14 09:36 AM

Yea but you have to stay on the water under a canvas topped boat or either indoors, or you will die of heat stroke. The whole of Florida is for the old farts who just watch I Love Lucy all day in side. Oh and incidentally the $300 - $400 bill for the air conditioner running 24-7 is a killer on SS. Mostly people who are still working or retired Air Force Colonels live there. LOL Ask Eddie if ya think I don't know what I'm talking about. Ha ha.

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 03/17/14 09:48 AM

Boo, I already spent $500 on snow removal this winter, plus lost nearly $3,000 in snow cancellations. I'll take that Florida Sun every day over this lousy winter.

Gary

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 03/17/14 11:36 AM

Originally Posted By: Stephenm52

... this storm is going to miss us, but it is 20 degrees and windy so it goes right through you ... I don't feel bad for YOU !!! wink ... at least you don't have to shovel rain ...

Hope all is going well down there ...

Tony glad to hear you are dodging the snow, but 20, that's another story. Really huge temp flucuations here last week, one morning here at 7, it was 35 and we needed winter coats and hats while out out walking. By 1 PM we were in short sleeves and shorts.....go figure.

Going pretty well all things considered. Family down here is in rough shape we visit my uncle just about every other day in the NH, my father in law with macular eye problems doesn't get out much anymore. We have been getting him out of the house as much as possible. Makes you appreciate what good health means.

Can't get away from RI though we met 3 different people at different places who are from of all places Woonsocket. One guy tells us the only reason he visits RI anymore is Wright's Farm Chicken dinners and the NY System Weiners in Olneyville Square cool

We're staying at my uncle's place, the photo you see I took yesterday when it was 81 and sunny is looking out the patio onto the 4 th hole fairway of the on premise golf course. Maybe I should take up golfing?

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 03/17/14 01:01 PM

Steve ... you REALLY know how to hurt a guy !!!

I only WISH I would need a coat and hat at 7AM and wear shorts and a short sleeve shirt in the afternoon !!!

Sorry to hear about the family problems, hope it all works out ...

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 03/18/14 04:08 AM

Steve ... you REALLY know how to hurt a guy !!!

I only WISH I would need a coat and hat at 7AM and wear shorts and a short sleeve shirt in the afternoon !!!

Sorry to hear about the family problems, hope it all works out ...

T,
Thanks and if makes you feel any better yesterday there were hard rains that I haven't seen back up north in a few years.

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 03/18/14 06:24 AM

like I have said before "you don't have to shovel rain" ... laugh2
... stay dry my friend ... grin

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 03/20/14 08:06 AM

Again 72F (21.5 C) here in north west Germany. Won't take long and the apple trees will bloom (normally due a lot later on April 30 here).

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 03/20/14 08:09 AM

First Day Of Spring!!

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 03/20/14 08:22 AM

Spring equinox, the day when night is equal to day, and the weather forecast for next Tuesday is the possibility of freezing rain or snow - wonderful!

Gary cool

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 03/20/14 03:09 PM

Only 10 inches of snow left even on some German lower-Alps mountains such as Brauneck (altitude 5,300 feet).
Today, the Foehn wind ate up a lot of snow, but provided a spectacular view 60 miles north up to Munich. Look at this, you can even see a starting jet from the airport north of Munich:

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 03/20/14 03:13 PM

... that's a cool (no pun intended) picture, rosetree ...

Re: Damned I hate winter.... - 04/02/14 11:34 AM

Digging out this thread although winter is really over... temperatures are really going crazy above average in Germany - today I had to turn on the air conditioning in my car, which I never did so early in April before. Tomorrow the southwest of Germany is to reach 79F. The apple blossom has been out for a week, a lot of trees are already LOSING their blossoms again, big poplar trees are getting green already (normally mid May), and there are loads of wasps and bees flying around. I guess the bad part of our complete lack of winter will be a lot of pests and insects in summer, and the further spread of subtropical plants and insects which cause problems for endemic species...