SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#38414 - 12/13/00 04:05 PM Measuring sound levels
tails Offline

What is the most accurate way of measuring sound levels? Example, if there was a rock gig or rave going on down the street how can I measure that level... accurately. Let's say I DON'T have professional equipment.
I do have a Behringer MX2004A mixer and a Sony Minidisc recorder. Can I use a simple mic like a SM57? Also what sort of readings should I take? If it's digital it would be below 0dB and analogue would be above 0dB. Am I right? Any feedback is much appreciated. Thanks.

#38415 - 01/08/01 01:20 PM Re: Measuring sound levels
RKB Offline

Loc: Easton, PA USA
Not quite sure what you're trying to accomplish here. Do you just want to measure the sound level or do you want to record it?

If you just want to measure the sound level, head down to Radio Shack and buy a Sound Pressure Level (SPL) meter. You can pick one up for under $50, and it's useful to have around for all sorts of different things!

I don't think you want to try to record it, especially from that distance. The ambient noise you're going to pick up is going to skew your SPL readings anyway.

And to answer your last question, yes, you are correct. According to theory, no higher than 0dB for digital, while analog can jump above 0dB occasionally (but you should still stick as close to 0dB as possible). I say in theory because in reality, you've got about 6dB of headroom in the digital domain. I've been able to record tracks in my home studio with the meters nearly pegged at 0dB with no clipping whatsoever. Of course, that doesn't give the mastering people much room to work with....

#38416 - 01/25/01 01:32 PM Re: Measuring sound levels
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by RKB:
Not quite sure what you're trying to accomplish here. Do you just want to measure the sound level or do you want to record it?

If you just want to measure the sound level, head down to Radio Shack and buy a Sound Pressure Level (SPL) meter. You can pick one up for under $50, and it's useful to have around for all sorts of different things!

I don't think you want to try to record it, especially from that distance. The ambient noise you're going to pick up is going to skew your SPL readings anyway.

And to answer your last question, yes, you are correct. According to theory, no higher than 0dB for digital, while analog can jump above 0dB occasionally (but you should still stick as close to 0dB as possible). I say in theory because in reality, you've got about 6dB of headroom in the digital domain. I've been able to record tracks in my home studio with the meters nearly pegged at 0dB with no clipping whatsoever. Of course, that doesn't give the mastering people much room to work with....

I had the exact same question...(sort of)
I'd like to record our minister during service and wish to know the best way to do it. In church the sound guy can give me a stereo line out from the mixer. Would I plug the line into the SPL meter and check db?

Any help is appreciated.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online