Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#383881 - 02/05/14 03:24 PM Yamaha Tyros 4 vs Tyros 5 Video
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA

#383883 - 02/05/14 03:43 PM Re: Yamaha Tyros 4 vs Tyros 5 Video [Re: Eric, B]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Not sure that the difference would make me sell a T4.

Maybe if I was a theater organist! I can't tell you how many calls a day I get to be one of those!

Baby steps, as usual from Yamaha... But at least, compared to Roland, ALL of the steps are in the forward direction!

If I had a T2, it would be a no-brainer, maybe even a T3 (if I'm well heeled), but T4 to T5? That's a tougher decision.

#383894 - 02/05/14 04:12 PM Re: Yamaha Tyros 4 vs Tyros 5 Video [Re: Eric, B]
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
I see what Ian means . The T4 sounds much warmer in that comparrison to the T5. I actually prefer the sound of the T4 . It's a great time to pick up a used T4 . If Only I just could live with its limitations compared to what I already own .

Edited by spalding1968 (02/05/14 04:14 PM)

#383895 - 02/05/14 04:15 PM Re: Yamaha Tyros 4 vs Tyros 5 Video [Re: spalding1968]
Dnj Offline

I prefered the T4 in this comparison for sure... headphone

#383904 - 02/05/14 05:39 PM Re: Yamaha Tyros 4 vs Tyros 5 Video [Re: Eric, B]
Diki Offline

T4 was wetter. Not sure there was much more than that. Slather as much reverb on the T5 that's on the T4, I'm not sure there would be as much perceived difference in basic 'sound'...

For me, drying up the sound is a big improvement. I usually play in fairly lively environments. Maybe if you are in a carpeted, sofa'd and draped living room, you are noticing the sound not as 'big' as it used to be. But it is fixable.

Mind you, thast brings me back to a feature I REALLY wish all arrangers (and everything else) had... A simple adjustment to overall reverb levels at the 'Master' level. If each reverb's main 'Level' parameter could be offset by a global setting, it would allow us to adjust the sound of the entire arranger in ONE easy step, and tune the arranger to the room it currently sits in.

There's just no way, basically, that ONE overall reverb amount is going to please everybody. Some need more, some need less. But currently, the ONLY way to adjust it is to edit every single style, sequence, and OTS setting. That's an ENORMOUS amount of work. When ONE master control could do it in one go...

I'd sure like to see this.

#383907 - 02/05/14 06:49 PM Re: Yamaha Tyros 4 vs Tyros 5 Video [Re: spalding1968]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: spalding1968
I see what Ian means . The T4 sounds much warmer in that comparrison to the T5. I actually prefer the sound of the T4 . It's a great time to pick up a used T4 . If Only I just could live with its limitations compared to what I already own .

Yep, despite differences in reverb, the Tyros4 sounds mellower. I took in a lot of my styles, and the OTS would bring up the same voices and effects on the Tyros5, as well as the same parts (and their settings and effects) in the styles.

Now, if I was going the other way, the Tyros4 may not "see" the same instruments and settings due to T5's new voices, so probaly harder to make the comparison that way. I will try it, if I get the chance.

The difference may not jump out at a person who doesn't play Yamaha instruments a lot, but, I do, and there is a distinct enough difference to my ears to be able to say the Tyros4 is mellower, or warmer.

The T4 still has all the detail I like so much, and the Tyros5 is far from being harsh or hard.

Let's put it this way...if I had to get a Tyros5 for some logical reason...say Fran borrowed my Tyros4 and loved it so much he wouldn't give it back...I know I'd be very content with the Tyros5, and I'm sure I could get it sounding mellower, much like the Tyros4.

Conversely, there is a HUGE amount of tweaking available in the Tyros4, with the Filter, Master EQ, extensive Compressor settings, Main Voice, and Style Voice Filters and EQ's, and I might be able to get it sounding a bit more like the Tyros5.

But, I do believe their overall basic sound is definitely different, especially out of the box.

One thing for sure...my buddy sure loves the Tyros5-76...he says it's the "Lexus of arrangers".

I have to agree with him...it is pretty posh. If you want a great sounding, deluxe feeling semi-weighted 76'er, it's a great choice.

Ian

PS...I also found the PSR-S910 mellower than the S950 (and almost identical to the S750), when played through the same system. It may be different D/A converters, and maybe that's the reason for the above variations as well.

#383920 - 02/05/14 10:30 PM Re: Yamaha Tyros 4 vs Tyros 5 Video [Re: Dnj]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj
I prefered the T4 in this comparison for sure... headphone

You put hot coffee in a Thermos flask and it stay hot, you put cold liquid in a Thermos flask and it stays cold, how the freak does it know.

Come on Doony how do you know which is better, you ain't got a T4 or for that matter a T5, subjective hey!!

This crappy clip is not living proof, I thought our roving reporter would have a bit more subject matter for us.
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#383921 - 02/05/14 11:14 PM Re: Yamaha Tyros 4 vs Tyros 5 Video [Re: Tony Hughes]
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
My 2 Cents...

First, the comparison on the Organs sounds, totally wrong, the T4 only has, per say, has the "Vintage" a.k.a. Hammond, and the T5 has the same only that the person that made the demo, choose for the T5 the "Home" organ out of the Euro, Vintage, Theatre and Classical....Not the same Vintage organ sound...that is also part the New Section Organ World on the T5.

Second, the S.A.2 Jazz Sax sound on the T4 also is also found on the T5, but the person doing the demo choose a totally different sound, the New S.A, Tenor Sax sound....that actually is the S.A. 2 Tenor Sax found on one of the Premium packs...!!!
I happen to have it also on the T4 that is of course, optional.

The T5 S.A. 2 Tenor Sax will have other characteristics, like Growl, etc. VERY different than the one "represented" [/b]on the T4.

Again, on the T4 the Sweet Muted trumpet is also found on the T5, but the T5 has the NEW S.A.2 Muted Trumpet was chosen....why not compare them with the same sounds?, if purposely choose other sounds even within the same family sounds,
it is not a accurate representation at all.

Like comparing a Baritone sax on one Keyboard and a soprano sax in the other....

They maybe on the same family, but the sound of each is totally different.

As a T4 and T5 owner, this video to me, is not representing fairly either model.

I know what I am talking about.

On the Styles the same, one has Midi Based styles T4, and on the T5 (all the T4 styles are also included),it has[b][/b] the New Audio Styles....so, is apples vs pears????or perhaps bananas?

#383965 - 02/06/14 03:33 PM Re: Yamaha Tyros 4 vs Tyros 5 Video [Re: Eric, B]
Diki Offline

Actually, comparing a new model with an older model by using the exact same sounds as the old one has when better (at least newer!) sounds have been added is absurd!

You aren't going to sell a lot of T5's if all you play is T4 sounds and styles!

At least the comparisons were trumpet for trumpet, organ for organ... nobody tried to compare a tenor and a soprano (try to get outraged about things that have ACTUALLY happened, LOL).

I though this demo did a great job of demonstrating how the NEW sounds were better than the old sounds. There isn't really any POINT showing that the new one ALSO has most of the old sounds in it. We tend to assume that, for the most part. And those of us familiar with the old sounds don't really need to hear them on the NEW arranger...

I'd still like to hear more demos that focus on any new drum KITS in the T5... You all know my feelings about audio drums, but any new KITS can easily be added to existing legacy styles, and perhaps improve them a lot (they sure need it!).

All in all, the T5 is a great sounding arranger. Pricey, but great! And now they have stopped listening to existing Yamaha arranger users (who can never see the point in anything they haven't already got!) and have started to add things like the 76 keybed and, albeit crippled, audio loop features, they are starting to move towards some of the better features missing in the past.

But I still stand by my first post... If I had a T4, I'm not sure I'd try to sell and buy a T5. Mind you, the more I hear of that Ensemble feature, the less sure I am!

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online