SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#383187 - 01/31/14 07:16 AM PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration
Dnj Offline

#383192 - 01/31/14 08:09 AM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

These features can really let the player create custom styles, intros, endings, fills, & variations, sounds, or whatever which is really cool cool2 .......couple that with some custom made Multipads and BAM you got some killer styles for your songs keys clap

#383195 - 01/31/14 08:42 AM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
That's probably the best video demonstration of the keyboard's onboard Style Creator program I've seen. It clearly demonstrates just how many steps you must go through to make a good style, which, unfortunately, most people are not willing to take the time to do. Of course, there are more than 70,000 third-party Yamaha styles available today because of the individuals that did take the time to learn how to do this. My collection is now just over 55,000 style files, which has taken more than a decade to accumulate. Some are really bad, some are great and many are absolutely fantastic. A significant number of these styles came from the UK, therefore I must pay tribute to my many friends across the pond for their wonderful contributions to the world of arranger keyboard styles and music in general.

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#383204 - 01/31/14 09:29 AM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
That's probably the best video demonstration of the keyboard's onboard Style Creator program I've seen. It clearly demonstrates just how many steps you must go through to make a good style, which, unfortunately, most people are not willing to take the time to do. Of course, there are more than 70,000 third-party Yamaha styles available today because of the individuals that did take the time to learn how to do this. My collection is now just over 55,000 style files, which has taken more than a decade to accumulate. Some are really bad, some are great and many are absolutely fantastic. A significant number of these styles came from the UK, therefore I must pay tribute to my many friends across the pond for their wonderful contributions to the world of arranger keyboard styles and music in general.

Cheers,

Gary cool

more people should try to create their own... after watching this i am going to see what turns up when I get time......
even if you just change an existing style to lets say a new bass line, horn part, etc, should be interesting....so much is inside these arrangers that are barley touched...third party is fine but your own custom blend is much better when done right.. wink

#383206 - 01/31/14 09:42 AM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
This topic was discussed a few times already.

http://www.synthzone.com/forum/ubbthread..._950#Post366975

http://www.synthzone.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/358815/1

Using the Yamaha's Style Creator's "Assembly" feature is still the quickest and easiest way to edit a style. The parts you take from other styles are already assigned note limits and other important data.

Use of the Groove & Dynamics function in Style Creator can also alter the "feel" for the entire style or just parts of it.

The more you use Style Creator, the easier it gets, and editing becomes almost second nature.

Ian

#383208 - 01/31/14 09:51 AM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

I like the starting from scratch the best.....put your own name on it and custom record all parts..create a whole library for all your needs..

Edited by Dnj (01/31/14 09:52 AM)

#383210 - 01/31/14 10:03 AM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

I'm too impatient to start from scratch...and it takes a long time, and careful playing.

What I did was get a number of styles that have interesting/useful parts (pads, chords, phrases etc.) in them, store them in a folder, and use them as donor styles.

I reprogram my three Intros and often use them as extra variations or stop/fills, again using parts from other styles.

Most times, all a style needs is a few changes to smooth out the transitions from part to part.

It is pretty much a fact that a manufacturer's style programmers use a software program/sequencer to make accompaniments, and download from there.

I know of very few arranger players (of any brand) that are making high quality styles (entire styles) from scratch. Bert could probably do a nice job, for sure, but not many are at his level of playing expertise.

BTW, style programming can also be done in STEP mode (not in real time), by entering notes and chords.

Still too tedious for my liking.

Ian

#383212 - 01/31/14 10:36 AM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I used to make a lot of my own, back when they were limited. Now there are SO many to pick from, it's not necessary. That's not to say you shouldn't do it, though. It just takes a lot of time.
As Ian Of The North says, it's far easier to assemble form various other styles.

#383214 - 01/31/14 10:48 AM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

On my old PSR-2700, style making was very primitive as compared to what we have now...it was the first keyboard I made custom styles on to any degree, mainly because I could save to floppy disk.

The only way then was to either play in the parts live, or play them in step mode, picking from a menu of note values.

As DonM said above, back then there were very few available styles (I didn't have Internet then either), so you were pretty well forced into making your own from scratch.

The first styles I saw on line were by Simon Williams of SVP World, and although they were mostly nicely done, they didn't cover the genres I needed.

My PSR-8000 and PSR-2000 had wear marks on the buttons from me making styles on them, as it was finally possible to use Style Assembly.

Nowadays, styles aren't as much of an issue, although it still is nice to edit and put your own stamp on them (and your music).

Ian

#383219 - 01/31/14 11:15 AM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Remember the PSR 8000 had a great facility to change the style from one rhythm to another. I think they were called Swing styles then, and stored in their own bank. You can still do it, but you have to go into a menu and pick things now. More versatile but not as easy.
PSR740 had a one-button push to do the same thing. Your style was instantly transformed from say a 4/4 to a Swing.
Roland came up with something similar allowing to change a style into one of several genres. Very neat stuff, and useful.

#383220 - 01/31/14 11:49 AM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

It was called "Virtual Arranger" on my 8000 and I believe the PSR 730/740.

According to manual...

When the Virtual Arranger* function is turned on, the Auto-accompaniment feature will play a more complex "arrangement" which provides livelier, more melodic accompaniment.

The Virtual Arranger is only effective when Auto-Accompaniment is On and the Full Keyboard or Manual Bass fingering mode is not selected.

* The Virtual Arranger will not work with custom styles

Present day Groove and Dynamics aren't as simple to use as the presets in Virtual Arranger, but they offer far better (deeper) editing choices and they work on all styles...not just the factory ones.

Session styles, presently on the later Yamaha act a bit like the old Virtual Arranger styles in that you have to be careful with your chording.

Ian

#383221 - 01/31/14 12:17 PM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Dnj]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Programming from scratch...unless you can play manual drums..very well...DON"T start from scratch...Use a drum pattern that exist...you can use multiple drum patterns from existing patterns..

Actually this holds true with the other parts of a style..It would be much better morphing the styles as a blend for a new style...The next best creation would be "punch in" recording sections for changes in the existing style..

As mentioned ..there are so many styles found..that just changing instruments or dropping parts of an existing style can do wonders..

#383223 - 01/31/14 01:16 PM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

I never heard so many Lazy players excuses.. .......
creating is what the fun is all about in music .....
its not that hard to do. With my KORG M1 years ago every single song I performed was totally done and created by me exactly the way I arranged it...remember it doesn't have to be a style it can be a SMF backing track also, just like you would do on a workstation, every song doesn't have to be repetitive styles all the time,....being a lazy player hurts your music I say.
Get all up in it and have fun!

#383226 - 01/31/14 01:36 PM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

I'm a very lazy guy, Donny...and proud of it.

I have always had a very strong aversion to servile work of any kind.

When I do get the urge to work, I just lay down for awhile, and it goes away.

However, I don't think my laziness has had any detrimental effect on my playing skills or ability.

That's because "playing" isn't "work"...that's why it's called "playing".

I LOVE to play! Since retirement I have even more time for playing, and I make good use of it.

As far as slaving over a keyboard unnecessarily to create styles or midi files...nope, not for me.

I prefer the way that works best for me...if it happens to be "easier"...so be it.

It's good to see you are so diligently industrious, but, I don't envy you in the slightest.

Ian

#383231 - 01/31/14 02:08 PM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

I'm just the opposite, Ian. If I'm not creating something, I feel like the day is completely wasted. I gotta do something, even if it's wrong. I spent most of the morning designing a new dinette table for the boat's main salon. Tomorrow I'll buy the wood, have it cut to size, then go to work with the sander, stain and polyurethane. Then I'll mount the base hardware, light sand the top, apply another three coats of polyurethane, then compound and buff the finish till it looks like a mirror. When it's all done, I'll find another project. I figure I can't die if I have something creative to do all the time. wink Most of my friends and band mates that retired and did nothing are all dead - I really don't want to be in that category.

Gary cool

#383243 - 01/31/14 02:41 PM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
It's a lot harder making a style from scratch than simple copy and paste assembly. The factory style makers are often very talented players, adept in emulating just about anything. Basically, if you don't have that skill down, it's not even worth bothering!

But we'd be fascinated to hear your made from scratch styles, Donny...

#383247 - 01/31/14 02:49 PM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Diki]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Diki
It's a lot harder making a style from scratch than simple copy and paste assembly. The factory style makers are often very talented players, adept in emulating just about anything. Basically, if you don't have that skill down, it's not even worth bothering!

when I get time I'll take a shot at it on the S-950....
not cause YOU asked ...but I have a few songs I'd like to arrange differently. Styles on a whole become too boring vs a SMF custom arrangement with a killer bassline, drums etc...

#383259 - 01/31/14 03:33 PM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj
I like the starting from scratch the best.....put your own name on it and custom record all parts..create a whole library for all your needs..

Let us know how it goes...

Personally, I think there's a REASON there are so few user created styles that even get in the same county as the factory produced ones, let alone ballpark!

It's not too tough to make songstyles (good for only one song) but the real skill is just how MANY songs you can play using the same style with most of the factory ones. Finding that balance between generic enough and not TOO generic is really hard. And also, the skill in creating fills that go smoothly to different Variations. That's one of the hallmarks of user styles. They rarely transition well.

It's a great idea in theory, having an entirely custom made style library, but let's be honest... you know anyone that does that? That's got to tell you SOMETHING... If it were easy, we'd ALL be doing it! Most people buy arrangers because they CAN'T program drums really well, or guitar parts, or everything else.

How about just ONE style, before you set your sights on an entire library of them? LOL

#383261 - 01/31/14 03:41 PM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: travlin'easy]
ianmcnll Offline

I'm just the opposite, Ian. If I'm not creating something, I feel like the day is completely wasted.
Gary cool

If you enjoy what you are doing...it is not work.

I avoid (or delegate to someone else) the things I don't enjoy, and use that time to do the things I do.

For me, playing music is one of the most things I enjoy...if possible, everything else takes a back seat.

Of course, I can't pull this off perfectly all the time...but that's what makes it interesting.

Ian

#383265 - 01/31/14 04:13 PM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: Diki

when I get time I'll take a shot at it on the S-950....
not cause YOU asked ...but I have a few songs I'd like to arrange differently. Styles on a whole become too boring vs a SMF custom arrangement with a killer bassline, drums etc...

I'd like to hear them too Donny, and if possible send me a few to try on my Tyros4.

I spend a lot of time editing styles, and more than a few of them seem to work very well for others, as well as for me.

I have my own section/page on PSR Tutorial with about 80 or so styles that Joe Waters asked me to share with others in the group.

I've received very good feedback on them, for which I am grateful, and have had well over 3000 downloads since they were put up back around the end of November last year.

They aren't anything fancy, but I'm told they are very well balanced and voiced, to the point where they can be used for many songs, not just song specific, and they lend themselves very well to stripping down for less busyness. I also work hard at making the OTS suitable for that particular genre of style.

I have quite a few more, and will do up another batch in the near future.

There are lots of song specific styles available on the net and through Yamaha, but I like putting my own stamp on a tune, so, pretty much every style I get falls victim to my editing.

I can make them fairly good from scratch, as that was once the only way of making them, but editing via Style Assembly is quite effective and flexible, as well as being far easier, and much faster, so it gets the nod from me.

Most styles that I've tried that users made from SMF weren't all that well done, and often were key specific and very limited to certain chords.

Looking forward to trying some of your work.

Ian

#383282 - 01/31/14 06:30 PM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

I haven't made a style from scratch for at least 10 years, but I had a go at it tonight just for something creative to do. The drum parts were easy, and I've never played drums. I did a down and dirty intro, the first variation and fill for that variation. Took about 5 minutes at most. Put the OTS settings in place in three more minutes.

Gary cool

#383285 - 01/31/14 06:45 PM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Please, post it up when you finish it, Gary, so I can give it a try on the Tyros4.

What genre is it?

Ian

#383289 - 01/31/14 07:08 PM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Upbeat Latin. Just messin around with it, and I screwed up the final edit real bad and deleted it, but I was smart enough to save the initial style before modifications. Gettin late here, so I probably work on it tomorrow for a while before the football game begins.

Gary cool

#383293 - 01/31/14 07:29 PM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

A little trick I used to use was to shorten the number of measures in the style part, especially if it was going to be mostly repetition.

On Style Creator Basic screen, hitting the Exit button once takes you to the # of measures.

You can always extend the number of measures afterwards if there is a part, like a phrase or piano chord part, for example, that you might want to do over 4 or 8 bars.

Shortening the # of measures is also handy when doing some drums parts.

I've been trying to finish up a style set for my friend's Tyros5-76, but perhaps when I'm finished I might try a scratch-built style myself.

You can also store the style, re-open Style Creator to Assembly and copy certain parts you've already done to other style parts.

After I did a few scratch styles, I gained a whole new appreciation for using the Assembly feature to make the style from donor parts.

I even got to the point of taking parts (like Brass phrases) from one genre style, like Swing, and using Groove & Dynamics to make them conform to another genre style, like an 8-Beat.

The more you dig into Style Creator, the more cool things you find you can do to a style, also, you come to appreciate the work done by the original programmers, especially the little details.

Ian

#383308 - 01/31/14 08:54 PM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Not much on TV tonight, so I messed with the style again. Here ya go, Ian.

Quick Latin

It's not great by any means, I didn't really spend much time tuning and tweaking the intros and endings, just a down and dirty style creation.

Gary cool

#383311 - 01/31/14 09:23 PM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Hi Gary,

I can't get it to load in the Tyros4...I tried downloading several times, and even storing on another flash-drive...still getting the message "Data hasn't been loaded properly" when I put the drive in the Tyros4 and select the style. Also tried it loading from a folder, and then right from the drive...no luck.

Not sure why that's happening...something in the style not agreeing with the Tyros4.

Thanks just the same.

The thing I find about making the styles from scratch, is getting in the little details, especially using mega voices or even SA sounds, both of which are necessary to really add life to the style.

It's the finer points that take up all the time...but they also make all the difference...hence the style makers using a computer program/sequencer as they can much easier control or adjust the affectation of the Mega Voices with velocity.

Maybe it will work in someone else's S950?

Ian

#383358 - 02/01/14 09:16 AM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

I don't know what happened, Ian. Something to do with the last save process. I went back this morning, loaded the first segment, then reassembled the style again, not at good as the first try, but I only spent 20 minutes on it. Here ya go.

Latin2

Gary cool

#383372 - 02/01/14 10:16 AM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

I don't know what happened, Ian. Something to do with the last save process. I went back this morning, loaded the first segment, then reassembled the style again, not at good as the first try, but I only spent 20 minutes on it. Here ya go.

Latin2

Gary cool

Gary was this done from scratch Drums, Bass lines, Quantize, etc, ..? or?

Edited by Dnj (02/01/14 10:16 AM)

#383386 - 02/01/14 10:48 AM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Removed?

#383389 - 02/01/14 10:52 AM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

From scratch, Donny. And, keep in mind that I haven't made a style in 10 years or more - at least not from scratch.

Diki, the new link is just above Donny's last post.

Gary cool

#383392 - 02/01/14 11:07 AM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

From scratch, Donny. And, keep in mind that I haven't made a style in 10 years or more - at least not from scratch.

Gary cool

Well Gary I hope this will be the start of something new to add to your repertoire of styles...

#383402 - 02/01/14 12:03 PM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

You got some audio on it for those of us sadly (!) without a PSR?

#383429 - 02/01/14 01:07 PM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Gimme a few minutes to crank up the S-950.

Gary cool

#383439 - 02/01/14 01:34 PM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Here ya go, Diki. As I told Donny, keep in mind that I haven't done this in more than a decade so it's just down and dirty. But, rocket science it ain't. Also keep in mind that I was never a drummer or bass player for a very good reason. wink

This is just the first (tap) intro, second variation and me playing a bit of El Cumbanchero with the right hand.

Latin2 Audio MP3

Now you can rip it to shreds,

Gary cool

#383446 - 02/01/14 01:42 PM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Wow! Where to start?

First thing is, the bassline is playing a 1 to 4 pattern, not 1 to 5. That should be a C to G line, not C to F (no F in the chord of Cmin!).

Then there's no parts in it other than a drum part and a bass part. And don't get me started about how stiff the percussion is. Where are the fills? Intros, Endings, Break/fills?

Look, I'm sorry, but there it is. The PROOF for my original position. It may be easy to DO, but close to impossible to get RIGHT.

Sorry.

#383447 - 02/01/14 01:46 PM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Like I said, that took 20 minutes and no frills. There are fills, breaks, etc... within the style, I just didn't use them.

Almost forgot, the chords I played were Am and E.

OK, now that I put my balls on the Diki line, let's hear one from Diki. One that you put together from scratch, from the intro up, your drum tracks, bass line, etc... Do something along the same lines, something that would fit with El Cumbanchero. I'm always willing to learn from THE MASTER!

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (02/01/14 01:51 PM)

#383451 - 02/01/14 01:53 PM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Gary cool

Well Gary I hope this will be the start of something new to add to your repertoire of styles...

Nah! I have thousands upon thousands of great style files - no need for me to go back to doing that again - don't have the time anymore.

Gary cool

#383452 - 02/01/14 01:54 PM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

OK, now that I put my balls on the Diki line, let's hear one from Diki. One that you put together from scratch, from the intro up, your drum tracks, bass line, etc... Do something along the same lines, something that would fit with El Cumbanchero. I'm always willing to learn from THE MASTER!

Gary cool

No... my point has always been, it's much too HARD to make one as great as the factory ones. Why bother making excrementally bad ones when better ones already exist?

I've got decent emulation chops, and even I don't want to try doing more than assembling from existing great styles and altering the odd note or push here and there.

The point isn't that you can MAKE them. The point is, can you make them as good as the factory ones? If not, don't waste your time. Plenty of other things to work on (like the right changes, for instance!)...

#383456 - 02/01/14 02:04 PM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

I tried it in my Tyros4, Gary, and it works fairly good, although it wasn't recognizing some of the more complex chords I tried with it. The bass line was fine, as were the strings, although the latter could have been a little more prominent.

Also, what makes recording the guitar chord parts, is that playing Mega Voices by hand is very, very difficult, to say the least.

Your style could benefit from guitar parts to flesh it out, and that's where Style Assembly makes it easy as the Mega Voices are already nicely controlled with velocity, although you can change it by going in the Groove & Dynamics section quite easily to get the right effect. Also the guitar parts can be voiced using the NTT settings for stroke or arpeggio.

It's very difficult to get the little details right, and, in my own experience, they are what set a great style apart from a good one. That's why style programmers use a special sequencer based program, as it allows them to tweak mega voices, and let's face it, those sounds are what give Yamaha's styles the edge in realism, in my opinion.

I've done styles a long time ago from scratch, but, I'm more than happy with the results I get from using Assembly, and I find it a lot easier overall.

And, I certainly appreciate the skill those style makers have a lot more.

Thank you for braving the firing line and sharing your "from-scratch" style.

Ian

#383459 - 02/01/14 02:28 PM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Thanks Ian - I really didn't put much effort into this one - no need to do so. I just wanted to prove a point that the keyboard has the built-in software to do these things, and it's really not all that difficult to do. What is difficult is to create a fantastic style file, one that really brings out the songs you perform and put you a step above the competition. For the most part, manufacturers have already done a great job along these lines, but there are times when you want something a bit different and the onboard program provides you with that opportunity to be creative. The style I use for El Cumbanchero is a Tyros2 style that just really nails it, and I song it in Spanish. I've always loved that song since I first heard it performed by the Ricky Ricardo Band so many years ago.

Gary cool

#383466 - 02/01/14 03:38 PM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Perhaps, if it takes a special sequencing program for the factory style writers to get all the Mega stuff and other arranger features right, Yamaha should release it for FREE to their users...

You know, if they would like them to be able to make great styles...

#383469 - 02/01/14 03:45 PM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Gary.... have you put any effort into any OTHER styles that you DO think has got close to a factory style?

I mean, you are somewhat cutting the legs out of your own argument about how it is all possible, if not easy, by this example. I am presuming, at some time or another, that you really HAVE done something you could use in public, or what has this all been about?

If the tools provided in the instrument, as Ian admits, CAN'T do what the factory programmers can, well, there goes the whole idea! Somewhere along the line, SOMEBODY has had to have succeeded at all this before the inclusion of the capabilities is all rather moot, don't you think?

#383471 - 02/01/14 04:27 PM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Dnj]
billyhank Offline

The Mega voices are programed using notes normally out of playing range to add the Mega effects. Motif players have been exposed a bit to this and the technique is used sort-of by Korg when programing guitars for styles.

No doubt Yamaha has special software for doing this - why wouldn't they? ;-)

Same for programing the CASM.

Bill G

Edited by billyhank (02/01/14 04:28 PM)

#383472 - 02/01/14 04:37 PM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Companies like MidiSpot make third party styles for the Yamaha arrangers and they use mega voices, so either they have the same program licensed from Yamaha, or they have designed one of their own.

I asked Yamaha if I could buy the program, or at least be allowed to use it under their watchful eye, but I was refused...this was many years ago, even before mega voice technology was introduced. I was not given a reason.

The very thing that gives mega voices their incredibly expressive capabilities, is also their biggest disadvantage.

You can play them in, but it is a tedious job to get them right...corrections can be made afterwards using style dynamics, but it is still tedious. Finding and setting note limits can also be tiresome.

However, being able to use SA/SA2 voices in styles has been a very, very nice addition.

But due to the potential tediousness involved in recording the mega voices, I use Assembly, as the expensiveness is already in the part (and I can always edit to taste if I wish), and note limits and other data has already been worked out.

A style created from scratch on any of the major arrangers is never going to be as good as the factory styles...unless it's an extremely simple style or unless you have access to what the company's programmers used to make them.

Some companies have style parts that were played in using a midi instrument, like a midi guitar or an EWI ( Electronic Wind Instrument) so you would need one of them to make the parts in your scratch built style have equal quality.

I really enjoy making styles the way I do (Assembly) but it would be nice to have one of those style programs nonetheless.

Happy style making, guys!

Please post your efforts if you make one from scratch the equal of the built-in ones on your Yamaha, Roland or Korg.

Ian

PS...there's lots of info about certain aspects/features of our arrangers that Roland, Yamaha, or Korg will never release for public use. I see complaints here on the forum by several members frustrated by not having access to certain data. Most companies don't want to run the risk of their special programs being given, lost, or sold to a competitor.

#383473 - 02/01/14 04:38 PM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Actually, I've posted hundreds of them, some are just modifications, while others were from scratch. And, according to the download counter, there have been more than 19,000 downloads since 1/1/13. Prior to that date, there were more than 200,000 downloads. Of course, you would not know that because those styles will, obviously, not be beneficial to anyone other than a Yamaha user. Now, I could go to the archives, load the styles into the keyboard and record some MP3 examples and post them, but I'm not going to do that - mainly because most of the Yamaha users on this forum have already downloaded the styles I've posted in my Gig Disks and use them extensively. And, I'm not, by far, the only forum member that has successfully created some unique, usable styles. Charlie (Rattley) created many from scratch that he posted and downloading on other forums and they too have been downloaded thousands of time and are being used extensively by entertainers throughout the world.

Now, as I stated at the outset, that style I posted was a 20-minute effort, down and dirty. Would I use it - NO. But what it does is show that what everyone saw in the video can be, and is being, done!

Good Luck,

Gary cool

#383483 - 02/01/14 07:09 PM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Did any of the ones you made have full guitar parts, keys, strings, brass, all that?

I'm sorry, I honestly don't care about downloads... all that is is a measure of curiosity. How many people actually USE them on a day to day basis?

I've downloaded tens of thousands of styles, either conversions or user styles. I only found a handful of them that were remotely acceptable.

#383488 - 02/01/14 08:02 PM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Yes, many of them did, which at times made them a bit too busy for me, personally, so I ended up removing some of the parts and reposting them.

A lot of people on this and other forums use many of my styles, and I get several requests every week for more. I try to provide the folks asking for them with the best of the best that would be suitable for the particular song they want to perform. Most of the time I'm successful at doing just that.

Of the 55,000 plus style files I have archived, I would venture a solid guess that at least 5,000 are in the good to excellent category.

Gary cool

#383493 - 02/01/14 08:57 PM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

I love the smell of downloads in the morning...smells like...Victory!

I always try to do styles with...um...style!

For those who have just tuned in...the popcorn you're eating has been buttered. Film at 11.

#383499 - 02/02/14 01:25 AM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

So wouldn't an audio demo of one of the ones you made from scratch you actually like (and others do) have been a far better way to demonstrate your point?

It helps when what demos you post agrees with the point you are trying to make, LOL

#383502 - 02/02/14 02:26 AM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Dnj]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Another point of view

Option 1
Most users ask for styles for a certain song, therefore it is more sensible to find a good Midi file that matches what you want, and then break the track into loops to import into the style creator, thus giving you everything the style needs with just the selection of sounds and fine tuning being required. (You don’t need any fancy voices to make a good style)

Option 2
Do the same as professionals do, just download some of the 1000s of Midi loops available out there that are relevant to the style you want, (Make sure the loops have been designed for the instrumentation you are going to use) and then assemble a style using them. (Much like Workstation users use Arps)

It is very seldom you would ever need to create a style from scratch, (Except perhaps some simple versions that are nicely thinned out) plus while most home users need all the tracks to play along too, (They just want to sit down and play using all the easy play features they can find) professionals actually play the keyboard, so all that’s normally needed by them is Drums, Bass and a single ACC track. (Anything more usually just gets in the way)

BTW there are books available that you can teach yourself Rhythm (Style) programming, but unless you are working on something unique that no one has done before, it’s not really necessary for most players these days.

Bill

#383503 - 02/02/14 03:06 AM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Playing an organ, I would tend to strip down the style to just drums and maybe (and that's a big MAYBE) one arp track for the left hand, as I would be playing bass with bass pedals.

Using the arranger as I do, with no bass pedals, I like using more accompaniment tracks, the number of which will depend on the genre and/or the overall size of the virtual band I'm trying to emulate.

The part of the style, I find, that affects the accompaniment the most when changed, is the bass line.

Ofttimes I like staring a tune with a style variation that has no bass or drums, and the bass part is being provided by one of the chordal tracks using a guitar or piano sound, then switching to the next variation that adds a simple bass track with or without drums. The third Variation will have a more complex bass line, and more accompaniment tracks will be added.

Also, sometimes I will go between two similar styles to achieve more variety in a tune, or use a FreePlay style to begin the tune rubato, and then switching to another style.

You could also use style assembly to make one of a style's Main Variations into a FreePlay section, if you don't mind giving it up.

I don't use styles to color my songs, I create songs by using styles... they're a crucial part of what I do ... I never considered, as some do, that styles are a crutch...to me, they're part of the art.

That's the main reason I use an arranger...otherwise I'd just get an XK3c dual manual (or a Nord C2D), get a 25-note bass pedalboard, and a drum machine and play organ like I did years ago.

I like the way this guy, Alan McPike uses his setup...very nice bass pedal work. He also backs up a vocalist on several other clips. Very creative player.

Ian

#383525 - 02/02/14 09:48 AM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

It takes YEARS to be able to kick pedals half as well as the modern arrangers do! I'm sure I've lost all my pedal skills and don't care! smile Never was great at it, but passable.
The little Japanese or Italian guy (or Chinese now) in the keyboard is way better at it than I am.

#383528 - 02/02/14 09:51 AM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: DonM
It takes YEARS to be able to kick pedals half as well as the modern arrangers do! I'm sure I've lost all my pedal skills and don't care! smile Never was great at it, but passable.
The little Japanese or Italian guy (or Chinese now) in the keyboard is way better at it than I am.

I have done some business with Alan not too long ago great player by all standards. clap

#383561 - 02/02/14 01:08 PM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: DonM

I have done some business with Alan not too long ago great player by all standards. clap

Alan makes me realize just how much the music depends on the player, and not on what keyboard brand is being used, or what instrument has better sounds than the other.

I often listen to his arrangements when I'm programming jazz styles, as he makes a little go a long way. Simple, but effective!

He is not only a terrific bass pedal player, but watching the way he works with that old drum machine is fascinating...and humbling too.

The music just seems to pour out effortlessly from his fingers.

Did you do any singing with him, Donny?

Ian

PS...here's another excellent tune.

#383564 - 02/02/14 01:36 PM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: ianmcnll]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
[quote=DonM]
Did you do any singing with him, Donny?

We did some backing track projects

http://www.standardstrax.com/

#383568 - 02/02/14 01:46 PM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Cool!

#383572 - 02/02/14 02:19 PM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
I'm really with you on this one. Alan has one of the best pedal-bass lines in the business. Super tasteful. You have to be an organ player (or a would-be one like me) to appreciate how effortless he makes it seem. A really great musician. I sort of wish everyone would click on Donny's link above and read what Alan has to say about himself and about his musical taste. He mirrors my thoughts and feelings so closely that it's scary. Like him, I've admired but never been a huge fan of Sinatra but have never had the courage to say it on THIS board for fear of being murdered (actually Fran is a pretty nice guy so I'd probably only get broken kneecaps smile smile ). Anyhoo, talent doesn't always land you in the big leagues.

chas

#383577 - 02/02/14 03:29 PM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Chas, Alan's bass pedal playing is so good, he can get away with using his left hand to play fills on the drum machine, and be playing for quite some time only with his right hand...and nothing seems missing!

I studied Yamaha's Electone method and after graduating, I taught it for several years, and bass pedals were introduced from the first lesson. I still remember starting the students with the very basics, the simple swing: "pedal, chord, pedal, chord" or the basic Rumba: pedal, chord, chord, pedal, chord, pedal, chord.

I can/could manage pedals pretty decently if I applied myself again, but Alan's pedal work is just so smooth, effortless and flawless, it makes me feel like I've just started.

Also, his bass pedal work while playing the piano is equally as good, and he just seems to know the perfect places for putting in left hand strings or a pad, and it is never overdone.

The same with the drum machine...basic beats, but his playing somehow masks them and it sounds like a really good steady drummer playing along with him.

Sinatra was always a favorite of mine, especially the effortless way he phrased his singing, and his incredible sense of timing...sheer genius.

I like such a wide range of music, including Country...I even like Barry Manilow, who is an incredible musician, and as schmaltzy as he comes across sometimes, there's no getting away from his musicianship and great piano playing...he started out as a pianist for a girl's dance school...the lucky guy!

But Alan...yep, he is the real deal for sure. There are a lot of great videos of him on YouTube. I encourage anyone who plays arranger or organ to check them out.

A real treat, and an eye-opener for sure.

Ian

#383604 - 02/03/14 09:49 AM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Dnj]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Ian, thanx for the pedal lesson! I never played them, but now I think I can tackle a rumba! smile

#383677 - 02/03/14 06:11 PM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Basically (!), it was funk that killed the organ bass pedal player... Most music up to them was reasonably easy to play on pedals. In fact, most bands appreciated the bass part being simplified and cleaned up a bit by the limitations of what you can do with your feet.

But slapping and popping changed all that, and made copying contemporary pop a lot harder for the pedal guys. So it started to die out.

Funny thing is, a LOT of modern pop has got some pretty dumb, simple basslines (the poor kids today think it is OK to just whang away on repeated eighth notes all night long!), and playing them on bass pedals is a doddle! Take Coldplay... Huge band, not the most difficult basslines (on the whole) you've ever heard!

BTW, if you haven't got pedals yet, you can still get your LH into shape for when you do... Put the Bass Tone in the RH section of a split (transpose it back down into bass range). Now, have the arranger just play drums, play the bassline with your RH and work on getting the LH doing the comp and chords, etc..

When you go to playing with your feet, the LH now already knows what to do! RH now does melodies, counter melodies, other comping... and voilà! You are an organ player!

#383678 - 02/03/14 06:15 PM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Dnj]
Uncle Dave Offline

Oh, no thank you very much ... my brain would explode, and the actual probability of me ever sitting down to PLAY pedals is almost non-existent. In fact, I really don't want to. I do, however, love to play the bass lines with my left hand as much as possible - makes for a tighter, more personal arrangement, and the bass and piano always sit in the same pocket. Sweeeeet.

#383682 - 02/03/14 06:51 PM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

I do a lot of reggae by playing the bassline with the RH while the LH is usually just doing 'chick' backbeat stuff. It makes nailing those syncopated, twisty lines quite easy...

#383686 - 02/03/14 07:36 PM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Dnj]
Uncle Dave Offline

Or you can do it the way I do, and play the bass line with the left, and chick with the right. Same effect, right?

#383689 - 02/03/14 08:02 PM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

To do any reasonably effective complex bass lines with a pedal-board, you need at least 25 pedal keys and use your two feet...a 32 note pedal board is ideal.

Problem is, you basically lose your Swell pedal, which is really needed for the dynamics. Then again, you could accent certain notes with the pedals, and play Left Hand bass.

These days, for nearly all my work, I'm quite content to let the arranger play my bass lines for me, and only very seldom use LH bass or pedals (we do have a small Roland PK-5 13-note MIDI Pedal Board in the studio storage room).

The instruments got better at playing bass...and, I got better at being lazy, although I still enjoy playing the Tyros4 several hours a day.

Ian

#383690 - 02/03/14 08:39 PM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Uncle Dave]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By: Uncle Dave
Or you can do it the way I do, and play the bass line with the left, and chick with the right. Same effect, right?

Left hand bass feels more natural..left side are lower notes, and accordion bass is on the left side too.. smile

#383694 - 02/03/14 09:18 PM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

I don't really consider I have a LH and a RH. Just TWO hands. Both equally important.

So, I do quite a bit of swapping sounds away from their usual hands. Keeps you on your toes. Some songs, I do piano in the LH, brass in the right, then I'll swap the sounds, and do it with brass on the LH, and piano on the RH.

No rules, no limitations...

Sure, I can do bass with the LH, but sometimes it's FUN to do it with the right. Especially where, say in reggae, the bassline actually IS a melody, but the accompaniment is pure simple repetition.

BTW, accordion has the CHORDS on the LH side too! And play an electronic or MIDI accordion, either side can play anything! No rules... LOL

BTW, ever see Joe Zawinul's 'reversed keyboard' thing? He had some keyboard (I think the Oberheim's could do this) where he reversed all the notes. High notes were on the left, and went DOWN as you went right. Trippy, trippy stuff! You just played some of your usual licks and riffs, and got utterly fresh, exciting and new results, and it freed your mind!

No rules... is good rules!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online