SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#383187 - 01/31/14 07:16 AM PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration
Dnj Offline

#383192 - 01/31/14 08:09 AM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

These features can really let the player create custom styles, intros, endings, fills, & variations, sounds, or whatever which is really cool cool2 .......couple that with some custom made Multipads and BAM you got some killer styles for your songs keys clap

#383195 - 01/31/14 08:42 AM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
That's probably the best video demonstration of the keyboard's onboard Style Creator program I've seen. It clearly demonstrates just how many steps you must go through to make a good style, which, unfortunately, most people are not willing to take the time to do. Of course, there are more than 70,000 third-party Yamaha styles available today because of the individuals that did take the time to learn how to do this. My collection is now just over 55,000 style files, which has taken more than a decade to accumulate. Some are really bad, some are great and many are absolutely fantastic. A significant number of these styles came from the UK, therefore I must pay tribute to my many friends across the pond for their wonderful contributions to the world of arranger keyboard styles and music in general.

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#383204 - 01/31/14 09:29 AM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
That's probably the best video demonstration of the keyboard's onboard Style Creator program I've seen. It clearly demonstrates just how many steps you must go through to make a good style, which, unfortunately, most people are not willing to take the time to do. Of course, there are more than 70,000 third-party Yamaha styles available today because of the individuals that did take the time to learn how to do this. My collection is now just over 55,000 style files, which has taken more than a decade to accumulate. Some are really bad, some are great and many are absolutely fantastic. A significant number of these styles came from the UK, therefore I must pay tribute to my many friends across the pond for their wonderful contributions to the world of arranger keyboard styles and music in general.

Cheers,

Gary cool

more people should try to create their own... after watching this i am going to see what turns up when I get time......
even if you just change an existing style to lets say a new bass line, horn part, etc, should be interesting....so much is inside these arrangers that are barley touched...third party is fine but your own custom blend is much better when done right.. wink

#383206 - 01/31/14 09:42 AM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
This topic was discussed a few times already.

http://www.synthzone.com/forum/ubbthread..._950#Post366975

http://www.synthzone.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/358815/1

Using the Yamaha's Style Creator's "Assembly" feature is still the quickest and easiest way to edit a style. The parts you take from other styles are already assigned note limits and other important data.

Use of the Groove & Dynamics function in Style Creator can also alter the "feel" for the entire style or just parts of it.

The more you use Style Creator, the easier it gets, and editing becomes almost second nature.

Ian

#383208 - 01/31/14 09:51 AM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

I like the starting from scratch the best.....put your own name on it and custom record all parts..create a whole library for all your needs..

Edited by Dnj (01/31/14 09:52 AM)

#383210 - 01/31/14 10:03 AM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

I'm too impatient to start from scratch...and it takes a long time, and careful playing.

What I did was get a number of styles that have interesting/useful parts (pads, chords, phrases etc.) in them, store them in a folder, and use them as donor styles.

I reprogram my three Intros and often use them as extra variations or stop/fills, again using parts from other styles.

Most times, all a style needs is a few changes to smooth out the transitions from part to part.

It is pretty much a fact that a manufacturer's style programmers use a software program/sequencer to make accompaniments, and download from there.

I know of very few arranger players (of any brand) that are making high quality styles (entire styles) from scratch. Bert could probably do a nice job, for sure, but not many are at his level of playing expertise.

BTW, style programming can also be done in STEP mode (not in real time), by entering notes and chords.

Still too tedious for my liking.

Ian

#383212 - 01/31/14 10:36 AM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I used to make a lot of my own, back when they were limited. Now there are SO many to pick from, it's not necessary. That's not to say you shouldn't do it, though. It just takes a lot of time.
As Ian Of The North says, it's far easier to assemble form various other styles.

#383214 - 01/31/14 10:48 AM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

On my old PSR-2700, style making was very primitive as compared to what we have now...it was the first keyboard I made custom styles on to any degree, mainly because I could save to floppy disk.

The only way then was to either play in the parts live, or play them in step mode, picking from a menu of note values.

As DonM said above, back then there were very few available styles (I didn't have Internet then either), so you were pretty well forced into making your own from scratch.

The first styles I saw on line were by Simon Williams of SVP World, and although they were mostly nicely done, they didn't cover the genres I needed.

My PSR-8000 and PSR-2000 had wear marks on the buttons from me making styles on them, as it was finally possible to use Style Assembly.

Nowadays, styles aren't as much of an issue, although it still is nice to edit and put your own stamp on them (and your music).

Ian

#383219 - 01/31/14 11:15 AM Re: PSR-S950 Style Programming Demonstration [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Remember the PSR 8000 had a great facility to change the style from one rhythm to another. I think they were called Swing styles then, and stored in their own bank. You can still do it, but you have to go into a menu and pick things now. More versatile but not as easy.
PSR740 had a one-button push to do the same thing. Your style was instantly transformed from say a 4/4 to a Swing.
Roland came up with something similar allowing to change a style into one of several genres. Very neat stuff, and useful.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online