SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#382667 - 01/26/14 09:13 PM The Grameys
musicforyourday Offline

Loc: So California, USA
I don't know about you guys but the acts all suck Just goes to show anybody can record with today's tech the studio eng should get the grameys not the artist

John legend was ok but hunter Hayes get some auto correct very bad .

#382668 - 01/26/14 09:28 PM Re: The Grameys [Re: musicforyourday]
Dnj Offline

No arranger KB player awards either, frown
I thought Merle Haggard Stole the show clap

#382675 - 01/26/14 11:51 PM Re: The Grameys [Re: musicforyourday]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I agree, Ron. The Grammy's for Producer of the Year and Engineer of the Year, Choreographer and Costume Designer should get all the airtime, and just play snippets of the hits they made! The 'artists' have little to do with the 'product'.

But it's OUR generation that started all this BS up. The kids certainly didn't produce it all! Anything for a buck, I suppose (sigh!)...

#382690 - 01/27/14 04:56 AM Re: The Grameys [Re: musicforyourday]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Best part was the new award for "MUSIC EDUCATOR OF THE YEAR!" Whoo Hoo! Credit where credit's due!
And BTW - what the heck was UP with Kris Kristoferson? Was he drunk? High? Delusional? He's not as old as Willie and he couldn't sing a note or finger the chords in tempo .... I felt bad for him.

#382692 - 01/27/14 05:53 AM Re: The Grameys [Re: Uncle Dave]
Dnj Offline

dance

Edited by Dnj (01/27/14 05:56 AM)

#382696 - 01/27/14 07:21 AM Re: The Grameys [Re: Uncle Dave]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Uncle Dave

And BTW - what the heck was UP with Kris Kristoferson? Was he drunk? High? Delusional? He's not as old as Willie and he couldn't sing a note or finger the chords in tempo ....

that was nuttin compared to the shape of Ozzie Ozborn when he presented Ringo.. surprised eek2 confused2

OSBOURNE ADMITS HE MESSED UP RINGO INTRO

"Ozzy Osbourne had a very simple explanation for his flub on stage, when he appeared to lose his place while reading the teleprompter introducing Ringo Starr. The incident caused Osbourne’s Black Sabbath bandmates Geezer Butler and Tony Iommi to crack up.

“I completely (expletive) it up,” he told reporters backstage as the group talked about their best metal performance win for “God is Dead?”"

http://www.mercurynews.com/music/ci_2499...ncoherent-ringo

btw..Justin beiber?...Miley Cirus ...not a mention just syain wink ....??

Edited by Dnj (01/27/14 07:42 AM)

#382697 - 01/27/14 07:53 AM Re: The Grameys [Re: musicforyourday]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I never considered turning it on - not for me.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#382700 - 01/27/14 08:54 AM Re: The Grameys [Re: travlin'easy]
musicforyourday Offline

Gary it was not good the lack of any good act showed and the old guys showed there age I felt bad for them .

too many agendas being pushed these days for me.

#382710 - 01/27/14 09:50 AM Re: The Grameys [Re: musicforyourday]
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
The best part of the show was ......... No Miley Cyrus or Justin Bieber.

Jerryghr

#382712 - 01/27/14 10:18 AM Re: The Grameys [Re: musicforyourday]
Dnj Offline

And why wasn't Tony Bennet there to sing to give it some class?

#382724 - 01/27/14 10:55 AM Re: The Grameys [Re: musicforyourday]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I watched the Mavericks whup the Pistons and the Heat destroy the Spurs!

#382735 - 01/27/14 11:34 AM Re: The Grameys [Re: DonM]
billyhank Offline

I watched Fight Night at The Forum - tonight I'm going to turn on the TV instead. ;-)

#382739 - 01/27/14 12:17 PM Re: The Grameys [Re: billyhank]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
The best part about a DVR is fast forwarding through the stuff I don't want to see or hear ...
That said, here is my 2 cents worth:
I don't know how anyone could stand still listening to "Get Lucky" ...
I think Bruno Mars is cool and so is his music ...
Taylor Swift's looks are maturing (maybe not so her music), but what was with that 'head waving' ??? - thought she was going to give herself whiplash ...
After watching Don's video post of "The Highwaymen" last week, the bit with Willie, Kris et al was an embarassment ... Blake Shelton must have been wondering who he pi$$ed off to be put there ?!? ...
Don't know if it was Kris or Merle, but one of them kept forgetting to sing when they were supposed to and it seemed like Willie and others were trying to cover it up ... confused1
'Pink' could easily make it with Cirque Du Soliel if the records don't sell ...
Ringo was fun ... dance2

CONGRATS to the music teachers of the world !!!

On another note, there will be a couple of Beatles tributes over the next 2 weeks ... guitar guitar drums guitar

#382773 - 01/27/14 07:10 PM Re: The Grameys [Re: musicforyourday]
Diki Offline

If you liked Chic back in the disco days, Nile Rodgers, the guitarist (and co-founder along with Bernard Edwards, the bass player) is all over that Daft Punk hit, giving it much of the disco vibe from the 70's that propelled it into a world-wide smash.

Watch it pack the floor when you play it (probably best to stick to the CD!), and then decide if you or they know a hit when they hear one! To me, it sounds like what EWF would sound like if they were a bit more contemporary... The vocals in some sections remind me of 'Fantasy' a bit.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but I'm very glad most of the world didn't agree with you on this one, Tony!

#382774 - 01/27/14 07:24 PM Re: The Grameys [Re: tony mads usa]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: tony mads usa
The best part about a DVR is fast forwarding through the stuff I don't want to see or hear ...
That said, here is my 2 cents worth:
I don't know how anyone could stand still listening to "Get Lucky" ...
I think Bruno Mars is cool and so is his music ...
Taylor Swift's looks are maturing (maybe not so her music), but what was with that 'head waving' ??? - thought she was going to give herself whiplash ...
After watching Don's video post of "The Highwaymen" last week, the bit with Willie, Kris et al was an embarassment ... Blake Shelton must have been wondering who he pi$$ed off to be put there ?!? ...
Don't know if it was Kris or Merle, but one of them kept forgetting to sing when they were supposed to and it seemed like Willie and others were trying to cover it up ... confused1
'Pink' could easily make it with Cirque Du Soliel if the records don't sell ...
Ringo was fun ... dance2

Tony .... EXACTLY MY THOUGHTS....except for Ringo. Not a big Ringo fan...and did you notice there was another drummer with a full set to Ringo's right. It looked like Ringo was pretty much vamping while the fella out of the spotlight was doing the real drumming.
When I saw Pink I thought "Am I watching the Grammy's or the Olympics.
DVR, Tivo...the only way to watch the Grammy's.
Eddie

#382783 - 01/27/14 08:39 PM Re: The Grameys [Re: btweengigs]
tony mads usa Offline

Diki... you misunderstood what I said ... I think it is a really good tune and I don't think anyone could stand still while listening to it, meaning you have to move to that rhythm ... and I think the EWF band is great also ...

#382784 - 01/27/14 08:53 PM Re: The Grameys [Re: tony mads usa]
musicforyourday Offline

Draft punk could not even be in the same room as earth wind and fire no chance EWF would blow the away any day .

#382825 - 01/28/14 07:40 AM Re: The Grameys [Re: musicforyourday]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
So whats with Bang Bang banging on a piano with Metallica ?? Waste of a good piano. And talk about waste of a piano what's with Taylor Swifts spasms ?
Ringo "not really playing " and Pauls real drummer in the dark. BTW is it true that the Beatles used to redo some of Ringos's tracks when he wasn't around ???? LOL
I also think Paul's new song is terrible and no I can't write a better one.
And what up with Sean Lennon, sitting next to Yoko and looking Exactly like His father back in the day with the beard and hat--- Weird.
How much was Pink singing or was she trying out for the Circus ?
I can't even mention Kris Kristoffersons embarassing apperance.
Ozzie is Ozzie, he can f*** it up and get away with it.

All in all it had some good moments but I'm just getting too old to care about most of it. I kept flipping channels too. Missed the one thing I wanted to see Carole King.

#382854 - 01/28/14 01:30 PM Re: The Grameys [Re: Bill Lewis]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Bill Lewis
So whats with Bang Bang banging on a piano with Metallica ?? Waste of a good piano. And talk about waste of a piano what's with Taylor Swifts spasms ?
Ringo "not really playing " and Pauls real drummer in the dark. BTW is it true that the Beatles used to redo some of Ringos's tracks when he wasn't around ???? LOL
I also think Paul's new song is terrible and no I can't write a better one.
And what up with Sean Lennon, sitting next to Yoko and looking Exactly like His father back in the day with the beard and hat--- Weird.
How much was Pink singing or was she trying out for the Circus ?
I can't even mention Kris Kristoffersons embarassing apperance.
Ozzie is Ozzie, he can f*** it up and get away with it.

All in all it had some good moments but I'm just getting too old to care about most of it. I kept flipping channels too. Missed the one thing I wanted to see Carole King.

No body cares what people think when your a Platinum selling artist multi millionaire.. wink

#382897 - 01/28/14 06:15 PM Re: The Grameys [Re: musicforyourday]
DMAC Offline

Loc: Nova Scotia, Canada
Probably the best Grammy show that I've seen in a while ! Great Production, Engineering,,,,,ARTISTS,,,,Great show. Anyone know of anyone hear in the show or part of it?

#382898 - 01/28/14 06:16 PM Re: The Grameys [Re: DMAC]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: DMAC
Probably the best Grammy show that I've seen in a while ! Great Production, Engineering,,,,,ARTISTS,,,,Great show. Anyone know of anyone hear in the show or part of it?

Anything in particular that stood out for you? confused1

#382899 - 01/28/14 06:33 PM Re: The Grameys [Re: DMAC]
Uncle Dave Offline

You're kidding, right? Aside from lights and pyrotechnics ... there were messed up lyrics, incorrect names, vocal passages missed, geeze - the first number wasn't even able to be played without censorship on the network. This is music's biggest night? Very forgettable performances by too many ... including some of my heros of long ago. Chicago's vocals are so weak, they hired Robin Thick to carry the load? Ringo sits in as a token bandmate, while the real drummer play in the dark? C'mon ... Production value aside ... the performances to be proud of were John Legend, Sarah Bariellis & Carole (musical GODESS) ... not much else was worthy of my time. Glad I DVR'd it so I could skip through.

I suspect that age differences will make some of us disagree, but as a lifelong musician ... I'm embarrassed by most of the Grammys. Too much Hollywood and not nearly enough heart. Sure, there were great moments ... but only snippets, really. The industry is in trouble if that was our shining achievement for the year.

#382900 - 01/28/14 06:45 PM Re: The Grameys [Re: Uncle Dave]
DMAC Offline

Originally Posted By: Uncle Dave

You're kidding, right? Aside from lights and pyrotechnics ... there were messed up lyrics, incorrect names, vocal passages missed, geeze - the first number wasn't even able to be played without censorship on the network. This is music's biggest night? Very forgettable performances by too many ... including some of my heros of long ago. Chicago's vocals are so weak, they hired Robin Thick to carry the load? Ringo sits in as a token bandmate, while the real drummer play in the dark? C'mon ... Production value aside ... the performances to be proud of were John Legend, Sarah Bariellis & Carole (musical GODESS) ... not much else was worthy of my time. Glad I DVR'd it so I could skip through.

I suspect that age differences will make some of us disagree, but as a lifelong musician ... I'm embarrassed by most of the Grammys. Too much Hollywood and not nearly enough heart. Sure, there were great moments ... but only snippets, really. The industry is in trouble if that was our shining achievement for the year.

#382901 - 01/28/14 06:49 PM Re: The Grameys [Re: DMAC]
DMAC Offline

Well,,, I must have missed everything you saw,,,,,,,What I saw was a great show !!!!

#382902 - 01/28/14 06:58 PM Re: The Grameys [Re: DMAC]
Dnj Offline

I agree totally with Dave on this one..I knew right off the bat with that opening beyonce thing that we were in for a rough ride..not to mention how they completely IGNORED so many other great genres of music without a mention.
Best part for me was the tribute to artists that have passed, at least that showed some respect for the music industry.

#382903 - 01/28/14 07:11 PM Re: The Grameys [Re: Dnj]
DMAC Offline

Sorry, I don't think it works that way,, they don't ignore some great genres,,,,, watch the show,,,,,,,,,,,,they covered everything,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,ligth'n up!!!!

#382904 - 01/28/14 07:39 PM Re: The Grameys [Re: DMAC]
Dnj Offline

Sorry, I don't think it works that way,, they don't ignore some great genres,,,,, watch the show,,,,,,,,,,,,they covered everything,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,ligth'n up!!!!

well let's see...I didn't see the likes of Tony Bennett,
Michael Buble, TAMELA MANN, Gov't Mule, etc, etc, ... confused1 just sayin

#382931 - 01/29/14 08:32 AM Re: The Grameys [Re: Uncle Dave]
musicforyourday Offline

total agreement with you Dave.

#382969 - 01/29/14 12:51 PM Re: The Grameys [Re: tony mads usa]
Diki Offline

Originally Posted By: tony mads usa
Diki... you misunderstood what I said ... I think it is a really good tune and I don't think anyone could stand still while listening to it, meaning you have to move to that rhythm ... and I think the EWF band is great also ...

My mistake, Tony... sorry.

I will read slower in future!

#382971 - 01/29/14 12:56 PM Re: The Grameys [Re: Diki]
tony mads usa Offline

... no harm , no foul ... wink just wanted you to know that even though I am 'old' I can appreciate some of the better 'new' music ... rocker

#382973 - 01/29/14 12:59 PM Re: The Grameys [Re: musicforyourday]
Diki Offline

Definitely a generational thing... very little off the charts these days you can play on mainstream TV without a lot of bleeping out. But that's our Mrs Grundy country for you, I guess. Go onto any kindergarten play yard nowadays, it's bleepfest! And don't get me started about high school...

If we can't be bothered to teach our kids to not swear, why shouldn't we hear it on TV? We all got cable, don't we? LOL

The Grammy's are very much like the Oscars... If you were a lighting technician, you are probably PO'd that you didn't get to see the industry's best get the award for Best Lighting. But if you were simply a movie goer, you'd fall asleep while those awards were presented. The Grammy's TV show is presented for Middle America to watch, not musicians!

#382987 - 01/29/14 01:24 PM Re: The Grameys [Re: Diki]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Again, Diki nailed it. AH, the power of the media....the significance of ratings!

R.

#382992 - 01/29/14 01:44 PM Re: The Grameys [Re: musicforyourday]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I ditched my TV and cable provider well over 10 years ago...kept the TV for my Playstation2 and watching DVD's.

Not watching TV gave me back several hours a day for more useful things, especially playing music.

My PC/Internet provides enough entertainment and information for me.

I'm also a fan of Audio Books and have "read" many terrific books I never had the patience to actually read. Burned them to CDs for long drives in the car, and it sure made road trips a lot more palatable.

Not having a TV doesn't work for everybody, but it sure works for me.

Ian

#382997 - 01/29/14 01:55 PM Re: The Grameys [Re: Diki]
Dnj Offline

#383001 - 01/29/14 02:08 PM Re: The Grameys [Re: musicforyourday]
Diki Offline

Still rocking the PS2, Ian? Maybe now the PS4 is out, PS3's at good used prices will be in your future... (get a slimline 160GB rather than the old fat ones)

GT6 on the PS3 ROCKS! Best driving and racing sim ever (short of some specialized PC sims)!

Time to join the 21st century, you gamer you!

#383005 - 01/29/14 02:25 PM Re: The Grameys [Re: Diki]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: Diki
Still rocking the PS2, Ian? Maybe now the PS4 is out, PS3's at good used prices will be in your future... (get a slimline 160GB rather than the old fat ones)

GT6 on the PS3 ROCKS! Best driving and racing sim ever (short of some specialized PC sims)!

Time to join the 21st century, you gamer you!

I'm really happy with the PS2 and GT4...the new games are definitely flashier, especially graphics-wise, but they have lost some of what made the earlier games so great.

Go on GT Planet and be surprised at how many have gone back to GT4.

There was nothing else (other game types) I was interested in enough to get the new platform.

I still have my Logitech G-25 wheel/pedals/stickshift/flappy paddles and that really makes it a lot more fun.

A few of us in the complex are battling for best time on Nürburgring using the same stock street car and real-life road tires.

It's more than a hoot.

I'm still happy in Century 20...ha ha!

Ian

PS...I even have a spare PS2 still in the box. I'm prepared!

#383015 - 01/29/14 03:24 PM Re: The Grameys [Re: musicforyourday]
Robbo Offline

Loc: Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
I love looking at fantastic chicks like the best of them. But i'm tired of seeing too much body instead of fantastic music now. Credit to Katie at least she has also recognised this as well.

Please girls dont try to cover poor songs with half naked appearances. These style makers are leading us down a path of poor music sells if the chicks are naked

#383016 - 01/29/14 03:27 PM Re: The Grameys [Re: musicforyourday]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I agree.

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#383038 - 01/29/14 07:51 PM Re: The Grameys [Re: musicforyourday]
Uncle Dave Offline

My kids don't swear. Fran's kids don't. Fran doesn't either. Kids can be taught, and it ain't gonna happen if all they see on TV is the ignorant side of their language. It's not pop culture, it's lazy writing.

#383062 - 01/30/14 12:28 AM Re: The Grameys [Re: musicforyourday]
Diki Offline

You THINK they don't swear! But what they do when they are with their peers might shock you!

And c'mon! You think Elvis would have been as big if his hips didn't gyrate, and he stood there like a stiff? Sex has ALWAYS sold...

Thank God! If I wasn't so sexy, I might have to do NH gigs, LOL surprised

#383063 - 01/30/14 12:36 AM Re: The Grameys [Re: musicforyourday]
Diki Offline

And Ian, it isn't the game that makes the new GT so great... Handling and tire physics have gone to new heights, but what makes it the game that rules is the online community.

Yes, TBH it isn't as engrossing a game as GT4, but OTOH, racing bots is for slowpokes! Until you are online, facing some of the best in the world (aliens walk amongst us!), you aren't really seeing what the genre has turned into.

Ignore the kids and the demolition derby rooms, there is a HUGE community of great clean drivers playing every day and night, all around the world with each other. Several GT Academy winners have gone on to podium at LeMans and many other races.

You are reading the wrong forum if all you see is whining about the offline game... Go to GT Planet's Racing forums, and see what great ORGANIZED racing looks like.

Bots are for tots!

(BTW, ranked in top 600 or so worldwide on one of the GT6 time trials... C7 Corvette round Daytona Road Course at night, LOL)

#383067 - 01/30/14 01:00 AM Re: The Grameys [Re: musicforyourday]
ianmcnll Offline

Hi Diki...I'm glad you like the new game and platform...it's just not for me.

I was never interested in on-line gaming of any kind, not just GT racing.

We don't race against bots either...we race against the clock on the same track using the same type car and as close to stock as possible. It's also how we compete on the forums.

Sometimes we outfit one model car with fully adjustable suspension, transmission and gearing and compete on set-up skills as well as driving abilities. Horsepower and tire type would be fixed, however.

Thanks for your views, and I admire your enthusiasm for the new GT series.

I may look at the next new generation PS (PS4 or even PS5). but, for now, I'm content.

Ian

#383104 - 01/30/14 09:42 AM Re: The Grameys [Re: Diki]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Originally Posted By: Diki
You THINK they don't swear! But what they do when they are with their peers might shock you!

And c'mon! You think Elvis would have been as big if his hips didn't gyrate, and he stood there like a stiff? Sex has ALWAYS sold...

Thank God! If I wasn't so sexy, I might have to do NH gigs, LOL surprised

You might not be able to handle a NH gig, but I'll bet it's not because you're too sexy! smile
I love to play at nursing homes. It's the most mentally rewarding thing you can do, but what they pay here is insulting. Too many guys doing it for free or for $30. I'd rather go play free at the Veteran's Hospitals! Guys think they are "helping the old folks". What they are doing is helping the already rich corporations that own the places.

#383158 - 01/30/14 06:37 PM Re: The Grameys [Re: ianmcnll]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
I may look at the next new generation PS (PS4 or even PS5). but, for now, I'm content.

Ian

Probably best to wait. Let Microsoft and Sony have some price cutting wars. You can bet in 6 months the price of the PS4 and Xbox One will come down. Unlike previous generations of game consoles which has had the Xbox come out ahead of the Playstation in terms of performance and ease of software development ... this generation the PS4 appears to be the winner.

#383160 - 01/30/14 07:10 PM Re: The Grameys [Re: Nigel]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: Nigel
Originally Posted By: ianmcnll

Ian

Probably best to wait. Let Microsoft and Sony have some price cutting wars. You can bet in 6 months the price of the PS4 and Xbox One will come down. Unlike previous generations of game consoles which has had the Xbox come out ahead of the Playstation in terms of performance and ease of software development ... this generation the PS4 appears to be the winner.

Thank you Nigel...I understand that you are involved in gaming as a profession, so you know the deal.

What is surprising is the longevity of the old PS2...I have the regular old one (still in use) and a brand new slim model still in box I bought for $25.

I think the Gran Turismo 4 game still has more actual fun and playabilty, and this surely brought to better realism with the Logitech G-25 wheel and pedals which we have secured to a strong table set up in front of the big old flat screen TV. We have a bucket seat from a Civic one of the guys mounted on a computer chair platform...even has a seatbelt...ha ha.

The G-25 wheel is that sensitive, you can actually feel the tires slip and the different textures in pavement...it has several motors in the column part, and the wheel was nearly $300 several years ago..of course the GT4 game itself provides the neat feedback. Yes, the graphics aren't as good as the new games, but it doesn't seem to matter.

We run against the clock (time trial) with the tires in the game that replicate actual street tires...man, it does feel pretty real...some of the guys here never played a driving game and they are blown away. We are like a bunch of kids.

I can only imagine how incredibly accurate a newer driving game will be on the PS4...my only concern would be that I may need to buy a new wheel, and a really good one like the G-25 would likely be costly.

Have you ever played a PS2 game called ICO?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ico

I was lucky to get a new one, following the advice of some avid gamers, and I must say it was, and still is, the most fascinating and compelling game I've ever played...it's not a violent shoot-em-up, but a game of strategy and planning, but not so hard as to be discouraging.

It's worth the price of a PS2 to play it on if you can find the game.

Thanks again for the heads-up.

Ian

PS...in regards to old game platforms...they seem to have become popular again, as have the old games...graphics aren't as good (comparatively) but apparently, a lot more gaming fun and some of those old games were pretty challenging.

#383236 - 01/31/14 02:22 PM Re: The Grameys [Re: musicforyourday]
Diki Offline

Well, each to his own, Ian, but time trialling is NOT racing!

Time trial, you learn ONE line and speed, braking points etc.. But in racing, when in a pack, you have to be a lot more flexible. Sure, out front or trailing by a bunch, you can run the racing line. But the challenge comes from being able to drive all the OTHER lines as fast as they can be taken, and also the skill to know when to pass, when not to pass, when to let someone past, when to block, getting used to the driving style of your opponents (they all differ), basically the strategy of the REAL sport.

A soccer game where you just kicked balls into an empty net isn't much of a soccer game. And a racing game where you are the ONLY guy on track isn't much better, IMO.

Find a friend with a PS3 and GT5/6, and go online in a clean room. Once you do, there's no going back...

#383258 - 01/31/14 03:32 PM Re: The Grameys [Re: musicforyourday]
ianmcnll Offline

I guess it's "time trialing" we're doing, Diki...but, it's what we enjoy.

I going to wait for a PS4 or even a PS5...it's nice not to be in a hurry...except when you're "time trialing" of course.

Thanks for the suggestions all the same.

Happy trials to you...mmmm...that has something Roy Roger-ery about it.

Ian

#383262 - 01/31/14 03:43 PM Re: The Grameys [Re: musicforyourday]
Diki Offline

Thing is, the PS4 is going to go to the XBox's subscription model for online. Currently, the PS3's online features are free, so now's a good time (we've probably a two to three year window for PD to keep up the GT6 PS3 servers) to pick up a used PS3 and GT6. Your wheel will work just fine with it.

GT6's AI has got quite a bit better, but it still doesn't challenge you a lot if you have good skills, so I can understand why, on the GT4 game, you tend to want to race alone (because of the AI, no reflection on your skills). But if you are a fan of the SPORT (rather than simply a 'gamer'), I can't imagine how anyone could turn down the chance to race against other skilled drivers...

But, each to his own.

#383271 - 01/31/14 04:35 PM Re: The Grameys [Re: musicforyourday]
ianmcnll Offline

Thanks again, Diki...I think the PS4 will likely be my next platform...I'm not interested in on-line racing or on-line gaming in general.

The GT4 game is a terrific diversion, and oodles of fun especially using regular street tires, and not the default sport type.

It also magnifies the physics of the game, which are pretty darn good, and using street tires pretty much gets rid of the under-steer that plagues many racing games, not just the Gran Turismo series. We also do "drifting" contests as well...the right tires and proper suspension settings are vital to good drifting.

To me, gaming has always been a private adventure, which is why games like ICO, and Tomb Raider, appeal to me so much, and, racing off-line on GT4 is still a lot of fun, especially with having the wheel, using street tires and setting the AI difficulty level to 10 (highest setting).

Much like our arrangers, there is a lot in these games to keep one very entertained, if you dig in and learn how to set up and/or make adjustments.

Again, thanks for your suggestions.

I'll let you know if I get anything new...another pension kicks in at the end of April, so I'll have a bit more "play" money.

Ian

#383292 - 01/31/14 07:29 PM Re: The Grameys [Re: musicforyourday]
Diki Offline

I guess it's a bit like playing music. Some like the solo scene, some like playing in bands...

Me, I like RACING! Been going to races since I was a little kid (grew up near Silverstone, saw all the greats there in the 60's and 70's), now I follow F1 and Grand-Am/ALMS (now combined into one series, the new Tudor United Sports Car Challenge) prototype and GT sports car racing. I was going to go to Daytona for the 24hr, but a gig came up (dammit!), so now I have to wait for the Sebring 12hr.

I've been at Sebring several times, along with Road Atlanta for the Petit LeMans 3 times, and last year went to the GrandAm/Indy weekend at Barber for the first time (amazing facility). I really wanted to pop my Daytona cherry this year, but maybe next year it will happen.

But, anyhoo... Watching qualy is OK, but the real show is the racing. Particularly mixed class racing, there's action and passing on every corner, every straight, every lap! And this is where the REAL skill comes into it. Some of the best drivers in the world are mixed class devotees (Webber is moving on from F1 this year to driving Porsche's new Le Mans prototype, saw Nick Heidfeld in the Rebellion Racing prototype last year in Atlanta) and consider it the highest challenge the sport provides...

But bottom line is, they RACE. Qualy is just the warm-up!

I don't know if you have had a poor experience racing online before, or just that you've never had the opportunity to try, but don't rule it out. Quite honestly, if GT5/6 had no online component, it would rapidly die the death. Racing bots is for noobs, and TT's get lonely (and boring, sorry, but you can only spend so long trying to shave a thou or two!), but a roomful of talented drivers, all driving by FIA rules (none of that BTCC thuggery, LOL!), and it is like being at the races. Only, YOU are the star driver, not Jordan Taylor, or Allan McNeish...!

Try it before you knock it, Ian.

#383299 - 01/31/14 08:00 PM Re: The Grameys [Re: musicforyourday]
ianmcnll Offline

I'm not knockin' it, Diki. No bad experiences, either.

Even if I was to get a new platform and the latest GT game, on-line racing still would not interest me.

I'm glad you enjoy the game the way you do, but, please try to understand, that I'm already content with the status quo.

I'm far from bored with the setup I have...if I was, I would have upgraded already.

Between time spent on the Tyros4, and the other interests I have, my days are pretty much comfortably busy...or busily comfortable.

As far as bands go...I play when the opportunity is there, and I use the arranger for the rest of my musical endeavors. Right now I'm on a self-imposed gigging sabbatical till at least the Spring or early Summer. Some tentative plans in the works, but, I have the advantage of not needing the gigs or work, so time will tell what will develop.

So, once again, thanks for your advice and suggestions.

Drive safely...the life you save might be mine!

Ian

#383378 - 02/01/14 10:26 AM Re: The Grameys [Re: musicforyourday]
Diki Offline

Slow in, fast out!

No problem, Ian. Whatever gets you through the day.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online