SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#381546 - 01/16/14 01:22 AM Re: Yamaha Audio in Styles [Re: spalding1968]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
But suggesting that any manufacturer "would make the MIDI drum styles sound so bad you wouldn't want to use them" would NEVER happen. So why even bother saying it.

Personally I like MIDI drum tracks and I do agree that they are more flexible to use than audio styles. But audio styles just offer some alternate choices that's all.

#381552 - 01/16/14 05:53 AM Re: Yamaha Audio in Styles [Re: DannyUK]
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
"Thanks spalding... someone understands me!"

I probably would not stretch it that far mate ha ha !

But you are right . The difference between real audio and great samples of drum grooves played through midi drums is very marginal . I remember this point being made in discussions about the audya . The arguments are just as valid today .

Edited by spalding1968 (01/16/14 05:57 AM)

#381559 - 01/16/14 08:45 AM Re: Yamaha Audio in Styles [Re: Nigel]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Nigel

Personally I like MIDI drum tracks and I do agree that they are more flexible to use than audio styles. But audio styles just offer some alternate choices that's all.

I like MIDI drum tracks too, but after playing a client's Tyros5-76 last evening, I must say the audio drum based styles were very impressive...the client, who is a pro for many years, really liked them as well and it was one of the first things he mentioned...the T5 is replacing his Tyros3, and he still has and uses a 9000Pro (he likes having 76 keys).

I think the most important words in your post are "alternate choices" with emphasis on "choices".

At one time, using up 40 spaces for differently made styles in an arranger's on-board factory banks would/could be kind of wasteful especially if many of those styles didn't appeal to you, or had very limited editing compared to those with MIDI drum tracks.

With today's arrangers sporting virtually unlimited storage for styles, it's not actually relevant anymore.

I went to the clinic with some reservations on the audio drum based styles, considering some of the criticism leveled at them here on SZ, but, I must say, they were quite effective, especially those in the Latin and Swing/Jazz categories.

If I needed a 76 note arranger, I'd sell or trade up my Tyros4 for a Tyros5-76 in a heartbeat, but I'm perfectly happy with 61 for arranger duties, so I'll stick with what I have, as most of the new features wouldn't be useful for my needs.

But again, the operative word is "choice", and, it's nice to see a company at least adventuring into new territory and taking the risks involved.

Ian

#381561 - 01/16/14 09:13 AM Re: Yamaha Audio in Styles [Re: DannyUK]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Hardly new territory, my Canadian Amigo. They are just a shadow of what Ketron does with them! However, I did use and enjoy several on the S950. They did not seem out of place in regard to the midi styles.

#381564 - 01/16/14 09:38 AM Re: Yamaha Audio in Styles [Re: DannyUK]
Dnj Offline

Were the audio styles on the S-950 the Guinea Pig?
Are the T5 audio styles same ones different & better sounding in some way? or? headphone

Edited by Dnj (01/16/14 10:04 AM)

#381567 - 01/16/14 09:59 AM Re: Yamaha Audio in Styles [Re: DonM]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: DonM
Hardly new territory, my Canadian Amigo. They are just a shadow of what Ketron does with them! However, I did use and enjoy several on the S950. They did not seem out of place in regard to the midi styles.

Yes, you are right, Don, but I was thinking it was something new for Yamaha to try...they usually are a conservative company and I was quite surprised to see and hear the new audio drum based styles, both on the S950 and now the Tyros5.

My buddy with the Tyros5-76 really likes them, and, he felt they were well integrated within the regular MIDI based drum styles, which he also thoroughly enjoys.

He simply says, the audio styles have their more specific uses, just like any other unique styles on an arranger, like the FreePlay styles, another cool new idea recently added by Yamaha.

Going from playing an audio drum based style to a MIDI drum based style was different, but in a musical and well coordinated way. The audio styles aren't perfect, but that also seems to add to their authenticity.

Again, it's a choice for the player to make...he/she is not forced into using them if they don't appeal for some reason, although, I find it hard to see why...I really thought they were very well done.

Ian

#381569 - 01/16/14 10:11 AM Re: Yamaha Audio in Styles [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj
Was the audio styles on teh S950 the Guinea Pig? Are the T5 audio styles same ones different sounding in some way or?

They must be the same type as on the S950, Donny, but there are more of them.

I almost didn't expect to like them due to all the criticism, but like them I did.

My client is Glenn Campbell's former piano player (early years) and is a superb musician...the audio styles were one of the first things he mentioned, but, he also said the other styles were also excellent as well.

His only real disappointment was with most of the SA Acoustic Pianos, and he and I both agree on that point. We both found them thin in the mid-range, and like me on my Tyros4, he uses Live!Grand Piano as his "go to" instrument.

I also thought the size and shape of the Tyros5-76 made it very impressive and professional looking, although it may be a bit of an issue with those using small cars.

Ian

#381570 - 01/16/14 10:14 AM Re: Yamaha Audio in Styles [Re: DannyUK]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I guess my degree of deafness must be much greater than even I anticipated. I cannot hear the things that DNJ says he hears, I enjoy using the audio styles, especially the swing and Latin styles, and I guess my audiences must be a deaf as me, cause they don't seem to hear anything but nice music from those audio styles. And, a lot of the styles we use on a daily basis, have either subtle or no drums at all - just a great bass line. I guess I just don't get it, but maybe that's a good thing.

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#381571 - 01/16/14 10:55 AM Re: Yamaha Audio in Styles [Re: DannyUK]
Dnj Offline

Gary there is no way around it the Drums are disconnected from the style and sound like they were recorded in another room down the block......I wish I could delete them to make room in my Ram...

#381572 - 01/16/14 11:11 AM Re: Yamaha Audio in Styles [Re: DannyUK]
ianmcnll Offline

As we can see, opinions will vary.

Some people love the SA Pianos, which don't appeal to me at all.

Regarding the audio drum based styles, I found the drums very well integrated, as did my friend Johnny.

Thankfully, if you don't like how they sound, you don't need to use them. There are lots of factory styles I don't use on an arranger, mostly in the Schlager category, but that's how they are sold.

The only time the Audio drum based styles need to be put in RAM and take up space is if you do edits to them (they have to be stored there).

Certainly style storage is no longer an issue with the advent of USB Drives? It sure is no longer a problem for me.

Ian

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online