SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#38068 - 07/22/02 02:08 PM System Requirements
Leon Offline

Loc: British Columbia
I need some advice please.
I'm looking at setting up a computer based system. ??Would this be insufficient, sufficient or is it overkill...or???
Intel Pentium 4-2.26GHz
Memory: 512MB
MicroSoft Windows XP Home Edition
Hard Drive: 80.0GB 7200 RPM
CD-RW: LiteOn48X12XCDRW IDE Kit incl. NERO S/W (LTR48125W)
Creative SoundBlaster Extigy (Dolby, Digital,
SPDIF, Remote Control)
Already have Pioneer Speakers.
Not really knowing enough about what's required...would this be an okay system??
$1900 (Can.)
Thanx in advance for any response.

#38069 - 07/22/02 04:42 PM Re: System Requirements
800dv Offline

Loc: atlanta, georgia, usa
What is wrong with you people an PCs ????? Are you just affraid of having a REAL computer I.E. MAC ??? And second if you do flush you're money down the toilet on a PC that will only lock up on you especially with Windows XP home , Sound Blaster cards are NO GOOD for pro audio . The AUDIOPHILE 24/96 is a pro quality audio card that woks both in PC and MAC and is less than $200.00 . So there is no excuse for getting a cheap multimedia card like Sound Blaster . I don't think you will do this , plus someone else who is affraid of MAC will tell you not to as well , But . The MAC G-4 dual 1gig processor is equal to a 5 gig PC ( since there is no such thing as a 5 gig PC , what does that mean ???? The mac G-4 is the fastest computer you can buy PERIOD ! ) What ever the processor speed is on a single processor MAC - Double it and that is what it's comparible to on a PC I.E. a 700mhz Mac is as fast or faster than a 1.4gig PC . Since you have $1900.00 to spend check out www.apple.com and see all they have to offer . Apple is SUPERIOR in music , digital photo , digital movies , they are SUPERIOR PERIOD . They run faster , they run flawlessly more often than any PC ever will . Look at the MAC , plus people will say you can't find software , those people are morons and they have no clue as to where to look . $1900.00 is a lot of money , I hope you don't piss it away on a PC .

#38070 - 07/22/02 11:43 PM Re: System Requirements
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
800dv. I was very interested in your comments about the MAC. Myself have always gone down the PC route following my very enjoyable days making music with the ATARI.
I have often thought of going the MAC direction next time. My main problem and no doubt many other PC uses is the fact that over the years we have accumulated a vast amount of good software for all sorts of purposes. Some bought,some cracked. To start obtaining all this software for the MAC would be very costly.
I am happy to follow your suggestion further if you can point us in the direction of any FREE or SHAREWARE software of all types.
Bill Gates Product is without a doubt a pain. Even the latest Windows XP Professional gives problems. I believe that the MAC desktop is built into the system as was the ATARI. ?.

Graham UK

#38071 - 07/23/02 03:38 AM Re: System Requirements
bitdump3 Offline

Loc: Fano, Italy
I've used both platforms for many years now.

The truth is they both still suck, buy a dedicated recorder. Unless you can afford a full blown protools (Mac) system using the dedicated hardware from digi, and a good control surface, computer based recording is pretty lame to this day for most of the consumer stuff.

Now being realistic, either PC or Mac would be fine. As long as you set the machine up correctly and work with in it's limitation then both will serve the role well. Mac is easier than the PC over all to deal with.

As far a the PC spec you mention, it would be fine but don't use the soundblaster if audio quality is of high importance. I am assuming the card is bundled with the machine, it wont hurt to have it in there unless there is a conflict but those are often easy to get around. I would avoid ME, and XP and go with Win2000 as it is more stable if tweaked correctly for your needs. Also stick with Dell and Gateway if you can, or better yet build the PC yourself avoiding some junk you probally don't need. They are just easier machines to deal with once you pop the box open.

I personally use a PC as all my old macs, aside from my Mac SE and even older IIe, died. Still use the old macs but just for shits and giggles or if I really want the 80's feel. Time for new one accually. Still I do a pretty comfy 8 tracks of audio and tons of sample editing on a 255MHz PC. I can do 16 if I want to risk some problems. Needless to say I have more than enough outboard to avoid the use of plugins. If I needed to run them my machine wouldn't be remotely useful.

It really depend on your needs. I personally don't see the Mac vs PC argument holding as much weight as it has in the past. Over all the mac is still a little better but those systems are costly. For the consumer stuff it is all about the same these days. You really need how to learn to use either machine well before either will be stable for you.

#38072 - 07/23/02 08:36 AM Re: System Requirements
Leon Offline

Gee thanx a lot 800dv.
I was asking for some advice.
If I wanted to get pissed on I would have just spoken to my ex-wife.

Graham UK, bitdump3...thank you for your input.
..Leon

#38073 - 07/23/02 10:47 AM Re: System Requirements
DMC Offline

Loc: NY City
800dv,
FYI, here in the studio(Omega Studios in Rockville MD(yes, Ive finally moved out of NY)), our G4 with OS X crashes way more than any of our PCs. OS X sucks. Ive been using macs since they came out and they are no longer in general any better than PCs for music, with the possible exception of PRO-TOOLS(its rock solid on a non-OS X MAC with SCSI). MACs used to be alot more stable until they started using IDE hard drives(dont even get me started on OS X). As far as speed, yes Macs are faster especially for things like photoshop and Avid/Protools systems, but then again those programs have always been optimized for use on Macs as the ideal system. But how many of us can afford a Protools system? When it comes to PCs in general you really don't know what your talking about(do you have one to actually compare?),otherwise I agree with you about soundblasters....
Leon, You might want to consider also some studio monitors instead of the Pioneers. There are alot of decent bi-amped near field monitors out there for really reasonable prices....

Don't believe the 10-year old hype. Things are alot different now.

DudeManCentral

[This message has been edited by DMC (edited 07-23-2002).]

#38074 - 07/23/02 11:52 AM Re: System Requirements
800dv Offline

DMC , only you could manage to get a MAC and OS-X to crash . Leon I would be more than happy to point you in the right direcion for software . Check out www.apple.com for all the specs and see if any machine in particular makes you happy . Also you can check out www.apple-history.com for a look at slighty older macs . I can certainly understand already having alot of software . If you lived closer to me I would hook you up in software but I know some places where you can look . Go to a store also and check out both and really play around them too .

#38075 - 07/24/02 03:35 PM Re: System Requirements
800dv Offline

Oh yes , DMC I also forgot to tell you that I build network servers and windows trouble shooting . I also make a living building and rebuilding PCs because of there poor design and poor OS systems . Don't get me wrong , I don't want everyone to buy a mac , I like making money off of the PC people , and since they are such junk , my money train always comes in . The main reason Macs are faster is because # 1 they don't have up to 3 conflicting opertating systems ( I.E. BIOS , DOS , and windows ) , #2 superior processor instruction set and superior OS to drive processors and limit bottlenecking . #3 faster ram application and design . This is all not by mistake , they have always been this way from the 128k Macintosh all the way up . Parts for mac is more expensive , but they last longer . Most PC users pay people like me to super charge their PC just to get it to do what a MAC can right out of the box .

#38076 - 07/24/02 04:41 PM Re: System Requirements
aj Offline

Loc: new zealand
Just my 2 cents
Leon are you planning to use the PC for all you computing (ie internet MSOffice etc )?
I am a firm believer that this is a main reason for poor PC performance .if so you might want to consider making a extra partition and a dual booting system with the music stuff only (basically just whatever software you use for music and windows and nothiung else ('sept your music files of course)).I have to agree with everyone about rethinking the sb live .
800dv man you are bitter !! I hope you don't work for the postal service .Every 'Mac user I know will never go back to a PC .My PIII 1Ghz/512mb dual 20gb/7200rpm machine with a Lexicon Core2 Audio card ,has certainly crashed BUT (and I know this is a fairly large claim) It has NEVER Crashed during a recoding session .
It has nothing but windows 98se,Logic audio,Wavelab,acid and a few plugins on it.
(I'm not trying to stir you up just commenting that not all PC's a Complete pieces of S#$T).

#38077 - 07/26/02 08:35 AM Re: System Requirements
Leon Offline

Whatever I decide upon, it's gonna be strictly dedicated to music, it won't even have an internet connection.
I've shyed away from Mac's only because we had them (I emphasise "HAD") where I work.
Unfriendly, Prone to breakdown, Incompatible with a lot of other systems...Gee sounds like a lot of the people I work with don't it!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online