SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#37910 - 09/22/02 12:19 AM 4 track recorders
Rael Offline

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
Hey everyone,
I want to get a basic recording setup happening and want to buy a 4 track recorder. I don't have a huge budget, I just want to get it ASAP so I can start getting ideas down - I'll upgrade to something fantastic when I can afford it. Probably wouldn't want to go too far over $500. I know that Yamaha, Tascam and Fostex are the names to consider here, but I have no idea what to get. First or second hand are both good. I also want to get a semi decent microphone, but again don't want to go crazy with the price. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks a lot!

#37911 - 09/22/02 09:17 PM Re: 4 track recorders
WS Offline

If it is just you I would go with Cakewalk software, get a great audiocard (not a multimedia card) a good mic and a small used mixer like a Mackie 1202.

#37912 - 09/22/02 11:21 PM Re: 4 track recorders
Rael Offline

yep firstly i've had a lot of problems doing things on computers in the past, my computer always seems to get huge internal problems in it that i can't work out how to fix. at the moment my computer just will not communicate with my synths and i have been trying to fix it for ages, i have no idea what's wrong. plus there is the noise factor of the computer which i can do without. i don't have a great computer setup but i don't want to spend money upgrading it if nothing is going to work for me. i'm not great with computers to start off with. plus i want something that's a bit more portable.

i am really curious though - what do you mean by good sound card? I mean what brands/models would you suggest i consider if i was going to go that way?

also what mic would you suggest?

[This message has been edited by Rael (edited 09-22-2002).]

#37913 - 09/22/02 11:34 PM Re: 4 track recorders
MRT1212 Offline

Loc: Foster City
shure sm58 for mic

#37914 - 10/01/02 08:36 AM Re: 4 track recorders
Leon Offline

Loc: British Columbia
Greetings Rael,
What are your experiences in recording....are we starting from scratch here??
If so, and you wish to go 4 track because of budget limitations and you want to get a basic feel for recording....How it works and more importantly, why it works... I might suggest a used MK4, or Fostex X18, Tascam Portastudio, something like that. Computer set-ups are all very nice, but what's the point of letting a machine do everything for you and not let you learn the basics.
My own personal advice...learn the basics on an analogue system, like one of the three above...then move on to digital, when your comfortable, not when someone says you have to.
I know this reply is gonna generate a lotta flack, but be careful not to fall into the "I'll Do It All For Ya" trap.
Just My Thots..
Good Luck...Leon http://www.angelfire.com/rock3/fastforward/

#37915 - 10/04/02 09:17 PM Re: 4 track recorders
WS Offline

If you don't understand computers than just get a fostex or something similar. Just press record and go...the quality won't be great but since you don't want to use computers to record you certainly aren't going to want to figure out how to edit with one...recording is the easy part.

#37916 - 10/07/02 01:53 AM Re: 4 track recorders
Rael Offline

Thanks for the replies everyone, especially Leon, I think you got the idea of what i was asking.. i really just want to do recording simply and basically first so I have an idea what its all about before getting involved with more complex equipment. I just bought a tascam 414 second hand so now I am set. I'm borrowing a mic of a friend that I have a feeling is pretty dodgy, so next step is upgrading to a decent one.

thanks again!

#37917 - 12/03/02 06:54 PM Re: 4 track recorders
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Another route to go, if you're thinking 4-track, is minidisc. You want to stay with Yamaha. Go to ebay wher they can be had for 250 - 300

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online