SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#379650 - 12/28/13 09:58 AM Let's talk about monitors...
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Going on in my attempts to re-build a recording environment in my home, I am now considering the purchase of a new (active) monitor system, one that doesn't cost more than 1000 euros or 1400 USD.
I have already done quite a bit of research and so have narrowed the choice to the models listed below and would love to hear your opinion, not only about them, but also about your own choices, and what has been your overall experience in this area.
Here are my candidates:

Adam A7X

Mackie MR8 Mk III

eventually coupled with the MR10S Mk III subwoofer

Genelec 8030 BPM

I have listed them in order of preference; I am presently unable to go and try them live, so had to rely on Internet reviews. What they have in common, besides the price range, is the weight (between 5 and 10 kg, or 12-24 pounds apiece) and -supposedly- the sonic quality.
Comments, opinions and suggestions are all more than welcome.
Thanks!

#379658 - 12/28/13 10:45 AM Re: Let's talk about monitors... [Re: Dreamer]
mirza Offline

Loc: london,ontario.canada
This Mackie model is not in the same league as the other two.

TYROS 5,BEHRINGER X32PRODUCER,YAMAHA DSR112,JBL PRX618s XLF,EV ZLX12p,SENNHEISER E945,....ETC

#379661 - 12/28/13 11:06 AM Re: Let's talk about monitors... [Re: mirza]
Dreamer Offline

Originally Posted By: mirza
This Mackie model is not in the same league as the other two.

You mean above or below?
It's a new model: here is the review, just published on Harmony Central:

Mackie MR8 Mk 3 Review

#379667 - 12/28/13 11:34 AM Re: Let's talk about monitors... [Re: Dreamer]
Saswick Offline

Loc: Garstang, Preston, Lancashire,...
Hi Dreamer

I use a handy piece of kit from Focusrite. Using a good pair of headphones you can reproduce, virtually, many different monitors a the click of a mouse. It works very well and is a very cheap alternative to expensive monitors.

Regards

Col

Attachments
IMGP1029.JPG (70 downloads)

#379675 - 12/28/13 12:17 PM Re: Let's talk about monitors... [Re: Dreamer]
Dreamer Offline

Col,

you are definitely a very wise man... and I could learn one or two tricks from you.

Focusrite VRM

#379678 - 12/28/13 12:41 PM Re: Let's talk about monitors... [Re: Dreamer]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Recording is a funny business, in that once you go to a certain level with one component, then every other component, ie. cables, mics, room acoustical treatment, etc., becomes a potential 'weak link' in the recording chain.

The Adam Ax7's, which rises to at least Project Studio level, would be my hands down first choice, but only if all other components were of equal quality. This includes the 'golden ear' of at least a semi-professional producer/mixer/masterer. What is the object of your recordings? How important is perfection. You can probably produce something with 90% of the quality with 30-40% of the cost of TOTL recording gear. I think your buying decisions must be based on the quality level (of the finished product) that you think you must have. JMO.

chas

#379680 - 12/28/13 12:53 PM Re: Let's talk about monitors... [Re: cgiles]
Dreamer Offline

Originally Posted By: cgiles

The Adam Ax7's, which rises to at least Project Studio level, would be my hands down first choice, but only if all other components were of equal quality. JMO.

chas

Chas,

opinions are exactly what I am looking for, and yours is much appreciated. smile

#379683 - 12/28/13 01:10 PM Re: Let's talk about monitors... [Re: Dreamer]
Dnj Offline

I got these Rubicon Monitors from Frank at AudioworksCT and they have done a great job for my recording projects at home..
love the ribbon tweeters headphone

The Samson Rubicon Active Ribbon Studio Monitors feature 2-inch Velocity Ribbon high frequency transducers that compliment a 2-way active system capable of reproducing playback in its most natural form. Ribbon drivers have no resonant color and even dispersion, unlike a traditional diaphragm tweeter. The ribbon driver itself has no added sound characteristics. They are completely neutral. Ribbon technology gives you clean accurate and precise listening, which is why these monitors sound so natural and lifelike, just like a studio monitor should.

Attachments
Rubicon monitors.jpg

Edited by Dnj (12/28/13 01:11 PM)

#379689 - 12/28/13 02:02 PM Re: Let's talk about monitors... [Re: Dnj]
Dreamer Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj
I got these Rubicon Monitors from Frank at AudioworksCT and they have done a great job for my recording projects at home..
love the ribbon tweeters headphone

Ribbon tweeters... like the Adam A7X... that's brilliant!
Thank you, Donny!

Sound on sound review of the Samson Rubicon

#379690 - 12/28/13 02:06 PM Re: Let's talk about monitors... [Re: Dreamer]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Andrea, if you are just recording, why not just use a quality headset, thus eliminating any problems with feedback looping, etc...? Just wondering.

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online