Originally Posted By: Saswick
Diki: Who said anything about mixing like the Pro's, for me it's about being able to produce a half descent recording without breaking the bank.

No disrespect to anyone here but how many, myself included, fully understands the way to use the raft of Plug-in's available on the modern DAW.

You can spend as much as you like on Monitors but it doesn't mean you will produce quality recording.

Hearing a problem within a mix is one thing sorting it is another story.

Col

Well, there's THOUSANDS spent by players with very questionable playing skills, obtaining the very highest quality arrangers when they cannot bring the fullest out of them... I see no difference here. TBH, the lower your mixing and mastering skills, the better the gear you need. A skilled engineer can get pretty good results out of almost anything, because he knows how to compensate for it, but the amateur or semi-pro really needs as few impediments to his limited skills as he can afford to have.

If you are playing through monitors with deficiencies in certain audio ranges, it matters little how much command of plug-ins and signal processing gear you have. Bad monitors will color the sound, and headphones will screw up your soundfield awareness. There's no easy shortcut (or nobody would EVER buy costly monitors!). No offense, but if all anyone wants is HALF decent, a cheap pair of iPod headphones will do, a crappy set of computer speakers will do, the built-in speakers in your cheap arranger will do...

But if you've spent thousands on a decent arranger, obviously, HALF decent isn't what you are after..!