SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#37920 - 11/09/00 12:36 PM Any interesting vocal effects anyone?
loanstar Offline

Loc: Calgary. AB, Canada
Well...

Just curious if anyone has discovered any neat effects for vocals. I ust Cubase 5 and although I am satisfied with the way my vocals are sounding overall, sometimes I would like to thicken them up, or smooth them out.

I notice in alot of commersial tracks, (mostly dance) the vocals seem to have this dual effect. It's not a harmony, or a unison as far as I can tell, but after composing instrumental music for 8 years, I really could use any tips, tricks or, dare I say it, SECRETS regarding vocals.

Any good plugin reccomendations would also be welcome.

Thanks everyone!

#37921 - 11/09/00 02:19 PM Re: Any interesting vocal effects anyone?
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
Most wave editor software is capable of doing this. I would recommand cooledit, allthough there will be others coming up with other editors..
I did not enhance voices though as I do use external gear to do this., but I know it can be done by software.
Just load the wave or aif file and you will enjoy the possible and weird effects...
Probably there are some tips about your specific question on the website of Syntrillium as there was a user group I can remember...I haven't been there a long time ,
so I don't have the link, but any search on the web will find it..

Fred

#37922 - 11/11/00 01:52 PM Re: Any interesting vocal effects anyone?
Smitty Offline

Loc: Holtwood, PA. USA
Mmmmmm.......Doubling effect. Ive heard you can copy your voice track into another track and detune it.A heavy chorus might yield a similar result. If you did the dual track copy and detuned one track and then panned one hard left and the other hard right. My cakewalk program also has a harmonic funtion that allows you to do mostly the same thing. If by doubling you meant some sort of a slapback effect, that is pretty easy to achieve in most delay effects.

------------------
Smitty

#37923 - 11/11/00 02:53 PM Re: Any interesting vocal effects anyone?
loanstar Offline

Hey Smitty,

I think that sounds like what I need. I will experiment with that and try it out.

Thanks

#37924 - 11/22/00 12:40 AM Re: Any interesting vocal effects anyone?
MORPH! Offline

Loc: Laguna Beach, California, Unit...
pre-convolve. say what you said before you said it! You can make is subtle enough to make people want to hear whats next.
pre-convolve inversal. similar to above except inside-out. Watch it nah, if you don't keep a limit on the profiling length, you'll have some poopie.

freddynl hits the bullseye. Cooledit. David Johnston writes a fantastic convolution routine (syntrillium) a really versatile one and it blows away Steinberg's.
WTG David."Good Sound Stuff"

------------------
MORPH! Getting it together like you've never heard before™.
morphproductions@hotmail.com
MORPH! Group (west)
Laguna Beach, California 92652-0049

[This message has been edited by MORPH! (edited 11-22-2000).]

#37925 - 11/22/00 12:46 AM Re: Any interesting vocal effects anyone?
loanstar Offline

Morph,

Could you elaborate a bit? I think I understand that you mean to have the vocal subtly lead itself in with an effected vocal preceding the main lead. Am I right?

If not, could you run over some basic steps to explain how you'd do it?

Cheers

#37926 - 11/22/00 12:52 AM Re: Any interesting vocal effects anyone?
MORPH! Offline

Loc: Laguna Beach, California, Unit...
oh hi...a real live thread!
Yes, the effect precedes the source. since every thing goes to the right, you have to turn the wav around backwards to pre convolve. But remember too long = poopie, and it's not a turd you can polish either! When convolving, ALWAYS have undo enabled!

MORPH!

Oh alright then here's the secret. first thing is convolving is a bitch. If you always remember that it will be a beautiful bitch LOL You can develop the knack to convolve by starting out with convolving a very echoey reverberence. Sample different profiles and record the results remembering the distances between the pulsations of the signal. you will find your limitation of that originating signal that way too. It develops an acuitie to doing it. Sort of like LOL Majongg! After a while you will know what you can do with what, notha tip: vowel portions of the vocal convolve in a more conformative manner than consenants,
which sound way cluttered, BUT are the best convolutions of all if you just give them a feather's touch worth. The result is that very trippie fry on acid sound but it is so sensitive, you have to just barely add a profiled amount to get that sound.
------------------
MORPH! Getting it together like you've never heard before™.
morphproductions@hotmail.com
MORPH! Group (west)
Laguna Beach, California 92652-0049

[This message has been edited by MORPH! (edited 11-22-2000).]

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online