SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#379246 - 12/23/13 04:39 PM Posting a performance on S-Z
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
One thing thing I have to remember - which no doubt causes some trepidation in posting a performance on this forum - is that here, I am performing for other musicians who are going to listen with a much more critical ear than my usual audiences ... but I do so anyway, and if there is constructive criticism to give - other than "YOU SUCK" - I accept it ...
Another thing - that I have said before - is that when we perform 'live' we may miss a chord or a note and it MAY go unnoticed to most in the audience, as they are listening to the overall performce ... but here, if something doesn't sound just right, the listener may very well listen again and again - I know I sometimes do - and hear that same mistake over and over ... frown
"That being said", I think it would be great if more people started posting some of their work ...

keys rocker

#379251 - 12/23/13 04:44 PM Re: Posting a performance on S-Z [Re: tony mads usa]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
HEHE, I just posted what I know to be a very mediocre performance, and nobody said I sucked. Must be the Christmas spirit has overcome us!
smile

#379252 - 12/23/13 04:46 PM Re: Posting a performance on S-Z [Re: DonM]
tony mads usa Offline

Don... the only thing I would raise a question about in your performance was the harmony at the very end ...
MERRY CHRISTMAS ... grin

#379254 - 12/23/13 04:48 PM Re: Posting a performance on S-Z [Re: tony mads usa]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I feel, for peer review, or for a CD or for going out to potential clients, there's nothing wrong with a TINY bit of cleanup...

If we use our built-in sequencers to 'capture' our live performance, if there's just the odd bum note, no shame in using what they gave us to fix it... and also maybe tame the user played Parts (which always tend to sit to far on top) by backing them down to a balanced level (funny how much LESS of me I want to hear when I'm not actually playing!). Only then, after all that, sing your vocals on the top (if singing at all), and the end result is still MOSTLY a live 'capture'... but with a bit of polish and sheen!

After all, if arrangers were MEANT to be solely played live, no do-overs, no edits, no nothing, well, they wouldn't put all those tools in for us to use, would they?!

But for those that want to keep it 100% 'real', well, there's always taping it on a few different nights. Hopefully there's ONE flawless take in several goes at it (if there isn't, time to practice it!)..!

Just be honest about the process here. No shame in a BIT of polishing. That's how professional CD's get made, after all.

#379255 - 12/23/13 04:49 PM Re: Posting a performance on S-Z [Re: tony mads usa]
DonM Offline

Yes when I hit a high note, if my voice strays even marginally the harmony goes all over the place. My wife was kind enough to listen to me practice yesterday in an effort to find the problem.
I think the problem is that my voice strays marginally on some of the high notes!
I'll just not use the harmonizer when I try to hit "em.
Thanks, this is why I post stuff, to try to get better.

#379257 - 12/23/13 04:53 PM Re: Posting a performance on S-Z [Re: DonM]
tony mads usa Offline

Originally Posted By: DonM

Thanks, this is why I post stuff, to try to get better.

That's what we all should be looking for ...

#379262 - 12/23/13 05:13 PM Re: Posting a performance on S-Z [Re: tony mads usa]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I basically know what my voice's top note is without straying badly... I just adjust the key of the piece so THAT is the top note of most songs.

#379264 - 12/23/13 05:18 PM Re: Posting a performance on S-Z [Re: tony mads usa]
DonM Offline

I try to do that too. It's not that it's too high, but that the harmonizer gets very finicky, like it's trying to harmonize overtones or reverb signals.

#379279 - 12/23/13 09:27 PM Re: Posting a performance on S-Z [Re: tony mads usa]
Hal2001 Offline

Loc: U.S.
After attending a solo classical concert performed by an internationally renowned pianist, I had the opportunity to stay for a Q&A with a limited group. I asked the maestro for some tips about lowering stage anxiety and my self-consciousness about needing to create the perfect performance. He said, "Don't compare yourself to performances you've heard as recordings." Instead, I should use live performances as a benchmark because even some well known performers who claim they don't clean up their mistakes in the studio, actually do so - just like those people we've seen who say they don't lip sync but do. This was good to know because I may not have been comparing myself in a level playing field. Since his advice, I could relax and enjoy my own playing more, and also appreciate other's playing more, even when they make mistakes.

#379309 - 12/24/13 09:27 AM Re: Posting a performance on S-Z [Re: Diki]
tony mads usa Offline

Originally Posted By: Diki
I basically know what my voice's top note is without straying badly... I just adjust the key of the piece so THAT is the top note of most songs.

I also do that Diki, but along with the highest note, I have to look at the 'vocal path' I have to take to get there ... if there is a phrase with high notes close to the top of my range just before I have to hit the highest one, that could be a little more difficult to control the breathing properly ...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online