SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#379549 - 12/27/13 07:18 AM New recording on new recorder...
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Hey guys,

Picked up a Tascam Products Tascam DR-07 MKII Linear PCM Recorder for Christmas. First time with a handheld device, previously I've used Tascam Portastudio DP-01, which I found to be cumbersome to use.

Uploaded the audiofile to Soundcloud, which has its own challenges for me to figure out:

Soundcloud Bill Corfield/Crossroads

First time using my new digital recorder. Input level was too high for the first five songs, then seemed to be cleaner once I dropped it a bit. Not sure where the optimal placement of this device is going to be for live shows. For this recording, it was sitting on the keyboard. That's good for me being able to monitor it and starting/ending recordings, but its bad because its getting a double dose of my vocal. (One from the PA, the other direct from my mouth-it makes for a nice fat vocal, but throws off the overall mix.)

Solutions may be:

1) Decrease overall vocal/increase keyboard levels to find optimal settings, but this may compromise the overall sound for the audience, which I don't want to do.

2) Position the recorder further away from where I'm sitting, perhaps mounted on a mic stand. A disadvantage to this would be lack of control over the unit during the performance

3) Go direct from the mixer output, advantage is better mix, not influenced by my live vocal, disadvantage is the loss of the ambiance of the room as I'd be bypassing the two mics the unit features.

Still slugging my way through the instruction manual...lots to learn...

The mics are adjustable into a tighter field (XY pattern) or a broader field (AB pattern). Curious how guys are choosing which to use most often.

I'd love to hear how other OMB-ers are working with technology like I am. Suggestions, comments, etc. all welcome...

Thanks in advance...

Edited by Bill in Dayton (12/27/13 07:22 AM)

#379550 - 12/27/13 07:26 AM Re: New recording on new recorder... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
zuki Offline

Sounded great Bill. Glad you are doing what you like in life smile

I plan to record lots of stuff and use the MOx6 in mixes - should be interesting. I'm lucky to have studio time for goofing, instead of constant show preparation.

My 950 is on a month backorder!

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#379551 - 12/27/13 07:39 AM Re: New recording on new recorder... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
Dnj Offline

Bill nice job......I would suggest a DIRECT LINE L&R recording as to not get so much AIR......good luck.

#379552 - 12/27/13 08:08 AM Re: New recording on new recorder... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I never had much success using the mics, because they pick up too much noise. I always use the line in from the mixer.

#379557 - 12/27/13 08:44 AM Re: New recording on new recorder... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Sounds great Bill. Great to hear you posting songs, too. Are the photos on that page current?

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#379564 - 12/27/13 09:18 AM Re: New recording on new recorder... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Real nice Bill and pretty clean too for being live.

#379572 - 12/27/13 10:20 AM Re: New recording on new recorder... [Re: brickboo]
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Thanks guys...it should improve as I push through the leaning curve over the next few days...

@Gary: Yes, for better or worse, those are fairly current pictures...

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online