SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#378100 - 12/13/13 04:24 PM KN7000 USB/PC Software
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi Folks,
With the advent of newer Windows Operating systems - particularly Win7 and Win8, the USB software provided on the 'Applications and Drivers' CD does not work on the 'lower' versions of Windows 7
I understand that the 'higher' versions of Windows 7 (Professional, Enterprise and Ultimate) have an 'XP Compatibility' mode, which is supposed to allow programs written for XP, to run on Windows 7.

I wonder if any KN7000 owners have tried to run the 'Song Manager' or 'SD Jukebox' software in XP Compatible mode, on Windows 7 Pro, Enterprise, or Ultimate?

As far as I am aware, the 'XP Compatibility' mode is not included in Windows 8.

#378140 - 12/14/13 12:28 AM Re: KN7000 USB/PC Software [Re: Bill Norrie]
Gunnar Jonny Offline

Loc: Norway
Hi
I dont have KN7k software to run, and unfornately not any KN anymore, but yes, also in Win8 / Win8.1 it's possible rightclick the exefile in programfolder or where you have it and chose compability mode.
(The copability list goes from Win95 and up to Win7)

"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#378149 - 12/14/13 03:03 AM Re: KN7000 USB/PC Software [Re: Bill Norrie]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
We’re getting programs confused here

Windows Compatibility Mode is on all the later Windows and works for a lot of programs but not all.

XP Mode is a separate download that is available for Windows 7 Pro and above, (There are also work around to get it to work on Windows 8) which is a full version of Windows XP which runs within Windows 7 in a virtual environment. (You have 2 different operating systems running at the same time) and they can interact with each other, (But they are separate, so XP Mode will need the same updates and protection as all XP installations) and as yet I have not come across an XP program that does not work in XP Mode.

If you have a full copy of Windows XP you can use a virtual machine to run it within Windows just like XP mode, but it requires a lot more setup from the user, this is a pretty good one VMware and it’s free. (It will also run on standard Windows)

Hope this helps

Bill

#378164 - 12/14/13 07:32 AM Re: KN7000 USB/PC Software [Re: Bill Norrie]
casarosa Offline

Loc: Costa Calida Spain
Apart from VMware there is also another free one at https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Screenshots

#378259 - 12/15/13 12:02 PM Re: KN7000 USB/PC Software [Re: casarosa]
kitkat Offline

Loc: United States
Personally, I have never used the CD Applications and Drivers software that came with the KN7000. All the work I do in the keyboard is transferred to a 64 multi-track digital recorder that has a CD burner in it. If I want to bring my music to the computer, all I have to do is insert the CD that I burned and it is there. With this state of the art digital recorder I have much more possibilities than using a sound editor software on the computer.

Mark

#378288 - 12/15/13 01:58 PM Re: KN7000 USB/PC Software [Re: kitkat]
Bill Norrie Offline

Thanks for all your suggestions - they are truly appreciated.... smile
However, none address the basic question :
"I wonder if any KN7000 owners have tried to run the 'Song Manager' or 'SD Jukebox' software in XP Compatible mode, on Windows 7 Pro, Enterprise, or Ultimate ?"

I do know about Virtualisation Software and in fact I have VMware on my PC, which I use as a 'Sandbox' to safely test some software, prior to possibly adding it to my normal Programs Folder.

I've tried 'Song Manager' and 'SD Jukebox' through VMware, and both seem to work OK, although as Bill (abacus) mentioned, it's a bit of a pain installing all the software...... and of course, you need a genuine copy of Windows XP on CD, together with the Service Packs and updates.

Question for Mark : How do you connect your KN7000 to your Multi-Track recorder?

#378356 - 12/16/13 08:44 AM Re: KN7000 USB/PC Software [Re: Bill Norrie]
kitkat Offline

Loc: United States
Bill, I use the KN7000 main outs (L & R) into the multi-track recorder. It has both standard jacks as well as XLR--four ins on all. It also has a digital jack and of course, with outs on all jacks. As you can guess, digital recorders today have many choices. It has a noise gate. It not only has numerous mixer settings for each track and a general mixer across the board but has another final mixer for doing a master. Having a built in CD burner is a joy. Using outs of the recorder into a pair of $1600. powered studio Mackies is a music sound at its best. On a gig, I need nothing but the keyboard and the powered Mackies. The volume that can be created is unbelievable. When not recording and just playing, I go straight from the keyboard into the speakers, I have to keep the keyboard at a very, very low volume, it is that powerful. For vocals, I use a Beyer M-500 mic connected to a very small compressor/limiter, the size of a pack of cigarettes connected to the mic IN on the keyboard. I've learned the perfect vocal settings in the keyboard for a perfect music/vocal sound.

Mark

#378377 - 12/16/13 12:46 PM Re: KN7000 USB/PC Software [Re: kitkat]
Bill Norrie Offline

Thanks Mark. When you mentioned a Digital Recorder, I just wondered if you had found a way of achieving Digital transfer from your KN7000 via USB.........
I use a Bose L1 Compact with my KN7000 and the overall sound level and the coverage has to be heard to be believed !!!

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#379999 - 12/30/13 03:09 PM Re: KN7000 USB/PC Software [Re: Bill Norrie]
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Hello Bill,

I've just read your post re: compatibility-Windows 7 and thought you might like to know that when I purchased my current computer it came with the basic Windows 7 Home version which did not include Word. Consequently I had to update in order to get this and I chose Windows 7 Professional for 2 reasons - 1) it allowed compatibility with XP Home + it also made an image of the system for backing up purposes and, 2) it has the full Microsoft Office suite including Word which I use all the time.

I still have the KN Explorer on my desktop and having loaded one of my SD Cards containing KN7 saved sets, I clicked on the Explorer and it automatically opened the SD Card which loaded everything as always.

At the moment I do not have a KN7 keyboard but there's a possibility of getting another one quite soon and if/when that happens I'll try out the song manager/jukebox and get back to you.

Audrey

PS. Although Windows 8 doesn't come with compatibility
mode, I understand that you can download it for free
from Microsoft but ONLY FOR THE LATEST VERSION OF
WINDOWS 8.

Edited by Audrey Turner (12/30/13 03:16 PM)

#380077 - 12/31/13 05:06 AM Re: KN7000 USB/PC Software [Re: Audrey Turner]
technicsplayer Offline

The tragedy of the 7000 is the loss of direct digital audio transfer in later version of windows, for which you need a virtual environment or clone copy of XP to run. Unfortunately the 7k was just too early to use generic windows audio usb drivers. I have several usb soundcards and very high quality D/A converters for wave playback which use universal usb chipsets requiring no drivers in windows, this would have been the ideal, but not available when the 7k was designed... when a 128MB SD card was expensive and thought of as a lot of memory!

Song manager, Jukebox, KN explorer etc are stand alone executables, whether these 32 bit programs work in later windows is pure luck, most will, some won't, but that has no bearing on the ideal of direct digital audio transfer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online