SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#382938 - 01/29/14 09:20 AM KN7000 PROBLEMS!!!
kitkat Offline

Loc: United States
Greetings,

I'm starting to have serious problems with my KN7000. The buttons underneath the screen are taking on a life of their own. Things really go crazy when I am in COMPOSER doing STEP RECORD or just doing STEP RECORD in SEQUENCER mode. Pressing a button, and this is especially the three buttons on the left either up or down, they don't stop. I thought the contacts were dirty and gave them a spray with some electronic cleaner I have but it hasn't helped. I thought INITIALIZING just the COMPOSER would help but it hasn't. I haven't tried to INITIALIZE the whole keyboard, which I suppose I should have done before contacting the forum. I am wondering if any of you have had this problem.

Even setting a PANEL MEMORY is now starting to not hold the button settings in the tracks. This is mainly a problem with the first three buttons from the left side. I would appreciate any thoughts with what I might do. Example: ACP5 is set at 115 MUTE and at times, it takes the MUTE off and shoots up to 127 volume. Crazy, huh.

Mark

#382950 - 01/29/14 11:36 AM Re: KN7000 PROBLEMS!!! [Re: kitkat]
HarryG Offline

Loc: Germany
Hello Mark,

but let's go through the KN 7000 once the test sequence, if you an error of the KN 7000 we displayed.
1.Turn off the power
2 Then, while pressing C # 3, D # 3 and C# 4 at the same time, turn the power on again.
3 You will see it ROM DEVICE TEST
4 press EXECUTE

The test takes about 20 seconds.
The result is displayed to you on 12 pages.

But I believe that the rubber dampers are worn below the button. A technician could renew it.

I hope you can understand my English?

#383028 - 01/29/14 05:46 PM Re: KN7000 PROBLEMS!!! [Re: HarryG]
kitkat Offline

Hi Harry,

WOW!!! I didn't know of this test. I performed all the tests and everything is OK. One of the lights didn't go on with testing all the buttons on the keyboard. It was the NEXT BANK. Taking a closer look, I see no light for it and is the reason it didn't come on. I wonder why no light when all the other buttons have a light.

I Initialized the whole keyboard but haven't had time to see if anything helped. You are probably right with thinking there is a type of button wear. I do find it odd that this all happened at the same time and on more than one button. The first three from the left under the screen and at least the last button under the screen and possibly more that I haven't had need to use.

Mark

#383071 - 01/30/14 03:22 AM Re: KN7000 PROBLEMS!!! [Re: kitkat]
jd5live Offline

Loc: Bilston , West Midlands,Englan...
Hi Mark, do you have tame Technics engineers local to you? the first thing I would do is to download the service manual for the KN7000 and get them to remove the control panel assembly,remove the rear cover and remove the central panel,it may be the contact strip is damaged or something as simple as a buid-up of dust,as you have used a contact spray/cleaner you may have caused further damage as these contacts are made of silicone and or polly-rubber which does not take kindly to the type of spirit fluids used in the cleaner sprays.
A simple thing you can try your self is to use a can of compressed air (air duster from Radio Shack) use this around the bottom row of switches blowing in all directions,it's a slim chance but worth a try,if not you will need an engineer.
Sorry I could not send you good news ,hope you have success soon regards John. (ex Yamaha and Technics dealer/engineer)

#383098 - 01/30/14 09:16 AM Re: KN7000 PROBLEMS!!! [Re: jd5live]
kitkat Offline

Hi John,

Yes, not good news! The closest Technics technician is 120 miles from me. Not even sure he is still kicking. I used him about 10 years ago and he was up in years.

I will try the air bit. I do have a can of it. As I said earlier, it is very strange that this happened to several buttons at the same time. One would think that it would be just one button having dust but not so many. I always keep my keyboard closed.

Mark

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online