#375619 - 11/18/13 09:54 AM Good demo of the BK-9
Saswick Offline

Loc: Garstang, Preston, Lancashire,...

Regards

Col

#375620 - 11/18/13 10:41 AM Re: Good demo of the BK-9 [Re: Saswick]
rosetree
Unregistered

Thanks. This video has been online for quite a long time already; I have mixed feelings about it. It's a long demo and he plays well, but I don't know if he always makes good choices e.g. with the saxophones (I already left a comment on Youtube about the saxophones...). I have the feeling there are better sounds in the BK-9 than the one he mainly selects. I also think he uses the pitch bend too strongly (more than a quarter tone), which immediately makes a sax or trumpet sound artificial.

#375639 - 11/18/13 02:22 PM Re: Good demo of the BK-9 [Re: Saswick]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
On the whole, I think this series of demos showcases the BK-9 the best I have heard so far.

http://www.youtube.com/user/LaPietradelParagone/videos

Really good players, using the BK-9 in live arranger mode, some using the Chord Sequencer, some using the audio loops. Plus some tutorials and demos of the iPad apps.

#375645 - 11/18/13 03:55 PM Re: Good demo of the BK-9 [Re: ]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: rosetree
Thanks. This video has been online for quite a long time already; I have mixed feelings about it.

Me too.

It's a good demo, but not a great demo. The piano can't be the best piano, as it sounds rather thin, so perhaps you are right Rosetree, there must be better sounds than what was featured.

The styles sounded fine; the Just The Way You Are style is nice with the correct drum beat. The sax probably wasn't the best of the bunch, and, a bit of aftertouch would have helped the player add more expression.

The accordion could be improved with the use of a swell pedal, but is very good nonetheless.

The organ early on has that overall plasticky sound reminiscent of the VK-8, but it could be just the way the default effects were set. The one starting at around 19:20 was also a tad disappointing, but again, perhaps with different effects and/or type of rotary sim it would be a little beefier.

However, getting 76 keys for such a reasonable cost, makes it a bargain, and the approximately 20 lb weight is perfect for those who have problems lifting heavy gear...should be popular for the senior user...or, anyone over 50.

Ian

Later edit: Demos at link posted above are far, far better, and except for some of the organ patches (still too much like VK-8), the sounds are much better featured and are very good indeed.

Edited by ianmcnll (11/18/13 03:57 PM)
Edit Reason: To add another comment

#375651 - 11/18/13 05:14 PM Re: Good demo of the BK-9 [Re: Saswick]
Diki Offline

Maybe it's just that on the G70, the reverb was pre-Leslie (doh!) and most of the factory OTS and setups are pretty dry. Adding a fair bit more reverb post-Leslie makes ALL the difference.

Not to mention, a swell pedal and dial the grunge in the right amount (another thing hugely improved over the G70's B3 section), and you can now also adjust the spread of the stereo width, so if your speakers are a bit too far apart, you don't get that 30' wide Leslie sound!

#375653 - 11/18/13 05:32 PM Re: Good demo of the BK-9 [Re: Saswick]
ianmcnll Offline

Someone from Keyboard Corner forum had sent me the numbers for the Leslie speeds, both slow and fast, instead of the usual rpm. Also the rise and fall time of the change is important for realism, as well as the spread.

I didn't store any settings yet, but just experimenting around produced some nice results, and although the T4's rotary sim has been improved over the T3, it still benefits from a tweak or two.

I suspect the BK-9 demos did not feature any edits but were using presets.

It's a good value, and nice and light, especially for the older guys...you know, the over 50.

You can carry one under your arm, and still have one arm free to use your cane.

Ian

#375675 - 11/19/13 05:40 AM Re: Good demo of the BK-9 [Re: Saswick]
Dnj Offline

I enjoyed the BK-9 demos featured here on these links...
lightweight, 76, great styles & sounds, kool audio key & CS features very usable,....what else do you need but your own talent to make great music?..and the price is affordable for most.

#375687 - 11/19/13 08:31 AM Re: Good demo of the BK-9 [Re: Saswick]
ianmcnll Offline

Fran and Donny on their way to hear Roland BK-9...

Fran and Donny listening to Roland BK-9...

Fran and Donny discussing the merits of the BK-9 to Donny's S950...

Diki joins in with Fran to gently "persuade" Donny...

Suddenly, they are bewitched by the "AWESOME" Audya being played by Henni...

"Nuff said", says Henni...

#375690 - 11/19/13 09:32 AM Re: Good demo of the BK-9 [Re: Saswick]
Diki Offline

Suddenly I need to find another $2500?

To sound, IMO, little better and lose the majority of my editing options? And gain 18 more pounds (basically double).

I think I'll pass...!

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online