SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#375467 - 11/16/13 07:04 PM OT: Any Antique/Vintage Radio Collectors here.?.?
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Sorry for the off topic post Nigel. It's just that many of us here share similar interests outside our arranger keyboards smile

I recently got my hands on a beautiful 1947 Motorola Portable Radio (model 67L11).., with the faux alligator skin cover. This beauty is all original (still has original tubes, but not sure if they work though). I've seen MANY radios over the years in various antique shops, but I've never come across this model. Anyone here know what they go for these days?

I collect so many antiques and vintage electronics that I realized it's time for me to start flipping some of these things since I get them on the cheap or just flat out free.

Thx
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#375500 - 11/16/13 10:30 PM Re: OT: Any Antique/Vintage Radio Collectors here.?.? [Re: squeak_D]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I'm not a collector, but I came across a vintage record player recently, sold by Western Auto. It still works, even has some paperwork attached. I believe it's from the 50s. I gave $5.00 at Goodwill for it.
DonM

#375565 - 11/17/13 03:01 PM Re: OT: Any Antique/Vintage Radio Collectors here.?.? [Re: DonM]
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Yeah.., you'll find a lot of good vintage electronics at Thrift Stores. I've scored quite a bit from our local Thrift Store, and boy do they sell them cheap!

Went to a local antique store today (actually open on Sunday!), and I walked out with a beautiful GE Bakelite radio from the late 50's/early 60's. All tubes are working, fully intact, and even the dial light still works. I also nailed a Vintage Poker Card Set from the 60's that was made by Tiffany&Co. It was a reproduction run from the original set that was made in the 1800's. Has both full complete decks, and the complete velvet storage box.

I got the radio and the cards for $20.00!!! Store owner had no clue the cards were Tiffany&Co.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#375569 - 11/17/13 03:27 PM Re: OT: Any Antique/Vintage Radio Collectors here.?.? [Re: squeak_D]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Until about 10 years ago, I still had a Hallicrafters SX-43, which I used for round the world communications as a HAM radio operator, W3JQL. My first receiver was constructed solely from pirated parts from old radios that people in the neighborhood were throwing away. That was in 1952, which is when I got my General Class HAM License.

Cheers,

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (11/17/13 03:28 PM)
Edit Reason: spelling

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#375614 - 11/18/13 06:32 AM Re: OT: Any Antique/Vintage Radio Collectors here.?.? [Re: squeak_D]
Beemer Offline

Loc: Scotland
In 1984 as a Sales Manager I visited my companies Chicago Global HQ. This was the Zenith Corporation. As most companies do they had a range of freebie gifts to give to their best customers.

Of course most salesmen consider that there best customer is themselves so I was rubbing my hands in prospect of getting for myself a Zenith Trans-Oceanic model R7000 radio receiver.

I was so disappointed to learn that production had stopped in 1979 and the last radio in stock for freebie issue had just been given out a month previous to my visit. So back to Scotland I went with just a freebie Cross pen in my pocket.

Shortly after I bought a Sony ICF7600 which is still going strong.....mmmmm I wonder if Yamaha give out freebie Tyros 5s rotf2

Ian

Edited by Beemer (11/18/13 06:35 AM)

#375659 - 11/18/13 07:34 PM Re: OT: Any Antique/Vintage Radio Collectors here.?.? [Re: squeak_D]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
The cornerstone of my last set (Cheaper by the Dozen) featured an antique radio ... check it out:

Attachments
IMG_3600.jpg (10 downloads)
IMG_3605.jpg (7 downloads)

#375660 - 11/18/13 07:50 PM Re: OT: Any Antique/Vintage Radio Collectors here.?.? [Re: Uncle Dave]
travlin'easy Offline

Dave, that looks like an old Crosby, but can't be sure from the photo. Neat!

Gary cool

#375661 - 11/18/13 08:49 PM Re: OT: Any Antique/Vintage Radio Collectors here.?.? [Re: travlin'easy]
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
[quote=travlin'easy]Until about 10 years ago, I still had a Hallicrafters SX-43, which I used for round the world communications as a HAM radio operator, W3JQL. My first receiver was constructed solely from pirated parts from old radios that people in the neighborhood were throwing away. That was in 1952, which is when I got my General Class HAM License.

Gee Gary I didn't know you had a ham license. Are you still active? That's one of the things I've always wanted to do but never completed. I was an avid short wave listener for years. I have QSL's from over 60 countries. Great hobby!

Joe

#375662 - 11/18/13 09:04 PM Re: OT: Any Antique/Vintage Radio Collectors here.?.? [Re: squeak_D]
travlin'easy Offline

No, my license expired many years ago and I never took the time to renew it. It was a neat hobby, though, talking to people all over the world using Morse code.

Gary cool

#375686 - 11/19/13 08:12 AM Re: OT: Any Antique/Vintage Radio Collectors here.?.? [Re: travlin'easy]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I have a room full of old electronics...record players...ham radios...there's even a wind up player with a horn I bought when I was 7 in Michigan.

Always meant to work on them, but don't know the first thing about them. Mostly, I've concentrated on restoring old tube amps from the 30's and 40's. They were shipped with a lap steel for $29.95 as a product for the very first infomercials. you older folks will remember the 1/2 hour shows with hula dancers and big guys playing ukes.

My interest is twofold...music history and advertising history, something I teach every other semester or so.

Russ

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online