SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#37505 - 12/05/10 09:48 AM considering the Audya5 but have some questions
Christian_1 Offline

Hi all Audya users,
I haven't plaied Audya that much, only tried it for a short time last year and there have been updates released since that time so I can't tel how it is now.
I have owned several yamaha keyboards, including the Tyros and I have also recently tried the new Tyros4 for a few days, but there were a few things I didn't like with it.
The thing that I miss is the deep sound that the Audya has and the Audya sounds much more live to me and more inspiring than the T4.
But the most important thing to me is accessibility. To be able to access the instrument and all of it's features, or at least most of them.
I have made posts in the passed on this forum but for those who don't know I am totally blind. Can't see anything and Yamaha is not that easy you have to enter menu's and scroll to the feature you want but compared to Audya, which to me, seems to be much more easier since the things I have read about it where you just press a button and then you press any of the function keys, located at each side of the display to access some function or change something is really good, especially when Ketron have written what keys to press like how to use the HD recording feature.
I wrote some time ago about accessibility issues we blind and visually impaired people are facing when it comes to these instruments and me and others would like them to be much more accessible than what they are these days. When we pay for a such instrument we would like to get equal access like you sighted folks have.
Well, we can access computer based sequencers like Cakewalk Sonar, but its not always you have a computer next to you and if you can make recordings on these instruments directly it would be very nice if they were accessible.
Well, now on to my questions.
I read in some other thread about the vocal harmonizer, which I thought until now was good but I haven't heared it myself so I cant tel. How easy is it to change its parameters?
I am going to see if I can find the Audya manual, but maybe some of you can tel me.
Do you just press some button and then you can just change it?
Also, let's say I want to change to some other guitar loop in a style, is it also like pressing one button and then you just select which one to use?
And at last, when you playback an audio file, can you delete that file from within the song player?
I suppose that I can just connect the Audya to my computer and delete it that way, but I am just wondering since deleting it from the instrument itself it faster.
And at last, you would recommend the Audya, you are pleased with it?
OK, that's all for now but I hope you don't mind ansering my questions! Many thanks!
Christian

#37506 - 12/05/10 12:24 PM Re: considering the Audya5 but have some questions
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Hi Christian
I have an Audya 5 as well as a KN7000 and a G70. I haven't had a Yamaha in years, so I can't compare that except for demo's.

Soundwise, the Audya blows them all away IMO. The live sound is just what I was looking for. The OS to me is intuitive and have had little trouble learning the basics, at least.

I am not so impressed with the Vocaliser. It is in the middle of the pack, I would say. I have to have the best so I ordered the TC Helicon Voice Live Touch.

As far as accessability is conscerned, I don't consider myself qualified to advise you. I have, however, tried to put myself in your situation, and guess the following:

The Audya Voice List is a favorites list you can make up by category under each button. For example you can build a list of your favorite piano's under the piano button, or can put all of your favorites under any button, with two pages of ten slots. Once you had your instruments loaded, it would be a snap for you learn the right button, rather than having to scroll. You alluded to this and I think you are right.

In general, it is button driven, as you said, and would seem to be a better fit than most.

To be honest, I don't know how you manage as well as you do, given the fact that none of them seem to go out of their way to make them more accessable to the visually impaired.

I hope I have helped a little.
Bernie

#37507 - 12/05/10 03:32 PM Re: considering the Audya5 but have some questions
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
HI Christian

I've owned the Tyros 2, Pa2xpro, Audya 4 and Audya 5. I have just purchased the Tyros 4.

I would stay away from Ketron products. They are unreliable, poorly supported by the manufacturer and US Distributors, and are not very intuitive. It is very difficult to obtain 3rd party styles and almost as impossible to create your own. Some of the style categories such as Jazz and Big Band are very limited. I think the board only has 300 styles. I also was not impressed with the guitars and synth sounds. Of coursed the Ketron drums are awesome as are the organs and Saxes. The Ketron reminds me of a Wersi keyboard. You really need to be technically savvy and adventuresome to own one of these keyboards. If you are an entertainer and need reliability, I would look elsewhere.

The Yamaha boards are so very polished, highly supported, very reliable (hardware wise), and have the Best Voices and Articulation implementation on the market. As for support, there are thousands of styles and style conversions for the Yamaha's and at least 4 top notch web sites/forums devoted solely to Yamaha keyboards.

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#37508 - 12/07/10 08:24 AM Re: considering the Audya5 but have some questions
Christian_1 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by kbrkr:
HI Christian

I've owned the Tyros 2, Pa2xpro, Audya 4 and Audya 5. I have just purchased the Tyros 4.

I would stay away from Ketron products. They are unreliable, poorly supported by the manufacturer and US Distributors, and are not very intuitive. It is very difficult to obtain 3rd party styles and almost as impossible to create your own. Some of the style categories such as Jazz and Big Band are very limited. I think the board only has 300 styles. I also was not impressed with the guitars and synth sounds. Of coursed the Ketron drums are awesome as are the organs and Saxes. The Ketron reminds me of a Wersi keyboard. You really need to be technically savvy and adventuresome to own one of these keyboards. If you are an entertainer and need reliability, I would look elsewhere.

The Yamaha boards are so very polished, highly supported, very reliable (hardware wise), and have the Best Voices and Articulation implementation on the market. As for support, there are thousands of styles and style conversions for the Yamaha's and at least 4 top notch web sites/forums devoted solely to Yamaha keyboards.

Hi kbrkr,
Well, I thought that the Audya had allmost 500 styles?
Well, I may be wrong.
But isn't there some software that would let you, for example, convert Yamaha styles into Ketron format and let you specify some audio loops?
Many thanks,
Christian

#37509 - 12/07/10 09:16 AM Re: considering the Audya5 but have some questions
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Hi Christian,

In researching the Audya, I downloaded the manual and I think I actually counted all the styles. The number I came up with was something like 348 give or take.

To convert the Ketron Audya styles you will need a program like EMC Styleworks ($150) to convert the style to a SD1 format. Then you have to load that style into the Ketron Style Converter that comes with the Audya and using the archaic interface, somehow map an audio sample/loop/wav to the style for the drum parts. I have a programming background and I found myself getting frustrated. I'm not saying it can't be done. Others on this board on the Ketron forum have probably done it successfully. My point is; it is very difficult to do it. If you want to convert all of your Yamaha styles this way, it will take you a LOOONG time.

Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#37510 - 12/07/10 09:29 AM Re: considering the Audya5 but have some questions
Mr. G Offline

Loc: Monroe, Mi. USA
hi Christian, myself like many others have had so many keyboards in the past that for me it is hard to keep track. Some of them have been dependable and some have not. Ive had many isues with Kurzweil but I still love the sounds. I have had my Audya for about 6 mo. or so and not a single glitch so far. turn it on in the morning and off at night almost every day. I've had about every yamaha keyboard since the Dx-7 and some I have liked and some not. The same goes with roland and Korg . I now have a Korg OASYS-76 , Kurzweil pc-3 , Yamaha Motif xs-6 and my favorite Ketron Audya 5. You just have to go for the sound that you like , the feel of the board , the styles etc. I go by my own research and not so much by what I hear because most are too product loyal. I am not a product loyal person. If its what I like and fits the bill then it's worth a try. I love all of my boards for what they do and my Audya -5 has made me really love playing again. Make your choice and have fun. OH! Audya-5 has 560 styles. The layout of the panel buttons are as good and simple as any of the rest. Be blessed and keep rockin!
Mr. G ,OASYS , KRONOS ,Jupiter 80 , AUDYA 5, Midas Venice ,Danley Labs sm-60f's ,Danley TH mini subs, QSC KW 122's,118 sub , Senhieser and Heil , Audix VX-10 , TC_Helicon ,ZOOM 9200, Lexicon ,Alesis ,AKG solid tube ,AB international Power Sub3600

#37511 - 12/07/10 03:09 PM Re: considering the Audya5 but have some questions
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I try and never disagree with anyone's opinion as we are all entitled to one. However, for me, there are plenty of great styles to handle almost anything and I have converted many styles from different boards with EMC. I am not saying they are the live drums but all converted to SD1 and played very well with no tweeking. Also, I emailed EMC and Audya is in the works.

I think you are right in getting all the facts that you can, knowing that there will be different opinions but, as for me, I love the Audya and haven't had a moments trouble.
Bernie

#37512 - 12/07/10 05:58 PM Re: considering the Audya5 but have some questions
Mr. G Offline

Loc: Monroe, Mi. USA
Quote:
Originally posted by kbrkr:
Hi Christian,

In researching the Audya, I downloaded the manual and I think I actually counted all the styles. The number I came up with was something like 348 give or take.

To convert the Ketron Audya styles you will need a program like EMC Styleworks ($150) to convert the style to a SD1 format. Then you have to load that style into the Ketron Style Converter that comes with the Audya and using the archaic interface, somehow map an audio sample/loop/wav to the style for the drum parts. I have a programming background and I found myself getting frustrated. I'm not saying it can't be done. Others on this board on the Ketron forum have probably done it successfully. My point is; it is very difficult to do it. If you want to convert all of your Yamaha styles this way, it will take you a LOOONG time.

Al

audya five with update 3.0A has 560 styles. update 3.0A added to the original Audya to a total of 560. I have mine in front of me and went through the style catagories and pages and come up with 560. Many are so, so like all the rest of the arangers but most are really good, and each one can be used for so many types of songs that the preloaded styles are endless to the hundreds and hundreds of songs you can come up with. an example like Pop Rock can be used in so many different ways it alone can cover 15 to 20 rock songs that I do, and it can do the same for others as well. I love this board and hope everyone loves and enjoys theirs as much as I do mine no matter what brand you play.. Well breaks over , gotta get back to jammin. Oh ! you must download the 3.0A manual to get a list of the added styles.
Mr. G ,OASYS , KRONOS ,Jupiter 80 , AUDYA 5, Midas Venice ,Danley Labs sm-60f's ,Danley TH mini subs, QSC KW 122's,118 sub , Senhieser and Heil , Audix VX-10 , TC_Helicon ,ZOOM 9200, Lexicon ,Alesis ,AKG solid tube ,AB international Power Sub3600

#37513 - 12/09/10 11:43 AM Re: considering the Audya5 but have some questions
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Christian, you might find this interesting. http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/022170.html
DonM

#37514 - 12/09/10 04:37 PM Re: considering the Audya5 but have some questions
Christian_1 Offline

Hi Don,
Many thanks for this, have contacted this person.
Just a question, the Audya does not feature a sequencer, right?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry, Ketron_AJ, Tonewheeldude 

Help keep Synth Zone Online