SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#374789 - 11/11/13 09:17 AM T5 Frenzy!!!!
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Wow, people still salivating over the sound of an instrument being played by a MASTER KEYBOARDIST. People still thinking that THIS is the one that's going to put them over the top. NEWSFLASH!!!!!!!! If you sounded like crap on the PSR3000 or the Tyros or T2 or T3 or T4, I can pretty much guarantee that the T5 is NOT going to be the solution to your problem. A Steinway 'D' is a great sounding instrument, but in the hands of my 6 yr old grandson, it still sounds like puppy poo.

My advice (like anybody cares smile ); unless your old board is on it's last legs or the sounds are so dated that it's embarrassing, take some of that disposable moolah that you're about to blow on a T5 and try to figure out a way to improve yourself as a keyboardist and musician. If you remember back that far, all those top notch Yamaha demonstrators sounded pretty darn good on the last three or four introductions of Yamaha products---that's why they're demonstrators, DOH!

Of course, there is an exception to the above (valuable) piece of advice; if you're like me and just love the latest gadget, then by all means, break out that credit card and have at it.

chas

#374818 - 11/11/13 12:04 PM Re: T5 Frenzy!!!! [Re: cgiles]
Barty Offline

Loc: Indy
This is America - land of instant gratification. Shedding takes too much time - with modern technology you can fool many with less effort.

Having said that, I preordered T5.

#374821 - 11/11/13 12:22 PM Re: T5 Frenzy!!!! [Re: cgiles]
Kabinopus Offline

Loc: Russia
This is pretty much a rhetorical question. I agree that if money is an issue (and it usually is) there's absolutely no need to worry about buying or upgrading to the T5. But in the same time, if the money isn't an issue (congrats on that, BTW), I see no point of not getting the T5.

The fact is that the progress is still going on. Let's say, there was the time when all the arranger keyboards sounded like toys, and now they sound like real bands. Did it happen in one moment? No. It was one step after another. And now T5 is one more step after T4 towards the future.

#374827 - 11/11/13 12:36 PM Re: T5 Frenzy!!!! [Re: cgiles]
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
I think it's nice to see that some of the things Yamaha added to the Tyros line this time round are FINALLY things the better player or full time pro can appreciate! Primarily, the return of a 76 option for those that actually CAN play a piano, and then the dual sequencer/MP3 player for those that need DJ style non-stop music...

But yes, Charles' post can basically be said for ANY keyboard. If you aren't as good a player as the demonstrator, you are NEVER going to sound as good. But advice such as his is always wasted here. This is the last place on earth where anyone seems to care about being a better MUSICIAN... Most seem to have drunk the Kool-Aid and think that the gear alone is going to achieve that!

And when it doesn't, they are convinced the NEXT model will do the trick...

#374828 - 11/11/13 12:38 PM Re: T5 Frenzy!!!! [Re: cgiles]
Dnj Offline

I would say theres some jealousy floating around also...

#374831 - 11/11/13 12:45 PM Re: T5 Frenzy!!!! [Re: Kabinopus]
cgiles Offline

Originally Posted By: Kabinopus
Let's say, there was the time when all the arranger keyboards sounded like toys, and now they sound like real bands. Did it happen in one moment? No. It was one step after another. And now T5 is one more step after T4 towards the future.

If arranger keyboards represents the future of music, god help us all. As I see it, as the technology advances, it takes your same meager efforts and makes it sound better......but it doesn't make YOU better. But it's okay to delude yourself into thinking you're better than you are; most men do that in the bedroom every night smile .

chas

PS: Just yanking your chain....all you guys sound amazing....ly similar smile .

#374834 - 11/11/13 12:48 PM Re: T5 Frenzy!!!! [Re: Barty]
cgiles Offline

Originally Posted By: Barty
This is America - land of instant gratification. Shedding takes too much time - with modern technology you can fool many with less effort.

Having said that, I preordered T5.

smile smile smile smile

Next to music, I love a good sense of humor.

chas

#374842 - 11/11/13 01:05 PM Re: T5 Frenzy!!!! [Re: cgiles]
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
Jealousy over what? If I wanted the bland Yamaha sound, I would already have it.

There have been some very nice Tyros demos over the years. But I'm not shooting for 'nice'. I honestly can't think of the last Yamaha demo a member here posted that was a tune I would touch with a bargepole..!

I don't do Broadway, I don't do oldies (at least not THAT old!) I am primarily still interested in a good rock and blues, reggae and funk sound.

If I start doing Broadway medleys, or 40's and 50's music, maybe I'll be jealous. Right now, I am merely grateful.

#374849 - 11/11/13 01:37 PM Re: T5 Frenzy!!!! [Re: Diki]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Diki

This is the last place on earth where anyone seems to care about being a better MUSICIAN... Most seem to have drunk the Kool-Aid and think that the gear alone is going to achieve that!

And when it doesn't, they are convinced the NEXT model will do the trick...

Originally Posted By: Diki

I honestly can't think of the last Yamaha demo a member here posted that was a tune I would touch with a bargepole..!

I don't do Broadway, I don't do oldies (at least not THAT old!) I am primarily still interested in a good rock and blues, reggae and funk sound.

If I start doing Broadway medleys, or 40's and 50's music, maybe I'll be jealous. Right now, I am merely grateful.

It's too bad some people are limited to certain genres, when there is so much to enjoy and express and learn in the others, of course if it's beyond some people's skill level, or not to their taste, that's quite understandable.

Then you say " they think gear alone is going to achieve that!

And when it doesn't, they are convinced the NEXT model will do the trick..."

Mmmmm YOU just bought the NEXT model...what flavor Kool-Aid did you have?

And, if you feel that, and I quote, "this is the last place on earth where anyone seems to care about being a better MUSICIAN"....why are you here?

It doesn't appear this place meets your standards.

Ian

#374862 - 11/11/13 02:50 PM Re: T5 Frenzy!!!! [Re: cgiles]
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
As much as some of you may not want to admit it, Chas does make a valid point. From all the years I have been a member here.., from what I can tell.., it's not the players here who outgrow their keyboards, rather they get bored of playing their SAME routine on their keyboard. Then the new lemon fresh model comes out and they flock to it just to play their same routine, barely scratching the surface of their arrangers capabilities.., and then they just wash rinse and repeat over and over.

The truth is that an original Tyros (even by today's standards) would be more than sufficient for the performing OMB. The sounds are there, the styles certainly capable of meeting today's arranger players need (ie: choc full of good o'l oldies-which honestly can be said for ANY brand of arranger).

If more players actually dug into their arrangers features AND learned to use them, I think we'd be seeing a lot less people flocking to those preorders. Hell my PSR S700 (circa 2008) in the right hands can shake up a crowd. IMO too many people seem to think a few new sounds and styles will make them a better player, when in reality they'll find themselves bored again playing their same routine and.., well you know how the story ends ;-)
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online