SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#372638 - 10/04/13 08:44 AM Re: It's almost depressing... [Re: travlin'easy]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
As I recall you had to TUNE those old electric pianos mechanically, and it was a chore. I don't miss the old stuff. The Rhodes and Wurlitzer sounds were compromises from the start. They sounded like that because they couldn't achieve a real piano sound without a real piano!
We got used to hearing them, that's all.
At one time I could barely get all my gear, as a single, into a full-sized Chevy van. Now it all fits on a Rock'n Roller dolly.

Despite what many people think, even cars are built better now. If you service them, they will last several hundred thousand miles. My 57 Chevy got 7 miles per gallon, and was constantly needing repairs. My 97 Silverado has 211,00 miles and is going strong with only normal maintenance.
My recently acquired Ford Expedition got 23 on its initial voyage from Dallas to Shreveport. My "old" Scion XB gets 34 and has never needed anything except tires for it's 82,000 miles so far.
Point is we remember fondly our old stuff, but that doesn't mean it was better, or as good, as what we have now.
I had a really good electric typewriter, but I don't want it back!
I don't miss the old stuff at all.
BTW, I'm just playing Devil's Advocate here. I fully understand the "feel" and sound of a B3 and leslie. Nothing like it. I just don't want one anymore.
DonM

#372640 - 10/04/13 09:27 AM Re: It's almost depressing... [Re: travlin'easy]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
I'd be in "Hog's Heaven" if I could get my hands around the throat of the piece of crap that stole my "Selmer Mark IV." I bought it brand new for $695. Today on eBay depending on the condition, they go for well over $10,000. Nothing sounds nor responds like a Selmer Mark IV Tenor Sax!

Edited by brickboo (10/04/13 09:28 AM)

#372642 - 10/04/13 10:19 AM Re: It's almost depressing... [Re: travlin'easy]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I get your point, Russ...we have an act here (actually on the mainland Nova Scotia) where they always bring a B-3 and Leslie 122...they have the wooden strap on dollies for the organ and the Leslie is a bit modified for the road (that means it has handles installed...hee hee) and they also carry a Rhodes 88 and a Mini-Moog. They are, as you say, "what they are known for" and I doubt if they'll ever change.

Don, when I had the Hammond and the other beasties, I used to use a restored 1957 GMC Suburban truck with V-8 and Hydramatic to haul my gear, and I was lucky to get 10-12 mpg, even on the highway. It sure LOOKED and sounded cool, though! I finally decided to sell it to a collector, and at the same time, I downsized my keyboard rig to a Yamaha SK-20 organ/synth, Roland RD-300 and a pair of hotrodded Fender Twin Reverb (with tweeters and crossover added). The stuff was still heavy, but it would fit in the back of my 1987 Toyota Tercel 4-wheel drive station wagon, with careful packing. Man, what a huge difference in running costs.

Now, all my present gear fits in my '02 Honda Accord SE sedan and still leaves an empty passenger seat in front. It's my 5th Honda Accord (first was a 1988), and they have all been very reliable and very low maintenance. Same goes for my gear...it's always been mainly Yamaha (and sometimes Roland) and very reliable.

Sure the old stuff was awesome and a real joy to play, but, as you say Don, it needed regular maintenance; tuning the Wurly was a nightmare that involved adding and filing away solder from the metal tone reeds which could only be done with the instrument unplugged. It all became harder to move, and luckily, new technology allowed me to downsize, and I haven't looked back.

Now, a Tyros4 and two lightweight powered speakers does what a whole stage full of gear used to do.

The old stuff was pretty cool, but, I sure don't want it back again.

Ian

#372646 - 10/04/13 12:37 PM Re: It's almost depressing... [Re: travlin'easy]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Just turn up for that jam with the Tyros, see what musicians without any vested interest in what YOU play say about it! Don't play the originals, play the arranger (just the sounds)...

To someone not worried about how hard they are to maintain, how heavy they are, or how unreliable, the only thing they'll care about is how you sound on it. Want to bet that they think you sound better playing the organ on a B3 clone? LOL

Me, I try my hardest to still judge gear on the merits of its sound ALONE... After all, that IS its function. The rest is merely convenience, which the audience (either FOH or other musicians) really don't give a rats about!

Now, whether I USE the vintage stuff or not, yes, that's entirely due to convenience. But that doesn't change its sound... If someone else maintained and moved my stuff (or I had a house gig where it was set up permanently, I would use the old gear in a flash. I'd have my G70 up there as WELL, but not for the classic sounds!

I love the new stuff... But it doesn't change the sound of the old. Personally, I don't need to put down the sound of the old stuff to make me feel OK about using the new. I am willing to admit it doesn't sound quite as good. Sure beats having to have a Transit Van just to move my rig alone!

#372647 - 10/04/13 01:05 PM Re: It's almost depressing... [Re: travlin'easy]
ianmcnll Offline

I have taken the Tyros4 to several jams...the guys simply loved it, and were amazed by the sounds. Remember, Diki, the Tyros4 has a terrific sound engine and Pianos, SA Organs, Strings, Brass, Guitars, Electric Pianos Clavinets are all very, very high quality. I sometimes set it on top of the B-3 and run it into the recently purchased Stagepas 600i PA system in stereo.

No, it doesn't sound exactly like the B-3 I play, but, then again, no two B-3's ever sounded alike. The main thing is it sounds great and fits well in the music. Sometimes I'll use the T4's combo organ sounds, which are very accurate.

I'll always take the Tyros4 if it's just me, the guitar player, and Saxophonist, and we use the T4's styles, usually trimmed down a little. We have fun! That's why we jam!

These guy's aren't stuck in a time zone...they are progressive enough to work with the new and the old. The drummer uses an electronic kit (along with his acoustic set), and the guitarist has one of those new Roland/Fender Strat guitar synths...very cool.

We are the only ones we have to please...and we do..I always look forward to the sessions.

As far as I can tell, no one is putting down "the sound" of the old gear in this thread...it does sound great...it's just no longer convenient to travel with it, and it's nice to have a viable alternative.

BTW, if you are no longer using a transit van, are you using something smaller, like a hatchback, or some other kind of vehicle for personal transportation and/or moving your gear?

Ian

#372648 - 10/04/13 01:08 PM Re: It's almost depressing... [Re: travlin'easy]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
After reading DonM's post about the new being so much better than the old...I have to decide what to do with my wife now!!! grin

#372650 - 10/04/13 01:38 PM Re: It's almost depressing... [Re: travlin'easy]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
So why jam on the oldies at all? If the Tyros is as good?

Personally, I am delighted every time I get an opportunity to play one of the old standbys, and look forward to the opportunity to remind myself why they are STILL the goto sounds for most pop music. Every time I play one, I go back to my arrangers, and go 'Well, THAT'S not quite as good now I played the real thing!'

#372651 - 10/04/13 01:48 PM Re: It's almost depressing... [Re: travlin'easy]
ianmcnll Offline

Why not jam on the oldies?

I'm very happy that you get a chance to play one of those old standbys, Diki, I cut my teeth on those old beauties, and, I agree, it sure is a lot of fun, and even more so when it doesn't have to be moved or set up/down.

Like most here, you must be grateful not to have to lug really heavy gear...what are you using to transport your present setup? Surely you were able to downsize vehicles, too?

Ian

#372654 - 10/04/13 03:57 PM Re: It's almost depressing... [Re: Fran Carango]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: Fran Carango
After reading DonM's post about the new being so much better than the old...I have to decide what to do with my wife now!!! grin

Fran, don't you know that old adage, "Many a good tune played on an old fiddle"? violin

What are you using as a vehicle to haul around your present keyboard setup? Are you able to get by with a car (maybe a hatchback?) or are you using a van or truck?

Aren't you interested in the lighter, more portable BK-9?

Ian

#372657 - 10/04/13 04:38 PM Re: It's almost depressing... [Re: baz66]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By: baz66
Can I make a suggestion for you oldies.
baz

...OR ...
You could take a lesson from us "oldies" who have supported our families, pleased thousands of fans and created beautiful art for MANY, many years before you got started. I still have lots to offer ... and the clients still pay the fare for it.
smile
(I'm sure you were just joking, baz ...)

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online