SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#372553 - 10/02/13 05:54 PM It's almost depressing...
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I was sitting in the office with the PSR-S950 this evening, just tinkering around with some of the new styles and trying to put songs to them. I've come to the stark reality that the keyboard can do more things than even I can imagine, and I thought I was pretty damned good with these things. Today's TOTL and MOTL arranger keyboards have so many features, voices, styles, built-in programs, etc...that it would take someone years to explore and utilize every aspect of the keyboard. What amazing machines we have, and at a very affordable price.

One of the things that really amazed me was the new vocal processors. They're absolutely fantastic. Today, while performing at a local retirement community, I paid careful attention to my vocals. I had a bit of a sore throat from performing 22 jobs in 18 days, and I sing every song. I thought my voice might end up sounding a bit rough, but this was not the case. Several people came up to me and said my vocal was outstanding, better than ever. I sincerely believe the PSR-s950's onboard vocal processor has a lot to do with this.

The depressing thing is that this keyboard wasn't available two decades ago. If it were, the way this technology has advanced, there's no telling what would be available today. Every time I press one of the voice demo buttons I'm blown away by what I hear. I wish I had the playing ability of Chas, Captain Russ, Don Mason, Diki, and most other folks on this forum. If that were the case, I think I would be in keyboard heaven.

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#372554 - 10/02/13 06:16 PM Re: It's almost depressing... [Re: travlin'easy]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
I remember seeing a video from Craig Knudsen for Yamaha that had total pitch correction software for their keyboards. He sung the national anthem totally off key and flat- the processor made him sound like a professional arena singer..amazing. I don't think that made it into their keyboards after the beta test though.
In fact, here it is! Come to think of it, I might have seen it here.

Pitch Correction-Krazy Kooky Korrection Karaoke

#372559 - 10/02/13 06:39 PM Re: It's almost depressing... [Re: travlin'easy]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Considering that it wasn't all that long ago I had to carry between 4 and 7 keyboards to do duty in the four and five piece bands I played in.

Now, with only ONE arranger keyboard, and, if I so choose, I don't even need the band.

Someone started a thread on what one of our old keyboards we would want back...hell, when I have an instrument that fills the role of every keyboard in my past, does it admirably well, with remarkable reliability, portability, great key feel, and in magnificent stereo sound, why would I want to go backwards?

Ian

#372579 - 10/03/13 09:34 AM Re: It's almost depressing... [Re: travlin'easy]
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
If you had a house gig with a real B3, a real piano, a Rhodes, a Clavinet, etc., would anyone honestly STILL prefer to play their arranger?

Arrangers and modern keyboards certainly are convenient, but, IMO, they still have a VERY long way to go to sound as good as the originals.

#372586 - 10/03/13 10:36 AM Re: It's almost depressing... [Re: travlin'easy]
ianmcnll Offline

That's the rub, Diki..."house gig"...if we all had that luxury we probably could still use those old monsters.

Unfortunately, bands break up, we get older, and less enthusiastic about moving heavy gear, house gigs are literally unknown in my area, so it's the arranger that takes over, and admirably so, at least in my case.

I get to play a Rhodes 73 and a lovely B-3 with a Leslie, usually twice a month at a jam session, and, whilst it's a treat, I certainly don't feel I've taken a step down when I come home and play my Tyros4. It's emulations of those classic instrument are extremely well done, plus it has features that were only a gleam in the developer's eye back when those old dinosaurs ruled the stage.

I only have one keyboard from my past (sold the Jupiter 8), which is a little Yamaha CS-01, a minuscule monster of an analog mono-synth (with breath controller) and I've mainly kept that because it's takes up very little room here in my apartment and it sounds terrific played through my T4's line in.

I honestly do not miss my old gear...I sold it, or part exchanged it, for good, valid reasons, and they would still apply very much today.

Ian

#372595 - 10/03/13 12:03 PM Re: It's almost depressing... [Re: travlin'easy]
Diki Online   content

I play enough old instruments in studios and at friend's places to perhaps remember what was so good about them.

Yes, OF COURSE lugging a B3 around is not an option for most of us (me included), but that doesn't change what makes the old stuff so good! If you honestly think your Tyros's B3 is anything more than a pale shadow of the real thing, perhaps your hearing has gone with your lifting strength?! LOL

#372602 - 10/03/13 12:45 PM Re: It's almost depressing... [Re: travlin'easy]
ianmcnll Offline

Nope, hearing is actually better, since I was wise enough, over the years, to use ear protection. I hope you did the same. LOL. I wrote this bit a tad louder just in case.<grin>

Lifting strength has never been the issue...I'm lazy, and I just like lighter, more manageable gear, that has the sounds that appeal to me...it's just a more intelligent (and convenient) way of operating my business.

No one is saying that the old stuff didn't have redeeming qualities...the sounds it made defined the way a lot of music has been written and played. That's why digital pianos, samplers, emulators, VST's and clonewheels have such great appeal and sell so well. They reproduce the sound, but in lighter, more convenient and sometimes more affordable, packages.

My old gear served it's purpose, and it was time to move on...as I said earlier, I sold/replaced my old gear for perfectly valid reasons, and have no dreams of buying any of it again.

Ian

#372605 - 10/03/13 12:58 PM Re: It's almost depressing... [Re: travlin'easy]
Diki Online   content

If only they reproduced the sound more accurately! Convenience is one thing, sonic accuracy is yet another!

Don't get me wrong... you know full well I use the convenience of arrangers. In fact, I am happy as a sandboy that Roland came out with a new arranger with most of the best features from the G70, added back my beloved Chord Sequencer, and made it a 76 with a great feeling keybed and still kept the weight under 21 lbs.

But compare it to a real B3, or a Rhodes? Never. I think the BK-9's B3 sim is the best I have ever heard, comparable to the best clonewheels out there. But not comparable to a REAL B3! The Rhodes sounds are as good as I have heard from a synth... but not from a Rhodes!

I prefer convenience too... but I won't elevate them to being the equal of the originals!

#372610 - 10/03/13 01:17 PM Re: It's almost depressing... [Re: Diki]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I still use a B-3, 2 147RV's, a suitcase Rhodes and a DX-7 on a house gig at a country club affiliated with the University. I've been a member since the mid-70's and have worked many, many jobs there over the years. These old dinosaurs have been stored there since I left my house gig at the Campbell house in 1983.

Maintenance is awful (read EXPENSIVE), I pay some of the help (an old country preacher M-1 player who works as a waiter) to move between rooms. At peak season, I sometimes have three holiday gigs on a Saturday, before my evening job.

My other jobs involve much smaller and lighter gear, but, man, about 4 nights a month, it's time to play "The Cat"!
Jazz night draws approximately 400 members and the few "jazzers" who can really play often join me...one time, it's a tenor/flute..another, a great guitarist, etc.

What FUN!

Russ(lucky old SOB) Lay

Edited by captain Russ (10/03/13 01:24 PM)

#372611 - 10/03/13 01:28 PM Re: It's almost depressing... [Re: captain Russ]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Thanks, Gary, but the ability to entertain is a natural skill that some of us (especially ME) just don't have. Vocally, I do a lot of commercial work, but am not built to sing a lot on stage.

Modesty is a fine trait, but not necessary, in your case!

R.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online