SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#371421 - 09/01/13 12:20 AM Re: When I'm wrong ... I say I'm wrong... [Re: jamman]
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.
Originally Posted By: jamman

When you demo Korg styles ,they are not repetitive and good to listen if played by itself (16 bars with over riffs including relatively busier and unconventional bass and ac 1-3 lines at the 4th/8th/12th and 16th bar, minor fills on the first two sounds good but once you sing on top of it (even with the heavy muting), insufficiencies come up ,mainly busy bass and ac lines in 3rd or 4th variations .They also have to kill some of the song specific styles with riffs and over recognizable famous song.
So what happens? Can't use that style even though you lIke the drum pattern and the groove unless you do heavy editing with mediocre results (end product cant compete with the competition.

O

Could not disagree more here. ALL styles in the nineties were pretty boring due to the fact that they had 4 bars only. Korg was the first to shy away fromt this. It all comes down to tweaking my friend. You can not add what is not there, but you can simply take away what is too much or not right according to your hearing. smile

regards,
John

#371423 - 09/01/13 12:46 AM Re: When I'm wrong ... I say I'm wrong... [Re: Uncle Dave]
ytlevine Offline

Originally Posted By: Uncle Dave
I think it's a vast improvement on the 800 in these areas:
1) key feel - it's fantastic
2) size/weight ratio - perfect size in my opinion.
3) sounds are improved ... more DNC ... cleaner guitars
4) TC Helicon says that the internal units are almost identical, but only designed by TC - Korg assembles them on site 100%.
5) better touch screen and more ergonomic layout - so many cool buttons
6) MP3 recording - did the 800 do this? I forget, and did the 800 have the chord sequencer?

For the size/weight/keyfeel and sounds alone - I'd rather have this on my stand. I've owned the 800, and it was not of the same caliber.

UD - any thoughts on how the PA900 compares to the PA3X in these areas?
Thanks!

#371444 - 09/01/13 10:41 PM Re: When I'm wrong ... I say I'm wrong... [Re: Uncle Dave]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Hmmmm ... compare the 3x to the 900, OK:
1) Key feel - comparable, edge to the 3x
2) Size/weight - edge to the 900 ... lighter AND has speakers
3) even as far as I remember - both fantastic.
4) TC - 3x is better, but now that I'm impedance matched, the 900 is a close second - better than Roland or Yamaha for sure.
(Fran ... don't even weigh in here - we know ... the G70 rocks)
wink
5) screen seems for consistent on the 900 - maybe it's calibrated better, or just fresh and new - both great
6) recording - seems even here too.

The edges:
900 - price, speakers
3x - harmonizer, sliders, multiple outs, XLR mic in, (sampling?)

If the 900 had an XLR mic input, and dual outs - it'd be really hard to beat the value. It's hard to beat right now, IMHO.

#371446 - 09/01/13 11:39 PM Re: When I'm wrong ... I say I'm wrong... [Re: Uncle Dave]
ytlevine Offline

Thanks, sounds along the lines of what I thought.
The PA3X seems to be working well for me, but the PA900 sure seems like it has some powerful bang for the buck...
Happy you got things working, and enjoy!

#371447 - 09/01/13 11:51 PM Re: When I'm wrong ... I say I'm wrong... [Re: Uncle Dave]
Uncle Dave Offline

I really do love it - the speakers make the sacrifices all worth while for me!
Tonight I used the PA900 - into the Bose Compact (no mixer) - no iPad, no outboard anything ... my mic - (with adapter!), keyboard sounds - Bose stick = awesome coverage and great reaction from the crowds.

#371448 - 09/02/13 12:35 AM Re: When I'm wrong ... I say I'm wrong... [Re: Uncle Dave]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Slightly off topic . . .
I had a job out on a lake Saturday, about an hour and a half away. I got there and had forgotten my Tascam recorder, but wanted to record some stuff to see if recent tweaks helped or hurt.
Anyway, I had not used the internal recorder at all, but I found it was really easy and quick to use and it worked great. Just push SHIFT and RECORD, then start. When the song ends, push Stop. It automatically saves to Take 1, Take 2, etc, or you can rename. It's faster to rename later.
By default it saves to the HD, or you can elect to save directly to the USB drive. Transferred to PC when I got home. Everything was clear, good levels and unfortunately it sounded exactly like me. smile
Just another great feature on the PA3X. There are many more I haven't even touched yet.
DonM

#371452 - 09/02/13 05:54 AM Re: When I'm wrong ... I say I'm wrong... [Re: DonM]
billyhank Offline

Don,

It works exactly the same way on the Pa900.

I really am liking this keyboard - wonder when Korg will release the Pa4x?

Bill G

#371461 - 09/02/13 08:32 AM Re: When I'm wrong ... I say I'm wrong... [Re: Uncle Dave]
124 Offline

^ This. The lack of sliders, EC5 input, and an XLR input swayed me away from the Pa900. Onboard speakers are of no concern to me, but I have to have the best onboard harmoniser. Now, if the Pa4X has the 900's screen in addition to the above, then it sounds like my next board.

#371463 - 09/02/13 08:44 AM Re: When I'm wrong ... I say I'm wrong... [Re: Uncle Dave]
Uncle Dave Offline

There was nothing wrong with the 3x screen .. I think this one is just newer and calibrated better, that's all. The 3x sounds perfect for you.
If Korg is smart - they'll release a PA950 with XLR and and audio in feature - raise the price $300-400 and they can still keep a market for both models.

#371464 - 09/02/13 08:45 AM Re: When I'm wrong ... I say I'm wrong... [Re: Uncle Dave]
Uncle Dave Offline

One thing I'd like to see Korg do is copy the Yamaha "random play" feature in the audio player.

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online