SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#371386 - 08/30/13 06:50 PM Re: When I'm wrong ... I say I'm wrong... [Re: Uncle Dave]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Well, Zuki, I don't want to get too far off Dave's topic, but I'm working on getting a duo together next spring with a well known guitarist/vocalist. He is also retired from his day job, and wants to work about the same frequency as I do, which would be no more than twice a month.

At 64, and although I am enjoying my retirement, I'm realizing a few more limitations, but I still want to do some playing besides performing here at my apartment for friends who come by to listen.

I worked in a similar (guitarist/vocalist and keyboards) duo when I was living in Newfoundland some time ago and it was a lot of fun. Plus, I liked the social atmosphere and, of course, the challenge of doing interesting arrangements (as well as the extra loot...ha ha!). We played at a big fancy Yacht Club twice a month. There are a few such clubs here on Cape Breton Island, so it will be worth a look.

If I could sing even half as good as you, Dave, DonM, Gary and Donny (and other fine vocalists on SZ) I'd probably do a single, but I'm only good for backup vocals and the occasional song, and the duo setup seems to be a better sell around the area. Time will tell. At least I have the gear part of it looked after and paid for.

The PA-900 appears to be a fine instrument...hopefully you can find a workaround for loading your old sets. We were lucky to have Michael Bedesem and Jørgen to make special programs to let Yamaha arranger owners use data (registrations/styles) from older instruments, in newer ones. Not perfectly, in some cases, but still a great time saver.

Maybe someone at Korg can do the same for you guys?

In any case, the best of luck with any future endeavors.

Ian

#371387 - 08/30/13 07:27 PM Re: When I'm wrong ... I say I'm wrong... [Re: PraiseTheLord]
PraiseTheLord Offline

Loc: N Fort Myers, FL, USA
Well that was quick. Shure say, since I have a 1/4 inch connection on the PGXD4 receiver use that in this case. Makes sense. I'll try it out this weekend.

#371390 - 08/30/13 07:56 PM Re: When I'm wrong ... I say I'm wrong... [Re: Uncle Dave]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Generally, unless it specifically says TRS only, any 1/4" output is going to be unbalanced. Some things are set to be balanced if you use a TRS, and unbalanced if you use TS 1/4" jacks.

But it's rare to find a 1/4" output that is balanced ONLY.

#371391 - 08/30/13 08:27 PM Re: When I'm wrong ... I say I'm wrong... [Re: tony mads usa]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By: tony mads usa
UD ... what Elec piano voice did you use for the first version?
thank you

Aw man... Fran asked me that same question - I don't remember!
I know it has a stereo pan in in and I THINK it was a suitcase preset. I'll try and find out.
frown

#371392 - 08/30/13 08:30 PM Re: When I'm wrong ... I say I'm wrong... [Re: zuki]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By: zuki
I'll get one on order soon.

I highly recommend it ... and, yes - the key feel "IS" Fantastic. Fran is old and tired from lugging that monster G70 around - he has no control of his facilities anymore - It's a wonder they still let him drive.
smile

#371394 - 08/30/13 08:43 PM Re: When I'm wrong ... I say I'm wrong... [Re: ianmcnll]
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
Well, Zuki, I don't want to get too far off Dave's topic, but I'm working on getting a duo together next spring with a well known guitarist/vocalist. He is also retired from his day job, and wants to work about the same frequency as I do, which would be no more than twice a month.

At 64, and although I am enjoying my retirement, I'm realizing a few more limitations, but I still want to do some playing besides performing here at my apartment for friends who come by to listen.

I worked in a similar (guitarist/vocalist and keyboards) duo when I was living in Newfoundland some time ago and it was a lot of fun. Plus, I liked the social atmosphere and, of course, the challenge of doing interesting arrangements (as well as the extra loot...ha ha!). We played at a big fancy Yacht Club twice a month. There are a few such clubs here on Cape Breton Island, so it will be worth a look.

If I could sing even half as good as you, Dave, DonM, Gary and Donny (and other fine vocalists on SZ) I'd probably do a single, but I'm only good for backup vocals and the occasional song, and the duo setup seems to be a better sell around the area. Time will tell. At least I have the gear part of it looked after and paid for.

The PA-900 appears to be a fine instrument...hopefully you can find a workaround for loading your old sets. We were lucky to have Michael Bedesem and Jørgen to make special programs to let Yamaha arranger owners use data (registrations/styles) from older instruments, in newer ones. Not perfectly, in some cases, but still a great time saver.

Maybe someone at Korg can do the same for you guys?

In any case, the best of luck with any future endeavors.

Ian

Hi Ian, You could team up with one of those Cape Breton Island fiddlers. We were up there in July and heard some incredible fiddle music with a fiddler and pianist. It's really quite an art form. And it's such a beautiful place.

Joe

#371400 - 08/31/13 12:06 AM Re: When I'm wrong ... I say I'm wrong... [Re: Uncle Dave]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Hi Joe..."fiddle" accompaniment is not one of my strong points, although I have managed to play behind one of the local players using my arranger, of all instruments shocked . Certainly no where near as flexible as a piano (some fiddlers have their own "sense" of timing, if you know what I mean) wink .

My favorite fiddler is Natalie MacMaster, who is not only easy on the eyes, but one of Cape Breton Island's best players...she was one of the first "traditional" players to use a Hammond B-3 on some of her recordings (it blended perfectly with the fiddle sound). Another favorite fiddler is the Cape's "wild boy", Ashley MacIssac, a far edgier player than Natalie, and, like her, several times a music award winner.

Cape Breton Island is a lovely place to live....glad you could visit our little sanctuary.

Ian

#371407 - 08/31/13 09:16 AM Re: When I'm wrong ... I say I'm wrong... [Re: Uncle Dave]
124 Offline

I'll vouch for that, Ian - I've got family in Sydney. If anyone's into Celtic music, then there's the annual Celtic Fall Colours festival, I think it's called. Great music in gorgeous settings.

#371416 - 08/31/13 11:21 PM Re: When I'm wrong ... I say I'm wrong... [Re: Uncle Dave]
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
Originally Posted By: Uncle Dave
Back to the subject!

Styles - there are SO many conversions out there and so far ... almost NONE sound worth a crap without major tweaking, so I am now in the mindset of our Eastern musician friends - it's time to program or modify what I really need. No one is going to make this an "Uncle Dave" signature model but me, so that's my next quest. As soon as school starts again (next week), my summer schedule will relax a bit and I plan on spending time each night in making the styles more and more what I need. The problem is not that Korg makes bad styles - the problem is that they made TERRIFIC styles 15 years ago and got bored with the same-ole/same-ole and started doctoring them up and fancifying them ... now they're too fancy for MOTR work. I want simple patterns. I have lots of ballroom trained dancers that need a structured beat - I'll provide the fluff with my chords and vocals, but I want Ringo on the job ... and SOON!
(and that's all I have to say about that) ...

Style issue is pretty standard for Korg and the other reason that Yamaha is getting away with not so great hardware and drums.

Korg should invest in simple style writing and mainly on 8/16/ballad/dance/ ( not funk and rap)4/4 area with not so busy bass lines.(need more 8 beats than new age/jazz funk styles).Yamaha knows exactly how to do it.
Korg also have to fix occasional hiccups after the fills(even in some 900's styles)
The term "repetitive " in 4/4 styles short measures (but simple) does wonders as accompanying vocals.Ringo's beat work for most songs.No crazy fills and in your face riffs which are good for one song and can't use else where.

When you demo Korg styles ,they are not repetitive and good to listen if played by itself (16 bars with over riffs including relatively busier and unconventional bass and ac 1-3 lines at the 4th/8th/12th and 16th bar, minor fills on the first two sounds good but once you sing on top of it (even with the heavy muting), insufficiencies come up ,mainly busy bass and ac lines in 3rd or 4th variations .They also have to kill some of the song specific styles with riffs and over recognizable famous song.
So what happens? Can't use that style even though you lIke the drum pattern and the groove unless you do heavy editing with mediocre results (end product cant compete with the competition.

Only the western arrAnger players who use arranger styles as the main act will notice and report /complain about this particular problem.(not talking about SMFers or drum machiners(LH bass/RH piano players).Again not talking about mid east,Balkans or East Eurp music.Maybe Korg doesn't care since their main arranger market is mid east/Balkans.
Same is true for Yamaha (targeted audience or most of the TOTL/MOTL sales come from US/uk and Asia(east and south east).

Edited by jamman (08/31/13 11:50 PM)

#371420 - 09/01/13 12:17 AM Re: When I'm wrong ... I say I'm wrong... [Re: Uncle Dave]
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
The busier more funky styles are precisely why I prefer korg over any other arranger ! Everyone has different needs and that's why there is such choice .

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online