SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#371366 - 08/30/13 12:31 PM Re: When I'm wrong ... I say I'm wrong... [Re: Uncle Dave]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Graham,

Much of this will depend upon the mic you are using and if the impedance of the input system matches that of the mic. If everything matches up pretty closely, then an impedance matching transformer adapter is not necessary, and it can sometimes cause problems.

If the output of your wireless receiver is going to the keyboard's line in then nothing more is needed. Most of the wireless systems are line out voltage and match up just fine with any line in system.

Hope this helps,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#371369 - 08/30/13 12:55 PM Re: When I'm wrong ... I say I'm wrong... [Re: Uncle Dave]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Well Graham,
I've never had to use a transformer cable since the 80s, but apparently, Korg has designed a mic input that really is quite fussy about impedance.
Here's the simplest way I can describe why you need it:
All mics are either hi or low impedance (That's the resistance that the mic creates in the energy path to the amp), so a low impedance mic will present a very small level of resistance to the input, and a high impedance mic will produce quite a bit more. Makes sense, right?

In the past, I've used a cable that had an XLR at the mic end and a 1/4 at the amp end and it simply connected the pins from the mic to the tip and sleeve of the jack. That used to be enough, but in a more particular setting, like this new Korg ... the built in mic input EXPECTS a high gain signal, and if you don't use a transformer (or transformer cable) the impedance will be mismatched. Like the round peg/square hole analogy.

A simple in-line transformer will raise the impedance of a low-z mic to match the impedance of the Korg input, so there is no signal loss. Signal loos translates into less than beautiful tone and clarity. You can get transformers all over, but they are about 3-4 inceh long and will stick out of your keyboard, just BEGGING to be bumped into and broken, so I recommend a cable with the transformer built right in, IF you're using a Lo-z mic, like a Shure SM57,58 or the EV 767, 757, 747 etc. There are high z mics out there (Radio Shack, Best Buy), but the sound quality is not up to what you're probably used to, so I think the cable is a better solution.
Check this out and call one of our dealer friends:

http://www.rapcohorizon.com/p-62-transformer-microphone-cable.aspx

Good luck!

#371370 - 08/30/13 01:02 PM Re: When I'm wrong ... I say I'm wrong... [Re: Uncle Dave]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By: Uncle Dave
I think it's a vast improvement on the 800 in these areas:
1) key feel - it's fantastic
2) size/weight ratio - perfect size in my opinion.
3) sounds are improved ... more DNC ... cleaner guitars
4) TC Helicon says that the internal units are almost identical, but only designed by TC - Korg assembles them on site 100%.
5) better touch screen and more ergonomic layout - so many cool buttons
6) MP3 recording - did the 800 do this? I forget, and did the 800 have the chord sequencer?

For the size/weight/keyfeel and sounds alone - I'd rather have this on my stand. I've owned the 800, and it was not of the same caliber.

Here are 2 demos.. one made before I adjusted the mic a bit and one with a better master EQ. (I think)

I got a chance to check out Dave's PA900 this afternoon...and I pretty much agree with Dave's opinion compared to the PA800...without the "fantastic" comment grin

The keybed is surpizingly way better than any of the PA series (Speaker models)..First thing I did was check under the keys for weights smile

The larger touch screen is better than previous models..

I still have a problem with the effects set up, and the design of the harmonizer lacks what I am use to..

For a grand less ..street price..why would anyone want a PA800?

#371372 - 08/30/13 01:37 PM Re: When I'm wrong ... I say I'm wrong... [Re: Uncle Dave]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Come on, Fran. Everyone knows it has already been decided by the experts that key feel is absolutely unimportant..!

#371374 - 08/30/13 02:02 PM Re: When I'm wrong ... I say I'm wrong... [Re: Uncle Dave]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Nice to see you get this worked out, Dave...it seems to be quite an improvement over the PA-800, and, now that you have the microphone issues under control(kudos to Fran for his expert advice), you will be able to fully exploit your cool new arranger.

It's nice when we find an instrument that serves our needs very thoroughly...I feel the same way about my Tyros4.

No more searching...just pure playing/performing enjoyment.

Ian

#371377 - 08/30/13 02:46 PM Re: When I'm wrong ... I say I'm wrong... [Re: Fran Carango]
zuki Offline

Originally Posted By: Fran Carango
Originally Posted By: Uncle Dave
I think it's a vast improvement on the 800 in these areas:
1) key feel - it's fantastic
2) size/weight ratio - perfect size in my opinion.
3) sounds are improved ... more DNC ... cleaner guitars
4) TC Helicon says that the internal units are almost identical, but only designed by TC - Korg assembles them on site 100%.
5) better touch screen and more ergonomic layout - so many cool buttons
6) MP3 recording - did the 800 do this? I forget, and did the 800 have the chord sequencer?

For the size/weight/keyfeel and sounds alone - I'd rather have this on my stand. I've owned the 800, and it was not of the same caliber.

Here are 2 demos.. one made before I adjusted the mic a bit and one with a better master EQ. (I think)

I got a chance to check out Dave's PA900 this afternoon...and I pretty much agree with Dave's opinion compared to the PA800...without the "fantastic" comment grin

The keybed is surpizingly way better than any of the PA series (Speaker models)..First thing I did was check under the keys for weights smile

The larger touch screen is better than previous models..

I still have a problem with the effects set up, and the design of the harmonizer lacks what I am use to..

For a grand less ..street price..why would anyone want a PA800?

Wow! This is enough good news for me smile Thanks. I'll get one on order soon.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#371380 - 08/30/13 05:10 PM Re: When I'm wrong ... I say I'm wrong... [Re: zuki]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: zuki

Wow! This is enough good news for me smile Thanks. I'll get one on order soon.

Zuki, are you considering a return to gigging in the near future? I have taken some time off (1 year) to rework a few things, and I don't really miss it much yet, but, I'm guessing I'll soon be wanting that nice feeling we get from performing.

Will you do the same type of gigs, or do you have a new plan?

You were a big fan of the PA-800 (and PA3X I believe as well) so I'm guessing you won't take long familiarizing yourself with the PA-900...did you keep your previous performance settings?

Ian

#371381 - 08/30/13 05:59 PM Re: When I'm wrong ... I say I'm wrong... [Re: Uncle Dave]
zuki Offline

Hi Ian,

Not performed since 3/11. Still have my hands full with a day job, but thought about working on material for a few months to see how I feel then.

Doesn't seem the 900 loads in 800 stuff that easy (yes, kept my sets).

Body is not young and I'd only do 6 - 10 a month.

How about you?

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#371382 - 08/30/13 06:15 PM Re: When I'm wrong ... I say I'm wrong... [Re: zuki]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
UD ... what Elec piano voice did you use for the first version?
thank you

#371385 - 08/30/13 06:49 PM Re: When I'm wrong ... I say I'm wrong... [Re: tony mads usa]
PraiseTheLord Offline

Loc: N Fort Myers, FL, USA
Thanks Gary and Dave, I understand the theory better now. I have written to Shure support to get their opinion on the cable I should use for my specific wireless system. It does not say whether it's hi-z or lo-z.

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online