SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#371346 - 08/30/13 07:36 AM Re: When I'm wrong ... I say I'm wrong... [Re: Uncle Dave]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Redhead? Did someone mention redheads????????
smile

#371349 - 08/30/13 08:10 AM Re: When I'm wrong ... I say I'm wrong... [Re: Uncle Dave]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
A Cajun redhead? WOW! Now that could be a real painful combination for UD. wink

I'll believe it when I see Dave cross the Mason/Dixon Line at a high rate of speed and fuel consumption!

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#371350 - 08/30/13 08:14 AM Re: When I'm wrong ... I say I'm wrong... [Re: Uncle Dave]
Uncle Dave Offline

Hey ... I just might do that.

#371351 - 08/30/13 08:16 AM Re: When I'm wrong ... I say I'm wrong... [Re: travlin'easy]
Uncle Dave Offline

Remember THIS??????
Mmmmmm

Attachments
kryptonite-redhead.jpg

#371353 - 08/30/13 08:37 AM Re: When I'm wrong ... I say I'm wrong... [Re: Uncle Dave]
Dnj Offline

cool2

Attachments
redhead_girl___ballpoint_pen_by_vianaarts-d5531ab.jpg

#371356 - 08/30/13 09:08 AM Re: When I'm wrong ... I say I'm wrong... [Re: Uncle Dave]
Uncle Dave Offline

Oh my ... the green eyes, the freckles ... I'm in deep, babe.

#371357 - 08/30/13 09:23 AM Re: When I'm wrong ... I say I'm wrong... [Re: Uncle Dave]
Uncle Dave Offline

Back to the subject!

OK - a few more revelations about how stupid I am.
I guess when I first got the 900, I was so used to the ultra-light keybed (Yamaha) action, that I adjusted the sensitivity to a similar response and it made the piano much too loud for the mix and the tracks. That issue has now been resolved by setting the sensitivity to a medium number, instead of a soft setting.
You've all heard about how the mic NEEDS to be a hi-z signal ... use a transformer cable for best results. I tried an outboard preamp, but I was so frustrated at that point that I really didn't fuss enough - I'm sure a mic pre would do the same thing, if it has 1/4" outs and you don't mind extra gear to lug and plug. I prefer simple ... as long as it sounds good, and it does ... now.
Styles - there are SO many conversions out there and so far ... almost NONE sound worth a crap without major tweaking, so I am now in the mindset of our Eastern musician friends - it's time to program or modify what I really need. No one is going to make this an "Uncle Dave" signature model but me, so that's my next quest. As soon as school starts again (next week), my summer schedule will relax a bit and I plan on spending time each night in making the styles more and more what I need. The problem is not that Korg makes bad styles - the problem is that they made TERRIFIC styles 15 years ago and got bored with the same-ole/same-ole and started doctoring them up and fancifying them ... now they're too fancy for MOTR work. I want simple patterns. I have lots of ballroom trained dancers that need a structured beat - I'll provide the fluff with my chords and vocals, but I want Ringo on the job ... and SOON!
(and that's all I have to say about that) ... thanx, Forrest.

Lastly, I have to reiterate how much my dear friends on this forum have helped me in this quest for "the sound" - it's been a particularly hard transition for me. Could be age. Could be product. Maybe a combination of the both, but I honestly can't remember having so much trouble making a new instrument "mine" in the past 2o years or so. They ALL worked great right away for me. Go figure.

So, off to the store to grab a spare transformer cable and then - back to the editing room!

Thanx guys and gals .. I LOVE this forum. Always have - always will.
smile

#371359 - 08/30/13 10:23 AM Re: When I'm wrong ... I say I'm wrong... [Re: Uncle Dave]
zuki Offline

one more time UD and I'll shut up:

Do you think the 900 is on par, better or worse than the 800? I love the 800, but did not like the 500/600. I am trying to make sure the 900 is not off the 600 platform.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#371364 - 08/30/13 12:20 PM Re: When I'm wrong ... I say I'm wrong... [Re: zuki]
Uncle Dave Offline

I think it's a vast improvement on the 800 in these areas:
1) key feel - it's fantastic
2) size/weight ratio - perfect size in my opinion.
3) sounds are improved ... more DNC ... cleaner guitars
4) TC Helicon says that the internal units are almost identical, but only designed by TC - Korg assembles them on site 100%.
5) better touch screen and more ergonomic layout - so many cool buttons
6) MP3 recording - did the 800 do this? I forget, and did the 800 have the chord sequencer?

For the size/weight/keyfeel and sounds alone - I'd rather have this on my stand. I've owned the 800, and it was not of the same caliber.

Here are 2 demos.. one made before I adjusted the mic a bit and one with a better master EQ. (I think)

Attachments
zFlyme.MP3 (75 downloads)
flyme new.MP3 (72 downloads)

#371365 - 08/30/13 12:20 PM Re: When I'm wrong ... I say I'm wrong... [Re: zuki]
PraiseTheLord Offline

Loc: N Fort Myers, FL, USA
Hi Dave, they say the only stupid question is the one you don't ask, so here goes. What's a transformer cable?

I currently use an unbalanced TS to female XLR cable to fit in to my Shure PGXD4 wireless receiver. According to the specs of that the PGXD4 is an impedance balanced configuration.

So, in your opinion, would you use a different cable? If so, what?

Many thanks for pioneering this for us!

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online