SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#371295 - 08/29/13 09:40 AM When I'm wrong ... I say I'm wrong...
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I stole that quote from Jerry Orbach in "Dirty Dancing" and it fits the situation to a TEE.

I hereby retract all my whining, complaining, outspoken criticisms of the PA900s TC vocal processor. It's such an eyeopener for a man of "seasoned" age to be reminded of the simple truths sometimes, and thanks to my dear friend Fran .... that's what has happened today. Listen up:

ALL MY CONCERNS ABOUT THE TONE ARE RELATED TO THE UNBALANCED CABLE. I don't know how I missed that, because I used outboard preamps, in-line mixers and different mics with the same results. Today, I hooked up an impedance transformer to my EV 767a mic and BAM! it's clean. (I feel so stupid)

I've never had that issue before, so I was reluctant to try it, but it's a 100% improvement. My sincere apologies to Korg and TC Helicon for my premature evaluation. (no nasty comments, please!) smile

Sigh ... old dog, new trick learned.

I'll fiddle with the settings and post an new audio demo this afternoon. As silly as I feel ... I'm also VERY EXCITED that I can use this thing the way I wanted to!!!!!!!!!!

Yayyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!

One quick thing I tried was to process only the harmonies through the dynamics section - it allows more natural expression from my lead signal, and with the impedance matching transformer - it's much, much cleaner. I'll make several records to confirm, but I'm SO RELIEVED that I found (rather FRAN found) the problem to my sonic woes. Whew.

(Nobody puts Baby in a corner) LOL

Attachments
IMG_2974.jpg

Description: Me, smiling.

#371299 - 08/29/13 09:51 AM Re: When I'm wrong ... I say I'm wrong... [Re: Uncle Dave]
zuki Offline

Oh my God!!!!!!!!!!! This is awesome news my friend. Can you testify also that the 900 is everything and even more than the 800?

Keep smiling..........we are all so blessed smile

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#371300 - 08/29/13 10:01 AM Re: When I'm wrong ... I say I'm wrong... [Re: Uncle Dave]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Glad to see you have that all cleared up Dave...now, full steam ahead on your new keyboard!

Ian

#371301 - 08/29/13 10:14 AM Re: When I'm wrong ... I say I'm wrong... [Re: Uncle Dave]
adimatis Offline

Loc: Oradea, RO
Good, good, good!
Now you post some to "repair" the error! wink
Please try that one thing, with the hard panned harmonies and lead voice in the centre. And maybe you can do a harmony-only demo. I am curious how it sounds now, with the proper cable.
Thanks!

Edited by adimatis (08/29/13 10:23 AM)

#371302 - 08/29/13 10:26 AM Re: When I'm wrong ... I say I'm wrong... [Re: Uncle Dave]
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
I think I mentioned the unbalanced part in an earlier post. I'm glad it turned out to be something so simple.

I must confess, though... at that price point, what on earth are Korg doing cutting THAT corner? That's a pretty ridiculous design decision, to make the mike in unbalanced on a $2000 arranger, when everyone that buys one is going to have a balanced, low impedance mike. They probably saved themselves $5 in parts. That's pretty much the definition of boneheaded!

The PA800 had a switched balanced/unbalanced input (automatic) TRS input... why did they mess with that?

#371303 - 08/29/13 10:28 AM Re: When I'm wrong ... I say I'm wrong... [Re: adimatis]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
OK - here's 2 test runs in "cleantown"
One with arranger and one with manual bass.
I'll fiddle with levels all day and make some better ones tonight. I'm off ALL DAY to play!

Attachments
flyme.MP3 (163 downloads)
cabdriver fx.MP3 (142 downloads)

#371306 - 08/29/13 10:45 AM Re: When I'm wrong ... I say I'm wrong... [Re: Uncle Dave]
adimatis Offline

Loc: Oradea, RO
Yeah, what a difference!

#371307 - 08/29/13 10:47 AM Re: When I'm wrong ... I say I'm wrong... [Re: Uncle Dave]
Dnj Offline

Good news Dave, human error eh? lol ....as for the demos...
Fly Me excellent!! & clean! dance2

....but to my ears cab driver VH for some reason the VH doesn't sound quite right verses the stand alone unit or PA3x for that matter unless its your setting..? headphone

I wish I had your persistence as you know where that KB would be if I had these problems.. mad

Edited by Dnj (08/29/13 10:48 AM)

#371308 - 08/29/13 10:53 AM Re: When I'm wrong ... I say I'm wrong... [Re: Uncle Dave]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Ain't it amazing how the obvious just sometimes up and kicks you square in the butt! wink

Good luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#371309 - 08/29/13 10:55 AM Re: When I'm wrong ... I say I'm wrong... [Re: Uncle Dave]
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
Great singing, as always, Dave.

I must confess, not that impressed by the VH yet. But maybe that's just settings. I have to confess, I really don't like that big block harmony sound, even on some of the best standalone VH's, but that's mostly a musical choice. If you listen to most of the real groups that do that, you rarely hear them all block 100% of the time. If the harmonies don't split off now and again from the lead, it just sounds a bit contrived, to me.

I'd be a LOT more interested in what the VH does in the way of one female or one male tenor above your voice, or one up, one down and no doubling on the melody. That's probably a lot closer in voicing to 99% of all harmony background stuff out there. Block voicing is one thing, but one voice VH is the real test of whether it sounds real or not.

Looking forward to hearing some more. Your voice always makes me feel good!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online