SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#368085 - 06/24/13 12:20 PM Re: Might have a S950 for Sale [Re: hammer]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I would love to use the Roland G70 and the Lionstracs MediaStation...on every job I do...and yes the Roland BK5 could easily do the same job. grin

The benefits are all mine, not the audience.. .

As long as I can deal with the weight and carrying extra gear..I would be happiness with the two keyboard set up...Practical..nope smile

But the main reason I play is for my enjoyment..what better than two keyboards with the best key feel in the business, touch screens, and each of them with strenghts that are at the top of the field..all packaged together in a 100 pound combo grin

It feels so wimpy setting up a 16 pound keyboard, that does it all cool

I also think folks get rid of their keyboards before they even know how to use them...I know I heard folks say..I don't need certain features...but if they learned how to use them, it would be a different story...

I figured out the problem, all my "old friends" keep complaining about the weight, and almost convinced me to their thinking...I didn't even consider a light weight keyboard even a few short years ago..I always wanted the best, and that was top of the line..and yes it weighed a bit more, or you knew it lacked quality construction..

It sort of reminds me of old pickup basketball games...youn grin g kids had the shooting eye and quickness, but the older, wiser thugs , I mean players knew that bulk and heavier body just would wear the youngsters (light weights) down..Same with the G70 and BK5 wink

#368086 - 06/24/13 01:44 PM Re: Might have a S950 for Sale [Re: hammer]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
LOL, Fran...

I have to confess, I don't mind the light weight of the BK-9 at all! But, if Roland came out with a BK-10 using the same action, touch screen and build quality as the G70 (and all the features from the G70 that have gone bye-bye!), I have to confess, I'd probably ditch the BK-9 and go back to something 20 lbs. heavier!

For me, it's about capability, not weight!

Mind you, the E60 sported a 76 and speakers only 7 lbs more than the BK-9, and that had the touch screen... and that's only 2 lbs. more than an S950!

I think Roland could give us a touch screen BK with a decent 76 at under 30 lbs. easy. Leave off the speakers, it ought to be easy!

#368095 - 06/25/13 02:22 AM Re: Might have a S950 for Sale [Re: hammer]
Mockie Offline

Loc: Dublin Ireland
Originally Posted By: hammer
Thinking about selling my S950. I might be moving into the Korg world.

Deane

Deane, hold your PSR950 and get a Korg as well, maybe have

another look at the PA600 or maybe the Pa900 if it finally appears.

Frank

#368096 - 06/25/13 05:46 AM Re: Might have a S950 for Sale [Re: hammer]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
I don't think there is any doubt as players, all of us enjoy the TOTL keyboards more than others. I would not argue that point with anyone. My situation is I had cervical spine surgery in August and might be looking at lumbar spine surgery for stenosis in the near future. For me, weight and size became a must consider rather than my ability to handle the gear. I would not have considered changing from my T4 had I not had to deal with the spine thing. On the other hand, when I started using lighter gear such as my little KMA or the S950 my audiences did not seem to care at all. Keep in mind, I don't play clubs or dances anymore. My audiences are 100 percent old folks living in retirement communities or assisted living facilities.

Yes, I will take a serious look at the specs of the PA900 when available as well as the BK-9 if I can get my hands on one in a local store. So far, not a single music outlet in the Dallas or Ft Worth area carries the BK-9.. go figure.

Deane

#368104 - 06/25/13 09:16 AM Re: Might have a S950 for Sale [Re: hammer]
Diki Offline

I think we really need to see the inclusion of an arpeggiator in an affordable arranger before they become popular enough to get widespread in modern music stores.

Let's face it, we are a tiny fraction of stage and WS sales, and our arrangers are usually primarily set up to emphasize musics that no self-respecting kid (up to age 30, I'd say! LOL) is going to want to play! There has been a huge shift in music since our day, but our arrangers don't reflect it much. Everything else out there (including VERY inexpensive keyboards) includes an arpeggiator of some kind or another. Other than the Audya (outside most people's budget, and almost impossible to see in a store), no arranger includes an arpeggiator.

TBH, the BK-9, if an arpeggiator was tacked on, has most of the features that youngsters enjoy... audio loop playback, plenty of sliders to mess with the sound while it plays, etc..

But that arpeggiator is a must.

Deane, you might also consider that the BK-9 may be shipping out as fast as they get them in, in the initial rush to buy them, and also, how many OTHER $2500 arrangers are easily seen in the same area? Round my small market, there are no S950's, PA800's or BK-9's, let alone TOTL arrangers!

But I still feel our keyboard of choice is doomed to an ever dwindling market segment unless something modern gets grafted on. The arranger has much to offer modern players, but some features are needed, and a large portion of the NH type styles need dropping. How are you going to sell an arranger to a youngster if it is stuffed with ballroom dancing, bossa and samba styles? Even for us, the CONTENT is what sells us the arranger. Most of us happily give up on far more capable arrangers when there is less content or it doesn't suit our tastes.

Imagine you were a kid, would you touch an arranger with a barge-pole?

#368110 - 06/25/13 10:28 AM Re: Might have a S950 for Sale [Re: hammer]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
[quote=

Yes, I will take a serious look at the specs of the PA900 when available as well as the BK-9 if I can get my hands on one in a local store. So far, not a single music outlet in the Dallas or Ft Worth area carries the BK-9.. go figure.

Deane [/quote]

You may want to check with Lancaster music. They have been carrying Roland arrangers for awhile.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#368112 - 06/25/13 11:24 AM Re: Might have a S950 for Sale [Re: hammer]
Diki Offline

Have you asked them to get one in?

#368113 - 06/25/13 12:44 PM Re: Might have a S950 for Sale [Re: Diki]
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
Originally Posted By: Diki

Other than the Audya (outside most people's budget, and almost impossible to see in a store), no arranger includes an arpeggiator.

?

And psr e433 which has arpeggiator/USB to device for instant song playback, pitch band only and 2 variations.(BOTL)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008I1XD2A/ref=redir_mdp_mobile

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-i...oards/psr-e433/

Costs $249.

Edited by jamman (06/25/13 12:48 PM)

#368114 - 06/25/13 12:52 PM Re: Might have a S950 for Sale [Re: Diki]
Rfinnshw Offline

Loc: Vero Beach, Florida
TOTL adds are things like samplers so few of us use, paying an extra $2000 or so makes little sense...

Diki, excellent point !!! I don't use a Sampler feature...and was beginning to think...it was only me that does not use this feature.. clap

#368115 - 06/25/13 01:18 PM Re: Might have a S950 for Sale [Re: DonM]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: DonM
Don't need Infinity or Mercedes, but WANT is different!
smile
DonM

ABSOLUTELY !!! ... I have decided that I am at the age where I will fulfill a NEED with a WANT ... I NEEDED to replace my 13 year old Honda - great car, 178M miles, but needed brakes and front end work ... I didn't think it was worth the investment ... bought (leased) what I WANTED - 2013 Cadillac CTS4 Sedan - beautiful car, beautiful ride ... and the 'as needed all wheel drive' will be great in the Winter ... along with our BMW 325Ci rag top for the Summer and my GMC Sonoma pick up for gigs, I am a HAPPY driver ... grin

Meanwhile, back to the topic ... keys

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online