miden Offline

Loc: The World
No probs Diki, I knew you were not doing so smile

#365348 - 04/20/13 05:21 PM Re: PC help needed [Re: Diki]
joso Offline

Loc: Denmark
Hi

Originally Posted By: Diki
I don't want to start a Mac/PC debate. I am simply trying to offer a solution to the OP's problem. In over 20 years of Mac use, I have NEVER needed to even think about anything as complicated as Donny's post! My Mac's started up, did what they were supposed to, and stayed out the way.

BTW, Mac's aren't as prone to viruses and other malware not because they aren't worth it for hackers to try (though that might have been true back in the OS8-9 years) but because OSX is based on Unix, an enterprise level OS that was designed for security and flexibility. Plenty of hackers TRYING, these days. OSX's firewall and sandboxing are bombproof.

My point was that, a computer is a TOOL. Buy the most reliable tool you can get (the heck with the cost!) and all you ever worry about from that day on is the JOB, not the tool!

But you are starting this debate... And with false statements...
Please read http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-17623422
600,000 Macs infected...

Sorry, had to respond...

Jørgen

#365368 - 04/21/13 08:35 AM Re: PC help needed [Re: Diki]
adimatis Offline

Loc: Oradea, RO
...Buy the most reliable tool you can get (the heck with the cost!)

Right! Now, where's that gold mine you're talking about?...

#365384 - 04/21/13 12:57 PM Re: PC help needed [Re: tony mads usa]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
A Mac is still less than most of our arrangers cost. And often, as vital to our job. Take a look at TCO (total cost of operation) and Macs come out quite competitive when you subtract everything you are currently spending, from virus and malware protection, to trips to the Geek Squad, to basic apps that come free with a Mac, to your own time (pretty valuable) spent pulling your hair out trying to get your PC to run at full speed.

And Jørgen... This was a Java vulnerability, not core OSX. From over a year ago (that's how far back you have to look), was promptly patched, and we haven't had one since (I never got it). And please... 600,000 Macs? How many MILLIONS of PC systems are currently infected with one sort of malware or another..? Currently...

All I'm saying is, all I ever hear from my PC friends is problem after problem. When was the last time you read anyone here with a Mac asking for help?

#365410 - 04/21/13 07:05 PM Re: PC help needed [Re: Diki]
joso Offline

Loc: Denmark
Hi

Really no idea in discussion further, as long as you keep sticking to and promoting a MYTH. ;-)

Read http://www.techspot.com/news/51689-new-m...connection.html (2 months ago)

And many other, just google "mac virus"...

EOD

Regards
Jørgen

#365427 - 04/22/13 06:55 AM Re: PC help needed [Re: Diki]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
When was the last time you read anyone here with a Mac asking for help?

'Nuff said...

#365440 - 04/22/13 09:31 AM Re: PC help needed [Re: tony mads usa]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
I would like to add one thing fwiw - I have been a PC user since MS-DOS 3, but if I did not have so much money tied up in Windows music software I would switch to a Mac in a heartbeat!!

I use windows ONLY out of necessity, not enjoyment of the OS I can assure you.

I have used MACS on a short term basis in the past and each time I came away so close to just doing it and hang the consequences it was scary!!

This post is just one of those 2cents moments wink

#365441 - 04/22/13 09:51 AM Re: PC help needed [Re: tony mads usa]
Dnj Offline

So if Mac would lower their prices they would be the leaders in consumer computer use if they are that much better...seems like a logical business decision and a financial plus for them.

#365443 - 04/22/13 09:58 AM Re: PC help needed [Re: tony mads usa]
124 Offline

I think it's just that PC's were out of the gate first and got a good foothold before Apple came along.

#365447 - 04/22/13 11:44 AM Re: PC help needed [Re: 124]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Originally Posted By: 124
I think it's just that PC's were out of the gate first and got a good foothold before Apple came along.

It’s the opposite actually, Apple got there foot hold in first with the Mac, PCs got going later. (They had been out a number of years before they really got going thanks to Microsoft)

Apple was a closed system so they had full control and could charge as much as they could get away with, PCs allowed anyone in, thus a boatload of competition meant low prices and masses of software and hardware. Because of this competition PCs virtually saw off Apple, and if they had not been successful with the iPod they would probably now no longer exist.

Apple has now re-built the name for itself and once more people are happy to fork out a boatload of dosh to buy into the Apple brand. (Even though technically in a lot of areas they fall well short of their cheaper completion)

Things however are a changing so it will be interesting to see how they get on in the future. (They haven’t held the No.1 phone slot for ages)

Bill

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online