SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#362381 - 03/01/13 05:59 PM KORG VS YAMAHA in Middle range Keyboards
KORG80 Offline

Hi everyone I'm Don from Southern Ontario Canada. I've been playing and singing with instrumental accompaniment for many years. Guitar used to be my main instrument until I taught myself how to play keyboard and discovered what a good arranger keyboard could do for a guy who likes to sing. Started with a Yamaha PSR 500 (ancient)then progressed to a Korg IX300 and have been playing and singing with my Korg PA80 for years now. Recently started looking into modern equivalents of my Korg PA 80 and rented a PA800. I liked it but not for the price and also to my ear, I get better vocal harmonies from my dedicated floor pedal Digitech Vocalist 4. I've looked at the PA600 and was pretty impressed. Actually liked it better than the big brother PA800 and found it worked with the preamp in my harmonizer so I could continue to perform in the same manner as I'm accustomed to with my PA80.

My music store brought in a Yamaha PSR S950 and I tried it today and was impressed by the sound quality and excellent guitar sounds. Not so impressed with the keyboard action. Pretty chintzy for a $2000 instrument. Does anyone have feedback on the vocal harmonizer onboard the PSR S950? I plan to go back to the store with my headset mike and check for myself but would appreciate hearing from any of you who use this keyboard THANKS!

God Bless,
Don

#362388 - 03/01/13 08:18 PM Re: KORG VS YAMAHA in Middle range Keyboards [Re: KORG80]
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
Originally Posted By: KORG80

My music store brought in a Yamaha PSR S950 and I tried it today and was impressed by the sound quality and excellent guitar sounds. Not so impressed with the keyboard action. Pretty chintzy for a $2000 instrument. Does anyone have feedback on the vocal harmonizer onboard the PSR S950? I plan to go back to the store with my headset mike and check for myself but would appreciate hearing from any of you who use this keyboard THANKS!

God Bless,
Don

Psr s950's VH 2 is not as good as Helicon is PA 800.
If you don't need , audio styles,mp3 playback, extra SA sounds and Built in VH (since you already have digitech) , S750 ( S910 in a box minus VH and Mp 3 playback) can be a good value.All styles upto 910 will be compatible).

Styles wise especially if you play US/UK (western music ),you can find thousands of styles and afew good hundreds.

Limitation of Korg will appear afew weeks after you purchased the KB especially for a arranger player.great drums/pad/seq/song book etc. but like most Korg arranger owners (non Balkan or middle eastern, style playing players, not Smf / sequencing / home studio musicians) style hunting will end in disappointment (just check Korg forums and talk to owners) . Chord triggering is also smoother in Yamaha and slash chords/voicing sound more natural without in your face issues. Simple bass lines are the key and sometimes Korg doesn't get it.

Yamaha has the more styles avail than other manufactures combined.(the whole Pa 80 style sets in freely avail , they even have for ix300 (I loved x3 the compact
size and keys with after touch ) if I'm not mistaken.

In other words , ( if you want to invest in an arranger for long term use) ,there are converted styles from ALL manufacturers that are workable for Yamaha. Not the other way around (mainly for mega voice mappings).
Yamaha do suck in keys( bad for inspiration),hardware and drums.it compensate in good usable sounds and more importantly vast styles avalibility for solo players for fast song creation ( if you don't want to rely only on SMFs).

To the original Q, if you can't afford a tyros, get a 750 , use your digitech and wait for the next big thing with more money in the pocket while making music and create songs faster.

Hope this helps .

I see this as IOS(Yamaha ) vs Android(korg and others). More edit/functionality in Android but lack of apps and third party support compared to IOS.

Edited by jamman (03/01/13 08:48 PM)

#362392 - 03/01/13 11:26 PM Re: KORG VS YAMAHA in Middle range Keyboards [Re: KORG80]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Your Vocalist will blow away any arranger built-in harmonizer. Maybe Korg comes close, but you've already nixed the TOTL arrangers. You've already got the Vocalist, stick with it!

Pay careful attention to the drums in the PA600 vs. the Yamaha's. Depending on whether you like a good live sound or want a more polished, CD-like sound, this may make a difference to your choice.

And, as budget seems to be an issue, take a good listen to a Roland BK-5 as well. Very punchy drums, loads of styles (probably more than the Korg) and a decent action... and nearly half the price of a PSR S950.

#362394 - 03/02/13 01:09 AM Re: KORG VS YAMAHA in Middle range Keyboards [Re: Diki]
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.

As folks overhere know by now I have the Korg PA800 in combination with the PSR750. A great combination but as you seem to prefer the (cheaper) new PA600, count your blessings, add a PSR750 to it ( as Diki says you already have a very good harmoniser) and be happy. Perhaps it I had not already had the PA800 I would have gone for the same solution. Price wise I think nothing beats a combination Korg PA600 + Yamaha PSR750.

regards,
John

#362402 - 03/02/13 08:14 AM Re: KORG VS YAMAHA in Middle range Keyboards [Re: KORG80]
Dnj Offline

I'm not a piano player so I love the Light FAST key action on Yamaha arrangers. It took a while but the S950 after 50 gigs is really starting to come to the front of the pack and impress me every time I play it. There is something Sonically different in a very "good way" vs all the other PSR/S arrangers Ive owned including my old Tyros also thru the years....can't put my finger on it yet but all I can say I'm enjoying performing with it so far.

#362404 - 03/02/13 08:18 AM Re: KORG VS YAMAHA in Middle range Keyboards [Re: Dnj]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Originally Posted By: Dnj
....can't put my finger on it yet but all I can say I'm enjoying performing with it so far.

rotf2 I can, nothing new has been released yet wink

#362405 - 03/02/13 08:21 AM Re: KORG VS YAMAHA in Middle range Keyboards [Re: jamman]
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
As a Korg owner there are plenty of styles available for the PA series. Be real how many styles does a person need. And to me the styles from Korg are so much better then the cheesy Yamaha styles.

#362407 - 03/02/13 08:38 AM Re: KORG VS YAMAHA in Middle range Keyboards [Re: KORG80]
Happy Birthday scameron Offline

Hi everyone...having been a korg and yamaha user for many years...I have found that using the 2 together does indeed present ample opportunites regarding performance options...currently i use a pa50sd with a psr s910 on gigs and find it's a great solution...together they make for almost unlimited options when blending and finding a style that works for almost any song type.

Steve
mox8, psr s910, microarranger, pa50sd, psr 2000 and cx3

#362409 - 03/02/13 08:57 AM Re: KORG VS YAMAHA in Middle range Keyboards [Re: FransN]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: FransN
As a Korg owner there are plenty of styles available for the PA series. Be real how many styles does a person need. And to me the styles from Korg are so much better then the cheesy Yamaha styles.

Yes, it doesn't really matter anyway as many of you strip the styles down to bare minimum anyway as stated in other posts confused1 .....that said,....in the hands of a pro the new, and with some hours put in to do your homework as with ANY KB, S950 sounds terrific, nuff said. Brand loyal I'm not,.....
what concerns me is what works for MY NEEDS...enjoy whatever you have chosen to make music with.

Edited by Dnj (03/02/13 08:58 AM)

#362413 - 03/02/13 09:37 AM Re: KORG VS YAMAHA in Middle range Keyboards [Re: KORG80]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I agree that, at least to me, the 950 sounds better than previous PSRs. Not talking Tyros 4 here though, because I have limited time on one of those.
I'm not going to carry two arrangers around, as any of the modern middle or top arrangers can do the job very well.
If I were younger, or had a roadie, now that's a different story!
I would have an Audya and a Tyros 4 with me at all times. Sometimes I might even USE the Tyros 4. smile
DonM

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online